Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

The Reason Halo: TMMC Was Very Broken At Launch

OP Nightcaster460

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
They used PC ports of Halo Combat Evolved made by Gearbox and Halo 2 made by Hired Gun, instead of using the original Xbox versions. See, it's said that the PC versions of those games had issues. As for the other games, their optimizations weren't finished.
I don't think that's the reason why they had issues.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
I don't think that's the reason why they had issues.
Really?
The problem with that theory is: even if the PC ports of Halo 1 and 2 had issues, they were still functional. MCC’s 2014 launch issues made every game in the collection largely unplayable; these issues were more than just carry overs from the original PC ports.
Could have been... From what I read and have vague recollections of was that they couldn't handle all that needed to be done in the short time frame so they sub contracted out quite a bit of the work to other studios. Then when they tried putting it all together they didn't quite jive and worse they didn't play test or QC at all really and just released the game.
Chimera30 wrote:
The problem with that theory is: even if the PC ports of Halo 1 and 2 had issues, they were still functional. MCC’s 2014 launch issues made every game in the collection largely unplayable; these issues were more than just carry overs from the original PC ports.
Aaah. Were the campaigns playable or was the issue only for online multiplayer?
Chimera30 wrote:
I'm pretty sure the campaigns were playable but the multiplayer had massive issues, from what I remember at launch.
Hunter2747 wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
I'm pretty sure the campaigns were playable but the multiplayer had massive issues, from what I remember at launch.
The campaigns were hit or miss. If you tried playing Halo 1 or 2 on Xbox Live Co-op, there was a good chance your partner would desync. The MCC was a horribly rushed product.
Hunter2747 wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
MP still has issues. Takes a godawful long time for a match to be found and players linked up to the servers and the game to even start.used to be that it would take less than a minute to start a game in the original halo 2 game on the original Xbox. On halo 5? Very little time is spent waiting for the game to start up online as the coding for that is superior to what MCC has.
MP still has issues. Takes a godawful long time for a match to be found and players linked up to the servers and the game to even start.used to be that it would take less than a minute to start a game in the original halo 2 game on the original Xbox. On halo 5? Very little time is spent waiting for the game to start up online as the coding for that is superior to what MCC has.
That's most likely a population issue. If there are people in the playlist, it will find a game almost instantly. H5 also has population issues and it can take several minutes to find a game or you may not even find one in some playlists.

For the OP, just going off of memory so it might not be completely accurate, but different companies made code for the games and the code didn't mesh with each other since each company was doing their own thing, so it was a jumbled mess that had to be sorted out and fixed. They also didn't externally test the multiplayer so there were problems with the servers and connecting people to games which they would've discovered if they externally tested it.
Hunter2747 wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
The campaigns were hit or miss. If you tried playing Halo 1 or 2 on Xbox Live Co-op, there was a good chance your partner would desync. The MCC was a horribly rushed product.
I didn't play any co-op online at that time, only split screen.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
That's most likely a population issue. If there are people in the playlist, it will find a game almost instantly. H5 also has population issues and it can take several minutes to find a game or you may not even find one in some playlists.

For the OP, just going off of memory so it might not be completely accurate, but different companies made code for the games and the code didn't mesh with each other since each company was doing their own thing, so it was a jumbled mess that had to be sorted out and fixed. They also didn't externally test the multiplayer so there were problems with the servers and connecting people to games which they would've discovered if they externally tested it.
Unfortunately the time to get into a game hasn’t improved much since the game came out. If I’m lucky I’ll get in a game in a little over a minute. Otherwise it’s a 3 minute wait. Population isn’t the cause as one of you guys said earlier the coding for all 4 games were mishmashed into a hot mess that ruined online play when it came out. I haven’t seen any improvement since then. Well there’s been SOME inprovement but not enough to get us into games within seconds like halo 5 does.
Population isn’t the cause as one of you guys said earlier the coding for all 4 games were mishmashed into a hot mess that ruined online play when it came out. I haven’t seen any improvement since then. Well there’s been SOME inprovement but not enough to get us into games within seconds like halo 5 does.
I literally got a game earlier tonight in less than 5 seconds so your hot mess theory isn't true for the current MCC. If there are people searching in a playlist who are matchable together, it will find a game fairly quickly. The only playlist that I play where I can get a game in seconds in H5 is Firefight or a JIP game. The majority of the time it's usually a 2-3 minute wait or longer even in Super Fiesta.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Population isn’t the cause as one of you guys said earlier the coding for all 4 games were mishmashed into a hot mess that ruined online play when it came out. I haven’t seen any improvement since then. Well there’s been SOME inprovement but not enough to get us into games within seconds like halo 5 does.
I literally got a game earlier tonight in less than 5 seconds so your hot mess theory isn't true for the current MCC. If there are people searching in a playlist who are matchable together, it will find a game fairly quickly. The only playlist that I play where I can get a game in seconds in H5 is Firefight or a JIP game. The majority of the time it's usually a 2-3 minute wait or longer even in Super Fiesta.
In what playlist you find game in 5 seconds?
In what playlist you find game in 5 seconds?
It was Team Slayer in H4, but I've also had quick searches in H2A and sometimes BTB will go quick as well. I'm not saying that MCC doesn't have long wait times, but you can find games quickly in it.
It's too difficult for us on the outside (and maybe even some of the 343 engineers themselves) to tell whether or not using the PC ports made the release better or worse. Are the PC ports worse than the original Xbox versions? Sure, but perhaps the architecture of the PC ports were such that they allowed much easier integration into MCC (which is what I suspect). Maybe they saved time using the PC ports, and the time they would have spent integrating the original versions would have given them less time to work on stability and made the launch even worse.

I don't know of course, just spitballing. Now that 343 has made things way better, I imagine that there's no going back. Trying to start fresh with the Xbox versions would probably result in ungodly amounts of lost work that has to be redone, and for every one thing it does better, would probably make 10 other things worse. My understanding of their current approach is that they're trying to get the existing MCC versions of the various engines close to the Xbox versions. I think that's the right approach. Imitate and reimplement until you reach something approaching parity with the originals, and 95% of the players will be 95% happy, which is a win.
The PC ports definitely brought over various problems associated with them, and some were even magnified in MCC, but they definitely aren't the only or the main reason. Porting so many games of different time periods from different systems into one definitely contributed, and I'm sure spending so much time on Halo 2 Anniversary's multiplayer features didn't help in terms of time either.
The Catalyst was the the OG Xbox One and Don Mattrick.
It's too difficult for us on the outside (and maybe even some of the 343 engineers themselves) to tell whether or not using the PC ports made the release better or worse. Are the PC ports worse than the original Xbox versions? Sure, but perhaps the architecture of the PC ports were such that they allowed much easier integration into MCC (which is what I suspect). Maybe they saved time using the PC ports, and the time they would have spent integrating the original versions would have given them less time to work on stability and made the launch even worse.

I don't know of course, just spitballing. Now that 343 has made things way better, I imagine that there's no going back. Trying to start fresh with the Xbox versions would probably result in ungodly amounts of lost work that has to be redone, and for every one thing it does better, would probably make 10 other things worse. My understanding of their current approach is that they're trying to get the existing MCC versions of the various engines close to the Xbox versions. I think that's the right approach. Imitate and reimplement until you reach something approaching parity with the originals, and 95% of the players will be 95% happy, which is a win.
The pc port for Halo CE was messed up. Gearbox did something when they were making the game to run on pc and the textures didn't come out right. If you shine a flashlight at the ground, walls, and roof then it should get the textures back. They pc port also didn't have reacting jackel shields and the pistol had a small differance in multiplayer to how many shots it needed to kill.

The pc port for Halo CE was messed up. Gearbox did something when they were making the game to run on pc and the textures didn't come out right. If you shine a flashlight at the ground, walls, and roof then it should get the textures back. They pc port also didn't have reacting jackel shields and the pistol had a small differance in multiplayer to how many shots it needed to kill.
Yes, and those are just a few of probably hundreds of factors that go into deciding whether using that port or not was ultimately a good idea.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2