Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

The unofficial "Let us choose our servers" thread.

OP Darth Nint

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. ...
  7. 6
I mean at least 343i acknowledged this problem half a year ago? But to be honest Bungie should have been on this for Halo 3 after having the exact same mess with Halo 2. Things appeared to be peer-to-peer back then but by matching with American opponents without a single exception, the issue was near identical from the players end. Modes that use 1-shot weapons, especially melee weapons just do not work.

In grifball if the enemy approaches me with the sword or bomb in hand, I'm already dead. If I try my sword at all, I'm dead no matter what they're holding. And if I want to trade a neutral melee (both combatants die) then it usually requires them making a mistake with their hammer before attempting to hit them with mine.

This problem is not weeks or months old. It's 15 years old for this franchise. If there are not enough people to fill an EU server before Halo: CE hits, anyone will be able to guess as to why. Without some competitive integrity, all we can do is either eat s*** and keep playing against opponents with handicaps or stick to nonsense modes until we burn ourselves out.

If it can't find 7-15 other people across my whole continent in 5 minutes then fair enough. I'd rather have matches that are half as frequent (or even less) than chew on disappointment every time a hit looks confirmed.
Bonnie Ross promised us more transparency going forward, but still we are non the wiser on this issue. I feel 343i are once again ignoring the issue and their non US customers, I understand that the largest player base is in the US but us European and Australian players deserve the same experience of low latency gaming.

While 343i refuse to address this issue and we wait for them come out with what they are planning to do and then promptly implement said action, they are going to hemorrhage non US players and obviously the remaining EU and AUS players that try and stick it out will eventually leave. This could have a huge impact on HALO INFINITE as players will remember how badly they have been treated by 343i, how 343i ignore their non US player base and force them into substandard gaming experiences, I can see HALO INFINITE having a very short life span outside of the US. I have talked to friends who played HALO religiously and no one is interested in going back to such poor matchmaking.

To anyone from 343i who reads this, you are the architects of your own downfall in non US territories, the ball is in your court.
Saw my name up there, kinda shocked, I think the servers I get normally placed in are extremely unplayable for me now since the update and I can’t even touch Multiplayer
Big issue for me. Nothing more annoying than losing to worse players due to my ping even though my connection is good
Just been banned because I quit out of a terribly bad game with one of the worst connections yet. I've reached the limit of my patience with 343i and Halo MCC matchmaking.

I'm sick and tired of the constant stonewalling of 343i they really are corporate through and through. I can't see anything happening until the new year but by then non US players will be sick and tired of the joke that is MCC matchmaking. I thought when 343i said they were listening to their community they meant all of the community not just the US players.

I'm just about done with this game and 343i.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Looks like it won't be for awhile.

Quote:
The following features and community requests are on the list but required more design and discussion, and are not currently in active development: Regional server selection.
Regional server selection (or simply getting connected to somewhere near my continent) is a far bigger issue than any single one of those things that they claim to actively be working on. This is far bigger than losing over half your frames due to instability above 60fps or a slight mouse delay. In the interest of competitive integrity they are nowhere near as bad when EVERYONE has it. We're talking hundreds of milliseconds worth of disadvantage, not tens, in a game where exact milliseconds matter. (Source Playing hundreds of matches as a UK player OR the ping list screenshot in the news update two posts up.)

They have said before that the game tries to put local players together before branching out. Like what, for not even 20 seconds? I would not be surprised if this could have all been fixed by changing a single constant and they haven't been bothered to find it. If someone told me that this was all designed to guarantee the best possible experience solely for US players, I wouldn't have a single point prepared for a counter-argument.

Six months since they first acknowledged it and the best we can get is 'it's on the list'. That phrase means nothing at this point. While I once felt partially informed, it's clear that the info sourced from 343 is straight up redundant even when it's hot off the presses. Idk what I'm still doing on the forum. I've certainly burned out of playing the game itself. I'm just glad I bought the game pass and left it at that for now.
Meanwhile steam users have taken matters into their own hands by making their own server browser; a feature which does not appear to be 'on the list' by the way!

Edit: Revised my post to be a little less disrespectful in tone. It's the holiday season. But the overall point stands. I WILL fully burn out soon, but I want this game to be in an okay place when I get back. This is one of those franchises that once defined my transition from child to teenager. It was among the first experiences that I shared with someone who would go on to determine much about my future outside of games. I sure as hell care what 343 does with it.
One thing is clear, for sure: the whole "there's not enough population outside of US" to explain why the US servers are always chosen instead of local ones turned out to be completely false the second Reach dropped in the MCC.
There's no way it couldn't reliably find players in your region when MILLIONS of players returned to MCC to play Reach: suggesting otherwise would be implying that Halo is so dead it can't even find 7 other players in your region the day of an official release.
There's no way this is the case, so I stand by my belief, which hasn't changed at all since I made this thread: the that game doesn't even TRY to find players in your region, because the algorithm gives too much preference to quick connections.

However, since the last update I've been connecting a lot to the East US server, instead of the East US 2 one, which resulted in a small, altough tangible, improvement in my matchmaking experience, so at least there's that.
Darth Nint wrote:
One thing is clear, for sure: the whole "there's not enough population outside of US" to explain why the US servers are always chosen instead of local ones turned out to be completely false the second Reach dropped in the MCC.
There's no way it couldn't reliably find players in your region when MILLIONS of players returned to MCC to play Reach: suggesting otherwise would be implying that Halo is so dead it can't even find 7 other players in your region the day of an official release.
There's no way this is the case, so I stand by my belief, which hasn't changed at all since I made this thread: the that game doesn't even TRY to find players in your region, because the algorithm gives too much preference to quick connections.

However, since the last update I've been connecting a lot to the East US server, instead of the East US 2 one, which resulted in a small, altough tangible, improvement in my matchmaking experience, so at least there's that.
OP in recent hours I have been pointed toward something by Steams discussion boards that I reckon would be very worth mentioning here. Something game-saving. I have yet to try this myself yet but all signs are looking good.

It's a method of preemptively force-blocking servers by region before you get matched into them. And it requires very little set up. How little? You don't have to download anything and it's all described in this 2 minute video. That's how little. It doesn't require any tampering with the games folders, which means it doesn't matter where you got your PC version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRwAMSTZSYM&lc=

The guide is aimed at PC users but this could theoretically work for consoles if these same servers are blocked via the router/modem instead.
We now should be able to play the game the way it was intended. Provided that this works, be sure to make your appreciation known to the person that uploaded this video.

(As I also pointed out in the comment section of that video, isn't it funny that East US has just as many servers as the entire continent of Europe? Or that the US has nearly as many servers as the rest of the world combined?)
Honestly this has been such an issue for such a long time that I've gotten to the point where I think 343i doesnt really care about it, because the player base outside US isnt very high.

Buying an Xbox one for the launch of MCC collection has been one of the worst gaming related decisions ive ever made (as I only bought it for the multiplayer)

5 years later the game is still pretty unplayable to me online as it's just too laggy. I live in London and the only servers I connect to are US East and US East 2.

I would be more than happy for longer queue times to play a game without lag.

Im praying that they at least fix it for Infinite or i'm just gonna skip it completely I think.
Nevermind someone mentioned the same thing already
I am with Halo many years. I played thousands of hours on Halo Custom Edition and Halo 1 online, I also liked Halo 2 multiplayer. Then I bought Xbox 360 consoles for Halo 3, ODST, Reach and Halo 4, Halo Wars. I was happy when in 2014 343i announced Halo MCC on E3. I boght Xbox One console to play Halo MCC online. It was ecstasy, even with big ping. Nowadays Its fun to play little time in MCC multiplayer but I prefer playing 1 match in Halo MCC games with big ping and 9 matches in other multiplayer games with low ping. I played many PvP games and I see what to compare with Halo MCC multiplayer. In Battlefield you see Server Browser, in Rainbow Six you see Data Center connected. In MCC you automatically connected to East US.

Ping in Halo MCC is significant. Obviously many sincerely loving Halo fans abandoned Halo MCC online because bad matchmaking system. I dont know technology of multiplayer programming in MCC. I have 2 variants to help the matchmaking system.

Variant A: My thought is making Server Browser for each game with mixed modes I stopped at 4vs4 and 8vs8 as classic Halo MCC matches:
Halo 1 server 4 vs 4
Halo 2 server 4 vs 4
Halo 3 server 4 vs 4
Halo 4 server 4 vs 4
Halo 2A server 4 vs 4
Halo Reach server 4 vs 4
Halo 1 server 8 vs 8
Halo 2 server 8 vs 8
Halo 3 server 8 vs 8
Halo 4 server 8 vs 8
Halo 2A server 8 vs 8
Halo Reach server 8 vs 8
Halo 3 infection
Halo 4 infection
Halo 2A infection
Halo Reach infection

!Each server showes amount of people playing.
!Filter server option: Region.
I didnt see big problem to do this. If Azure servers cant do this buy or rent EA servers.

Variant B: When player is logged in multiplayer menu he has Symbol-options: Fast Play on any server or Best Connection on closest server. If the player cant find game with Best Connection option ON the matchmaking system pop-up message: "Do you want to expand the macthmaking zone?" After player answer OK and the matchmaking system goes to Fast Play mode to connect him to first available match. In this variant I am peaceful because I know that matchmaking server had tried to find games in the closest region and its not unpleasantly unfair when the macthmaking decide for you and force you to play immediatly on East US. I also cant believe that with huge population in fresh released Halo Reach lists players are connected to East US.

343i, Big Thanks for adding Halo Reach in this Legendary Games Collection! I am glad to see "Regional server selection" issue is at least in "discussions" status. I dont know when you make "Regional server selection". Just dont forget about our request. I see as a fan you have many plans in the future: Halo Reach patches to PC, Halo 1,2,3,ODST,4 ports&pathes then ardently awaited Halo Infinite. Have a Happy holidays!
This post has been edited by a moderator. Because we are not currently equipped to provide moderation in other languages, we must ask that all messages be posted in English. Feel free to use an online language translation service, and then create a new thread with the translated text. Sorry for the inconvenience.
jeu de
This post has been edited by a moderator. Because we are not currently equipped to provide moderation in other languages, we must ask that all messages be posted in English. Feel free to use an online language translation service, and then create a new thread with the translated text. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Je chie sur 343I, t'fason vous etes des merdes, z'avez l'habitude ! Bande de cons.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Because we are not currently equipped to provide moderation in other languages, we must ask that all messages be posted in English. Feel free to use an online language translation service, and then create a new thread with the translated text. Sorry for the inconvenience.Je chie sur 343I, t'fason vous etes des merdes, z'avez l'habitude ! Bande de cons.
Couldn't agree more
And just like that, this games population is gone.
Cooperal wrote:
Darth Nint wrote:

OP in recent hours I have been pointed toward something by Steams discussion boards that I reckon would be very worth mentioning here. Something game-saving. I have yet to try this myself yet but all signs are looking good.

It's a method of preemptively force-blocking servers by region before you get matched into them. And it requires very little set up. How little? You don't have to download anything and it's all described in this 2 minute video. That's how little. It doesn't require any tampering with the games folders, which means it doesn't matter where you got your PC version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRwAMSTZSYM&lc=

The guide is aimed at PC users but this could theoretically work for consoles if these same servers are blocked via the router/modem instead.
We now should be able to play the game the way it was intended. Provided that this works, be sure to make your appreciation known to the person that uploaded this video.

(As I also pointed out in the comment section of that video, isn't it funny that East US has just as many servers as the entire continent of Europe? Or that the US has nearly as many servers as the rest of the world combined?)
It's such a simple/brilliant idea. Send requests to unwanted servers to a dead IP address so you can't connect to them. Easy. Beautiful.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, or post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator. Do not flame or attack others.
Spoiler:
Show
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. ...
  7. 6