Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

[Locked] The person who thought of the MCC should be fired!

OP KilledHOT

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
First games always have bugs and which game are you talking about with the magnum?
I can some what agree but mostly because had they just made H2A odds are we would have had a working game from the start and it wouldn't be such a diet version of a game. There would more likely be more people playing if the game was fully functional at launch. They bit off more than they could chew with MCC. But at least it is mostly fully functional now. It's great now but just took them too long to get it where it should have been. Maybe infinite will breathe more life into the franchise but I am not all that hopeful considering the track record of Halo so far on Xbox one.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
Spoiler:
Show
First games always have bugs and which game are you talking about with the magnum?
Halo 5
KilledHOT wrote:
There isn't a true Halo fan in the world who gives even a handful of snot about "Halo 5".
H5 arena was better than Reach MP and H4 MP by a long shot.
Spoiler:
Show
Halo: The Master Chief Collection was, and still is, an ambitious project, but nobody should be fired over it. That's being a bit too dramatic.
Well to be honest, there was some serious potential to bring together more fans than ever. Though, by having more gameplay options, yes, there would have been more population division. Had the launch been successful there might have been a chance that the overall fan base population may have supported so many options. The fact that MCC exists isn’t a mistake, it was how it was delivered.

(below is a lot of historical/contextual information, but very relevant to understanding MCC’s struggles and perceptions of the old community as a result)

Man, there was so much hype from all Halo fans back when MCC was announced, and even people who had never played halo before that could get the core experience in one package, plus it was a huge selling point of the Xbox One console. Like, there was a ton of hype. The old community was ready to dive in headfirst and the passion was reignited. It brought back loads of people and it was a super exciting time.

Obviously launch was a mess and the delivery was poorly executed (quite an understatement if you consider how broken the game was then). What we got about 2.5-3 years into the MCC’s lifespan is what fans were and any normal customer would have expected at the start. This was before big companies started “normalizing” the whole “games as a service model” because they can’t or don’t release a full/functioning game up front so they try to say it’s ok because they’re supporting it and it’ll get better if we wait. So this was a pretty big shock with lasting ramifications. I mean depending on what kind of router you had, matchmaking barely worked until the composer search thing or shortly prior to it, which was what like a year-year and a half ago? I’m grateful it works now, but none of that is good.

What really crippled the hope and the love from a majority of the fanbase up to that point wasn’t just that the game was a broken mess (which was a major part of it), but I believe it was also the cultural shift that 343 (compared to how Bungie used to handle things) basically went silent mode and did not acknowledge/communicate anything about the state of MCC (even with a few minor updates) until the major overhaul the game got a few years in.

One of the things the made the old community tight-knit even though it did have some toxicity issues, was that Bungie was actively engaged with the community that helped facilitate a strong sense of community. Whereas 343 was really on top of this until we have waypoint as we know it. People don’t often pinpoint this shift, but I think it’s one of the big things that explains why so many people look back to Bungie days fondly and separate the Bungie era from 343 era.

With MCC there was no apology (except fixing it eventually), little to nothing said as to what to expect of what their vision was or that they were even really going to work on it and fix it. And then by not saying much, if anything at all, there was nothing for fans to go on. It was like they abandoned support for the game, which was very painful for many to see happening with something so beloved.

Now granted, I think much of this was because they put most of their resources on Halo 5 (that came out the following year) so as to not repeat their mistakes and not make waves by saying that they were going to put the energy in to H5 first and then come back to MCC. Which makes sense, but I think how they handled the “support” is what broke a lot of people who were sticking through the poor launch. I can only imagine the outrage if they came out and said it’ll be a couple, maybe a few years before we fix this game you just bought.

Anyways, if the game was that broken they should have just waited, but then that would have pushed out H5 because releasing MCC at the same time as H5 really would have been corporate cannibalism. It was probably a difficult to have to send out the game in that state, but I think it was the messy, prolonged experience/process that killed the enthusiasm for many fans. And of course with most games as time passes online population does decrease for all sorts of reasons that may have nothing to do with the game. Halo isn’t immune to it.

Looking towards the future, I hope Halo Infinite turns out well and then we can see what happens after that.
My above comment is largely in response to MCC, but in regard to Halo 5, I don’t think it was really MCC’s fault, edit- at least definitely not entirely.

The Halo 5 marketing was absolutely misleading. Marketing did an awesome job within their own right, because I love the H5 launch trailer and the whole hunt the truth thing. But they also didn’t do their job because it does not reflect what the game is really about, it’s almost bait and switch. So yeah that was kinda a fail before anyone had even played the game.

However, I think one of Halo 5’s biggest problems (especially in regard to story) is that since Halo 4, Halo was no longer just a games series, though yes I know there were books prior to that time. Halo became a brand.

Somewhere along the line, they forgot that that Halo was a game first and that the core audience were the gamers. One of Halo 5’s glaring issues is that you have to have read books and comics to really understand and appreciate what’s going on in the game. I can’t count how many people have said “it talks about “__” in the books”, “just read the books”, etc. I’m sorry, but not everyone reads the books, comics, see the movies/shows, etc.

I don’t know about you guys, but that is a huge red flag. That’s like making a Star Wars movie, but it would only make sense if you’ve read some of the books. Objectively, that would be a terrible movie.

It’s the same with a video game, ie. Halo 5. Hopefully 343/Microsoft has learned from this and don’t make the same mistake in the future, but they certainly haven’t made it easy for themselves to pull themselves out of that one.
This is the definition of a hot take, and I dig it.

But - I don't think the person who thought of the idea should be fired, because it's a great idea. I just think the implementation was really, really rough - and that I don't think they understood how massive the undertaking really would be.

To address some of your points - I would say it's WILDLY inaccurate to say that the MCC took away from Halo 5's development. Don't you remember all the "free" DLC packages that came with Halo 5? Sure, they're basically all based on the controversial and predatory microtransaction random loot box system, but to say nothing major was added is almost hilarious.

And sure - the hit registration in some MCC titles on Xbox isn't the best. But you know what? I'm not here to play MLG MCC. These are games 8-19 years old. I'm just happy to be able to get into some of my favorite old school games and maps and still be able to match people online. That's a really cool feature that very few gamers can say they can do right now.
KilledHOT wrote:
There isn't a true Halo fan in the world who gives even a handful of snot about "Halo 5".
This is known as gatekeeping and isn't true at all.
However, I think one of Halo 5’s biggest problems (especially in regard to story) is that since Halo 4, Halo was no longer just a games series, though yes I know there were books prior to that time. Halo became a brand.

Somewhere along the line, they forgot that that Halo was a game first and that the core audience were the gamers. One of Halo 5’s glaring issues is that you have to have read books and comics to really understand and appreciate what’s going on in the game. I can’t count how many people have said “it talks about “__” in the books”, “just read the books”, etc. I’m sorry, but not everyone reads the books, comics, see the movies/shows, etc.

I don’t know about you guys, but that is a huge red flag. That’s like making a Star Wars movie, but it would only make sense if you’ve read some of the books. Objectively, that would be a terrible movie.
I get this take, but Halo 4 was essentially way more external media driven than Halo 5, and Halo 4 was an amazing campaign. I think there can be a balance that can be struck between being a brand and a game series. The external media wasn't Halo 5's problem, it was a bad story.

Also, you're literally talking about "Rise of Skywalker" there. A lot of it only made sense if you read the books and other associated media.