Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

The Official Halo MCC "Why was I banned?" thread

OP stckrboy

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 94
  4. 95
  5. 96
  6. 97
  7. 98
  8. ...
  9. 100
...the system is broken or 343 is targeting innocent players for the fun of it...
This is not something that's happening
...definitely haven't quit or been dropped but either way thats still broken...
As has been mentioned already, please make sure and file reports in the Halo Support site about these issues: https://aka.ms/HaloSupport
AshamanND wrote:
stckrboy wrote:
considering non of this was in the original games you should be thankful you guys are still allowed to make halo games.
I don't work for 343. Also, previous games had ban systems as well. Not exactly like this one as each game was different, but you were still banned for certain actions.
and for the last damn time, i am not being disconnected or dropping or quitting, so give it a break with blaming people or their networks, accept the fact something is bugged out with this crap and stop being a puppet for 343 and this broken system.
Jesus man, then file a report then. Lol if it is a bug, it's a small one because I don't see anybody else talking about. Either you're telling the truth, or you're quitting games. Either way only thing you can do is file a report, what the hell is complaining to any and everybody that replies to you calling them puppets and -Yoink- going to do? Nothing
Gotta love how this game still has this crappy ban system, been banned after every single game tonight for no reason. not disconnecting, not being booted for betrayal, not xp gaining, not afk, just get banned after the game and kicked back to the match composer each time. 343 you guys need to hand halo over to a competent studio
AshamanND wrote:
stckrboy wrote:
considering non of this was in the original games you should be thankful you guys are still allowed to make halo games.
I don't work for 343. Also, previous games had ban systems as well. Not exactly like this one as each game was different, but you were still banned for certain actions.
[snip]
I'm not being disconnected at all, i have great internet and play each and every game completely from launch to being automatically entered into the queue for a new game. the system is broken or 343 is targeting innocent players for the fun of it. I like how you instantly assume it's the players fault when this thread is littered with people complaining of the ban system being broken, maybe i'm being banned for someone else dropping out of the game or quitting but I definitely haven't quit or been dropped but either way thats still broken.

[snip]anyways, the point is i have not done anything wrong or been dropped or disconnected and last night received a ban after each game for the same length of time. that to me says at a minimum the ban system was broken last night and probably is doing the same to other people who just put up with it or shut off the game.

and for the last damn time, i am not being disconnected or dropping or quitting, so give it a break with blaming people or their networks, accept the fact something is bugged out with this crap and stop being a puppet for 343 and this broken system.
Looks like I missed part of your comment or you edited it greatly.
I was going off your first comment where you said you are being kicked back to the match composer.
That, to me, sounded like you're being disconnected.

So again - file a ticket.
I defenely agree whit this current system, and I m so happy that 343i is doing great with Halo MCC
Hey I know this says Xbox but there isn't a equivalent thread for PC, thought I would try here.

Logged into MCC today to receive a message saying I was banned for 2 weeks. No idea why etc. Played some games last night, all good, went to bed, woke up to this.

Have read the "Why Was I Banned" support article, couldn't see where any of the reasons would apply to me.

Very very confused, there's no message on here or on the Support site or anything.
Zionyx wrote:
Logged into MCC today to receive a message saying I was banned for 2 weeks. No idea why etc. Played some games last night, all good, went to bed, woke up to this.
Two week bans usually mean you either afk'ed a bunch of games or you said something bad in the game text chat.
I started Halo MCC today and couldn't play a match through Social Matchmaking, despite being able to do so yesterday consistently; to my surprise, I've been banned for 1 week and there's no detailed reason. I would appreciate a clear explanation or an unban in case it's a mistake, as this is the second time this happens without warning or clarification, and always happens when I have free time to enjoy the game I paid for.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Zionyx wrote:
Two week bans usually mean you either afk'ed a bunch of games or you said something bad in the game text chat.
Neither of these are things I do. Even if they were, two weeks with no warning or explanation is... odd.

Editing to add - to do this on a Friday evening (US West time) is incredibly annoying/poor form. There’s no support staff available etc, so little chance of anything getting resolved for days.
stckrboy wrote:
The following FAQ should answer some of your questions about Halo: The Master Chief Collection bans. We will update this FAQ as necessary.
I received an in-game message saying I have been banned. Why?If you are checking this page because of an in-game message, it is likely that you have been banned for either quitting repetitively, violating the terms of use, attempted Playlist Ranking manipulation, have been found to be conducting network manipulation, and/or committing a code of conduct violation. It is also possible, in the case of an especially egregious violation, that your Xbox One system itself is now banned from Matchmaking. The duration of this ban is based on the type, frequency or nature of the committed violation. In most cases, Custom Games will still be available. In extreme cases, they will not.

How can I tell how long I was banned for? Ban duration will be shown in the message that appears as the ban hammer strikes. First offences are generally low and last only a few minutes, but will increase in duration incrementally with each subsequent ban.

Current ban ladder for MCC:
  • First offence: 5 minute ban
  • Second offense: 15 minute ban
  • Third offense: 60 minute ban
  • Fourth offense: 16 hour ban
If you don't have a quit within a 24 hour period, then you will reset back to the first step on the ban ladder. There is still a record of how many quits you have, but its not used in this automated system.
What types of actions can result in a ban?Types of violation include, but are not limited to, the following example actions:
  • Modifying your Xbox One hardware or game software and services in any way.
  • Idling through games, habitual quitting, suiciding, betraying, dodging matches or any other type of unsociable and unsportsmanlike behavior.
  • Impersonating a 343 Industries or Microsoft employee on Xbox LIVE with intent to defraud or cause harm to other players.
Although the system is able to detect the difference between quitting from the in-game menu and disconnecting, it cannot determine the cause for that disconnection. This means that dropping from the server, your internet / power going out or intentionally switching your router / modem off are all treated the exact same. If they weren't then this would be open to abuse.

Why was I banned for quitting one match? * The ban system observes if you are quitting out of matchmaking and will enforce a matchmaking ban should you choose to quit out of matches. The more matches you quit, the more severe the bans become as it takes more than a single offence to earn a significant matchmaking ban. These extended bans will be enforced from multiple quits placing the lengthier bans being placed on your account.

Quit Ban Changes as of 13/12/2018
  • Users are no longer banned for quitting in Lone Wolves or Infection
  • Quitters will still receive losses and incur the associated rank penalty in Lone Wolves
  • Users are no longer banned for quitting 1v1s
  • Quitting from the first half of a team incurs bans.
  • Quitting from the second half of a team does not. This is true for all player counts (2v2, 4v4, 8v8)
Why was I banned for winning a match / quitting one match / quitting a custom game? *You weren't. The ban system runs at least 1 game behind so your ban will have been placed for a previous offence. After completing your next event, whether it is a matchmaking game, custom game, forge session, spectating a friend or viewing theatre, the system will then show you a message telling you that you have been banned.
I shouldn't be banned. My brother/sister/cousin/dad/mom/friend must've logged on with my account and done bad things. Will you please reverse my ban?If this is indeed the case, we do understand your frustration. However, it is your sole responsibility to keep your account information secure and not share it with others who would abuse it. We have no way of detecting who is playing with your account, and if your gamertag is caught making naughty, you will be banned. Those are the rules.

I didn't do anything wrong, and you can't prove it. Will you please reverse my ban?Our automated system builds up a digital case prior to any ban being enacted. Bans for quitting will not be reversed.
Will posting in this thread guarantee my ban will be lifted and that someone will respond personally to every post?Unfortunately, no. We simply don't have enough eyes, ears and typing hands to respond to every single post. However, the community will help keep you honest. Please, just keep it clean.

The purpose of this thread is to keep all questions pertaining to bans in one place. Without a megathread for such questions, the rest of the forum will almost certainly turn into a cavalcade of ban questions. If you were banned and think you have a case, this is the ONLY thread you should post in.

If other moderators see posts pertaining to bans in other threads, a kind-hearted mod will re-direct you to this thread. If any users are caught habitually spamming ban threads in other threads, we will consider that a violation of the forum Terms of Use.

You will risk being banned here as well. We don't want to have to ban anyone, but we do want an open, honest and positive place to post about all things Halo, so a thread like this is necessary.

Thanks in advance!

Updated: 14/01/2018 - Postums
Is there a thread like this but for PC? It seems PC and Xbox are enforced differently.
Just got a 30 day ban for apparently not playing for a few days. Anyone else getting crazy long ban times without explanation?
I went to play firefight and said I was banned till 10/09/20 8:07pm I don't know what I was banned for can anyone help me out?
I went to play Firefight for the 30 firefights challenge and found out that I've been banned from matchmaking for a few days (Ban will be lifted on 10/09/2020) And I honestly don't know what I did wrong, I haven't abandoned any games, or intentionally suicided, or idled/afked, or intentionally betrayed people recently. How can I appeal this ban and get unbanned, or at the very least find out why I got a multi-day ban so I don't do it again?
To everyone coming in and posting:
"I got banned, I don't know what I did wrong, I didn't get a message why" - It's something you either said, or did, in matchmaking that triggered either a report against you, or a flag for the enforcement team to look at you.

If you want to know what you did, or if it was in error, the forums here will not likely give you a personalized response.

Your best best is to submit a support ticket here: https://support.halowaypoint.com/hc/en-us.

Hopefully this process sheds some light for some of you on your behaviors, and how to correct them - or if you were indeed wrongly banned, it will help get it resolved.
AshamanND wrote:
"I got banned, I don't know what I did wrong, I didn't get a message why" - It's something you either said, or did, in matchmaking that triggered either a report against you, or a flag for the enforcement team to look at you.

If you want to know what you did, or if it was in error, the forums here will not likely give you a personalized response.

Your best best is to submit a support ticket here: https://support.halowaypoint.com/hc/en-us.

Hopefully this process sheds some light for some of you on your behaviors, and how to correct them - or if you were indeed wrongly banned, it will help get it resolved.
I just don't understand why they haven't implemented a ban system that tells you, why you're banned. I haven't been banned personally (except when I do have to quit a game), but I can imagine it being pretty frustrating to get on, start playing, and just be told "ur baned lolz" without a reason. Wouldn't it make more sense so they know to correct that behavior?
AshamanND wrote:

I just don't understand why they haven't implemented a ban system that tells you, why you're banned. I haven't been banned personally (except when I do have to quit a game), but I can imagine it being pretty frustrating to get on, start playing, and just be told "ur baned lolz" without a reason. Wouldn't it make more sense so they know to correct that behavior?
The rules are posted in various places, and the support site is available to submit tickets and requests.
Perhaps it'd be nice to get a personalized message explaining why you get banned, but I don't think they're interested in hand-holding.

The support site is more than Bungie ever did for engagement with the Halo community, so I think it's a step in the right direction.
Perhaps there is a way to implement some kind of message in the future, but right now it might be tough. They may not have permission to email people, or send direct Xbox Live messages to people either. And if people have never been on Waypoint before, they can't send them a message here either. So it would probably need to be something in-game, and I think that's a lot trickier to implement than we might think.

That said, I think the support site is a good step for now.

[edit]perhaps the answer is to change the in-game message that says "you're banned until x/x/x" to also say - "Visit the Halo Support site for Information on how to submit a support request"
Although, this would probably open the floodgates for a TON of work to respond to things.
I started getting random bans when I started using a mouse. I bought it off Amazon and it has 7200 possible DPI with a lot of different settings. Link below. I'm banned until 10/9 and its probably been longer than that as I haven't played in a few days. Was I banned for using my mouse, and can I get it lifted?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FZ3BR5S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
AshamanND wrote:
AshamanND wrote:

The rules are posted in various places, and the support site is available to submit tickets and requests.
Perhaps it'd be nice to get a personalized message explaining why you get banned, but I don't think they're interested in hand-holding.

The support site is more than Bungie ever did for engagement with the Halo community, so I think it's a step in the right direction.
Perhaps there is a way to implement some kind of message in the future, but right now it might be tough. They may not have permission to email people, or send direct Xbox Live messages to people either. And if people have never been on Waypoint before, they can't send them a message here either. So it would probably need to be something in-game, and I think that's a lot trickier to implement than we might think.

That said, I think the support site is a good step for now.

[edit]perhaps the answer is to change the in-game message that says "you're banned until x/x/x" to also say - "Visit the Halo Support site for Information on how to submit a support request"
Although, this would probably open the floodgates for a TON of work to respond to things.
Well if Halo 5 can do it, MCC could. I feel having to go to a website to go easter egg hunting for the reason you got banned is pretty unnecessary. It's not really hand holding at all, it's letting you know why you got in trouble, and that's the behavior you need to correct. It doesn't really make sense to post the rules everywhere EXCEPT the game.

Personally, I've never been supported by the support site lol.

It'd be like getting arrested and when you ask why, the officer just says "you will be facing 'X' amount of prison time. If you wanna figure out what you're being arrested for, please visit our website"
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.
Spoiler:
Show
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 94
  4. 95
  5. 96
  6. 97
  7. 98
  8. ...
  9. 100