Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Thoughts and Tips from a 16-player Halo MCC LAN

OP LarsBars

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
jcwrekszZ1 wrote:
Damn dude, at age 34 with all my friends scattered around the country with different careers, I’m struggling to coordinate SIX people in one spot. What state are you in?
Dude, I'm 34 as well! All the people I had over for our LAN were newly acquainted friends within our age group and hobbies. My girl plays and so do some of her girl friends. But most don't play video games and most hadn't played halo since the glory days CE/H2. I mentioned doing a LAN party and the ball started rolling from there. We had so much fun were doing it again soon and planning to do annually in November every year now. I did post to the Halo looking Reddit but no one followed through.

Working on setting up the Xbox's now to stream through Mixer next time. We had such a blast and there was so much trash talk it needs to be saved for the laughs.
brings back memories of "before LIVE".
Very cool. Glad you had a successful event. I too used to have big 8v8 LAN parties back in the day. We would try and separate the two teams into different rooms, but it wasn't always possible. Anyway, most of our games were slayer to 100 kills, and not just on big maps. We did every map lol, including Chiron. Those were good times. Occasionally we would do CTF games on Blood Gulch, Hang'em High and Damnation, but that was about it. Sidewinder was just too big and not enough action. I love chaotic games of 8v8 slayer on maps like Longest, Wizard and Chill Out. So.Good.
Chaturbate Xnxx Tubegalore
I too used to have big 8v8 LAN parties back in the day. We would try and separate the two teams into different rooms, but it wasn't always possible.
Nice! That's the best way to do it. But it's always good to have a common area for the IRL postgame carnage discussion.
LarsBars wrote:
I too used to have big 8v8 LAN parties back in the day. We would try and separate the two teams into different rooms, but it wasn't always possible.
Nice! That's the best way to do it. But it's always good to have a common area for the IRL postgame carnage discussion.
It's better to have everyone in one room, imo. Makes the chaos that much better! My LAN/gaming area is all setup in the living room so we're all together for LAN parties
Hey there,

AWESOME article. Brings back fond memories of New year's day 16 player madness on 4 consoles. After going to Blizzcon last November, I was hit with the eSports party bug. I'm designing a rig to accommodate all kinds of different eSports. (Similar to your idea of hosting at church and using the big screen for the audience). Only difficult part for me at this point is setting up the observer. As you have probably seen at any tournament there is an observer PC that shows the 3rd person view of the game to the audience. This is pretty easy for PC based games like Starcraft, Overwatch, Heroes, LOL etc. The exception being OW as you have to "rent" a local game host from them.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this in a multiple console environment like you have described here. If you have a 16 player cap, how do you set up an observer? Is that even possible? Other than splitting off every console video out two ways and just routing them through a massive switcher. (which I can do, was just hoping there was an easier way) lol. It's really simple for single console fighting games and stuff like that. But if you want the arena feel, you need to be able to not only have the camera in the sky, but also be able to switch to any player's POV instantly.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!!
Grinchdog00
Where was this hosted I want to move there 😂😂😂
Hey there,

AWESOME article. Brings back fond memories of New year's day 16 player madness on 4 consoles. After going to Blizzcon last November, I was hit with the eSports party bug. I'm designing a rig to accommodate all kinds of different eSports. (Similar to your idea of hosting at church and using the big screen for the audience). Only difficult part for me at this point is setting up the observer. As you have probably seen at any tournament there is an observer PC that shows the 3rd person view of the game to the audience. This is pretty easy for PC based games like Starcraft, Overwatch, Heroes, LOL etc. The exception being OW as you have to "rent" a local game host from them.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this in a multiple console environment like you have described here. If you have a 16 player cap, how do you set up an observer? Is that even possible? Other than splitting off every console video out two ways and just routing them through a massive switcher. (which I can do, was just hoping there was an easier way) lol. It's really simple for single console fighting games and stuff like that. But if you want the arena feel, you need to be able to not only have the camera in the sky, but also be able to switch to any player's POV instantly.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!!
Grinchdog00
Haha cheers!! Big Halo LAN parties are truly special.

As far as having a neutral character / perspective / screen actually IN THE GAME, Halo definitely doesn't have that (Maybe Halo 5, but not sure?) I think your best bet for split-screen Halo LANs would be to do 4 consoles, each console split 4 ways. Then have a player from each console stream to Mixer, and have them all get invited to the same co-stream. Mixer supports 4-way co-streaming. Then you would have one website, that has access to all sixteen screens at once.

Here is a gallery of me testing the Mixer co-stream LAN party ideaAlternatively, you could buy an HDMI pass-through device for each console, then route the HDMI signals into a switcher like you said. But I think the Mixer idea is cooler!
so cool your post! i hope microsoft can change that of the guest accounts... 360 system was much better for halo LAN parties.
PhOboSurF wrote:
so cool your post! i hope microsoft can change that of the guest accounts... 360 system was much better for halo LAN parties.
Haha cheers! Yeah system link was great, but as long as you either use a a normal home router (99% of home networks), or follow my Halo MCC "System Link" LAN tutorial video, you should be fine!
Sounds like it was a great time. I also do these Halo Nights what I like to do is connect my Xbox’s through my spare router. I would play Halo 1, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 4, and Halo Reach. I would use both Xbox 360 and Xbox One through backwards compatibility.
PhOboSurF wrote:
I am thinking about making a YouTube video to deep dive into the offline ability of MCC LAN, do you think that would be useful?
Wow I am truly jealous. Wish I had friends willing to play LAN.
I love reading these LAN stories! For my friend's graduation party we had a MCC LAN party and we played a crap ton of Halo CE and Halo 3. We had to rent some controllers from our school library. My only thing is that if people aren't bringing setups, its a good idea to carry spare controllers (Cheap wired ones, spare wireless ones, etc). Im going to try to host another one real soon for my graduation!
cojo09 2 wrote:
I love reading these LAN stories! For my friend's graduation party we had a MCC LAN party and we played a crap ton of Halo CE and Halo 3. We had to rent some controllers from our school library. My only thing is that if people aren't bringing setups, its a good idea to carry spare controllers (Cheap wired ones, spare wireless ones, etc). Im going to try to host another one real soon for my graduation!
Nice, great idea! Honestly though, it's usually best when you can confirm 4 setups with some of your fellow TryHards, then just let the casuals come and enjoy with rental controllers. That way you don't have weird amounts of Xboxes etc.

Godspeed on your next LAN!!
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2