Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

The Official Halo MCC "Why was I banned?" thread

OP stckrboy

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 15
  4. 16
  5. 17
  6. 18
  7. 19
  8. ...
  9. 47
AshamanND wrote:
i get ddos'd pretty often when i play mcc, how many times can that happen to me before im crucified by your automated system? should i even bother playing right now?
update: crucified after 1 game. seems the only players this system protects are the cheaters. well done 343, another hallmark patch
Report legitimate DDoS incidents to Postums.
Quote:
Dear Players who DDOS, I do not want to ban anyone. But after living through bridged hosts and cheaters in the past, I know you don’t deserve to play Halo. I will find you, and I will handle you. For reporting them, please tag me and provide video if possible of cheaters. @343Postums
that would actually do nothing but waste more of my time
<p></p>
Then you're really just part of the problem.
343 is actively saying they are going to deal with cheaters.
If you have legitimate proof of someone cheating and you are not reporting it, then you either:
  1. Don't really care about the game (why are you posting)
  2. Protecting them for some reason
  3. Don't have the proof anyway
holy moly that is some backwards brainwashed logic. im the reason this game is flooded with cheaters, you got me. couldnt be because players get suspended every time they disconnect, making it a literal trolling gold mine for people that dont even want to play the game but just ruin peoples day. the real problem is the people that didnt see this coming and people like you that sit and wait to blindly defend their 343 overlords like they can do no wrong. now please explain to everyone how you know EXACTLY who is invoking a ddos attack against you when youre playing halo. Then, also explain to me why i should be wasting my time creating a report that isnt going to get me unbanned, isnt going to get my rank back, isnt going to save me from getting banned the next time it happens, and isnt going to actually stop someone from doing it again (they can change their IP and make a new gamertag in 30s, and thats IF you actually find out who is doing it) instead of playing halo on my only day off, without fear of me/my friends getting suspended for 24 hours, like i had intended. this kind of thing has been happening to me since i was a kid so ive learned to use a VPN or firewall my connection, but not everyone does that or cares enough about halo to do that, and im sick of getting matched up against cheaters in almost 50% of my games cause all the kids that dont cheat are getting banned and have all started playing fortnite again. and if you have time after youre done with the above, explain to me how you care about the game more than me? because im actually here defending the hundreds, if not thousands at this point, of innocent players that are being crucified for getting hit offline and dont care/know enough to come here and post it. you on the other hand, blindly defend a broken system, accuse me of protecting scumbags, and flame me for being a victim of ddos. if caring is degrading and alienating players, then youre right i dont care.
AshamanND wrote:
i get ddos'd pretty often when i play mcc, how many times can that happen to me before im crucified by your automated system? should i even bother playing right now?
update: crucified after 1 game. seems the only players this system protects are the cheaters. well done 343, another hallmark patch
Report legitimate DDoS incidents to Postums.
Quote:
Dear Players who DDOS, I do not want to ban anyone. But after living through bridged hosts and cheaters in the past, I know you don’t deserve to play Halo. I will find you, and I will handle you. For reporting them, please tag me and provide video if possible of cheaters. @343Postums
that would actually do nothing but waste more of my time
<p></p>
Then you're really just part of the problem.
343 is actively saying they are going to deal with cheaters.
If you have legitimate proof of someone cheating and you are not reporting it, then you either:
  1. Don't really care about the game (why are you posting)
  2. Protecting them for some reason
  3. Don't have the proof anyway
holy moly that is some backwards brainwashed logic. im the reason this game is flooded with cheaters, you got me. couldnt be because players get suspended every time they disconnect, making it a literal trolling gold mine for people that dont even want to play the game but just ruin peoples day. the real problem is the people that didnt see this coming and people like you that sit and wait to blindly defend their 343 overlords like they can do no wrong. now please explain to everyone how you know EXACTLY who is invoking a ddos attack against you when youre playing halo. Then, also explain to me why i should be wasting my time creating a report that isnt going to get me unbanned, isnt going to get my rank back, isnt going to save me from getting banned the next time it happens, and isnt going to actually stop someone from doing it again (they can change their IP and make a new gamertag in 30s, and thats IF you actually find out who is doing it) instead of playing halo on my only day off, without fear of me/my friends getting suspended for 24 hours, like i had intended. this kind of thing has been happening to me since i was a kid so ive learned to use a VPN or firewall my connection, but not everyone does that or cares enough about halo to do that, and im sick of getting matched up against cheaters in almost 50% of my games cause all the kids that dont cheat are getting banned and have all started playing fortnite again. and if you have time after youre done with the above, explain to me how you care about the game more than me? because im actually here defending the hundreds, if not thousands at this point, of innocent players that are being crucified for getting hit offline and dont care/know enough to come here and post it. you on the other hand, blindly defend a broken system, accuse me of protecting scumbags, and flame me for being a victim of ddos. if caring is degrading and alienating players, then youre right i dont care.
The number of players that ddos is nowhere near 50%. Other than the occasional jerk who tries to bait people to betray them, and the idle people, I haven't seen any cheaters. But I don't assume someone is cheating just because they are a lot better than me (not saying you do, but a lot of people make that assumption). Most people getting banned aren't being ddos'd or having connection issues, most are just mad they're getting bans for quitting when their team is getting stomped.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, or post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
AshamanND wrote:
i get ddos'd pretty often when i play mcc, how many times can that happen to me before im crucified by your automated system? should i even bother playing right now?
update: crucified after 1 game. seems the only players this system protects are the cheaters. well done 343, another hallmark patch
Report legitimate DDoS incidents to Postums.
Quote:
Dear Players who DDOS, I do not want to ban anyone. But after living through bridged hosts and cheaters in the past, I know you don’t deserve to play Halo. I will find you, and I will handle you. For reporting them, please tag me and provide video if possible of cheaters. @343Postums
that would actually do nothing but waste more of my time
<p></p>
Then you're really just part of the problem.
343 is actively saying they are going to deal with cheaters.
If you have legitimate proof of someone cheating and you are not reporting it, then you either:
  1. Don't really care about the game (why are you posting)
  2. Protecting them for some reason
  3. Don't have the proof anyway
Spoiler:
Show
Look, I'm sure you're a great person, and I'm not trying to insult you.
But I don't think you're approaching this situation in a very constructive manner.

And I'm sorry for the second point in my original post to you. It wasn't constructive and it was wrong of me to suggest you are supporting ddosers. It was kinda toxic of me and probably created more harm than good - something I don't want and am not proud of. That said, I disagree with a lot of what you just posted, and I'll try to address each point you mentioned below.

Let me start by saying for the record that I do not blindly support 343. Your comment there is completely ignorant.
If you would have taken the time to read through this thread, you would plainly see the comments I've made, and that I think the ban system is flawed. I do think it is better than having no ban system, but yes, it needs SERIOUS work. So let's say that is something you and I agree on.

Quote:
holy moly that is some backwards brainwashed logic. im the reason this game is flooded with cheaters, you got me.
Not what I said. I said you are PART of the problem.
If you have legitimate proof of a cheater or ddoser, a video of it happening, and you are unwilling to share it with 343, then I stand by my statement that you are PART of the problem.

Quote:
now please explain to everyone how you know EXACTLY who is invoking a ddos attack against you when youre playing halo.
I never said I did. If you claim to be getting ddosed, the burden of proof is on you.

Quote:
Then, also explain to me why i should be wasting my time creating a report that isnt going to get me unbanned, isnt going to get my rank back, isnt going to save me from getting banned the next time it happens, and isnt going to actually stop someone from doing it again (they can change their IP and make a new gamertag in 30s, and thats IF you actually find out who is doing it) instead of playing halo on my only day off, without fear of me/my friends getting suspended for 24 hours, like i had intended.
  • It probably won't get you unbanned. And I agree that is a problem with the current automatic ban system. I've repeatedly said that it should allow for at least one freebie per day. I find it unlikely that you would get ddosed more than once per day - and as it seems like you kinda know what you're doing, you could probably avoid it.
  • For your rank, well you need to live with it. Sucks, I know. But, not reporting a ddoser is just letting them continue to do what they are doing to other people.
  • If the system were changed to give you one freebie per day, well then yes you'd be fine the next time it happened (ban wise).
  • If you are playing in a match against 4 people and feel like you've been ddosed, but don't know by who - REPORT IT ANYWAY! Do you not think that 343 has the ability to look into things a little further than you? Even if they don't, they can use the data in aggregate to get a picture of who it might be.
    If player A on a team of 4 is the one doing it, and the whole team gets reported to 343, they can't do anything after one report. But if player A continues this, in different groups of 4, and each of those groups keeps getting reported, the pattern will reveal itself. By not reporting it, you are PART of the problem!
Quote:
(they can change their IP and make a new gamertag in 30s, and thats IF you actually find out who is doing it)
If the person can be identified, yep they can change their gamertag and IP - no problem. But ddosing isn't just against 343's rules for Halo matchmaking - it is also against the MS terms of service for Xbox Live. And Console bans are a real thing that can happen. I think 343 has a close enough relationship that they could pass along information about cheaters to MS and have MS enact a console ban. That would certainly help, as ddosers probably aren't interested in shelling out for a new console everytime theirs gets banned.
Quote:
im sick of getting matched up against cheaters in almost 50% of my games cause all the kids that dont cheat are getting banned and have all started playing fortnite again.
Don't use statistics you can't back up.

Quote:
and if you have time after youre done with the above, explain to me how you care about the game more than me?
I never said I did.
But if you aren't taking action on cheaters and still think you care, then I can't help you.

Quote:
you on the other hand, blindly defend a broken system, accuse me of protecting scumbags, and flame me for being a victim of ddos.
  1. I've NEVER blindly defended the ban system. That's an ignorant remark. I've defended the need for a ban system, and the fact that this is better than none. But I've ALWAYS criticized the ban system and lobbied for changes.
  2. You're right, my point there was a little harsh and uncalled for. I overreacted and posted something stupid. I know you aren't defending ddosers. I'm just tired of people coming onto the forums to complain WITHOUT OFFERING SOLUTIONS. You did that and I struck out at you. Sorry.
To quickly summarize:
  • Sorry for accusing you of protecting them. I know you aren't, and it was wrong of me to insinuate it.
  • I do not think the current ban system is good. Read more of my previous posts and you'll see as much.
  • If you have been ddosed, take a video and report it. If you don't, then I still believe you are part of the problem.
W58 wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
i get ddos'd pretty often when i play mcc, how many times can that happen to me before im crucified by your automated system? should i even bother playing right now?
update: crucified after 1 game. seems the only players this system protects are the cheaters. well done 343, another hallmark patch
Report legitimate DDoS incidents to Postums.
Quote:
Dear Players who DDOS, I do not want to ban anyone. But after living through bridged hosts and cheaters in the past, I know you don’t deserve to play Halo. I will find you, and I will handle you. For reporting them, please tag me and provide video if possible of cheaters. @343Postums
that would actually do nothing but waste more of my time
<p></p>
Then you're really just part of the problem.
343 is actively saying they are going to deal with cheaters.
If you have legitimate proof of someone cheating and you are not reporting it, then you either:
  1. Don't really care about the game (why are you posting)
  2. Protecting them for some reason
  3. Don't have the proof anyway
Spoiler:
Show
This man has the courage to speak up about the real issue here. Its unreal how severe the ban system is. If you lag out, which happens every other game, you are penalized. Lag out 3 times in a night, one hour ban. Its hard enough to find games as it is, I imagine it will only get more difficult as skynet auto bans every player. Something needs to be done, however I guarantee you we will have to wait months.
Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/EiU7AEO.jpg
You're right in that this guy is speaking up about real issues. I was just annoyed that he didn't seem to want to help fix it.
I agree that the current ban system needs to change. Luckily 343 DOES listen, and they've already made a change to it since it was implemented. They've openly said they are listening to our feedback and will updated it as needed going forward.
I doubt it will be months before another change, but yes it does take time.

343 actually takes in a lot of information and consideration for their decisions. They don't implement changes with the flick of a switch. It has to be tested, and crafted for a specific purpose and goal, and that takes time.

The best thing we can do is voice our opinions, offer our suggestions, and report problems, bugs, and cheaters. Changes will be made, of that I'm confident.
AshamanND wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
i get ddos'd pretty often when i play mcc, how many times can that happen to me before im crucified by your automated system? should i even bother playing right now?
update: crucified after 1 game. seems the only players this system protects are the cheaters. well done 343, another hallmark patch
Report legitimate DDoS incidents to Postums.
Quote:
Dear Players who DDOS, I do not want to ban anyone. But after living through bridged hosts and cheaters in the past, I know you don’t deserve to play Halo. I will find you, and I will handle you. For reporting them, please tag me and provide video if possible of cheaters. @343Postums
that would actually do nothing but waste more of my time
<p></p>
Then you're really just part of the problem.
343 is actively saying they are going to deal with cheaters.
If you have legitimate proof of someone cheating and you are not reporting it, then you either:
  1. Don't really care about the game (why are you posting)
  2. Protecting them for some reason
  3. Don't have the proof anyway
Spoiler:
Show
Look, I'm sure you're a great person, and I'm not trying to insult you.
But I don't think you're approaching this situation in a very constructive manner.

And I'm sorry for the second point in my original post to you. It wasn't constructive and it was wrong of me to suggest you are supporting ddosers. It was kinda toxic of me and probably created more harm than good - something I don't want and am not proud of. That said, I disagree with a lot of what you just posted, and I'll try to address each point you mentioned below.

Let me start by saying for the record that I do not blindly support 343. Your comment there is completely ignorant.
If you would have taken the time to read through this thread, you would plainly see the comments I've made, and that I think the ban system is flawed. I do think it is better than having no ban system, but yes, it needs SERIOUS work. So let's say that is something you and I agree on.

Quote:
holy moly that is some backwards brainwashed logic. im the reason this game is flooded with cheaters, you got me.
Not what I said. I said you are PART of the problem.
If you have legitimate proof of a cheater or ddoser, a video of it happening, and you are unwilling to share it with 343, then I stand by my statement that you are PART of the problem.

Quote:
now please explain to everyone how you know EXACTLY who is invoking a ddos attack against you when youre playing halo.
I never said I did. If you claim to be getting ddosed, the burden of proof is on you.

Quote:
Then, also explain to me why i should be wasting my time creating a report that isnt going to get me unbanned, isnt going to get my rank back, isnt going to save me from getting banned the next time it happens, and isnt going to actually stop someone from doing it again (they can change their IP and make a new gamertag in 30s, and thats IF you actually find out who is doing it) instead of playing halo on my only day off, without fear of me/my friends getting suspended for 24 hours, like i had intended.
  • It probably won't get you unbanned. And I agree that is a problem with the current automatic ban system. I've repeatedly said that it should allow for at least one freebie per day. I find it unlikely that you would get ddosed more than once per day - and as it seems like you kinda know what you're doing, you could probably avoid it.
  • For your rank, well you need to live with it. Sucks, I know. But, not reporting a ddoser is just letting them continue to do what they are doing to other people.
  • If the system were changed to give you one freebie per day, well then yes you'd be fine the next time it happened (ban wise).
  • If you are playing in a match against 4 people and feel like you've been ddosed, but don't know by who - REPORT IT ANYWAY! Do you not think that 343 has the ability to look into things a little further than you? Even if they don't, they can use the data in aggregate to get a picture of who it might be.
    If player A on a team of 4 is the one doing it, and the whole team gets reported to 343, they can't do anything after one report. But if player A continues this, in different groups of 4, and each of those groups keeps getting reported, the pattern will reveal itself. By not reporting it, you are PART of the problem!
Quote:
(they can change their IP and make a new gamertag in 30s, and thats IF you actually find out who is doing it)
If the person can be identified, yep they can change their gamertag and IP - no problem. But ddosing isn't just against 343's rules for Halo matchmaking - it is also against the MS terms of service for Xbox Live. And Console bans are a real thing that can happen. I think 343 has a close enough relationship that they could pass along information about cheaters to MS and have MS enact a console ban. That would certainly help, as ddosers probably aren't interested in shelling out for a new console everytime theirs gets banned.
Quote:
im sick of getting matched up against cheaters in almost 50% of my games cause all the kids that dont cheat are getting banned and have all started playing fortnite again.
Don't use statistics you can't back up.

Quote:
and if you have time after youre done with the above, explain to me how you care about the game more than me?
I never said I did.
But if you aren't taking action on cheaters and still think you care, then I can't help you.

Quote:
you on the other hand, blindly defend a broken system, accuse me of protecting scumbags, and flame me for being a victim of ddos.
  1. I've NEVER blindly defended the ban system. That's an ignorant remark. I've defended the need for a ban system, and the fact that this is better than none. But I've ALWAYS criticized the ban system and lobbied for changes.
  2. You're right, my point there was a little harsh and uncalled for. I overreacted and posted something stupid. I know you aren't defending ddosers. I'm just tired of people coming onto the forums to complain WITHOUT OFFERING SOLUTIONS. You did that and I struck out at you. Sorry.
To quickly summarize:
  • Sorry for accusing you of protecting them. I know you aren't, and it was wrong of me to insinuate it.
  • I do not think the current ban system is good. Read more of my previous posts and you'll see as much.
  • If you have been ddosed, take a video and report it. If you don't, then I still believe you are part of the problem.
no the problem is youre thinking about it one dimensionally, what would taking a video prove? there is no such evidence that exists to prove someone is hitting you offline unless they actually tell you they are hitting you offline. i think thats what you dont really understand, but you seem to think its my fault because im not able to catch ghosts. there was never a problem before people started getting banned for disconnecting, i used my VPN and dealt with the cheaters that way because that is the only thing that anybody can do. ask anyone from your ISP, there is no way of finding out who is behind a ddos attack. 343 know this as well, which is why no one has ever been banned for ddosing. PJ legitimately held pro players hostage for an entire year during halo reach, and i just played a game against the kid a month ago on MCC. if you think no one reported him with the tens of thousands of people watching it happen live on a daily basis, to more than just one person, then idk what to tell you.
AshamanND wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
i get ddos'd pretty often when i play mcc, how many times can that happen to me before im crucified by your automated system? should i even bother playing right now?
update: crucified after 1 game. seems the only players this system protects are the cheaters. well done 343, another hallmark patch
Report legitimate DDoS incidents to Postums.
Quote:
Dear Players who DDOS, I do not want to ban anyone. But after living through bridged hosts and cheaters in the past, I know you don’t deserve to play Halo. I will find you, and I will handle you. For reporting them, please tag me and provide video if possible of cheaters. @343Postums
that would actually do nothing but waste more of my time
<p></p>
Then you're really just part of the problem.
343 is actively saying they are going to deal with cheaters.
If you have legitimate proof of someone cheating and you are not reporting it, then you either:
  1. Don't really care about the game (why are you posting)
  2. Protecting them for some reason
  3. Don't have the proof anyway
Spoiler:
Show
[SNIP]
no the problem is youre thinking about it one dimensionally, what would taking a video prove? there is no such evidence that exists to prove someone is hitting you offline unless they actually tell you they are hitting you offline. i think thats what you dont really understand, but you seem to think its my fault because im not able to catch ghosts. there was never a problem before people started getting banned for disconnecting, i used my VPN and dealt with the cheaters that way because that is the only thing that anybody can do. ask anyone from your ISP, there is no way of finding out who is behind a ddos attack. 343 know this as well, which is why no one has ever been banned for ddosing. PJ legitimately held pro players hostage for an entire year during halo reach, and i just played a game against the kid a month ago on MCC. if you think no one reported him with the tens of thousands of people watching it happen live on a daily basis, to more than just one person, then idk what to tell you.
Read through this twitter post and then tell me if you think Postums is straight out lying to people.He's receiving reports from people, and telling them he has handled the infractions.

Quote:
When people are accused, we do an in depth analysis of the players network history, match history, and determine what the player has been doing.
Quote:
When a DDOS happens, you will not only lose connection to the game, but your internet will go down entirely locally. In many cases for many minutes or hours.
Those are directly from Postums. Are you saying he's lying?

I admit my knowledge of ddos attacks is limited, but from my understanding a full on attack results in you not being able to connect to the internet for (up to) hours.
If it's just a simple SINGLE disconnect, then it either isn't a DDOS attack, or it's clearly not someone going all out. If they're not going all out and finding a way to boot you from one match it's probably hard to tell. I agree.
The other likely scenario is that it wasn't an attack and it was just one of the many possibilities for a disconnection. In this case, a relaxation of the ban rules would be helpful. If everyone were allowed 1 quit/dc per day, it would help. Especially because I find it unlikely that anyone should experience enough network issues to be disconnecting several times per day.

Now, back to what (I think) is the main issue about DDOS. If it were a true attack where you can't get back online for hours, clearly you know you've been attacked. Have a video of the match that you were disconnected from. Share that video.
You might now know which of the 4 people was the one who did it.
I go back to my example. Person A is a jerk who DDOS attacks and plays in a group of 4 with 3 other randoms.
If enough people report being attacked with videos and rosters of the group of 4 against them, Person A will always be among that list.
So reporting it DOES help.
More than likely Person A is actually playing in a group of friends, and they're all complicit. So it's easier to track.

I can't comment on this PJ person or what happened during Reach. If action wasn't taken then, that's a problem for people then, not now. Who knows if Bungie was actively taking action against cheaters back then. It's a different company from 343.

If you think that person is currently engaged in DDOS attacks, or other breaches of the Code of Conduct or Terms of Service, report him to both 343 and MS.
I'm not asking you to catch ghosts. I'm asking you to take a video if you get disconnected. Then, if you believe it was because of a DDOS attack, submit it to 343. They'll use the data in aggregate with other reports to create profiles of people and take action!

Quote:
there is no way of finding out who is behind a ddos attack. 343 know this as well, which is why no one has ever been banned for ddosing.
So does that mean Postums is lying?

If you are masking for IP by using a VPN, then how exactly are you being DDOSed and disconnected? That seems to me it's more likely you just plain got disconnected for some other reason, not an attack. And I agree that it isn't fair to be banned for that. It's an issue with the current auto ban system that I agree should be altered.
The problem is - if DC isn't treated the same as a quit, people will just pull out their ethernet cord as soon as they start having a bad match, and Voila! No quit ban! This isn't ideal.
AshamanND wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
i get ddos'd pretty often when i play mcc, how many times can that happen to me before im crucified by your automated system? should i even bother playing right now?
update: crucified after 1 game. seems the only players this system protects are the cheaters. well done 343, another hallmark patch
Report legitimate DDoS incidents to Postums.
Quote:
Dear Players who DDOS, I do not want to ban anyone. But after living through bridged hosts and cheaters in the past, I know you don’t deserve to play Halo. I will find you, and I will handle you. For reporting them, please tag me and provide video if possible of cheaters. @343Postums
that would actually do nothing but waste more of my time
<p></p>
Then you're really just part of the problem.
343 is actively saying they are going to deal with cheaters.
If you have legitimate proof of someone cheating and you are not reporting it, then you either:
  1. Don't really care about the game (why are you posting)
  2. Protecting them for some reason
  3. Don't have the proof anyway
Spoiler:
Show
[SNIP]
no the problem is youre thinking about it one dimensionally, what would taking a video prove? there is no such evidence that exists to prove someone is hitting you offline unless they actually tell you they are hitting you offline. i think thats what you dont really understand, but you seem to think its my fault because im not able to catch ghosts. there was never a problem before people started getting banned for disconnecting, i used my VPN and dealt with the cheaters that way because that is the only thing that anybody can do. ask anyone from your ISP, there is no way of finding out who is behind a ddos attack. 343 know this as well, which is why no one has ever been banned for ddosing. PJ legitimately held pro players hostage for an entire year during halo reach, and i just played a game against the kid a month ago on MCC. if you think no one reported him with the tens of thousands of people watching it happen live on a daily basis, to more than just one person, then idk what to tell you.
Read through this twitter post and then tell me if you think Postums is straight out lying to people.He's receiving reports from people, and telling them he has handled the infractions.

Quote:
When people are accused, we do an in depth analysis of the players network history, match history, and determine what the player has been doing.
Quote:
When a DDOS happens, you will not only lose connection to the game, but your internet will go down entirely locally. In many cases for many minutes or hours.
Those are directly from Postums. Are you saying he's lying?

I admit my knowledge of ddos attacks is limited, but from my understanding a full on attack results in you not being able to connect to the internet for (up to) hours.
If it's just a simple SINGLE disconnect, then it either isn't a DDOS attack, or it's clearly not someone going all out. If they're not going all out and finding a way to boot you from one match it's probably hard to tell. I agree.
The other likely scenario is that it wasn't an attack and it was just one of the many possibilities for a disconnection. In this case, a relaxation of the ban rules would be helpful. If everyone were allowed 1 quit/dc per day, it would help. Especially because I find it unlikely that anyone should experience enough network issues to be disconnecting several times per day.

Now, back to what (I think) is the main issue about DDOS. If it were a true attack where you can't get back online for hours, clearly you know you've been attacked. Have a video of the match that you were disconnected from. Share that video.
You might now know which of the 4 people was the one who did it.
I go back to my example. Person A is a jerk who DDOS attacks and plays in a group of 4 with 3 other randoms.
If enough people report being attacked with videos and rosters of the group of 4 against them, Person A will always be among that list.
So reporting it DOES help.
More than likely Person A is actually playing in a group of friends, and they're all complicit. So it's easier to track.

I can't comment on this PJ person or what happened during Reach. If action wasn't taken then, that's a problem for people then, not now. Who knows if Bungie was actively taking action against cheaters back then. It's a different company from 343.

If you think that person is currently engaged in DDOS attacks, or other breaches of the Code of Conduct or Terms of Service, report him to both 343 and MS.
I'm not asking you to catch ghosts. I'm asking you to take a video if you get disconnected. Then, if you believe it was because of a DDOS attack, submit it to 343. They'll use the data in aggregate with other reports to create profiles of people and take action!

Quote:
there is no way of finding out who is behind a ddos attack. 343 know this as well, which is why no one has ever been banned for ddosing.
So does that mean Postums is lying?

If you are masking for IP by using a VPN, then how exactly are you being DDOSed and disconnected? That seems to me it's more likely you just plain got disconnected for some other reason, not an attack. And I agree that it isn't fair to be banned for that. It's an issue with the current auto ban system that I agree should be altered.
The problem is - if DC isn't treated the same as a quit, people will just pull out their ethernet cord as soon as they start having a bad match, and Voila! No quit ban! This isn't ideal.
almost everyone i play with plays without a VPN, and i took off my VPN to test how bad its getting for myself. and i can say from 1st hand experience it is a full blown epidemic and will only get worse. and i honestly dont care about there ever being a quit ban even if we had IP masking, they already give a substantial derank penalty and honestly a lot of times the kid quitting on my team ends up being a big part of the reason we win in the end. And its not enough evidence to record a game you disconnect from, just because a player disconnects from one game doesnt mean the person that attacked them was even in that game, could be from any game theyve played in the history of that particular IP address. thats just how it works, youre hunting ghosts. sorry to be the one that gives you the harsh reality of gaming online, but if youre not using a VPN or playing a game that has IP masking, youre taking a risk. and im not saying Postums is lying, im sure they do their best to help people with every situation, but anyone will tell you its ghost hunting looking for ddos suspects.
AshamanND wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
i get ddos'd pretty often when i play mcc, how many times can that happen to me before im crucified by your automated system? should i even bother playing right now?
update: crucified after 1 game. seems the only players this system protects are the cheaters. well done 343, another hallmark patch
Report legitimate DDoS incidents to Postums.
Quote:
Dear Players who DDOS, I do not want to ban anyone. But after living through bridged hosts and cheaters in the past, I know you don’t deserve to play Halo. I will find you, and I will handle you. For reporting them, please tag me and provide video if possible of cheaters. @343Postums
that would actually do nothing but waste more of my time
<p></p>
Then you're really just part of the problem.
343 is actively saying they are going to deal with cheaters.
If you have legitimate proof of someone cheating and you are not reporting it, then you either:
  1. Don't really care about the game (why are you posting)
  2. Protecting them for some reason
  3. Don't have the proof anyway
Spoiler:
Show
[SNIP]
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
almost everyone i play with plays without a VPN, and i took off my VPN to test how bad its getting for myself. and i can say from 1st hand experience it is a full blown epidemic and will only get worse. and i honestly dont care about there ever being a quit ban even if we had IP masking, they already give a substantial derank penalty and honestly a lot of times the kid quitting on my team ends up being a big part of the reason we win in the end. And its not enough evidence to record a game you disconnect from, just because a player disconnects from one game doesnt mean the person that attacked them was even in that game, could be from any game theyve played in the history of that particular IP address. thats just how it works, youre hunting ghosts. sorry to be the one that gives you the harsh reality of gaming online, but if youre not using a VPN or playing a game that has IP masking, youre taking a risk. and im not saying Postums is lying, im sure they do their best to help people with every situation, but anyone will tell you its ghost hunting looking for ddos suspects.
Well, I can't say I agree with you in terms of the epidemic status of it.
I don't really have anything else to add other than I pretty much disagree with you that nothing can/is done about it.
If someone is attacking you and they aren't even in your match - well that's just nuts (not you, but the situation - it takes some serious dedication to trolling for someone to be doing that on any kind of large scale to the average player. More likely, some hypothetical person doing that is targeting a specific person for a reason, not the community at large). Like you said, if you suspect that is happening - VPN.

Maybe we can make progress somewhere else - your original post:
Quote:
i get ddos'd pretty often when i play mcc, how many times can that happen to me before im crucified by your automated system? should i even bother playing right now?
update: crucified after 1 game. seems the only players this system protects are the cheaters. well done 343, another hallmark patch
Someone then told you to report it and you thought that would be a waste of time.

I guess my question to you is really twofold:
  1. What do you mean by you got 'crucified'? Were you banned because of a DDOS attack? How do you know? If you don't know, maybe it was just a regular DC. I'm guessing you got a ban, which is why you made the post.
  2. DDOS aside, what do you suggest 343 does about the DC/quit ban? I personally don't think that people should be allowed to DC without consequence. It's been noted that people would just unplug their ethernet cord to avoid bans when DCs weren't punished.
So what do you suggest then?

Personally, I think it's reasonable to assume that people won't encounter more than one natural disconnect per day. Also, if you are being attacked to the point of being knocked offline for hours, I'm pretty sure most people would contact their ISP to get their IP changed. So, probably not getting attacked more than once per day.
Now that we've established it is unlikely to disconnect (for the average player with average internet) more than once per day - why not simply give us one free qui/DC per day?

Unless my assumption is unrealistic, this would solve 2 issues:
  1. The group of players that complain saying "real life gets in the way, and it's a real valid reason to quit!"
  2. Disconnects that are out of our control
People that want to pull the ethernet cord every time they get a bad match, only get 1 freebie - after that they are banned. And the rest of us get peace of mind that if sh*t happens, we won't get banned!
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, or post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I really enjoy play mcc...... but when a player quits out or dodges. And i have to play a 3 v 4 every game please please allow us to just quit out. KD gets bashed into dust because im farmed for 12 minutes. waste of time and honestly it's what makes me go play other games because of it.
How can anyone tell for sure if they’ve been ddos’ed? I’m curious because I’ve played halo and at times all of a sudden my comcast modem loses its connection to the internet.
Gomez1992 wrote:
I really enjoy play mcc...... but when a player quits out or dodges. And i have to play a 3 v 4 every game please please allow us to just quit out. KD gets bashed into dust because im farmed for 12 minutes. waste of time and honestly it's what makes me go play other games because of it.
just quit the game, accept the ban and play a different game, or play on an account where you dont care about your stats and just leave your player sitting idle like everyone else.
How can anyone tell for sure if they’ve been ddos’ed? I’m curious because I’ve played halo and at times all of a sudden my comcast modem loses its connection to the internet.
I would check your modem status page and see how your signal levels are first, run some tests for packet loss and things like that to rule out your own isp first.
If everything is good on your end then i would maybe start looking into being ddosed. I play quite a bit of halo and havent experienced the ddos thing yet, but i also dont party up or use a mic so maybe im just lucky enough to only get stuck with idle players every game.
How can anyone tell for sure if they’ve been ddos’ed? I’m curious because I’ve played halo and at times all of a sudden my comcast modem loses its connection to the internet.
Your whole internet connection would go down, you would definitely know
TripOG wrote:
How can anyone tell for sure if they’ve been ddos’ed? I’m curious because I’ve played halo and at times all of a sudden my comcast modem loses its connection to the internet.
I would check your modem status page and see how your signal levels are first, run some tests for packet loss and things like that to rule out your own isp first.
If everything is good on your end then i would maybe start looking into being ddosed. I play quite a bit of halo and havent experienced the ddos thing yet, but i also dont party up or use a mic so maybe im just lucky enough to only get stuck with idle players every game.
Signal strength is at 77% or higher and packet loss is not a factor, I use a range extender with my Linksys EA9500 router. I put my xfinity modem into bridge mode as the Internal antennas suck.
TripOG wrote:
How can anyone tell for sure if they’ve been ddos’ed? I’m curious because I’ve played halo and at times all of a sudden my comcast modem loses its connection to the internet.
I would check your modem status page and see how your signal levels are first, run some tests for packet loss and things like that to rule out your own isp first.
If everything is good on your end then i would maybe start looking into being ddosed. I play quite a bit of halo and havent experienced the ddos thing yet, but i also dont party up or use a mic so maybe im just lucky enough to only get stuck with idle players every game.
Signal strength is at 77% or higher and packet loss is not a factor, I use a range extender with my Linksys EA9500 router. I put my xfinity modem into bridge mode as the Internal antennas suck.
signal strength isnt measured in a percentage, youre looking at the wrong thing. you need to check the power levels and signal to noise ratios. you must be looking at your wifi signal which in that case its better to look at the tx and rx rates as signal strength can be misleading, but for the modem its self you want to check what i mentioned earlier. it sounds like you would be better off just calling your internet isp and having them look at it. fwiw, the giant mcc update seemed to break wifi multiplayer, it should work decent on wifi as it always did before but i had to stop using it because of lag and connection drops even with my great networking gear. oh and range extenders effectively half your available bandwidth
Do ban time amounts decay over time or is it permanent? So let's say my last ban was a week long, but I decided to be good and not quit for several months although I unfortunately had a power outage which caused me to quit the game. Will the ban that's after a week long still be in effect or will it reset back to a ten minute ban?
There are two ways to get banned - by the automatic system, and by manual implementation of a ban.

The automatic system resets every 16 or 24 hours ( I can't remember).
Your overall game history stays with you forever. So if you are bad a lot for a long time you might get a manually implemented ban.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 15
  4. 16
  5. 17
  6. 18
  7. 19
  8. ...
  9. 47