Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

The Reason Halo: TMMC Was Very Broken At Launch

OP Nightcaster460

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
It's too difficult for us on the outside (and maybe even some of the 343 engineers themselves) to tell whether or not using the PC ports made the release better or worse. Are the PC ports worse than the original Xbox versions? Sure, but perhaps the architecture of the PC ports were such that they allowed much easier integration into MCC (which is what I suspect). Maybe they saved time using the PC ports, and the time they would have spent integrating the original versions would have given them less time to work on stability and made the launch even worse.

I don't know of course, just spitballing. Now that 343 has made things way better, I imagine that there's no going back. Trying to start fresh with the Xbox versions would probably result in ungodly amounts of lost work that has to be redone, and for every one thing it does better, would probably make 10 other things worse. My understanding of their current approach is that they're trying to get the existing MCC versions of the various engines close to the Xbox versions. I think that's the right approach. Imitate and reimplement until you reach something approaching parity with the originals, and 95% of the players will be 95% happy, which is a win.
The pc port for Halo CE was messed up. Gearbox did something when they were making the game to run on pc and the textures didn't come out right. If you shine a flashlight at the ground, walls, and roof then it should get the textures back. They pc port also didn't have reacting jackel shields and the pistol had a small differance in multiplayer to how many shots it needed to kill.
The Magnum was altered?
It's too difficult for us on the outside (and maybe even some of the 343 engineers themselves) to tell whether or not using the PC ports made the release better or worse. Are the PC ports worse than the original Xbox versions? Sure, but perhaps the architecture of the PC ports were such that they allowed much easier integration into MCC (which is what I suspect). Maybe they saved time using the PC ports, and the time they would have spent integrating the original versions would have given them less time to work on stability and made the launch even worse.

I don't know of course, just spitballing. Now that 343 has made things way better, I imagine that there's no going back. Trying to start fresh with the Xbox versions would probably result in ungodly amounts of lost work that has to be redone, and for every one thing it does better, would probably make 10 other things worse. My understanding of their current approach is that they're trying to get the existing MCC versions of the various engines close to the Xbox versions. I think that's the right approach. Imitate and reimplement until you reach something approaching parity with the originals, and 95% of the players will be 95% happy, which is a win.
The pc port for Halo CE was messed up. Gearbox did something when they were making the game to run on pc and the textures didn't come out right. If you shine a flashlight at the ground, walls, and roof then it should get the textures back. They pc port also didn't have reacting jackel shields and the pistol had a small differance in multiplayer to how many shots it needed to kill.
The Magnum was altered?
Didn't you notice in CE matchmaking that you would get killed instantly if you got three Magnum shots to the head? Gearbox forgot to alter the weapons for MP like Bungie did in the original Xbox version, so the Magnum was like its campaign counterpart (massively overpowered), and now there's a huge Magnum meta on CE MP on MCC.
Hunter2747 wrote:

The Magnum was altered?
Didn't you notice in CE matchmaking that you would get killed instantly if you got three Magnum shots to the head? Gearbox forgot to alter the weapons for MP like Bungie did in the original Xbox version, so the Magnum was like its campaign counterpart (massively overpowered), and now there's a huge Magnum meta on CE MP on MCC.
I didn't know the Magnum was altered for multiplayer on the Xbox.
Hunter2747 wrote:

The Magnum was altered?
I'm not sure where Hunter2747 is getting that information, but it's simply not true. The Halo 1 pistol has always been a 3sk if the third shot is delivered to the head, on every platform. Halo 1 multiplayer wasn't balanced on the original Xbox because it was a last-minute addition; they didn't have much time to do any fine-tuning.
Hunter2747 wrote:

The Magnum was altered?
I'm not sure where Hunter2747 is getting that information, but it's simply not true. The Halo 1 pistol has always been a 3sk if the third shot is delivered to the head, on every platform. Halo 1 multiplayer wasn't balanced on the original Xbox because it was a last-minute addition; they didn't have much time to do any fine-tuning.
I'm pretty sure Bungie altered multiple weapons for MP.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Edit: I decided to make a new thread
I don't think MCC using the PC port of Halo: CE and 2 were the major factors on why MCC was broken on launch. While yes, the PC ports are inferior to the OG Xbox ports; I don't think a lot of the complaints about the MCC were directed to them using inferior ports.

If I remember correctly, people were mainly dissatisfied with the product due to largely that you cannot connect to a match without getting kicked on the start, ridiculously long waiting times, and if you do manage to get into a match - it's either the match is very laggy and/or you have an imbalance amount of players from both teams. If we don't mention about the multiplayer issues; the game suffered from crashes, randomly freezing all of a sudden, UI suddenly looking unfinished, and the de-syncing issue if you play campaign co-op via Xbox Live.
Hunter2747 wrote:

The Magnum was altered?
No, the Magnum was not altered for multiplayer in the OG Xbox port. It was always 3 shots to the head for a clean kill.

Here's a montage from 2006 to prove the Magnum was always a 3 shot kill.
I don't think MCC using the PC port of Halo: CE and 2 were the major factors on why MCC was broken on launch. While yes, the PC ports are inferior to the OG Xbox ports; I don't think a lot of the complaints about the MCC were directed to them using inferior ports.

If I remember correctly, people were mainly dissatisfied with the product due to largely that you cannot connect to a match without getting kicked on the start, ridiculously long waiting times, and if you do manage to get into a match - it's either the match is very laggy and/or you have an imbalance amount of players from both teams. If we don't mention about the multiplayer issues; the game suffered from crashes, randomly freezing all of a sudden, UI suddenly looking unfinished, and the de-syncing issue if you play campaign co-op via Xbox Live.
Its true that on launch night, you couldn't even get a game to see how the game even played. But after the initial updates that allowed you to actually get into a game, it was immediately apparent that they had used the PC port for H1, and that it was horribly, horribly broken.

People who love H1 are still extremely dissatisfied with the use of the PC port. 343 has continuously doubled down on using it, despite it being totally useless for any semblance of legitimate play. They remain unable to even come close to fixing it, yet still insistent on using it. They were warned well before launch about the issues with using the port, but they continued to do so anyway. They are now aware of how unfixable, how unusable and horrid the port is, yet, they continue to use it instead of even consider OG. Don't forget their promises from before launch of "just how you remember it." The fanbase is looking back saying "why did you guys use that port in 2014?" and in 2024 we will be saying "why did you guys stick with that port in 2019?"
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2