Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

The Official Halo MCC "Why was I banned?" thread

OP stckrboy

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 16
  4. 17
  5. 18
  6. 19
  7. 20
  8. ...
  9. 43
I understand why I was banned for 5 minutes for quitting one game. But when 5 of the 8 players on your team are AFK, and the enemy is camping your spawn. What’s the point in staying?!

A better system needs to be implemented, I rarely quit, only under extreme circumstances, like those above. I know 5 minutes isn’t that long, in fact it was just enough time to gather my thoughts, sign in to waypoint and compose this post, but one quit shouldn’t prevent you from going back in immediately.
Hopefully they'll tweak things soon and start banning the afk players too...
Or in casual they could be smart and just remove all bans so we can play how we want.
I'm just a little confused by the wording in the original post; some of the bolded text (the questions) ask "Why was I banned after one match?" then the rest of the text says it requires multiple quits for the system to place the ban.

Today me and two others were playing the MCC and we had a fair amount of BTB games (we hadn't searched any other playlists), then one of my friends suddenly dropped out - entirely, even out of the Xbox Chat and Discord. A minute later he's back and said his internet cut out on him briefly. So me and the other member quit out of the game so we could lobby up again. It gives us a warning that it could result in a Matchmaking Ban, but neither of us had quit any games that day so we didn't feel 'one game quit' would be a big deal, since we weren't planning on quitting any.

He joins back in with us and then it says one of our party members had been banned from matchmaking. The guy who lagged out (Before the match had fully loaded) said it was just for 5 minutes, so a First Offense.

I guess my question here, and sorry for the explanation, is that does it take one quit or several before it issues the temporary ban on matching? I can assure that none of us were idling or betraying (or mass-suiciding) during those games, so all we can think of was the quit. On that note, would have all three of us quitting have caused it, since we were all in a party and all technically quit the game?
Sylxeria wrote:
I'm just a little confused by the wording in the original post; some of the bolded text (the questions) ask "Why was I banned after one match?" then the rest of the text says it requires multiple quits for the system to place the ban.

Today me and two others were playing the MCC and we had a fair amount of BTB games (we hadn't searched any other playlists), then one of my friends suddenly dropped out - entirely, even out of the Xbox Chat and Discord. A minute later he's back and said his internet cut out on him briefly. So me and the other member quit out of the game so we could lobby up again. It gives us a warning that it could result in a Matchmaking Ban, but neither of us had quit any games that day so we didn't feel 'one game quit' would be a big deal, since we weren't planning on quitting any.

He joins back in with us and then it says one of our party members had been banned from matchmaking. The guy who lagged out (Before the match had fully loaded) said it was just for 5 minutes, so a First Offense.

I guess my question here, and sorry for the explanation, is that does it take one quit or several before it issues the temporary ban on matching? I can assure that none of us were idling or betraying (or mass-suiciding) during those games, so all we can think of was the quit. On that note, would have all three of us quitting have caused it, since we were all in a party and all technically quit the game?
i think you misunderstood something in the first post of this thread.

it says on the paragrapha you mentioned: you recieve a significant ban when you quit many games. (which means more than a day or so i think)

but it also says a few paragraphs above that:
Quote:
How can I tell how long I was banned for? Ban duration will be shown in the message that appears as the ban hammer strikes. First offences are generally low and last only a few minutes, but will increase in duration incrementally with each subsequent ban.Current ban ladder for MCC:
  • First offence: 5 minute ban
  • Second offense: 15 minute ban
  • Third offense: 60 minute ban
  • Fourth offense: 16 hour ban
If you don't have a quit within a 24 hour period, then you will reset back to the first step on the ban ladder. There is still a record of how many quits you have, but its not used in this automated system.
this is the situation you were in with your friends.

personaly i think it's good, that people get banned for a short time even after the first quit, bc it ruins games when people quit out just bc they didn't get exactly what they want. the system has problems (afk people and disconnects) but acording to 343 the quit rate has decreased by 50% with that system.
on the topic of disconnects: yes, it sucks, but it could be used for quiting and avoiding the ban system, so i think it's better to count it as a quit, than not. (and it still affects the remaining players)
also there is hopefully a better system implemented soon to detact afk players and ban them to
WSerg wrote:
Sylxeria wrote:

it says on the paragrapha you mentioned: you recieve a significant ban when you quit many games. (which means more than a day or so i think)

Quote:
How can I tell how long I was banned for? Ban duration will be shown in the message that appears as the ban hammer strikes. First offences are generally low and last only a few minutes, but will increase in duration incrementally with each subsequent ban.Current ban ladder for MCC:
If you don't have a quit within a 24 hour period, then you will reset back to the first step on the ban ladder. There is still a record of how many quits you have, but its not used in this automated system.

personaly i think it's good, that people get banned for a short time even after the first quit, bc it ruins games when people quit out just bc they didn't get exactly what they want. the system has problems (afk people and disconnects) but acording to 343 the quit rate has decreased by 50% with that system.
on the topic of disconnects: yes, it sucks, but it could be used for quiting and avoiding the ban system, so i think it's better to count it as a quit, than not. (and it still affects the remaining players)
also there is hopefully a better system implemented soon to detact afk players and ban them to
Alright thanks, that cleared things up a bit!

So one quit period is a 5-min ban, is two quits 15-min or does it take several to get to the second level?
I think that the Build-A-Playlist also helped with the quit rate decrease, since people loved quitting if Halo-Anything got picked over Halo 3 "back in the day" (If they weren't able to dashboard in time anyway) and so now if Halo 2 or 4 or 2A gets rolled in its because everyone else in the lobby also had that game selected as "I'm okay with playing this" ^^
Sylxeria wrote:
WSerg wrote:
Sylxeria wrote:

Quote:

So one quit period is a 5-min ban, is two quits 15-min or does it take several to get to the second level?
I think that the Build-A-Playlist also helped with the quit rate decrease, since people loved quitting if Halo-Anything got picked over Halo 3 "back in the day" (If they weren't able to dashboard in time anyway) and so now if Halo 2 or 4 or 2A gets rolled in its because everyone else in the lobby also had that game selected as "I'm okay with playing this" ^^
it's like you said.
the first quit is a 5 mins ban,
the 2nd is a 15 mins ban and it will be more time with each quit, so there are no "free" quits.
and the ladder resets after 24 hours, which means if you quit twice and then don't quit for 24 hours, your next quit will be your "first" again, so you get a 5 min ban.

but it still counts the amount of quits in the background, which could lead to a significant or permanent ban (like a 2nd ban system). i'm not sure how that is handled, but i think it's like if you quit a lot (in percentage) you can't avoid a permanent ban with just quiting a few games and then wait out the 24h reset periode. but, again, i'm not sure about that, so don't take this for granted.

i think you're right that the composer also helped a lot and i think it's a combination of both which improved the quiting situation, bc there are still people who would quit if just the wrong map shows up or if the team has a bad start (and i think there are many more childish reasons people use to quit)
I think the wording in the first post could be improved a little Sylxeria, some of it was built up from the Halo 5 FAQ. Thanks for flagging, I'll take it up with 343 and see if we can get that sorted
I understand why I was banned for 5 minutes for quitting one game. But when 5 of the 8 players on your team are AFK, and the enemy is camping your spawn. What’s the point in staying?!

A better system needs to be implemented, I rarely quit, only under extreme circumstances, like those above. I know 5 minutes isn’t that long, in fact it was just enough time to gather my thoughts, sign in to waypoint and compose this post, but one quit shouldn’t prevent you from going back in immediately.
Or in casual they could be smart and just remove all bans so we can play how we want.
You're welcome to play however you want;run around the map trying to kill people with needlers for all I care. However if that includes quitting whenever you're losing or quitting if you dont like the map, then you're screwing over the rest of your team, and you deserve a ban. Casual does not mean no consequences for engaging in play that ruins the experience for others.
WishfulTub wrote:
Do ban time amounts decay over time or is it permanent? So let's say my last ban was a week long, but I decided to be good and not quit for several months although I unfortunately had a power outage which caused me to quit the game. Will the ban that's after a week long still be in effect or will it reset back to a ten minute ban?
It resets after 16 hours.

First quit in a 16 hour span gets you a 5 minute ban. Second quit is 15 minutes. Third quit is an hour. And then the 4th quit is for a full 16 hours(which guarantees you'll go beyond the 16 hour reset period). Any quit after 16 hours of not quitting will be treated like your first quit and give you the 5 minute ban.

You're welcome to play however you want;run around the map trying to kill people with needlers for all I care. However if that includes quitting whenever you're losing or quitting if you dont like the map, then you're screwing over the rest of your team, and you deserve a ban. Casual does not mean no consequences for engaging in play that ruins the experience for others.
Quitting is better than having players stand there idle, now that ruins the game and this system does nothing to stop them. Quitting is better off going unpunished in order to prevent idle players.
WSerg wrote:
Sylxeria wrote:
WSerg wrote:
Sylxeria wrote:

Quote:

it's like you said.
the 2nd is a 15 mins ban and it will be more time with each quit, so there are no "free" quits.
and the ladder resets after 24 hours, which means if you quit twice and then don't quit for 24 hours, your next quit will be your "first" again, so you get a 5 min ban.

but it still counts the amount of quits in the background, which could lead to a significant or permanent ban (like a 2nd ban system). i'm not sure how that is handled, but i think it's like if you quit a lot (in percentage) you can't avoid a permanent ban with just quiting a few games and then wait out the 24h reset periode. but, again, i'm not sure about that, so don't take this for granted.

i think you're right that the composer also helped a lot and i think it's a combination of both which improved the quiting situation, bc there are still people who would quit if just the wrong map shows up or if the team has a bad start (and i think there are many more childish reasons people use to quit)
Mm sounds a bit harsh, especially now that the MCC's been fixed up so where people are far less inclined to leave because their favorite game didn't get voted in (Remember all those "Halo 3 or I Quit" clan tags?) but I can see why such a system is necessary - even if it as said seems a little strong. My friend sometimes has issues with his internet, especially during storms or if other people are all using it at once (YoUTube, big downloads, etc) so we're surprised we got so many games in without so much as lag - then it just drops for a minute and <poof>

I don't remember Reach, 4, or 5 being this harsh though, so we might just go back to 5 or Monster Hunter for our gaming nights instead of MCC since I'd rather not see him permabanned over something outside his control.
<p></p>

Willko wrote:
WishfulTub wrote:
Do ban time amounts decay over time or is it permanent? So let's say my last ban was a week long, but I decided to be good and not quit for several months although I unfortunately had a power outage which caused me to quit the game. Will the ban that's after a week long still be in effect or will it reset back to a ten minute ban?
It resets after 16 hours.

First quit in a 16 hour span gets you a 5 minute ban. Second quit is 15 minutes. Third quit is an hour. And then the 4th quit is for a full 16 hours(which guarantees you'll go beyond the 16 hour reset period). Any quit after 16 hours of not quitting will be treated like your first quit and give you the 5 minute ban.
<p></p>
Ah, well I guess I've misunderstood this twice now xD
Still feels a bit 'strong' for the game as it is in its current improved state, but I guess we'll just have to switch games if he starts having issues. Hopefully the permanent one doesn't come in as quickly - that'd be.... Unfortunate :(
Sylxeria wrote:
WSerg wrote:
Sylxeria wrote:
WSerg wrote:
Sylxeria wrote:

Quote:

it's like you said.

Mm sounds a bit harsh, especially now that the MCC's been fixed up so where people are far less inclined to leave because their favorite game didn't get voted in (Remember all those "Halo 3 or I Quit" clan tags?) but I can see why such a system is necessary - even if it as said seems a little strong. My friend sometimes has issues with his internet, especially during storms or if other people are all using it at once (YoUTube, big downloads, etc) so we're surprised we got so many games in without so much as lag - then it just drops for a minute and <poof>

I don't remember Reach, 4, or 5 being this harsh though, so we might just go back to 5 or Monster Hunter for our gaming nights instead of MCC since I'd rather not see him permabanned over something outside his control.
<p></p>
maybe it's a bit harsh. but people have brought that up on themselves and are taking down normal gamers with them. it wasn't nearly as harsh in other games (h2-h5) so you remember correctly. i remember the clan tags and how annoying it was. i also remember when my team had a bad start and someone quit so there was even a smaller chance for a comeback. (or back in h3 days: "veto or i'll quit" people)
also if an oponent quits it also is annoying, especially if all of them but 1 quit and you can search for this guy for 15 mins or quit yourself and take a loss.

like i already said: the problem with disconnects is, that people could just unplug their cable and force a disconnect to get around the quit ban (and people are doing this). it is very unfortunate, but i think it's better the way it is now, than very often have quitters.

i admit it's not perfect yet. something needs to be done about the AFK people for example.

in your case i would just play when your friend is less likely to get disconected. or play customs. also i don't think that a real permanent ban will happen soon and if it's not happening very often he should be in the clear. i think 343 will clear the system up a bit, bc a moderator already mentioned, that he will ask from them for a more clear statement.
stckrboy wrote:
I think the wording in the first post could be improved a little Sylxeria, some of it was built up from the Halo 5 FAQ. Thanks for flagging, I'll take it up with 343 and see if we can get that sorted
Just a note that the first post has now been updated regarding the above ^
TripOG wrote:
Gomez1992 wrote:
I really enjoy play mcc...... but when a player quits out or dodges. And i have to play a 3 v 4 every game please please allow us to just quit out. KD gets bashed into dust because im farmed for 12 minutes. waste of time and honestly it's what makes me go play other games because of it.
just quit the game, accept the ban and play a different game, or play on an account where you dont care about your stats and just leave your player sitting idle like everyone else.
Yeah i feel yeah man. but still ban is still too intense to me. i get why it's there but still.
TripOG wrote:

Quitting is better than having players stand there idle, now that ruins the game and this system does nothing to stop them. Quitting is better off going unpunished in order to prevent idle players.
No, it isn't.

There were idle players before the ban system, but there's just many more now.

The ban system is necessary - although it does need tweaking.
Just because a new bad behaviour is becoming more common does not mean we should go backwards and just allow the old bad behaviour.

The current ban system should be improved to:
  • Allow for 1 free quit per day
  • Detect and boot idle players
  • Consider JIP to replace those idle players.
Please 343, do not remove the ban system altogether - just make it better.
AshamanND wrote:
TripOG wrote:

No, it isn't.

There were idle players before the ban system, but there's just many more now.

The ban system is necessary - although it does need tweaking.
Just because a new bad behaviour is becoming more common does not mean we should go backwards and just allow the old bad behaviour.

The current ban system should be improved to:
  • Allow for 1 free quit per day
  • Detect and boot idle players
  • Consider JIP to replace those idle players.
Please 343, do not remove the ban system altogether - just make it better.
oooooor just ban people by how many reports they get via the built in xbox one report system. this is the least fun halo has ever been, its like playing on egg shells in fear of being banned, such a bad system. its clear this system isn't working just by this thread alone. When a system is implemented that makes the game unenjoyable to someone who has played the game almost exclusively since its release you know you screwed up, leave bad ban systems like this for their future games that i will probably not play. I shouldn't have to change my style of play after all these years because of some flawed system that was implemented after the fact. I was never banned on the xbox or the xbox 360 or on the xbox one until this update, and i never had any issue with other players sitting idle or quitting games.
TripOG wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
TripOG wrote:

[snip]
oooooor just ban people by how many reports they get via the built in xbox one report system. this is the least fun halo has ever been, its like playing on egg shells in fear of being banned, such a bad system. its clear this system isn't working just by this thread alone. When a system is implemented that makes the game unenjoyable to someone who has played the game almost exclusively since its release you know you screwed up, leave bad ban systems like this for their future games that i will probably not play. I shouldn't have to change my style of play after all these years because of some flawed system that was implemented after the fact. I was never banned on the xbox or the xbox 360 or on the xbox one until this update, and i never had any issue with other players sitting idle or quitting games.
I totally hear you. I wish the xbox one report system was more effective. Sadly, I don't think it gets any follow up by MS unless there are either:
  1. Descriptions attached
  2. Clear evidence of messages that are hateful, discriminatory, lude, threatening etc.
I have a strong feeling that the ban system will in fact be updated again.
My guess is it won't be in the "December/January" update - but likely in the next one.

There has been TONS of feedback on this system - I agree.
However, I think more than 50% of it is just people complaining about getting banned for behaviour that is actually not ok, and the system doing it's job.
Less than 50% of the feedback (but still super important feedback) is the type we see where there are unjust bans, or new bad behaviours. I totally believe this will be addressed.

343 specifically said that this system is not meant to stay static, and they will listen to feedback.
But it takes time to create and test new changes, it won't happen overnight. All we can do is leave our feedback and suggestions. Mine is to not scrap the system, but make it better.
Yes, in the meantime it creates some issues - but they are gathering data right now. Scrapping it altogether without implementing a new system immediately would stop this data collection process.

And I hear you about the potential for 'unenjoyable' matches. IMO, the biggest issue is idle players. I really hope that gets resolved.
TripOG wrote:
oooooor just ban people by how many reports they get via the built in xbox one report system...
This then becomes open to waaaay too much abuse. Got beef with a player? Just get all your buddies to report them so they get banned. Yeah that's not going to happen
Gomez1992 wrote:
TripOG wrote:
Gomez1992 wrote:
I really enjoy play mcc...... but when a player quits out or dodges. And i have to play a 3 v 4 every game please please allow us to just quit out. KD gets bashed into dust because im farmed for 12 minutes. waste of time and honestly it's what makes me go play other games because of it.
just quit the game, accept the ban and play a different game, or play on an account where you dont care about your stats and just leave your player sitting idle like everyone else.
Yeah i feel yeah man. but still ban is still too intense to me. i get why it's there but still.
Same, it feels like it's just a leftover from the "old" MCC considering its the most brutal and unforgiving system to date; none of the other Halos were this quick to go after players for being idle for a short period of time or having a game where they fell out of it.
To clarify, let's remember what the game was like before 343i returned to working on it after a long absence.

Wasn't very fun was it? The sheer, horrifying amount of quitters and AFKers meant a system like this needed to be in place. What about today? When matches are easier to find, and you're very unlikely to be forced into a Halo you DON'T want to be playing (by simply switching it off)? A system this restrictive is obsolete. It doesn't need to be *this* harsh anymore. It needs to be there yes, but it can stand to relax a little bit.

stckrboy wrote:
TripOG wrote:
oooooor just ban people by how many reports they get via the built in xbox one report system...
This then becomes open to waaaay too much abuse. Got beef with a player? Just get all your buddies to report them so they get banned. Yeah that's not going to happen
Oh man if they had the system work like this.... It'd be so much worse than it is now. ><
Sylxeria wrote:
Same, it feels like it's just a leftover from the "old" MCC considering its the most brutal and unforgiving system to date; none of the other Halos were this quick to go after players for being idle for a short period of time or having a game where they fell out of it.
Halo 3 booted idlers after 3 min (albeit in-game instead of in-queue).
Halo 5 similarly has a 3 min idle timer before booting.
MCC's idle timer is the same duration of 3 min, the only difference is that it hits in the queue instead of in the actual game (this should improved upon).

But, yeah, other Halos have been "this quick" to go after idlers. 3 min of doing nothing is quite a bit of time in a game; alot can happen in 3 min. As for people falling out of games, well, if disconnects were shown leniency then everyone would just quit by ripping their ethernet cables or turning off their router to avoid a ban. I certainly don't believe that 100% of claims of unintentional disconnects are truthful.
Chimera30 wrote:
Sylxeria wrote:
Halo 3 booted idlers after 3 min (albeit in-game instead of in-queue).
Halo 5 similarly has a 3 min idle timer before booting.
MCC's idle timer is the same duration of 3 min, the only difference is that it hits in the queue instead of in the actual game (this should improved upon).

But, yeah, other Halos have been "this quick" to go after idlers. 3 min of doing nothing is quite a bit of time in a game; alot can happen in 3 min. As for people falling out of games, well, if disconnects were shown leniency then everyone would just quit by ripping their ethernet cables or turning off their router to avoid a ban. I certainly don't believe that 100% of claims of unintentional disconnects are truthful.
Isn't the "One quit = 1 Ban Level" also a bit rougher? I could have sworn that the other games were more lenient in that regard, allowing for a few quits before it began getting after you. Allowing for some margin of error in things that may be out of your control, or allowing for one or two potentially un-fun games to be left before it starts saying "Alright, your freebies are up - any more quits in the next X time period, intentional or otherwise, and we'll have to put you on time out"

Whereas with MCC one quit is one ban, one more quit is a second level, one more is etc etc. I don't remember the other games being that quick to start condemning you. The game doesn't discriminate between how the quit happens, just that it happens. So I don't feel being given a wider breathing room would change that much. Rip your ethernet cable out for all it matters, it's still a quit and you're one strike down out of three and use up all three and you get the ban. All it'd really do is give you a little more room for possible accidents or got into a really, really bad match that just happened that nobody else decided to quit out of (Because of the note that if less than half of the team is left, any quits wouldn't be penalized)

Anyway, I don't believe the game needs to be this strict anymore now that the game's being fixed up and there's less reason for people to quit now. "Halo 3 Or I Quit" and "Halo 2 or I Betray" clantags? Don't see those much anymore. Because if you don't want to play Halo 4 or CE or whatever, you just turn it off. 1-Quit = 1-Ban system isn't necessary now, since you'll never see a game you *don't* want to be involved with because those titles aren't forced on you anymore.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 16
  4. 17
  5. 18
  6. 19
  7. 20
  8. ...
  9. 43