Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

The Official Halo MCC "Why was I banned?" thread

OP stckrboy

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 47
  4. 48
  5. 49
  6. 50
  7. 51
  8. ...
  9. 81
AshamanND wrote:
I just want to say that I feel like this thread has kinda been hijacked in the last while.
I want to commend the mods for leaving it open - this goes to show that they ARE willing to listen, even in the face of serious breach of the basic forum rules.
Most normal threads that go this far off topic are LOCKED, end of story.

That said, this thread has an opportunity to give 343 valuable feedback about how people feel about the ban system in MCC. Here are my thoughts, once again:
  • Please give us all 1 free quit per day. I know you won't remove the bans for D/C (for good reason) so I think this would help in scenarios where people get unfairly disconnected.
  • An OPTION to forfeit a game (at any time, and with no penalty other than the loss) where the whole team would have to accept this option, would be valuable. There are many games, often in BTB, where a team of 8 is stomping a team of randoms. Unfortunately, often times the randoms don't have 4 or more quit - meaning the remaining players are either stuck playing out a terrible match, or can quit and take the ban.
  • Better communicate to players that they CAN quit with no penalty after 50% of their team already quit.
  • Better communicate to players if the ban rules change. (Ie update the OP here right away)
  • Fix the quit bans for when the game starts with lopsided teams. When a game starts 3v4, and 1 person from the team of 3 quits, the other two should be allowed to quit with no ban. This does not seem to be the case currently.
  • Consider JIP as an 'opt-in' feature for social games.
This thread can also be an educational tool for players that don't understand why they are being banned - make sure you always read the OP.

Remember, people can be upset with something and ask for change, while still being respectful and following the rules of the forums - I implore you all to do this.
You'll be far more likely to see results.

I like the games, and feel like 343 has done a lot of work - but I'm not without criticism. I just try to be realistic and respectful about it.
really like this post, even if i don't agree with 1 freebie per day. (then again, i may be one who wants to be to harsh to quitters)

a forefit option would really help. and of course communication is key and could also help a lot.

another thing i can maybe think of: keep track of the score. when the game is getting one-sided like a 30 kill difference (with at least 40 points for one team) then there won't be penalties. or with CTF: when it's 4-0 (4-1) and the losing team is very clearly outslayed (which is tracked by the game) maybe then allow quits. similar things applied for KOTH and ODDBALL... these are just some ideas i haven't really thought through, but maybe they can be food for thought.
but i don't want the quit penalties to go away overall.

JIP i don't know about, but i think this is something which could either be really good or really bad. it was in halo 4 (don't know about 5), so there must be a reason it isn't in MCC (maybe technical?)
WSerg wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
really like this post, even if i don't agree with 1 freebie per day. (then again, i may be one who wants to be to harsh to quitters)

a forefit option would really help. and of course communication is key and could also help a lot.

another thing i can maybe think of: keep track of the score. when the game is getting one-sided like a 30 kill difference (with at least 40 points for one team) then there won't be penalties. or with CTF: when it's 4-0 (4-1) and the losing team is very clearly outslayed (which is tracked by the game) maybe then allow quits. similar things applied for KOTH and ODDBALL... these are just some ideas i haven't really thought through, but maybe they can be food for thought.
but i don't want the quit penalties to go away overall.

JIP i don't know about, but i think this is something which could either be really good or really bad. it was in halo 4 (don't know about 5), so there must be a reason it isn't in MCC (maybe technical?)
Finally some discussion!

Yeah, JIP is contentious for sure. I think mostly it isn't in MCC because of how the networking for the old titles worked. Not sure though.

Your idea of the losing team being allowed to quit when severely outscored is interesting. But likely doesn't solve the main issue. By the time the score gets to that point, the game is close to over anyhow - probably best to just let it finish naturally.
My instinct is that it would require too much effort to code that, for the amount of return.
It's when a game gets out of hand early that feels like a bigger problem to me.

Good to keep thinking outside the box though!
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, or post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.
Spoiler:
Show
So uh, i just downloaded halo reach and got the long update done overnight. I just joined my first lobby in reach and got kicked from the lobby and banned before the game even loaded or started...i was banned at 6:30 and im still not able to play. no chance at getting the 343 vs the world event stuff or anything cause i cant play. pls help

edit: 1 hour after ban. still cant play. ive got no shot at getting any plates from the 343 v the world event. this system is broken

edit v2: still banned from matchmaking..there goes my chance at the 343 v world event...thanks a lot guys, what a great way to keep old players
Spoiler:
Show
So uh, i just downloaded halo reach and got the long update done overnight. I just joined my first lobby in reach and got kicked from the lobby and banned before the game even loaded or started...i was banned at 6:30 and im still not able to play. no chance at getting the 343 vs the world event stuff or anything cause i cant play. pls help

edit: 1 hour after ban. still cant play. ive got no shot at getting any plates from the 343 v the world event. this system is broken

edit v2: still banned from matchmaking..there goes my chance at the 343 v world event...thanks a lot guys, what a great way to keep old players
If you read the OP, you'll see the ban criteria clearly listed.

If you were banned for a longer period of time, it's likely due to whatever matches you played just before the update.
If you quit several times in a day, the duration lengthens.

Quote:
Current ban ladder for MCC:
  • First offence: 5 minute ban
  • Second offense: 15 minute ban
  • Third offense: 60 minute ban
  • Fourth offense: 16 hour ban
If you don't have a quit within a 24 hour period, then you will reset back to the first step on the ban ladder. There is still a record of how many quits you have, but its not used in this automated system.
Quote:
Why was I banned for winning a match / quitting one match / quitting a custom game? *You weren't. The ban system runs at least 1 game behind so your ban will have been placed for a previous offence. After completing your next event, whether it is a matchmaking game, custom game, forge session, spectating a friend or viewing theatre, the system will then show you a message telling you that you have been banned.
If the last time you played, you didn't quit, and then you load up today and get disconnected - it should have been a 5 minute ban - that's it.

If this isn't the case, please file a ticket on the halo support site, giving them the full details.
Please review this post to determine how to provide this feedback.
AshamanND wrote:
WSerg wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
Finally some discussion!

Yeah, JIP is contentious for sure. I think mostly it isn't in MCC because of how the networking for the old titles worked. Not sure though.

Your idea of the losing team being allowed to quit when severely outscored is interesting. But likely doesn't solve the main issue. By the time the score gets to that point, the game is close to over anyhow - probably best to just let it finish naturally.
My instinct is that it would require too much effort to code that, for the amount of return.
It's when a game gets out of hand early that feels like a bigger problem to me.

Good to keep thinking outside the box though!
i know i haven't really thought it through, but i think if a team starts really well and builds a high lead early on, a comeback is still possible. granted, my idea would only shorten the time being stomped by a very small amount, but it could at least prevent getting killed over and over again in objective game types until the time runs out. the scores i mentioned were just first things that came to my mind and it has to be tested.
about the technical implementation, i have no idea how hard it is to code, but i could also imagine it to be very difficult... like i said. just some early thoughts.
but i really think there could be a thing inbetween 'just ban for everything' and 'no ban at all' (even for the first quit), which kind of there is already with the free quit after half the team left.

for the disconnect: i think it is possible to differenciate between DCs and normal quits, so maybe allow one free DC quit. i'm still against allowing one free normal quit. if something important comes up in real life you will need 5 minutes anyway. and even if it doesn't take 5 minutes, you won't have to wait for a very long time.
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
so my question here is, why have they not fixed the MM or ban system yet?
surely they got some staff that can easily fix it right?
honestly they should just get rid of quit bans for socials there's no reason for it to exist on a casual category of MM
Okay so, just started playing Halo again. Specifically Reach. During my matches on team snipers I kept getting put up against a player named... Idk Jarrod. Half way through one game, as all my teammates left, every time I died from Jarrod he’d run over and teabag me. I didn’t do anything back till the next game. That of which, I was against Jarrod. He continued to teabag me so I decide to do it back the next time I kill him. And this goes on and on till finally, I start to lag, then leave the game and now, here I am. Wondering what I did wrong. And he didn’t get banned either so. They system should have at least banned us both but nope. Just me. Makes me up set >=(
Okay so, just started playing Halo again. Specifically Reach. During my matches on team snipers I kept getting put up against a player named... Idk Jarrod. Half way through one game, as all my teammates left, every time I died from Jarrod he’d run over and teabag me. I didn’t do anything back till the next game. That of which, I was against Jarrod. He continued to teabag me so I decide to do it back the next time I kill him. And this goes on and on till finally, I start to lag, then leave the game and now, here I am. Wondering what I did wrong. And he didn’t get banned either so. They system should have at least banned us both but nope. Just me. Makes me up set >=(
If you read the first post, quiting (or disconnecting) from a match yields a 5 minute ban for first time.
If I may add to (or start) some discussion, I don't think social playlists should impose a penalty upon those who choose to leave of their own volition. This sort of thing should be kept more strictly for a ranked or competitive playlist. I realize that there is no join in progress to replace those who quit, but it seems a bit too aggressive. (I am assuming these bans can be applied if you leave during a social match, if I'm not incorrect to assume so).

These sort of penalties don't address the issue of those who frequently drop out of matches, it merely stops them from re-queuing for a short period. The only true way to address the issue is to allow join in progress for social matches, but that's not how the original games functioned, and would likely have been too difficult or different to implement.
If I may add to (or start) some discussion, I don't think social playlists should impose a penalty upon those who choose to leave of their own volition. This sort of thing should be kept more strictly for a ranked or competitive playlist. I realize that there is no join in progress to replace those who quit, but it seems a bit too aggressive. (I am assuming these bans can be applied if you leave during a social match, if I'm not incorrect to assume so).

These sort of penalties don't address the issue of those who frequently drop out of matches, it merely stops them from re-queuing for a short period. The only true way to address the issue is to allow join in progress for social matches, but that's not how the original games functioned, and would likely have been too difficult or different to implement.
i 100% agree with this, rather then the bans they should have just let people join session in progress.
Just got out of a game that i was forced to AFK in, why is MM bad?
There is something very wrong with the current system, because this game is filled with AFK farmers spinning in circles, I decide to leave because what's the point of playing a match where half my team isn't playing. Then I get met with a ban notice, the ban increases as I quit more matches because of the first problem, AFK farmers are very prevalent in this current build of the game. Why should I get punished for actually wanting to play the game, but my teammates who don't and want to unlock their armor by AFK farming get rewarded.
There is something very wrong with the current system, because this game is filled with AFK farmers spinning in circles, I decide to leave because what's the point of playing a match where half my team isn't playing. Then I get met with a ban notice, the ban increases as I quit more matches because of the first problem, AFK farmers are very prevalent in this current build of the game. Why should I get punished for actually wanting to play the game, but my teammates who don't and want to unlock their armor by AFK farming get rewarded.
Welcome to Reach. Now you see what firefight players had to endure for years because Bungie/343 wouldn't patch the credit payouts to make AFKing worthless, AND "avoid player" on 360 never worked so I used to run into the same AFKers every day.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 47
  4. 48
  5. 49
  6. 50
  7. 51
  8. ...
  9. 81