Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

The Official Halo MCC "Why was I banned?" thread

OP stckrboy

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 27
  4. 28
  5. 29
  6. 30
  7. 31
  8. ...
  9. 49
Left at the end point of a ctf match on the Social Playlist and now have a 12hr ban.
System is a bit of a joke is it not?
Why even have a leave button if you have to step away from a game, a non ranked one at that.
If you got a 12 hour ban, you quit multiple times before that. If you are habitually quitting, you are impacting the game for everyone else. If it was the end of the game, just stay and finish the match next time.
Replay MCC after 3 years. Play online for first time in a long time. No space yet for a habit to form. Leave due to a commitment. Find out I am banned. Uninstall. Priceless.
So you started a match you knew you couldn't finish? That is a horrible thing to do to the other people in that match.
“That is a horrible thing to do to the other people in that match”

So...with all due respect, we’re expected to put a game over real life? Oh okay, makes sense.
I think you missed the context. Intentionally starting a match you know you won't be able to finish means you're completely aware that the 3-15 other people in that match are going to have their experience spoiled by you. In a similar situation (I and I think most people) wouldn't start a match knowing they would have to quit. If for some reason you do have to quit (something unexpected, an emergency) than most people should be aware of and frankly unconcerned about the consequences that come with. If for some reason I did 'have to' quit a match I couldn't care less about a short ban as a response. The way the event was described showed no concern for anyone other than themselves and then the audacity to complain about consequences they knew would happen from their own contemptible actions.
If MCC has cross-platform Multiplayer with PC gamers, quit bans will need to be completely removed. Because 99% of players will quit if they come up against a PC player in MP; it won't be a fair contest - not even close.

It'll be so unfair, I think it will pretty much purge any remaining MCC players from Live.
Left at the end point of a ctf match on the Social Playlist and now have a 12hr ban.
System is a bit of a joke is it not?
Why even have a leave button if you have to step away from a game, a non ranked one at that.
If you got a 12 hour ban, you quit multiple times before that. If you are habitually quitting, you are impacting the game for everyone else. If it was the end of the game, just stay and finish the match next time.
Replay MCC after 3 years. Play online for first time in a long time. No space yet for a habit to form. Leave due to a commitment. Find out I am banned. Uninstall. Priceless.
So you started a match you knew you couldn't finish? That is a horrible thing to do to the other people in that match.
“That is a horrible thing to do to the other people in that match”

So...with all due respect, we’re expected to put a game over real life? Oh okay, makes sense.
I think you missed the context. Intentionally starting a match you know you won't be able to finish means you're completely aware that the 3-15 other people in that match are going to have their experience spoiled by you. In a similar situation (I and I think most people) wouldn't start a match knowing they would have to quit. If for some reason you do have to quit (something unexpected, an emergency) than most people should be aware of and frankly unconcerned about the consequences that come with. If for some reason I did 'have to' quit a match I couldn't care less about a short ban as a response. The way the event was described showed no concern for anyone other than themselves and then the audacity to complain about consequences they knew would happen from their own contemptible actions.
I do love this militant stance on quits still exists.

Unless you're playing in Ranked, is your experience really hindered by ONE person quitting? It makes a negligible difference at best, especially if you're playing BTB. It's actually getting beyond petty how far people will ride the "THERE'S NO EXCEPTION FOR QUITTING!!" mantra.

Okay, he quit a game. Not too big a deal. it's ONE quit. But it's okay for people to consistently drop -10, -15, or worse, every game? How is that fair for HIS teammates' enjoyment EVERY game? And before I get accused of being an elistist or exaggerating - I have 100s of screenshots I could link saying otherwise, but it's against forum rules to name and shame. I've literally had teammates with less than 100 kills, but over 1200 deaths. But I'm the one who ruins HIS game by quitting out.

SURE.

Serial offenders - absolutely; throw the book at them. These tryhards who run for a power weapon and quit as soon as they die - I couldn't be happier they get bans. But if I'm expected to stay in a game out fear of getting a ban because I upset my Xbox Game Pass teammate who has had Xbox Live for 5 minutes, and is already 0-11 after 4 minutes, and you see nothing wrong with that - you're insane.
I do love this militant stance on quits still exists.
I know my stance that people shouldn't act like -Yoinks!- is rare these days.
Quote:
Unless you're playing in Ranked, is your experience really hindered by ONE person quitting? It makes a negligible difference at best, especially if you're playing BTB. It's actually getting beyond petty how far people will ride the "THERE'S NO EXCEPTION FOR QUITTING!!" mantra.
Having one player quit will negatively effect the other players in the game. They are either placed at a disadvantage or have a fair match robbed of them. Whether that is in ranked or not isn't relevant.
Quote:
Okay, he quit a game.
Actually he started a game knowing he wouldn't finish it. Then quit. He showed no concern for anyone else. That is what I took issue with.
Quote:
Not too big a deal. it's ONE quit. But it's okay for people to consistently drop -10, -15, or worse, every game? How is that fair for HIS teammates' enjoyment EVERY game? And before I get accused of being an elistist or exaggerating - I have 100s of screenshots I could link saying otherwise, but it's against forum rules to name and shame. I've literally had teammates with less than 100 kills, but over 1200 deaths. But I'm the one who ruins HIS game by quitting out.
This is matchmaking. If you want control of your teammates, party up. Otherwise you have to deal with the occasional mismatch. Although in my experience blaming your teammates and petulance aren't the kind of traits I look for when i want to play with a team.

Quote:
SURE.
Serial offenders - absolutely; throw the book at them. These tryhards who run for a power weapon and quit as soon as they die - I couldn't be happier they get bans. But if I'm expected to stay in a game out fear of getting a ban because I upset my Xbox Game Pass teammate who has had Xbox Live for 5 minutes, and is already 0-11 after 4 minutes, and you see nothing wrong with that - you're insane.
The consequences will be there, no matter how you choose to justify your actions to yourself.

If MCC has cross-platform Multiplayer with PC gamers, quit bans will need to be completely removed. Because 99% of players will quit if they come up against a PC player in MP; it won't be a fair contest - not even close.

It'll be so unfair, I think it will pretty much purge any remaining MCC players from Live.
Also Please don't post multiple time in a row. If you need to add more information or quote other users, you can edit your last post. Thanks

Completely removed, maybe not.
Completely revised and re-thought, I think so.

I totally understand your point though.
But it's okay for people to consistently drop -10, -15, or worse, every game?
It's not a crime to be a bad or new player. And being a bad/new player should not mean you don't get to play, or should be restricted somehow. Of course, I'm referring to players legitimately trying and playing as intended; I'm not referring to griefers who purposefully play bad.

If you're a noob or a bad player trying earnestly to play the game, that's fine. You aren't intentionally worsening the experience for your team; you're trying your best and that's all anyone can ask for. Not everyone is expected to have a K/D > 1.00. But a quitter, on the otherhand, is making the conscious decision to leave their team disadvantaged. The difference between being a bad player and being a quitter is intent. As individual gamers, our greatest concern is our own experience and how much fun we're having at the moment. But for 343, the greatest concern is the experience of the player base as a whole.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Chimera30 wrote:
It's not a crime to be a bad or new player. And being a bad/new player should not mean you don't get to play, or should be restricted somehow. Of course, I'm referring to players legitimately trying and playing as intended; I'm not referring to griefers who purposefully play bad.

If you're a noob or a bad player trying earnestly to play the game, that's fine. You aren't intentionally worsening the experience for your team; you're trying your best and that's all anyone can ask for. Not everyone is expected to have a K/D > 1.00. But a quitter, on the otherhand, is making the conscious decision to leave their team disadvantaged. The difference between being a bad player and being a quitter is intent. As individual gamers, our greatest concern is our own experience and how much fun we're having at the moment. But for 343, the greatest concern is the experience of the player base as a whole.
Here's the difference between a bad/new player and a veteran player (not pro level, but decent and played the originals).
A bad/new player shouldn't and probably won't worry much about multiple one-sided games. I don't think that the most of those people complain on these forums anyways.
A veteran player however knows how the matchmaking should work. Sure you can't win them all and occasionally you will find those crazy no-life wannabes who absolutely decimates your team. A perfect scenario would be if your win percentage floats around the 50% (ofcourse this scene is heavily simplified, I could go on forever about balanced teams and steady kd's). If this was the case, then this thread wouldn't be 29 pages long.

It should be obvious that this scenario is not happening in reality. In my case I have posted my games and views on their progression a few pages back, but to summerize:

'The social matchmaking is not balanced enough for new and skilled players alike'

Simply implying an insanely strict banning system or even adding an method to ban afk player isn't going to fix the problem. This point of view that 'all players in general need to be satisfied' won't last if most players play solo. And if you play solo in MCC, there is a high chance that you end up against a team of 3 to 4 strong and all highly skilled. And to make it even worse: your other solo teammates are not that skilled by a long shot. And if solo players start to quit or afk simultaneously as an effect of unbalanced matching, then their view of 'all players satisfaction' is already shattered. Ever heard of the snowball effect? If this happens to all the players then there is no one left. So yeah every individual matters and not the mass alone. Their experience and mine as well is already ruined before finishing the match (so please spare me the argument that quitting makes everything worse, and by quitting I can spare myself the misery and humiliation of playing a bad game). I know I can do better and want to prove that every match after that, but I just don't get the honest chance to do that. This is what ultimately drives me away from Halo online.

These are some solutions I think could work:

- just add a xp-rank system parameter like reach or Halo 3 in social. Make it so that players between a certain rank (0 to 20, 20-50 and so on) can only match their respective ranks. The MMR system needs to be the second parameter in social. This could easily erase the fact that no-lifers match against fresh noobs. Which is not fun for both.

- Add an expand/focus playersearch feature like H5. Let people choose if they want speed over balance in searching players.

- Add 1 to 3 freebies. This idea has passed so many times already. Just do it.

I applaud every form of interaction with the community by 343 and all the new features they are still adding and with Reach coming to MCC, I couldn't be happier with the available content now and in the near future. But really they should stop making excuses or absolute countermeasures for their unbalanced system.

By the way: this problem isn't static, it's dynamic. The player base will change from time to time and using only a strict banning system won't help both 343 and the players when the PC release is coming out. So much new factors and individuals..... this could be the best or the worst thing for Xbox MCC players.
Chimera30 wrote:

Spoiler:
Show
These are some solutions I think could work:

- just add a xp-rank system parameter like reach or Halo 3 in social. Make it so that players between a certain rank (0 to 20, 20-50 and so on) can only match their respective ranks. The MMR system needs to be the second parameter in social. This could easily erase the fact that no-lifers match against fresh noobs. Which is not fun for both.

- Add an expand/focus playersearch feature like H5. Let people choose if they want speed over balance in searching players.

- Add 1 to 3 freebies. This idea has passed so many times already. Just do it.

I applaud every form of interaction with the community by 343 and all the new features they are still adding and with Reach coming to MCC, I couldn't be happier with the available content now and in the near future. But really they should stop making excuses or absolute countermeasures for their unbalanced system.

By the way: this problem isn't static, it's dynamic. The player base will change from time to time and using only a strict banning system won't help both 343 and the players when the PC release is coming out. So much new factors and individuals..... this could be the best or the worst thing for Xbox MCC players.
Great ideas, but I have a couple of thoughts
  • If you have the first criteria for matching be rank, you'll likely create a bigger incentive for people to smurf.
  • Expanded search is a great idea
  • 100% agree on at least 1 freebie. 3 might be too much.
I don't exactly agree with all the scenarios of how people think and what's happening that you laid out before you're suggestions, but that's ok.
Overall great post, this is an example of how people who disagree with the ban system SHOULD communicate.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.
Spoiler:
Show
I suppose there isn't anything in place for the game to detect whether someone quits a game, as opposed to just having a connection timeout? I was getting back into playing H4 Grifball today and I got disconnected randomly twice, the first instance giving a 5 minute ban, the second a 15 minute as is normal. This is just the game randomly kicking me though, and I feel like Halo 4 in general (On MCC and the original game) has that issue. I don't want to have to worry about whether or not I'm going to get banned from matchmaking because of it. I understand why the system is the way it is, because anything else could get exploited easily. I wish there was some way for the game to detect genuine disconnects, and perhaps even give you the ability in social matches to rejoin the game you were disconnected from.
Opixonic wrote:
I suppose there isn't anything in place for the game to detect whether someone quits a game, as opposed to just having a connection timeout?
They can differentiate between an actual quit and a disconnect.

The problem is that it is too easy to exploit disconnects.

EX)
I use an ethernet chord instead of wifi.
I start losing a match really bad.
I pull out my ethernet chord and it disconnects me from the match, so it's not viewed as a 'quit'.

Way too easy. (I don't do that, FTR)
So they treat quits and DCs the same.
I personally hate that the ban system is for social games. These are meant to be casual games (in which there may be some quitters which is fine). It's especially annoying when you get the 5min ban for dcing/glitching out which isn't your fault. If this isn't fixed when MCC comes out on PC, it's gonna be a big issue.

I would suggest just to make the ban system just for competetive and remove it completely from social.

*Edit*. Just got 15min ban because of the garbage servers forcing me out of the game for the 2nd time. See how stupid this ban system is?
I play regardless I love halo. I dont think it's cool on how we get banned just by quiting a game, turning off the xbox, or joining another player while mid game Yall have been banning me because of lost connection and turning off my xbox. I think its absolute crazy to judge on those levels . What happened to the solid gameplay of halo. People love to play instantly and not worry about leaving just because someone is hogging the banshee or tank .I just wish I didn't feel like I was walking on eggshells
Yeah i love getting banned cause i quit to get away from a player who is trolling and weakening me for the other team to kill cause he is mad we are down a few games. Instantly get matched with him again on my team so i quit and I get banned because of someone elses toxic behavior, yay.
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 27
  4. 28
  5. 29
  6. 30
  7. 31
  8. ...
  9. 49