Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

The Official Halo MCC "Why was I banned?" thread

OP stckrboy

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 46
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
It seems to me that Microsoft/ bungie / whomever is actually implementing new features / content may have forgotten about a key demographic here; the parents.

Donyou remember us? The ones that propelled the halo franchise into orbit and into the institution it is today.

17/18 years later - and here we are - posting on some forum complaining about being banned for being idle during a social match? Things happen - kids wake up abruptly during adult time and require some attention - phones ring - work pages out - ugh, the match must wait.

Banning responsible adults for nonsense infractions is so disrespectful to us - the folks that were there at the beginning and were still here until we were cast aside, castigated and classified as rule violators.

word of warning since it’s obviously not evident - we are the people that have shaped this game - and even though we’re now old, grown up, professional people - we still enjoyed a halo break - it’s really too bad you’ve forgotten about us by making it impossible to actually play because for us - life will happpen and things will idle and games will be quit depending on circumstances. Catching a 24 hour ban for every 3rd idle or quit makes this untenable for us.

the intelligent thing to do would have been to create a gentle persons playset - catering to us adults whom don’t rage over someone idling or quitting as it is the familiar fragfest on rat race or hang em high that we look to when the kids are finally in bed and the status reports are completed at the end of the day.

also for the record - the algo is not implemented correctly according to the information contained in this thread. I never received an incremental ban, it was 24 hours first offense.
Suisun wrote:
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Postums wrote:
This shall be the ban thread discussion. All discussions will live in this pinned thread.
Do ban time amounts decay over time or is it permanent? So let's say my last ban was a week long, but I decided to be good and not quit for several months although I unfortunately had a power outage which caused me to quit the game. Will the ban that's after a week long still be in effect or will it reset back to a ten minute ban?
They probably never even thought about it because of this reaction to quitting is like omg, lets ban those monsters for being firefighters being called urgently away, its obviously not because there is no reason whatsoever to win, lose,stay in games, play ranked (other than ranked having the only ffa playlist) and most of the matches are stupid because of the lack of a veto/voting button which was from another stupid reaction. Maybe another 4 more years until we have a launch ready game that the majority of fans want
Well I imagine if your on call and being called away to fight a fire you wouldn't mind receiving the 10 minute ban for your first quit. The vast majority of those that quit, don't do it for such altruistic reasons. My only sympathy in this situation goes to the people having connection issues and receiving bans for it.
H4L0ST1CK wrote:
It seems to me that Microsoft/ bungie / whomever is actually implementing new features / content may have forgotten about a key demographic here; the parents.

Donyou remember us? The ones that propelled the halo franchise into orbit and into the institution it is today.

17/18 years later - and here we are - posting on some forum complaining about being banned for being idle during a social match? Things happen - kids wake up abruptly during adult time and require some attention - phones ring - work pages out - ugh, the match must wait.

Banning responsible adults for nonsense infractions is so disrespectful to us - the folks that were there at the beginning and were still here until we were cast aside, castigated and classified as rule violators.

word of warning since it’s obviously not evident - we are the people that have shaped this game - and even though we’re now old, grown up, professional people - we still enjoyed a halo break - it’s really too bad you’ve forgotten about us by making it impossible to actually play because for us - life will happpen and things will idle and games will be quit depending on circumstances. Catching a 24 hour ban for every 3rd idle or quit makes this untenable for us.

the intelligent thing to do would have been to create a gentle persons playset - catering to us adults whom don’t rage over someone idling or quitting as it is the familiar fragfest on rat race or hang em high that we look to when the kids are finally in bed and the status reports are completed at the end of the day.

also for the record - the algo is not implemented correctly according to the information contained in this thread. I never received an incremental ban, it was 24 hours first offense.
Please provide some more suggestions on how to account for someone who creates an experience that negatively affecting several other player's experience because real life is more important. Real life IS more important, this includes kids, work, the fire in the other room. However, respecting and treating the people you are matchmaking with's time as equal to your own, regardless of how your life is organized seems like the responsible adult thing to do.

I checked your account, you had 2 quits on 11/21, one at 8:54am PST and one at 10:38am PST. These would be your first two of your 3 that would grant the day ban. Unfortunately when turning on the system, it looks at your behavior in the last 24 hours. We should have probably done a rolling update on the lookback window to scale more appropriately than the intended 24 hour window.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Postums wrote:
This shall be the ban thread discussion. All discussions will live in this pinned thread.
Do ban time amounts decay over time or is it permanent? So let's say my last ban was a week long, but I decided to be good and not quit for several months although I unfortunately had a power outage which caused me to quit the game. Will the ban that's after a week long still be in effect or will it reset back to a ten minute ban?
Yes, if you don't have a quit in 24 hours, then you will be on your first ban. There is still a record of how many quits you have, but its not used in this automated system.
Yes, if you don't have a quit in 24 hours, then you will be on your first ban. There is still a record of how many quits you have, but its not used in this automated system.
Okay, I do like that. What info should someone post in case they have a legitimate reason to have their latest ban removed like the server messing up or they were getting DDoSed for example? I looked in the original post and it doesn't mention any kind of info that a player should provide.
H4L0ST1CK wrote:

Sometimes crap happens, we get it. But if it's happening over and over, then you're probably not balancing kids, etc correctly. Honestly, your post comes off as incredibly whiney. I think the problem lies with you, and I'm incredibly happy about your one day ban.
AshamanND wrote:
How does this work for trolls/bad sportsmanship? Examples:driving the wrong way, stealing your flag then bringing it back to the enemy’s base or soft betrayals.

Do I have to report them or have video evidence?

Also how does affect like a super team like just spawn killing with contesting the time on halo 2 aka forever never ending game? Is that unsportsmanlike would you or could you get banned?
...you can't pick up your own flag and bring it anywhere, let alone the enemy base.
I meant the enemy’s but it was yours as in you took theirs. Example when you have their flag then do the jump flag throw trick, that teammate decides to take your flag and run a way with it.
H4L0ST1CK wrote:

Please provide some more suggestions on how to account for someone who creates an experience that negatively affecting several other player's experience because real life is more important. Real life IS more important, this includes kids, work, the fire in the other room. However, respecting and treating the people you are matchmaking with's time as equal to your own, regardless of how your life is organized seems like the responsible adult thing to do.

I checked your account, you had 2 quits on 11/21, one at 8:54am PST and one at 10:38am PST. These would be your first two of your 3 that would grant the day ban. Unfortunately when turning on the system, it looks at your behavior in the last 24 hours. We should have probably done a rolling update on the lookback window to scale more appropriately than the intended 24 hour window.
I really don't have access to the knowledge necessary to perform any substantial analysis of implementing such a process.
I'm also not going to attempt to justify a quit which may or may not have negatively impacted another's gameplay, but I can say that at least one of those matches were unbalanced from the beginning (4 on3) which I find negatively impacted MY experience. Regardless - this is heavy handed and is definitely not mindful of this demographic. Loyalty goes a long way, especially when we are referencing something as long-standing as this game.

If I were to offer some suggestions, I might suggest you consider implementing an adult over 30 league. It could even be subscription based. This seems to solve everyones problem and would actually make the game more enjoyable for those of us who no longer have the reflexes of a 20 something and really can't even compete in any f the ranked playlists accordingly without it being completely miserable because our gaming skills deteriorate with age (getting old has it positives, but losing reflexivity isn't one of them).

I can understand the want here - make it fair, make it balanced and most importantly mitigate the cheaters and unsportsman-like conduct. In my old (and wise ;)) opinion, this is a bit heavy handed and will have nominal impact on the folks that are the worst offenders as they will just switch accounts/newup a monthly account.

The Misses and I have been playing halo since pre-xbox live - back in the Xbox Connect days - predating even MLG. We were beta testers for Xbox Live and have always stuck with the game even through the worst of the bridging and code exploit cheats back when. Its kind of funny that I am now classified as one of those folks "negatively impacting the game". Yikes.
H4L0ST1CK wrote:

Sometimes crap happens, we get it. But if it's happening over and over, then you're probably not balancing kids, etc correctly. Honestly, your post comes off as incredibly whiney. I think the problem lies with you, and I'm incredibly happy about your one day ban.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You're welcome to your opinion. I've played halo literally since day zero, my quit ratio is in all likelihood extremely low. I don't really believe that you have any real standing of adult life to provide such feedback as to how I am balancing my personal life. Also, your response is pretty standard definition of trolling :/
H4L0ST1CK

TLDR;
  1. You quit/dc 3 times in less than 24 hours, and the 24 hour auto-ban kicked in. Seems relatively fair. (albeit perhaps a little unfair due to the 'retro ban' - you didn't get the 10 minute or one hour, as those quits happened before the system was in place, so you didn't have much warning that the 24 hour ban was coming).
  2. It won't really stack up against you in the long run, because you have a good history overall.
  3. Perhaps 343i should give us 1 freebie in case of accidental dcs from lag
I totally get where you are coming from, and it seems that MoreInfoNeeded basically addressed your concerns.
If your issue is that adult life gets in the way, and you need to quit suddenly for an issue - the 10 minute ban shouldn't bother you, because your issue would probably take longer than 10 minutes.

If you manage to sort out whatever that issue was, and decide to play more in the same day, and need to quit again for another reason, well it looks like a one hour ban it's whats up.
If you manage to sort out that issue again, and want to play within that same 24 hour period from your first quit, well that's when the 1 day ban comes in.

I don't really see this as unfair - yes you had life things, but in 3 matches in 24 hours, you managed to affect other people playing negatively.

The only thing I don't like about this is that it does not seem to differentiate a quit from a lag out.
So if you lagged out of one of those 3 quits above, that's pretty lame.

Which is why I think everyone should get 1 freebie. 2nd quit/dc = 10 minute ban, 3rd quit/dc = 1 hour ban and 4th quit/dc = 1 day ban.
And remember, MoreInfoNeeded said that in terms of the 'automatic' ban system - it forgets things you've done after 24 hours.
There is still a log of your quits, so something manualy could be implemented if a long-term issue is noticed (and from what you've said, it sounds like that is an emphatic 'no')

PS. I disagree with the 'over 30 years old' playlist/league. While I am also in that boat, we don't really need to split the population up even more.
Eh, I’ve been playing Halo since Combat Evolved and have always enjoyed the multiplayer experience of Halo. I even got banned for a while back in Halo 3 when my friend convinced me to boost Team Snipers with 3 guests logged in. I’ve seen my fair share or bans too over the course of time. I got banned after quitting a game and it was 10 minutes long. I then got banned for 24 hours today after shutting my Xbox off as the game ended (we won) and I had to go. I don’t remember quitting a second time in between then but whatever.

I do think that these these bans are a little harsh, and kind of make me lose interest in playing. The severity of the bans should be exponentially increasing, but it shouldn’t be 10 minutes for one, I’m not sure what the second one was, and the third one being a day. It should be 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 3 hours, 6 hours, 12 hours, 1 day, 2 days, 3 days, etc. The bans should then be reset at the start of every month (not sure if that’s already inplemented already). But as someone mentioned here before, there’s stuff that goes on outside of playing a video game, and as much as I’d love to kick some teeth in SWAT, I got real life things that pop-up in matches. It really should be leveraged into how many games you play vs the ones you quit. If you’re playing 50 matches and then quit 3, that’s a lot better than someone playing 10 and quitting 3. That kind of puts people into a percentage, and from there the higher your percentage of quitting is, the longer your ban is. After playing 10 games you should start logging each player. I think it’s fairer to those who play a lot of games but quit only when something really comes up. I would think quitting would be better than idling, since idle players can lead to additional kills for the other team. That makes it different than someone who is just rage quitting.
H4L0ST1CK wrote:
H4L0ST1CK wrote:

I really don't have access to the knowledge necessary to perform any substantial analysis of implementing such a process.
I'm also not going to attempt to justify a quit which may or may not have negatively impacted another's gameplay, but I can say that at least one of those matches were unbalanced from the beginning (4 on3) which I find negatively impacted MY experience. Regardless - this is heavy handed and is definitely not mindful of this demographic. Loyalty goes a long way, especially when we are referencing something as long-standing as this game.

If I were to offer some suggestions, I might suggest you consider implementing an adult over 30 league. It could even be subscription based. This seems to solve everyones problem and would actually make the game more enjoyable for those of us who no longer have the reflexes of a 20 something and really can't even compete in any f the ranked playlists accordingly without it being completely miserable because our gaming skills deteriorate with age (getting old has it positives, but losing reflexivity isn't one of them).

I can understand the want here - make it fair, make it balanced and most importantly mitigate the cheaters and unsportsman-like conduct. In my old (and wise ;)) opinion, this is a bit heavy handed and will have nominal impact on the folks that are the worst offenders as they will just switch accounts/newup a monthly account.

The Misses and I have been playing halo since pre-xbox live - back in the Xbox Connect days - predating even MLG. We were beta testers for Xbox Live and have always stuck with the game even through the worst of the bridging and code exploit cheats back when. Its kind of funny that I am now classified as one of those folks "negatively impacting the game". Yikes.
Id subscribe to an over 30 league, then again as I get older I get worse at this game. Anyhow, thanks for some suggestions, Im always open to hearing alternatives, great ideas can come from anyone.
I want to thank everyone who has been participating in these threads on bans. I want to announce that the Ban rules have just gone live with a change. Unfortunately, this cannot affect those already banned, but several of these threads have been full of great information. The first offense ban has been lowered to 5 minutes from 10, the second offense ban is now a 15 minute ban, the third offense is a 60 minute ban, and the fourth offense is a 16 hour ban. This allows players to play every day.

Instead of bans clearing after 24 hours of incurring one, they now clear after 16 hours. Let us know what you guys think.

stckrboy, please update the OP.
If you’re going to implement a new banning system I would think logically it would start new from that point on. Such as what was done for the new ranking playlist and system. Not keep a hidden counter and when the new system takes affect it marks you for that plus all others in the past.
Family wrote:
If you’re going to implement a new banning system I would think logically it would start new from that point on. Such as what was done for the new ranking playlist and system. Not keep a hidden counter and when the new system takes affect it marks you for that plus all others in the past.
I agree, but the autoban only really looks back 16 (was 24) hours. So really, if you've been naughty a lot recently, you likely deserved the ban that came.
All the 'old behavior' bans will be cleared by almost now anyhow.
I want to thank everyone who has been participating in these threads on bans. I want to announce that the Ban rules have just gone live with a change. Unfortunately, this cannot affect those already banned, but several of these threads have been full of great information. The first offense ban has been lowered to 5 minutes from 10, the second offense ban is now a 15 minute ban, the third offense is a 60 minute ban, and the fourth offense is a 16 hour ban. This allows players to play every day.

Instead of bans clearing after 24 hours of incurring one, they now clear after 16 hours. Let us know what you guys think.

Thx for the clarity legit thanks. It’s more reasonable
First post updated with the latest information
stckrboy wrote:
First post updated with the latest information
Hi stckrboy, Current ban ladder for first offence still shows 10 minutes not 5 minutes, just FYI if you wanted to correct it 🖒

i'm always for strict quit pennalties, but i see the need to don't be to harsh.
anyway: the first quit being a 5 minute ban seems to me a bit short, bc if you start a game it is potentialy 10mins+ (especially objevtive games), so you would save some time by quiting and at the same time negativly influence the other players.
i don't know if it is possible, but an option i see would be to tie the first game to the lenght of the game people quit out? so it would just be the same time they have to wait to get into the next game like if they would have stayed.
also: i would have kept the 24h bans, but clear the record after 16h.

the option to forfeit is already considered what i read on waypoint
maybe also have no penalties if 50% of your team already left. not just no penalties for the last one. (which is also considered already what i have read. i just wanted to voice my support for this)
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 46