Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

The official "Let us choose our servers" thread.

OP Darth Nint

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
UPDATES
01/07/2019:
Good news everyone! Postums confirmed we'll be able to "force play on only local regional servers": https://imgur.com/U4AwQKm

26/06/2019:
Looks like Postums acknowledged this issue on Twitter days ago: https://twitter.com/343Postums/status/1141472704689688576

INTRODUCTION
It's been more than one year and half since Bonnie Ross made an appearance during a Halo livestream, finally addressing the issues of the MCC and breaking a silence that had lasted for years. Her promises to the community were simple, yet meaningful: that the game would be at last fixed, and that 343i would be more open and transparent to the fans. Since then I'd say that her promises were largely kept: the game is now working better than ever, and 343i has completely changed how it approaches the fans, for the best obviously.
However I said "largely", and I think anyone who isn't from East America and plays regularly MCC can guess why: because when it comes to a certain issue that the fans have been complaining about for months, the treatment received is no better than what they were used to in the past: silence and lack of acknowledgements.

THE ISSUE IN QUESTION
If you live outside America (or, to a lesser degree, just outside East America), then your MCC experience will likely be a mess, since the vast majority of the time you will get matched to a foreign server, like the now infamous East US 2, instead of your local server. It's obvious how a higher ping can compromise your experience, but I still want to quote Thorulfr, who posted a nice summary on an older feedback thread:
Quote:
Melee registration delays
Shot registration delays
Shot registration errors (AR in particular, hits do not register)
Grenade throw input latency (This also locks your gun away until the delayed animation completes, meaning you can't shoot after throwing a nade for longer, the higher your ping is).
Ping disparity between other players in the same match (i.e all ties go to lower ping player).
- Mainly in my case this is several AU residents and several US West residents playing on a US West based server.
Jittery movement of enemies and allies, - lots of client side prediction being reset or "rubber-banding", inconsistencies in model position.
Position supremacy of low-ping players (you can be pushed around by lower ping players)
Weapon pick-up delays
Equipment/powerup usage delays (lose ties to low ping players here).
Bullets won't penetrate mesh barriers wheras lower ping player's bullets will.
Enemy grenades seem to detonate early from higher ping player's perspective (much harder to react).
Projectile Weapon delays (all projectiles, however, most noticeable on the rocket in all games, brute shot in all games and to a lesser extent plasma rifle/pistol in all games)
H1/H2/H2A/H3 - plasma pistol won't lock on, or will completely miss.
All Games - with the needler it is nearly impossible to hit a moving target - won't track/register properly.

WHY THIS ISSUE EXISTS
Many have speculated that this happens because of a lack of local population: since the algorithm gives preference to populated servers, if the game sees that your local one is empty, then it switches over to the most populated one with the most acceptable ping. For Europeans this happens to be the East US 2 server, for the Australians the West US one.
I'll be honest: I don't believe this is the case. I mean sure, I could understand the lack of local people if you are searching for a ranked match on a niche playlist and you're like level 47, but I find hard to believe that the MCC population is low enough that you literally can't find 7 other players in the whole Europe or Australia when you are searching for a social match with all the games/modes enabled.
Instead, when you search with all the games/modes enabled, the matchmaking is insanely fast, like 2 or 3 seconds of waiting time, and you always get matched to a foreign server, giving the impression that the game isn't even trying to find a game in your local server.
When you pair this with all those reports that claim you can get matched to a US server even if 7 players belong to your area, while the remaining one is American, it's not that far fetched to reach the conclusion that the algorithm isn't just working correctly, or that 343i hasn't given us the full explanation on how it truly works.

WHY I MADE THIS THREAD AND WHAT IS ITS OBJECTIVE
I wanted to make a thread where we could collect all of our voices in the same place, since I fear that 343i may not realize how widespread this problem is when all the complaints are scattered through the various topics. In a way it's meant to be similar to the one that has been requesting playable Elites for years, with the difference that this is an actual and legit issue (I'm kidding! :D).
The objective, obviously, is to get what we want: the ability to choose our servers, which - and this is important to underline - is different from locking the community to their local servers just like the MCC did when it first got updated last year, a decision that was later reversed. The point is that each player should have to ability to make its call: if to wait longer for a better connection, or to play instantaneously at the risk of a bad connection.
Alternatively, if this is impossibile, then It would be nice to at least get an official response and receive an explanation on why this issue can't get fixed.

WHAT THE COMMUNITY HAS SAID OVER THIS ISSUE, PART 1
This thread is supposed to collect our voices, so now I'll let you do all the talking. The following posts are all taken from the feedback threads since the April one, when the game finally gave us the possibilty to see our servers in the loading screens. Since I didn't include posts that appeared in single threads dedicated to this issue, these are just a small sample of what the community has been complaining about.

CHRISPOCALYP5E
Quote:
I'm Australian, I'd prefer to spend a little more time finding a local match to ensure a quality experience
SpectralXIV
Quote:
Placing Us Australians in US West servers and it’s beyond unplayable to with all this lag in every Halo Multiplayer match
Kurtimus
Quote:
i like the new loading screens. know why? because my lowest ping is 52 ms on west US server and when i load into games i am loading into east US servers with a 93 ms ping to the east US. ugh. im gonna buy a net duma router and block all traffic that isnt inside my country
iXCODERED
Quote:
My comment is about registration in the game, i mean the bullets seem to do nothing whereas I got killed so easily, how could it be possible? And now with the new loading screen I know that’s due to central servers or south servers, the reg is pretty bad I’m in Canada and those servers should be fixed.
PIasmaArch3r
Quote:
In addition, I'd like to point out that there's still plenty of connection issues; it seems that 7/10 games hit detection and gameplay are extremely inconsistent and unfair due to the servers problems in Europe. I'd suggest to add an option to manually choose your nearest server, or at least include a ping rule that can be enabled optionally.
PartyPoison209
Quote:
Just a question, why is it I always get an East Coast server when I'm in California. It's just frustrating because they eat my bullets and skip too much.
AbruptMedusa756
Quote:
As an EU player, I still have yet to be matched on an EU server, I always play on East US 2.
WHAT THE COMMUNITY HAS SAID OVER THIS ISSUE, PART 2
Thorulfr
Quote:
Every single game is on US West when I'm in Australia (East Coast). Also each game has at least 2-4 Aussies in it (I recognize the gamertags) as if it's already grouping us a little.I would MUCH prefer to wait a little longer and then be put on the AU Server. It's just a frustrating experience in 130ish ping, even when the connection is stable.
Toepfen
Quote:
Terribly Servers Im from Germany (Europe)
connected always Us East laggy as hell servers....
Imlevelzer0
Quote:
My internet isn't great so playing on NA servers just isn't fun. (I'm from EU) This isn't the game's fault, but ever since the update I have only played one game on European servers, even when playing with EU friends.
giafra
Quote:
But thanks to the new loading screen I am now able to tell that the problems are due to the server location. In particular, when I play on EU servers, the game feels smooth and I play like a beast. The BR feels so good and I am able to even kill at long distances. But when the server is North Central US or East Coast US, the game becomes unplayable.
EU Tripper
Quote:
Make EU players connect to only east US. Hit registration is bad on high ping servers.
HauntingMouse75
Quote:
Why i have to play 95% of my matches at US East server? I have pay 60€ for this game like every american. And i want enjoy the game like they. And you wondering why the game is dead outside America..
DSErrt
Quote:
In my opinion this game could really benefit from a "Server Composer," ala - choose which server(s) you'd rather connect to and which server(s) you'd rather not connect to.
Brandabs
Quote:
I'd like to also request some kind of server option. Or at the least, better decision making on server connection. I'm within a mile of the West coast but often get US East servers/US North/US South... I'm really tired of sniper and BR shots not registering
Drag0n1337
Quote:
Please add a search filter which servers i want to play on.
Or server lists to join lobbys.
Do something please MCC Is unplayable for me 95% US servers after 15sec of searching. I rather wait 2-3min for a Game in my Region.
T U R B O Jazzy
Quote:
I keep connecting to severs far away! What’s going on? Its obviously pointless to play any shooter with a terrible ping when your internet is just fine.
NAG4SE
Quote:
I think this is a population issue more than anything, but I keep getting into games in the East US 2 server (I check it from the map loading screen in the bottom right corner) even though I'm playing from EU. I also play during what I suppose is the time with the highest population (20-23 local time) but the situation doesn't really change. What's puzzling is that I get other people from EU in my games, so it's not like there's none of them.
Sanic Shrugs
Quote:
It's exactly the same thing with me. I'm not sure if it's because the game has a low population in europe, or the lack of servers here, but almost every game I play is in the East US 2 servers too
Tak Tikkz
Quote:
Couldn't have put it any better myself. I'm from Australia and play H3 regularly and it's ridiculous the amount you get put into US west server even with multiple Australians in the game. Playing on 180ms is a big difference in game like halo where every shot counts. Basically every single game I play consist of shots not registering and a lot of blood shots with the sniper rifle.
De Lullo
Quote:
I second this as well. I'm from the EU, and usually can't even find a ranked match during the day. If I do, it's always on the east US 2 server, but I lose either because of lag and/or teammates.
BrawnyGazelle23
Quote:
I’m West coast and I get thrown in south central US and East US all the time because apparently no one plays on the west coast except me.
Alasel
Quote:
What is the point in having european servers if its hardly ever chosen in ranked play. I dont even exaggerate if i would say 99% of all the games I play in H3 Arena is on a US server, and it doesnt matter if the majority of players are from Europe. It’s always US servers and 130+ ms. Dedicated servers has really made the experience worse, atleast for me and I think I speak for alot of european players.
DaekLaw
Quote:
I don't wanna always be connected to an east US Server. I get it, most people in regards to the MCC Population are from america, but even when more european players are in the lobby we always get connected to an US Server.
Datoon RUS
Quote:
Give us possibility manually to choose nearest Region for playing. Personally I dont want to play on "East US2". I am from Russia. I prefer to play on European servers. On American servers my ping is too high. Make the "Server Composer" like Titanfall 2.
I SnIpE U v3 I
Quote:
Im so tired of all ways play on an NA server. Please 343 make it 50/50 chance. The worst thing is when we are 3 people in a lobby and the fourth is an american and he still wins the lottery for some how...
Bawsy74
Quote:
Please let us choose servers. I'm in Scotland, and ALWAYS get put in the east us server. You cannot play this game with a 100+ ping. It's a really bad experience.Its currently 1pm on a Saturday afternoon. Are you guys seriously telling me you can't find me a game of slayer on any game in the 2 European servers?
kragh666
Quote:
I find that especially Halo 1-3 are performing poorly on dedicated servers. It makes sense concerning CE as it was made for local play, but it must be possibly to improve Halo 3. A common problem is that beat downs never connect. And the hit detection is absolutely atrocious. Sometimes I wonder if my Spartan is shooting with powder. I understand that the Legacy Team are working hard on Reach, but the other games simply aren’t in a playable state if you live in the EU.
COSMICHAZMAT24
Quote:
I agree half the time im playing on East US when im in West US
TF Jay x
Quote:
Only half? Better than we get in Europe. Easily >90% of the games are on US East4
Azzurroi
Quote:
I play the game outside of the US, but it always put me in a game in the East US server. For the love of god please fix this. The game is unplayable with a 150+ ms ping. It kills the fun, and it minimize my chances of continuing to play the game in the long run.
Basuuuuu
Quote:
I'm in Europe and 99% of my matches are on a US dedicated server. This is completely pointless and goes 100% against what dedicated servers were implemented for in the first place, might as well go back to P2P. Also I find games almost instantly, but they're never on an EU server: maybe bring back the "good connection" preference from Halo 3
GAGAHOUSE
Quote:
Are we ever going to get an answer as to why non US players are always playing on US servers? Or do you just not give a damn?
Antirety
Quote:
Im from eu and I personally believe host peer to peer host was a way more efficient way for the game to be played (connection was actually better back in 2016/17 MCC) or if you keep the servers make them fair I searched today and I had Snipedrone EU, Hollers EU, Ryrish EU, me EU, soakerz EU, and joesteww EU and it was east US (why) this has happened alot even on worse servers like west coast

VIDEOS MADE BY THE COMMUNITY
If you made a video on the issue, link it and I'll add it to this post!

Kristo Rails:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKTn-APITUU&t=1s

Tommy Kost:
https://youtu.be/c80az2VZHTg
https://youtu.be/GF8cfF3qzwM

IMPORTANT
If you recognize yourself in one of these posts above, please, post again in this thread.
If you complained elsewhere, please, post again in this thread.
If you never complained, but you suffer from this issue, please, post in this thread.
Don't let it die until we get a response!
Nice to see some people put the time and effort, but I've been talking about this issue ever since it appeared. I made a video on it, I posted multiple times here on waypoint, made threads about it and still nothing. Heck, even Halo youtubers and EU pros have complained about it but still nothing. Good effort but I don't know if this will help.
Nice to see some people put the time and effort, but I've been talking about this issues ever since it appeared. I made a video on it, I posted multiple times here on waypoint, made threads about it and still nothing. Heck, even Halo youtubers and EU pros have complained about it but still nothing. Good effort but I don't know if this will help.
I know the chance of receiving a response is like 1%, sadly, but I still wanted to give it a try! :D
The more we insist, the better!
If you want, you can share your video and I'll add it to the OP.
Darth Nint wrote:
Nice to see some people put the time and effort, but I've been talking about this issues ever since it appeared. I made a video on it, I posted multiple times here on waypoint, made threads about it and still nothing. Heck, even Halo youtubers and EU pros have complained about it but still nothing. Good effort but I don't know if this will help.
I know the chance of receiving a response is like 1%, sadly, but I still wanted to give it a try! :D
The more we insist, the better!
If you want, you can share your video and I'll add it to the OP.
Here you go : This is a video I talk about spawns and AFK in this video as well and just a quick warning I never do these type of videos so it was a first for me.
Darth Nint wrote:
Here you go : This is a video I talk about spawns and AFK in this video as well and just a quick warning I never do these type of videos so it was a first for me.
Added to OP!
Nice video, btw: appreciated how you were polite in explaining all the various issues.
Nice constructive post that deserves a response. It seems an issue with the algorithm if even in the US players are not getting matched to their nearest server consistently.
Thanks for posting OP.

Hopefully we will get a response and a fix soon. Cause if this doesn't change, EU players on the PC won't stick with the game for long.
Great post! This is probably the highest suggestion on my list. I like the idea of connecting to matches really quick, but let's be honest I think we can all agree we'd rather sit and wait for a match that is hosted on a great playing server that provides buttery smooth, lag free (in an ideal scenario) gameplay. Majority of the time (I live on the East Coast in the US) I'm thrown into servers from all over the country. Be it South Central, West, ect. My games play best (ESPECIALLY Halo 1 and 2) when the server is on East US 1 and 2, which is why I highly support the idea of a Server Composer. If I'm on anything other than East US I get bullet refunding (it's a plague in Halo 3. Just spray the AR and immediately reload you'll probably lose a couple rounds or gain a couple), constant bloodshots, and bullet sponge enemies. If this gets a fix I'd say the game is pretty much complete in my eyes (of course there's more work to be done - there always is, but really this and a fix for the AFK players is really the only thing left on my list).
I would much rather wait longer and play exclusively on US West.
Thanks for making this very detailed post, anything that can raise awareness on this unsolved problem is very welcome. I fully stand to what I said and you quoted, and with anything else that was said pretty much. I really hope that they can fix this before the MCC starts releasing on PC because a lot of old and new players will come back and I wouldn't want them to find the multiplayer in the current status. The update to 60Hz servers was very nice and the work they did on the games from a more general perspective is outstanding, but the multiplayer is the core experience that will keep them alive and they must fix it.

I'd like to add a recent Reddit post from r/halo which contains complaints about this issue.

Also here's a recent tweet by Postums where he talks about this and says that they know this is a problem and are currently working on it. Now, they are aware of it, I just hope they're gonna fix it in what most players feels like is the best way, while being consistent with what most games do: server selection by the player.
NAG4SE wrote:
Thanks for making this very detailed post, anything that can raise awareness on this unsolved problem is very welcome. I fully stand to what I said and you quoted, and with anything else that was said pretty much. I really hope that they can fix this before the MCC starts releasing on PC because a lot of old and new players will come back and I wouldn't want them to find the multiplayer in the current status. The update to 60Hz servers was very nice and the work they did on the games from a more general perspective is outstanding, but the multiplayer is the core experience that will keep them alive and they must fix it.

I'd like to add a recent Reddit post from r/halo which contains complaints about this issue.

Also here's a recent tweet by Postums where he talks about this and says that they know this is a problem and are currently working on it. Now, they are aware of it, I just hope they're gonna fix it in what most players feels like is the best way, while being consistent with what most games do: server selection by the player.
I wasn't aware of an official response! I'll add it to OP right now, thank you!
I wish it was on Waypoint, instead of Twitter, though: what's the point of these Feedback threads if I have to search for the studio's responses to our concerns outside of this website? But yeah, just a nitpick of mine, I won't complain further about that! :D

What I truly dislike, however, is the term "backlog": I realize that Postums' intentions were not to be dismissive, but it's been almost a year since the big MCC update, and this isn't some secondary feature like the Custom Game Browser where it's perfectly acceptable that it has been delayed due to more urgent matters. Ensuring that the whole community have good connections when playing online should have been a top priority above everything else in these past months, so to not drive away a lot of EU/AU players, not something that they had to acknowledge just now.
Now of course it's too late to work on their solution in a timely manner because they are way too busy with the PC port! :/
NAG4SE wrote:

Huh. Well now I feel half stupid for everything I said, they actually did listen to us, that's awesome. That's all I wanted to see, a reply, an answer, a blog post, anything from them or the mods from Waypoint telling us they are working on it.
Darth Nint wrote:
I wish it was on Waypoint, instead of Twitter, though: what's the point of these Feedback threads if I have to search for the studio's responses to our concerns outside of this website? But yeah, just a nitpick of mine, I won't complain further about that! :D

What I truly dislike, however, is the term "backlog": I realize that Postums' intentions were not to be dismissive, but it's been almost a year since the big MCC update, and this isn't some secondary feature like the Custom Game Browser where it's perfectly acceptable that it has been delayed due to more urgent matters. Ensuring that the whole community have good connections when playing online should have been a top priority above everything else in these past months, so to not drive away a lot of EU/AU players, not something that they had to acknowledge just now.
Now of course it's too late to work on their solution in a timely manner because they are way too busy with the PC port! :/
I wouldn't have know either if this tweet didn't randomly pop on my timeline for some reason actually. I understand where you're coming from, but sometimes devs avoid giving out this kind of information for different reasons like it could take a while to fix, they don't have things set in stone yet, etc. so they just wait for a while until they have more definite infos and/or a date. Since Postums talked about this I expect news in the coming months.

The problem is big enough: players stop playing because of ping->less people on that server->more players get into far away servers->back to first step. It's basically a loop that feeds itself and the population number suffers from it. Like I said, I hope they fix this for both platforms by the MCC debut on PC cause that would really make the launch and everything so much better.
Darth Nint wrote:
NAG4SE wrote:

first of all: i think it's a good thing that you made the thread and it's also great that 343i is seemingly at least thinking about the issue. like many people i connect most of the time to US east 2, and i wouldn't mind a bit longer search times if it meant connecting more often to european servers. i also wouldn't mind the occasional connection to US east 2, but it shouldn't be the server i connect to most of the time.

one small thing i want to add: you updated the OG post with the twitter message (which is really good), but you put it at the end of the secound OG post (i guess because of limited charachters per post)... i would put it in the first and near the begining, bc it's the latest information and it may be overlooked by people who only read the first post and who are not interessted in the quotes of other people you put in in the secound and therefor maybe scroll over the post.
NAG4SE wrote:
I wouldn't have know either if this tweet didn't randomly pop on my timeline for some reason actually. I understand where you're coming from, but sometimes devs avoid giving out this kind of information for different reasons like it could take a while to fix, they don't have things set in stone yet, etc. so they just wait for a while until they have more definite infos and/or a date. Since Postums talked about this I expect news in the coming months.
Fair enough! Let's hope for the best!
And, yeah, your analysis on how the game keeps bleeding its playerbase in a never-ending circle is spot on!

WSerg wrote:
one small thing i want to add: you updated the OG post with the twitter message (which is really good), but you put it at the end of the secound OG post (i guess because of limited charachters per post)... i would put it in the first and near the begining, bc it's the latest information and it may be overlooked by people who only read the first post and who are not interessted in the quotes of other people you put in in the secound and therefor maybe scroll over the post.
You are definitely right, good point! :D
I edited the first post!
Wow, great effort compiling this Darth!
Would love to see some official response on this issue from 343i.

I recently (Monday) found a few games on MCC on the Aussie servers and it was glorious, but played last night and didn't find a single one despite some games featuring 4-5 Aussies, so this is top of mind for me as well.

Some thoughts on this for what it's worth:
The Problem
343 are between a rock and a hard place with this issue, the way the search options work technically offer selection choice in Halo 5 already for example, but the reality is, it doesn't work there.
In a low population region with a bunch of different playlists and games, it's an FPS that plays best on a local low ping connection that has a huge skill range and high skill ceiling.
If you:
  • Pare the playlists down to 1-2 like most other games nowerdays, everyone will complain that they can no longer play Halo how they have always done it, and it's literally a collection, not really fair to pare the playlists down too much. Mixtape matchmaking is genius for social though and I think has had an incredible impact on regional playability.
  • Lock players into playing on their local servers, people will complain that they can't find games or that there are too many low/high skill players in their games.
  • Add search options, most people just search expanded in order to get matches and no one ever plays on local servers anyway. [This is where H5 is currently at]
Potential Fix
I think the best approach for MCC is probably to test (I suspect 343i already have data on this) forcing ALL players at least 20-30 seconds to find a local server before it looks elsewhere. Testing would be required to see whether this actually has an effective impact or just makes everyone wait 20s longer for no reason. I think there should also the option to only play on your local server if you wish. Basically, turn that page in the settings into a checklist of regions you're willing to play in.

Idea
I think there's also room for a fix that would be much harder to implement - basically a 'pre-selector' of sorts. Chances are most regional players are going to be in games already when you start searching, meaning if there's a ping limit, you'll never find them until the game ends, and it's not guaranteed that you'll get into that game anyway. So some kind of lobby selector that could look at people searching AND people already in games to start pairing them up for best ping could work wonders.

Other games
The approach taken by other games nowerdays also provides good context / ideas:
  • When you get the game for the first time, it by default selects your local server, but it CAN be changed in the settings. It's important this is not in the UI every time you search or people will just go expanded. See, Splitgate Arena, Heroes of the Storm, League of Legends, Apex Legends, etc for how this looks.
  • A smaller number of playlists for lower population regions, with a schedule to allow limited time playlists during peak periods (4pm-9pm) similar to how Draft Pick is only available on League of Legends in Australia during peak times.
Other games aren't as huge a collection as the MCC though so I understand it is a particular challenge to tackle this issue in the MCC.
Thanks for putting this together. It's really a shame that we've come so far with MCC in the past year just to then fail at such a simple task as server selection. No game in this collection has a solid enough netcode to allow for cross-world ping levels and if this keeps up then people are gonna have 1) less fun and 2) quit the game for good, leading to smaller player pool, leading to even more issues with high pings.
oh hey I'm in this!

Lately I've been a bit luckier when it comes to server ping, but I still get East US 2 almost every time, It's sometimes pretty ridiculous. There was this one time where we were *eleven* French players in the lobby (me and seven friends and three guys in the other team whose gamertags I'd recognized) and we still got East US 2. It's like there are three Europe servers and it's silly imo. At the very least, have more EU servers so stuff like doesn't happen. I'm sure it's also very likely there aren't that many EU players out there compared to NA players, but in this particular case it just doesn't make sense
Thank you for posting this useful information. It's a topic that has been ignored for months and it's more important than ever to solve it due to the huge gaming experience issues it produces. Hopefully your effort will make this visible for the developers so that they can fix it as soon as possible.

Personally, my only concern about MCC right now is the connection problems because of the badly implemented servers selection (as you stated, East US 2 always comes up even with a majority of European/Australian/other players). Other than that, the Composer and every single improvement has been incredibly good, with the exception of the fall of Ranked.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3