Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

The unofficial "Let us choose our servers" thread.

OP Darth Nint

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
I don't recall myself complaining about this topic specifically, although it's clearly the worst problem out there. It's a shame that you can't enjoy this game, because whenever you search for players you end up in East US 2 rather than a European server, which results in your guns being extremely innacurate and slow.

The skill matching was partially fixed and I'm glad for that, which makes me think that if we all post our thoughts here together, the server choice will be addressed as well.
First of all, thanks Darth Nint for creating this useful thread. As a premise, I recall that you're from Italy like me; feel free to add me on XBL so maybe we could chat in our native languages and I can explain better the details regarding this hit reg/server/lag issues. Then I would suggest you to watch and list in your post these videos, since you explicitly asked for any video that could highlight and explain our problem:

https://youtu.be/c80az2VZHTg
In the video linked above, Tommy Kost uses a sniffer software to track the packages sent and received, and he is able to provide a proof about the infamous "relay-servers". Basically he shows that most of the time you are not directly connected to the server listed in the pre-game loading screen, but you get forwarded to another relay server that then takes you to the main one. The problem is the allocation, since most of the time the use of the relay server provides no benefit at all, but a clear malus. The video then, at the end, perfectly shows how the answer "Halo 3's BR is projectile based so you gotta lead your shots" 343 gives everytime is totally wrong, since he provides a clip of the original Halo 3 where he doesn't lead his shots and yet he still gets a 4shot registered. He even quotes a tweet from Snip3down where he says that the problem exists even in custom games on LAN. I personally have never been able to land a 4shot whatsoever in MCC, while if I run the original Halo 3 and play some Social Slayer, I 4shot most of the time.

Then, the video below proves how relay servers are a thing (and a flawed one), and it was not commented by 343 even when it was showed to them on twitter:
https://youtu.be/GF8cfF3qzwM

Endedthis premise, I'll spend again some words since you asked us to comment the thread providing our PoVs, but I can just remark all that I always said on the monthly feedback threads since November, in which I always showed clips of the horrendous hit reg that we as EU players are doomed to experience.
The major problem in all of this are the BR challenges: I love competitive Halo 3 and I love the BR battles. When I get matched to a US server, it doesn't matter how good I strafe or aim, I am generally (99% of the time) NEVER been able to win the challenge whatsoever. Never. It literally feels like my shots do less damage than the opponent ones. Sometimes the hit reg is so bad that the shots randomly stop to be registered (enemy shields do not "illuminate"). How can I win a BR battle at high levels if I am in such a disadvantage? At long ranges, the BR is literally useless for me, while on the original Halo 3 I was able to kill people in the Valhalla bunkers from the middle of the map! I then recently literally stopped engaging enemies in competitive modes because I could never win a BR battle on US servers, I drastically changed my playstyle against my will and I hate this.
Then, the other issues are, as you listed, the ghost melees (I press the button to punch and I get smashed instead), the double-nade throw, the broken spawns (I have some very funny clips about this), and the "loop" of the respawn animation.
All the clips I captured can be found in the past Feedback threads or through search in my profile clips.

It's a shame we are experiencing these problems 4 years after the launch of the game. It's literally one year before Infinite's launch. I payed the game at full price back in the days and 4 years later I still am not experiencing it in the way I should. This gives me impression that 343 are "noobs" at making games. The "love for halo" is not enough to make you a good game developer, and the funniest part is that we are getting called as "entitled" when we point out the numeorus fails 343 had while making halo since they inherited Reach from Bungie. What happened in the first years of MCC is mind blowing, I literally ask myself why Microsoft didn't fire all the 343i studio.
Hello, is there an option to choose only servers in our region (for my part, Europe) because the balls that kill opponents 4 years later is annoying! 343 industries, it would be nice to add this options! really! thanking you
(sorry for the double post)

....Because I am in France and I fall on servers US East 2 ..... all the time! So my opponents are always one step ahead of me and when I shoot them, it kills them 10 years later.
I check in "movie mode", with the sniper for example, the ball touches my opponent, and there is a good second that passes before my opponent falls ... And it really starts to annoy me!
I'm tired of words and want actions from 343. 'We are aware of it' a while ago doesn't cut it. I'm fed up with having to play every game on a US server. They don't give a toss like they didn't give a toss when they sold you a broken product.
GAGAHOUSE wrote:
I'm tired of words and want actions from 343. 'We are aware of it' a while ago doesn't cut it. I'm fed up with having to play every game on a US server. They don't give a toss like they didn't give a toss when they sold you a broken product.
Agreed. I know what I said in a previous post but this is getting ridiculous. Having to play every single time on East US 2 is really getting annoying. Having to lose to other people just because they are playing on their server is stupid, it kills the EU community and if someone disagrees with me on this you have no idea what's it like. I'm not seeing any changes and if this doesn't take priority over other things, it will kill the EU community and probably the Australian community. I don't care anymore what 343 says, what other admin or mods say, me and I'm certain multiple other people are done with this. We want to see things change not just talk about them.

Someone once asked if 343 is incompetent to come up with fixes and bring MCC to PC. I took 343's side then but now I'm starting to doubt them as well. Why? Because the server issue has been talked about for a very long time and we still don't see any changes. The change to 60hz doesn't really help if I still have to play on a foreign server.
Edited the OP with the newest videos and sent a PM to Postums with a link to this thread, hoping he will acknowledge us and share some details on the solution he mentioned in his tweet!
Let's keep our fingers crossed! :)

@giafra: I can't even remember the last time I actually played in a group online, maybe it was 7 years ago. Since then I always searched solo, lone wolf-style: all this to say that I gave away my mic because I never used it! :D
Besides, I rarely play online these days sadly...
Agree. On some days east uS connection is fine, on other days it’s terrible. I want to decide by myself if I wait longer for a game if the connection on east US is bad on that day.

would be an awesome feature!
Our faith has been rewarded!

Postums replied to me and finally confirmed once for all that we'll be able to choose our servers in the future!
Quote:
Hey Darth,
There are local servers for players outside of NA. We have servers located around the glob. The problem is, that in order to find matches on populated servers, it often places people onto the NA servers as there were not enough to start a match. We have talked about this several times publicly and are looking into various solutions so players can inevitably force play on only local regional servers.
Cheers,
Postums
No details about the timeline, though: hope we won't need to wait for too long! D:

Proof: https://imgur.com/U4AwQKm
Darth Nint wrote:
Our faith has been rewarded!

Postums replied to me and finally confirmed once for all that we'll be able to choose our servers in the future!
Quote:
Hey Darth,
There are local servers for players outside of NA. We have servers located around the glob. The problem is, that in order to find matches on populated servers, it often places people onto the NA servers as there were not enough to start a match. We have talked about this several times publicly and are looking into various solutions so players can inevitably force play on only local regional servers.
Cheers,
Postums
No details about the timeline, though: hope we won't need to wait for too long! D:

Proof: https://imgur.com/U4AwQKm
LMFAO, literally.
It's NOT "often" it's "ALWAYS" that we're put in a US server. Literally 99% of the time. Are they still really defending their server system and their server-selection algorithm after all the evidence we already threw out?
Well, I cringe, but I don't really care as long as the problem gets fixed, just like the modern aim stuff for which they still believe, even after the update, that nothing was changed on Classic Aim from the original games...
Also, why should we "find a match on populated servers" if there are enough people to play in a not populated one not-US based? I think I misinterpreted this one.
Then, I don't think he explicitly said that we'll have the opportunity to choose the server. I just interpreted that everybody after this future update should play on the 'right' server.
giafra wrote:
Then, I don't think he explicitly said that we'll have the opportunity to choose the server. I just interpreted that everybody after this future update should play on the 'right' server.
I took it as the ability to choose our own local server, so that people in Italy can play in the West Europe server, folks in the UK in the North Europe server and so on.
It isn't certainly the ability to choose any server: Postums himself confirmed that in a second PM.
Anyway I sent him another message to ask him if I got it right, and then I'll edit the OP with what he says, so that there won't be further misunderstandings!

I agree with you that I still find hard to believe this whole "you can't play on your local server because most of the time there isn't anyone to play with", though: but if the fix they are working on will solve this, I won't care anymore, just like you've said! I just want to play fair games, nothing else matters at this point!
Darth Nint wrote:
giafra wrote:
I took it as the ability to choose our own local server, so that people in Italy can play in the West Europe server, folks in the UK in the North Europe server and so on.
It isn't certainly the ability to choose any server: Postums himself confirmed that in a second PM.
Anyway I sent him another message to ask him if I got it right, and then I'll edit the OP with what he says, so that there won't be further misunderstandings!

I agree with you that I still find hard to believe this whole "you can't play on your local server because most of the time there isn't anyone to play with", though: but if the fix they are working on will solve this, I won't care anymore, just like you've said! I just want to play fair games, nothing else matters at this point!
Are they going to implement this feature when Infinite comes out? Asking for a friend
I came back to the thread looking for updates and I was delighted to see we actually got an answer from Postums. :) His words are still a bit cryptic as I think they're not ready to share details about this yet, I guess we'll have to wait a bit more.

I can't stress enough how important I feel it is for players to choose their server rather than being sent in the closest one and having the possibility to force matchmaking only on that one. They are completely different systems and the former is much much better in (not only) my opinion and experience from different shooters. I hope they listen to our feedback and do the right thing.
Darth Nint wrote:
giafra wrote:

Are they going to implement this feature when Infinite comes out? Asking for a friend
Wow, thank you for asking on my behalf! :D
I give up. I'll try now and again, but always get dumped in the East us2 server, with its 100+ ping. I'll immediately exit, ruining the game for everyone else, and get served a 30 minute ban. There's one less for your player pool that day.

Meanwhile, I have two European servers with a ping < 30 that I never get put in, and can't select. I am prepared to wait longer for a game I will enjoy.

Sort it out!
https://ibb.co/XYyWfDd
https://ibb.co/YdLx9ZJ
https://ibb.co/qdKtgPh
https://youtu.be/Ld497LAewjw

Thanks 343 Industries! We are having a lot of fun!
Pffff .... !!! Those who are in contact with them, you can send them with pleasure!
I'm disgusted !!!!
Glad to see that this thread still lives on! :)
Sadly Postums never replied to the second PM, the one where I asked him for some further clarifications about this planned solution. I guess I run out of luck after the first time!
I just wish they could say something more about this problem in one of those MCC blog posts: Postums said that they talked about this "several times publicly", but some sporadic sentences in a bunch of forum posts and tweets don't cut it, IMHO, especially when only a tiny percentage of the fanbase gets to find/read them: way too little exposure for such an issue that affects so many people.

And yes, I still refuse to believe that MCC can't find 7 other local players at any given time when searching for a social match with all games and modes enabled.
It's crazy anyway !! Why so much time, so much debates? It's just an option to add !! Even the Rocket League did it !!! They will release Halo Reach, and we will not even play properly! I miss Bungie !!!!!!
Playing on far away server from ur location looks like Dilettant vs Pros on World figure skating championship.
Darth Nint wrote:
Glad to see that this thread still lives on! :)
Sadly Postums never replied to the second PM, the one where I asked him for some further clarifications about this planned solution. I guess I run out of luck after the first time!
I just wish they could say something more about this problem in one of those MCC blog posts: Postums said that they talked about this "several times publicly", but some sporadic sentences in a bunch of forum posts and tweets don't cut it, IMHO, especially when only a tiny percentage of the fanbase gets to find/read them: way too little exposure for such an issue that affects so many people.
This has to do with the fact that they probably aren't ready to share informations on this yet, whatever they're working on may still be work in progress. The fact that they acknowledged the problems and told us they are working on a solution is pretty big already.Now we only have to wait for the right time to come.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7