Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

The Official Halo MCC "Why was I banned?" thread

OP stckrboy

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 47
LUKEPOWA wrote:
New Styles wrote:
or you know just rebalance matchmaking...
Yeah, but that's not the only reason why people would go afk.
its the biggest.
New Styles wrote:
its the biggest.
Still wouldn't stop people from afk'ing or quitting. It happens a lot in H5 even when the teams should be balanced, but I think the best solution would be to do both.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
New Styles wrote:
its the biggest.
Still wouldn't stop people from afk'ing or quitting. It happens a lot in H5 even when the teams should be balanced, but I think the best solution would be to do both.
theres never going to be a sure fire way to stop quitting
if someone doesnt like the game im sure putting them in a time out isnt going to solve anything its honestly just going to make people stop playing all together and kill the population even more

the best solution is to rebalance matchmaking once matchmaking is balanced THAN add penalties to people if someone like me is playing and is constantly losing due to poor matchmaking because i search solo and than get to a point where i literally just get fed up and turn the game on once in a while(and this was before the quit ban was even in place, at this point now i barely play because i just dont enjoy the game anymore), but now to find out im getting banned because the matchmaking is horrible?

make it like halo 3
theres literally no reason why it shouldnt be like that. In terms of balance(not ranking system but balance halo 3's had flaws but it was the best out of all 5 and im not refrencing the exp progression or anything just how teams matched each other.)
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Suisun wrote:
New Styles wrote:
LUKEPOWA wrote:
New Styles wrote:
its the biggest.
theres never going to be a sure fire way to stop quitting
if someone doesnt like the game im sure putting them in a time out isnt going to solve anything its honestly just going to make people stop playing all together and kill the population even more

the best solution is to rebalance matchmaking once matchmaking is balanced THAN add penalties to people if someone like me is playing and is constantly losing due to poor matchmaking because i search solo and than get to a point where i literally just get fed up and turn the game on once in a while(and this was before the quit ban was even in place, at this point now i barely play because i just dont enjoy the game anymore), but now to find out im getting banned because the matchmaking is horrible?

make it like halo 3
theres literally no reason why it shouldnt be like that. In terms of balance(not ranking system but balance halo 3's had flaws but it was the best out of all 5 and im not refrencing the exp progression or anything just how teams matched each other.)
lol youre asking for too much. 343 just wants everyone banned and to quit so they dont have to fix the game
I dont even know why I try really
wouldnt it make more sense to add a ban system once the matchmaking is fixed?

A good majority of the time I know I wont win a game with MasterChi3f58573734 on my team especially if the other team has people obviously searching together

When you reach the 30s matchmaking is literally turned into a joke because of the people taking advantage of the party of 3 rule.
I understand most people rage quit but honestly if a game is unplayable because the teams are so skewed especially in ranked can you blame them?

im just advocating for fairness here.

if a group of people are searching together they should have to wait until they find another group of people to play against
they made that decision
there is literally ZERO good reasons to remove party restrictions in ranked play

why would you allow unbalanced teams to play each other in a setting where the whole purpose is to have balanced games due to a ranking system(THATS THE WHOLE PURPOSE OF A RANKING SYSTEM 343) i doubt the majority of people search MM in teams it makes 0 sense to allow this devs.
when the restrictions were in I literally played this game non stop because it was one of the best things 343 did
My thoughts on bans:

1. I personally believe that bans should remain at the original level, where the 24 hour bans were being handed down. To hell these weak quitters, we've put up with them since the game came out. The guys who aren't quitting are the ones you should be catering to. I've had SO MANY amazing games totally ruined by one coward quitter. Oh it's 2-2 in an awesome CTF game? Leave it to one dude to get sad about a dude who sniped him and quit out, leaving us all hanging out to dry.

2. There should not be a lenient "rollback" period. 16 hours and dudes can quit again? No dude. 5 days or something.

3. There should be something that let's the system know that the game unexpectedly crashed. The other day we were playing a match and it crashed, everyone in the game was lagged out at once and sent to the title screen. Everyone got a ban, and no one did anything.

4. We NEED join in progress!!! Not sure if the other halos have it, but damn HCE needs it bad. Can't you guys implement some kind of "Halo karma" ranking by everyone's name? If you join ANY match in progress, you get +karma, if you complete any game +karma, if you win a game or get 1st/2nd place +karma etc. Maybe join in progress as a toggle and just see how it goes? Add achievements and cool medals/flair for not quitting. Add join in progress and 100 kill TS in HCE 4v4 can come back.

5. Vehicle betrayals in HCE 8v8 are a problem. LOTS of dudes are walking in front of my warthog/banshee. It takes almost nothing to betray someone in a vehicle on HCE, which is fine. Perhaps have vehicle betrayals not count toward a kick, and see how it goes?

6. Whenever someone receives a quit ban, don't just tell them "you've been banned from matchmaking." Send them a message that says something like "Quitting out of a match leaves your team at a severe disadvantage, and ruins the game for everyone else. We are asking everyone to stick out all games until the end of the match." Or whatever.

I'm very happy to see action regarding quitters though. I've really enjoyed hearing the crying because over at my house, we've been robbed of so many amazing games because of these damn quitters.

However the problem isn't solely with them, it's also with the current state of HCE. It needs improvement and I'm hoping you guys will truly fix this game.
I live in Kansas and get stuck into the South US data center with out of region players from Mexico and south america. I dodge these players because it's not fun nor fair I am forced to game with high ping players who generally speak Spanish and no English. I have fiber optic wired connection with 24ms latency to south us. 32 to the next nearest. I wish I could block the south us data center.
This problem affects all xbox games for me in kansas as matchmaking thinks I live there.
Lag compensation is my enemy in every game it exist in.
Offer a fix I dont speak Spanish not do I want to learn.
Idk why but in my honest opinion, I don't think I should get banned, not once, but twice for being hit offline or from "lagging out". There needs to be a better way to monitor who's actually "quitting" versus lagging out of a matchmaking game.

ps. please unban me i didn't do anything wrong
Idk why but in my honest opinion, I don't think I should get banned, not once, but twice for being hit offline or from "lagging out". There needs to be a better way to monitor who's actually "quitting" versus lagging out of a matchmaking game.

ps. please unban me i didn't do anything wrong
This is actually a valid point, I can see players launching Denial of service attacks to enact bans upon their "enemies".
New Styles wrote:
OS Wargod wrote:
Thank you 343 for this excellent change in the way we punish quitters. So sick of people quitting just because they cant get a single kill. Yes, it sucks that disconnects are treated as quitting but we will gladly take it if it means preventing quitters from quitting. If someone can't handle something so simple as a video game and not quitting in it, then how can anyone expect them to not quit in real life, which is much more difficult?
you dont seem to realize that all this is doing is making people go AFK
this quit ban literally solved nothing
Naw, I haven't seen anyone go afk, I only see quitters being banned.
The way they're handling this crap is COMPLETELY irresponsible. Banning players after quitting one match? Are you kidding? Then they bring this trumped up BS around of, "Oh in this month you quit this percentage of your games, blah blah blah..." The problem is, this game is chock-full of network issues, and the vast majority of the time that I am "quitting", is when something happens on the server to boot me from the match. That small percentage of the time that I am quitting intentionally, is because several other people in the match have already quit and the teams become completely unbalanced. I don't want to have to sit through that. So in that situation, my options moving forward are:

1. If I'm on the team that vastly outnumbers the other team because most of their teammates quit, I can play cat and mouse until the time runs out, or hope my team reaches the kill limit before time runs out.

2. Sit there and get crapped on in a 4v2 situation because my teammates quit.

At the top of this thread, it even states that the system can take into account if you are in a 1v4 situation, and will not penalize you if you quit as the last man standing on your team. So we're only taking THAT situation into account then? So the last two guys on the team in a 2v4 situation have to see who can take getting crapped on the longest before quitting, because whichever one of them quits gets a ban, while the other player can just quit two seconds after that without penalty?

What about Big Team? Where's the cutoff there? Where does the system say, this is completely unbalanced, and you shouldn't get penalized for quitting? Is it 1v8? 2v8? 3v8? Where do we draw the line?

How about if everybody on the opposing team quits out so it's 4v1 in my favor? Who actually thinks it's fun having to hunt down that last player for the entirety of the match because that last player won't quit or they are AFK? Do I get a ban for quitting from that team of 4 to go find a different lobby?

I've seen people defending this ban behavior by literally saying things like, "They're trying to make people understand that quitting is always selfish, and selfishness is wrong!" These are statements that could only be written and defended by children, because any adult that lives in the real world understands just how juvenile and detached from reality statements like that actually are. For the sake of making the people defending 343's behavior understand, let's apply it to Halo in a situation like this:

I join a match of 4v4. The match starts, and right as I come out of the black screen when the match starts up I see this in the corner of my screen, "420mztrchif4lif420 quit". It's 4v3 in my favor. I don't find that to be fun at all so I quit because even if I win that match, I don't feel like I've earned it. Quitting does benefit me in that situation, which makes my act selfish. My selfishness was not a bad thing however, because it also balanced the teams out so the game is now 3v3 instead of 4v3.

I would say that maybe since the first person that quits potentially creates a cascading effect, maybe that's the person who should be banned. That sounds good in theory. The problem is that this game is chock-full of network issues, and the system can't tell the difference between a rage quit, and somebody getting booted due to network issues that are no fault of their own. So that's out.

The fact is 343 could get around this issue by simply removing the ban, and add a join in progress system. They also need to go a step further and have the system start the next match with a less strict minimum player requirement. So maybe when the next BTB match starts, it's 6v6, but a few minutes in the remaining four spots fill up and it's 8v8 again. The way the system acts now is set up so the next match will only start if absolutely nobody backs out of the post game lobby. This means it's almost always going to be faster to back out of that lobby and find a new match right away.

At the VERY LEAST this should be done for the Social Playlists. This would make people leaving due to rage quitting or getting booted due to network issues (WHICH AGAIN THIS GAME IS CHOCK-FULL OF!!!) a moot point. People aren't going to get as bent out of shape over a match being a man or two down if they know that player is going to replaced within the next minute or two.

Sorry guys, but 343's behavior on this matter is completely irresponsible, and people need to stop defending it. I can admit it's unreasonable to expect them to look at every account that quits a match and make the decision on whether or not to ban it. However if I can admit that, they need to be able to admit that there is a better way to go about this than to use an automated system to build a case against you. Especially when that same system:

1. Cannot tell the difference between rage quitting and network issues.

2. Only makes exceptions to the rule when you are last man standing on a team in a 1v4 situation.

3. Would be made obsolete by adding a join in progress system to the social playlists (at the very least) because a join in progress system would make quitting of any kind, much more of a moot point.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
You realize this was implemented because of mass quitting because I didn't get the game I want. Your playing on 343's servers in MM if you cause bad behavior such as quitting that ruins other people's experiences. If you don't want to get banned don't quit or do Customs.
FormidonisRex
Before these quit bans came in, there were tons of people who were just as passionate as you who were begging for quit bans.
Seems 343 swung the pendulum too far.

This could all be resolved with 2 things, plus one potential bonus.
1. Give everyone 1 freebie per day.
2. Implement JIP in all social playlists.
3. Bonus, since it might be super tricky - find a way to differentiate between quitting and DC. I know some people might find a way to abuse the DC, which is why this is a bonus.

Honestly quit bans need to be there, and somewhat strict, but within reason. Your huge post seemed a little drastic.
You realize this was implemented because of mass quitting because I didn't get the game I want. Your playing on 343's servers in MM if you cause bad behavior such as quitting that ruins other people's experiences. If you don't want to get banned don't quit or do Customs.
"You realize this was implemented because of mass quitting because I didn't get the game I want."

Do you realize that regardless of their intentions, or the reasoning behind their intentions, this is still a terrible system?

"Your playing on 343's servers in MM if you cause bad behavior such as quitting that ruins other people's experiences."

Either you fundamentally lack an understanding of my post, or you are intentionally being ignorant in an attempt to defend 343's bs behavior. To re-iterate, just in case you missed it:
-The vast majority of games I "quit" are due to being booted because of random network issues (WHICH THIS GAME IS CHOCK-FULL OF!!!).
-Being dependent on an automated system to build a case against you, which cannnot tell the difference between rage quitting and network issues is in fact lazy and irresponsible on their part, especially when you consider there are much better alternatives.
-There is small percentage of games that I do quit intentionally, but only after other people have already quit to the point that teams are completely unbalanced.
-Quitting would be a moot point if 343 just did a better job of handling matchmaking. At least for social playlists, join in progress could be implemented along with a system that doesn't make it so the game has to 8v8 to start for Big Team, or 4v4 to start for smaller game types.

Take CoD's matchmaking for example. I fully acknowledge that it is not something that could ever work with ranked playlists in Halo, but it could certainly work with the social playlists. As it stands now, even in Halo's social playlists, you have to search a while before the game locks you into something you don't know if you're actually going to want to play. This only makes it that much more frustrating when you get into a match and people quit. By it's very design, Halo's matchmaking does nothing to handle quitting or alleviate the effects on people sticking the match through. With CoD on the other hand, nobody cares when people quit a match because the system is designed in such a way that quitting is a moot point.
-Nobody cares if they have a teammate or two quit when other players can come in and fill those spots, and it happens quickly.
-Just because you're playing a Big Team type playlist, doesn't mean you need a full lobby of exactly 8v8 (or whatever) for the game to start. A game will start with 12 or 14 players, and let the remaining spots get filled as the match goes on.
-When a match ends, the game quickly lets you know what the next gametype and map are going to be. Players who have this information, coupled with the fact they know the lobby doesn't need to be completely full for the match to start, are more likely to stick around.

"If you don't want to get banned don't quit or do Customs."

I don't have a whole lot of people to run customs with at all. Even if I did, I don't have the game installed anymore. This new system, along with the general attitude and responses toward people bringing up legitimate concerns, whether from other members of the community or 343 themselves, has made me not want to play the game for a good long while. 343's handling of this situation is exactly the kind of thing that damages the Halo community, and it's mind boggling that people can sit here and defend it.
"You realize this was implemented because of mass quitting because I didn't get the game I want."

Do you realize that regardless of their intentions, or the reasoning behind their intentions, this is still a terrible system?

"Your playing on 343's servers in MM if you cause bad behavior such as quitting that ruins other people's experiences."

Either you fundamentally lack an understanding of my post, or you are intentionally being ignorant in an attempt to defend 343's bs behavior. To re-iterate, just in case you missed it:
-The vast majority of games I "quit" are due to being booted because of random network issues (WHICH THIS GAME IS CHOCK-FULL OF!!!).
-Being dependent on an automated system to build a case against you, which cannnot tell the difference between rage quitting and network issues is in fact lazy and irresponsible on their part, especially when you consider there are much better alternatives.
-There is small percentage of games that I do quit intentionally, but only after other people have already quit to the point that teams are completely unbalanced.
-Quitting would be a moot point if 343 just did a better job of handling matchmaking. At least for social playlists, join in progress could be implemented along with a system that doesn't make it so the game has to 8v8 to start for Big Team, or 4v4 to start for smaller game types.

Take CoD's matchmaking for example. I fully acknowledge that it is not something that could ever work with ranked playlists in Halo, but it could certainly work with the social playlists. As it stands now, even in Halo's social playlists, you have to search a while before the game locks you into something you don't know if you're actually going to want to play. This only makes it that much more frustrating when you get into a match and people quit. By it's very design, Halo's matchmaking does nothing to handle quitting or alleviate the effects on people sticking the match through. With CoD on the other hand, nobody cares when people quit a match because the system is designed in such a way that quitting is a moot point.
-Nobody cares if they have a teammate or two quit when other players can come in and fill those spots, and it happens quickly.
-Just because you're playing a Big Team type playlist, doesn't mean you need a full lobby of exactly 8v8 (or whatever) for the game to start. A game will start with 12 or 14 players, and let the remaining spots get filled as the match goes on.
-When a match ends, the game quickly lets you know what the next gametype and map are going to be. Players who have this information, coupled with the fact they know the lobby doesn't need to be completely full for the match to start, are more likely to stick around.

I don't have a whole lot of people to run customs with at all. Even if I did, I don't have the game installed anymore. This new system, along with the general attitude and responses to people bringing up legitimate concerns, has made me not want to play the game for a good long while. 343's handling of this situation is exactly the kind of thing that damages the Halo community, and it's mind boggling that people can sit here and defend it.
Again you don't seem to understand why this ban system was implemented. Before the August Update there was mass quitting do to people not wanting to play a certain game(s) or gametype(s). I'll give you an example here Wednesday night I decided to search Halo CE BTB Objective and three people over the mic said this map is lame let's just quit out and they complained oh I shouldn't be punished blah blah etc. 343 did their job you can literally play what game and gametypes you want now. Yet their are entitled people who complain oh I don't like this map I shouldn't be punished for quitting. There are maps I don't like but still play. Don't blame 343 blame people like this that ruin matches by quitting.
AshamanND wrote:
FormidonisRexBefore these quit bans came in, there were tons of people who were just as passionate as you who were begging for quit bans.
Seems 343 swung the pendulum too far.

This could all be resolved with 2 things, plus one potential bonus.
1. Give everyone 1 freebie per day.
2. Implement JIP in all social playlists.
3. Bonus, since it might be super tricky - find a way to differentiate between quitting and DC. I know some people might find a way to abuse the DC, which is why this is a bonus.

Honestly quit bans need to be there, and somewhat strict, but within reason. Your huge post seemed a little drastic.
The problem is more with the fact that the very design of Halo's matchmaking system is what makes people quitting in general so frustrating, regardless of getting disconnected, full on rage quitting, or anything in between. The fact is they could implement things like join in progress, making it so a lobby doesn't need to be completely full to start a match, and letting you see what the next map and gametype are before locking you in. These features would do more to alleviate frustrations with quitting, and will have more positive effects on the longevity of the community, than handing out bans (regardless of how temporary they are) for quitting in a system that is frustrating by it's very design, in a game that is already as broken as MCC.

I don't have a whole lot of people to run customs with at all. Even if I did, I don't have the game installed anymore. This new system, along with the general attitude and responses to people bringing up legitimate concerns, has made me not want to play the game for a good long while. 343's handling of this situation is exactly the kind of thing that damages the Halo community, and it's mind boggling that people can sit here and defend it.
Again you don't seem to understand why this ban system was implemented. Before the August Update there was mass quitting do to people not wanting to play a certain game(s) or gametype(s). I'll give you an example here Wednesday night I decided to search Halo CE BTB Objective and three people over the mic said this map is lame let's just quit out and they complained oh I shouldn't be punished blah blah etc. 343 did their job you can literally play what game and gametypes you want now. Yet their are entitled people who complain oh I don't like this map I shouldn't be punished for quitting. There are maps I don't like but still play. Don't blame 343 blame people like this that ruin matches by quitting.
No, I understand perfectly why they have implemented this new ban system. Yeah, people rage quitting is frustrating. Mass quitting due to people not wanting to play a certain game, game type, or map, is frustrating. The fact that they implemented a better system to actually find matches, does not justify this crummy, "quit once and you get a ban" system. Regardless of how temporary said ban is.

Again, you do not understand that regardless of their intentions, or the reasoning behind their intentions, this is still a really crummy system. Period.

No, I understand perfectly why they have implemented this new ban system. Yeah, people rage quitting is frustrating. Mass quitting due to people not wanting to play a certain game, game type, or map, is frustrating. The fact that they implemented a better system to actually find matches, does not justify this crummy, "quit once and you get a ban" system. Regardless of how temporary said ban is.

Again, you do not understand that regardless of their intentions, or the reasoning behind their intentions, this is still a really crummy system. Period.
The problem is there isn no way to differentiate between a bad connection. Tothe dedicated server versus someone using other methods to make it look like the case. I actually got the blue screen of Halo 2 during a match and no one got a quit ban because of it so the system does recongnize server failure.
Lol, I’ve already played a few games today where I have a terrible team and several people who don’t quit AFK. You’re not going to force someone to try if they don’t want to. You’re going to see this eventually if you haven’t yet.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 47