Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Things 343 quietly changed from OG reach

OP I Steal Toilets

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Let me say that I’ve been a Reach player since day one on the 360, I’ve logged hundreds of hours and many many games and I’ve got slightly over 100k multiplayer kills. There have been a few things I’ve noticed so far that have been purposely changed from the original 360 version, core mechanics.

1. Weapons fire rate, look at the concussion rifle, it’s fire rate has been cut in half making it absolutely worthless.
2. Barriers on certain maps, Spire and Boneyard in BTB there are now barriers on the map, you can’t even access all the areas in a match now
3. Bleed through in every playlist
4. Spawns do not seem to be OG Reach, I was playing a match and had an enemy go in armor lock in a 1v1, his teammate spawns 10 feet away and pops me. The spawns do not feel like OG Reach especially in BTB playlists, although I could be wrong more playtime will tell. It would be nice if 343 could confirm all of the things they have changed from the original because it’s quite obvious things are starting to pop up that have been changed from OG Reach and we’re just scratching the surface.

The biggest thing so far is why did 343 intentionally change the fire rate for some weapons?? You should have NEVER messed with core game mechanics like that. This isn’t the original, we want the original core gameplay mechanics. You didn’t mess with weapon fire rates in the other halos, why do it with Reach, this never should have happened you need to put fire rates back to their original rates.

Feel free to add any other major core mechanics 343 has changed from original
Ill add the game countdown sound is changed too.
343 didn't covertly add bleedthrough in every playlist. Since bleedthrough only applies to TU settings, they've specifically mentioned that virtually all playlists will use TU settings. In fact, when a TU match loads; they specially said that bleedthrough is applied.

Here's a quote from the MCC November blog update:
Quote:
For MCC, we aligned on TU being the core foundation for the game’s matchmaking settings. TU was built on learnings from the vanilla settings, but still retained the same core mechanics and balance the game shipped with; alterations were evolutionary rather than revolutionary. Aside from a reduction in bloom, TU settings also introduced bleedthrough where a hit can punch through a player’s shields and damage their health. There was a bug in legacy Reach exposed by bleedthrough where a player’s head took damage and was healed independently from their body which resulted in inconsistent time-to-kill (TTK) against players who had taken damage and then healed. We fixed this issue in MCC, so bleedthrough was the natural choice given that it brings more consistency with the other titles in MCC.

TU settings are the core settings across Reach matchmaking in MCC. This applies to all core Slayer and objective categories as well as niche categories like SWAT, Snipers, and Action Sack. The only exceptions are Infection, Grifball, Invasion, and Hardcore.
Whether or not bleedthrough/TU is good for the game is not relevant to what I'm saying.
Let me say that I’ve been a Reach player since day one on the 360, I’ve logged hundreds of hours and many many games and I’ve got slightly over 100k multiplayer kills. There have been a few things I’ve noticed so far that have been purposely changed from the original 360 version, core mechanics.

1. Weapons fire rate, look at the concussion rifle, it’s fire rate has been cut in half making it absolutely worthless.
2. Barriers on certain maps, Spire and Boneyard in BTB there are now barriers on the map, you can’t even access all the areas in a match now
3. Bleed through in every playlist
4. Spawns do not seem to be OG Reach, I was playing a match and had an enemy go in armor lock in a 1v1, his teammate spawns 10 feet away and pops me. The spawns do not feel like OG Reach especially in BTB playlists, although I could be wrong more playtime will tell. It would be nice if 343 could confirm all of the things they have changed from the original because it’s quite obvious things are starting to pop up that have been changed from OG Reach and we’re just scratching the surface.

The biggest thing so far is why did 343 intentionally change the fire rate for some weapons?? You should have NEVER messed with core game mechanics like that. This isn’t the original, we want the original core gameplay mechanics. You didn’t mess with weapon fire rates in the other halos, why do it with Reach, this never should have happened you need to put fire rates back to their original rates.

Feel free to add any other major core mechanics 343 has changed from original
Bleedthrough is a result of the trash that is the title update Reach got in like 2012. But thankfully in OG Reach you could keep playing regular playlists and ignore that whole mess. Unfortunately, pretty much everything in the MCCs Reach is title updated, thus pretty much ruining the experience for me.
A couple of those aren't really intentional changes. For example, the weapons fire faster because of the double tick rate from going to 60fps which happened in all the games.
I agree the concussion rifle change sucks whether it was intentional or not (my guess is byproduct of framerate increase), I noticed it fired slower immediately, at first I wasn’t sure if it was me or not but it’s frustrating. Thankfully it’s not as big a deal to me now as I have done my Legendary/LASO runs and you really only need concussion for Pillar, even with the slower fire rate the skips on that level are still very doable just a bit harder.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
A couple of those aren't really intentional changes. For example, the weapons fire faster because of the double tick rate from going to 60fps which happened in all the games.
Style over substance?
Looks great, sounds bad and plays somewhat worse, I haven't come across a game that's been improved apon or even close to parity with the og's in the mcc as yet 4k 60fps is quickly forgotten if it doesn't perform on the game play level
When an enemy uses a hologram the dot on the motion tracker is now red instead of yellow and I'm pretty sure once it comes to a stop the red dot remains on the tracker until the hologram disappears.
I too played a lot of Reach since its xbox 360 launch, And never touched the Title update playlists in the 360 edition, so naturally I was pretty confused at first playing the MCC Reach as bleedthrough and reduce bloom do change the flow of gameplay a decent amount. I myself don't mind change, I feel the core reach multiplayer experience is still perfectly alive with the TU MCC settings, Which is why I play. I love Reach's multiplayer environment and features and modes. However I also understand the suprise of seeing a change in balance, maybe even some dissapointment for people (like yourself) that have put a massive amount of time into the original balance. It boils down to what you like and if these changes really soil your experience to much.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
That's not an excuse. They need to put a fix in place such that the fire rate on the ported, 60 FPS version is the same as the fire rate on the original version.
The seraphs in "Long Night Of Solace" have been given a major buff.
Bleed through is ruining the experience for me. The inconsistency of not knowing when you have enough shield to be a 5 shot or a 4 shot and how screwed the melee is now is just plain stupid. I can’t understand how this made it through play testing. I have a video on my xbox captures of me getting one hit melee’d when I have 90% of my shield because a grenade 5 ft away barely grazed me at the same time I got melee’d. The TTK in CQB is nonexistent now.
It feels like that everything but bloom was updated to 60 fps. The bloom is way worse on MCC than ever before
Bleed through is ruining the experience for me. The inconsistency of not knowing when you have enough shield to be a 5 shot or a 4 shot and how screwed the melee is now is just plain stupid. I can’t understand how this made it through play testing. I have a video on my xbox captures of me getting one hit melee’d when I have 90% of my shield because a grenade 5 ft away barely grazed me at the same time I got melee’d. The TTK in CQB is nonexistent now.
I never liked Bleedthrough across any halo because of this. I literally can’t play this crap and I’m so disappointed because to me, Reach IMPROVED that aspect of the gameplay. Now not only is it inconsistent but when it IS consistent, two skilled players will almost always kill eachother at the exact same time no matter what happens....there’s almost never survivors, because in a 1v1 you no longer need shields totally down to secure a kill. And 2v1s are pretty much hopeless.
not sure what you are talking about for the spawns, but it looks like the system is alike to the original
<p></p>anybody gonna talk about how they changed armor lock?
Reach has always had garbage spawn logic, this is because Bungie decided to make dynamic spawns the standard as opposed to more static locations and zones. It's especially noticeable on small maps. IIRC the demand was so high for static settings on Beaver Creek alone that the static version of the map was hosted in a whole bunch of fileshares back in the day.
I’d noticed the Concussion Rifle’s reduced ROF and what seemed to be a significant difficulty spike in the space battle. First, I thought I might have simply forgotten about how hard LNOS was, but every one of my friends mentioned the same thing. It’s one of my favorite missions from any Halo game so it was a bit of a bummer when I had to hide behind Anchor 9 and the Savannah for so long!
JC Digits wrote:
<p></p>anybody gonna talk about how they changed armor lock?
How so?
The seraphs in "Long Night Of Solace" have been given a major buff.
The AI overall have been given a major aggression increase, chasing you where in the 360 version they wouldn't (no tough luck skull)
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2