Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Thoughts on Custom Installations For MCC?

OP skittles2519

Picture of Custom Installation in MCC

Just wanting to know the Communities Thoughts on how it looks? Especially what the last Game to Install could be??? ;)
I think it looks terrific!

Update* MineStarCraft mentioned a video that talked about this so I found it and its really good. Check it out here!
If you are talking about that one with the lock over it that is probably H3 ODST campaign, as it was campaign only. But it looks pretty good.
I was talking about the one that is off the screen. Call me crazy but the first half of the tv has 3 games, then the right side of the tv cuts off the last one.
Good idea.

Allows you to install the content you want to play and save on the HDD space.
I was talking about the one that is off the screen. Call me crazy but the first half of the tv has 3 games, then the right side of the tv cuts off the last one.
I wouldn't look to deep into that. I highly doubt they are adding another title to the MCC. Even if there was another title, I doubt we would see it added this year. I wonder how multiplayer will accommodate smart installation. Will cross game playlists require all multiplayers installed, or would Halo X not show up in my matchmaking experience. Maybe they might do away with cross game playlists.
EdPeter made a video talking about this and what he noticed is intriguing.
You notice how the screen is cut in half like if there's one game they don't want to show? Look at the center of the screen using the logo off the screen, in the bottom of the monitor. You'll see it goes right through the middle of Halo 3 and ODST. EdPeter theorized that they could be hiding a game, namely, Halo Reach. It's just a theory he came up with.

Oh, I would have everything installed. And I mean, everything =)
@ UnheardCarnage
You may be right but still I cant help not thinking about what the last 15 % of the screen could be showing
Also I think your last sentence is correct they will remove the cross game playlists in matchmaking.

@MineStarCraft
Exactly what I am thinking! time to look up that video your talking about
It doesn't look bad at all, I'm excited to see the new Main Menu
I like it, but have they talked about what happens if you tried matchmaking in playlist with a game you don't have the multiplayer installed for? Like if I didn't have Halo 4 maps installed and I wanted to play Swat, for example
I like it, but have they talked about what happens if you tried matchmaking in playlist with a game you don't have the multiplayer installed for? Like if I didn't have Halo 4 maps installed and I wanted to play Swat, for example
It won't show up. After all, why would they allow a game to be an option when someone doesn't have the files for that game? It simply wouldn't work.
Would be amazing if its Reach. Most likely its just empty space or Spartan Ops though.
You notice how the screen is cut in half like if there's one game they don't want to show? Look at the center of the screen using the logo off the screen, in the bottom of the monitor. You'll see it goes right through the middle of Halo 3 and ODST. EdPeter theorized that they could be hiding a game, namely, Halo Reach. It's just a theory he came up with.
Highly likely it's just Halo 4 Spartan Ops. Not Reach at all. Nothing really new here tbh (Halo 4 Spartan Ops isn't part of Halo 4, and if you take a look, ODST was part of the Halo 3 section but it seems like 343 removed that. Soo the same could be said for Halo 4 Spartan Ops as well. Your dreams of Reach being added this early has been crushed, sorry kiddo.
@ UnheardCarnage
You may be right but still I cant help not thinking about what the last 15 % of the screen could be showing
Also I think your last sentence is correct they will remove the cross game playlists in matchmaking.
It's just Halo 4 Spartan Ops. I don't get how you guys missed this section at all. After all, why did they remove ODST out of the "Halo 3 section"..? Same is said for Spartan Ops as well.
It won't show up. After all, why would they allow a game to be an option when someone doesn't have the files for that game? It simply wouldn't work.
I think what's going to happen is players who don't have a certain game, aren't able to search in playlist that require all 3 games. So if you wanted to search for SWAT, but SWAT required you to have all 4 games, you simply wouldn't be able to search in the SWAT playlist at all, instead you'd only be able to search in the Halo 1-4 specific playlist that 343 will likely be adding multiple game modes to, including SWAT to each specific only playlist.

They might also add new playlist like searching for games only in Halo 2 or 3 (Team hardcore) Halo 1 or 4, Halo 3 or 1, etc. Doubtful, but it's a possibility.
Would be amazing if its Reach. Most likely its just empty space or Spartan Ops though.
Exactly what I thought the moment I saw it. Obviously it's Halo 4 Spartan Ops. Halo Reach isn't going to be added to Halo MCC this early, maybe by next year but now? Hahaha no. I highly doubt it's going to be coming to MCC at all anyways.
Nighterlev wrote:
Highly likely it's just Halo 4 Spartan Ops. Not Reach at all. Nothing really new here tbh (Halo 4 Spartan Ops isn't part of Halo 4, and if you take a look, ODST was part of the Halo 3 section but it seems like 343 removed that. Soo the same could be said for Halo 4 Spartan Ops as well. Your dreams of Reach being added this early has been crushed, sorry kiddo.
I'm actually against Reach being added to MCC. And I didn't say it was, I said that EdPeter theorized it could be Halo Reach. I simply quoted him.
EDIT: Thinking about it, it wouldn't really make sense to make Spartan Ops separate like ODST. After all, Halo 3 and ODST are standalone, but Spartan Ops came with Halo 4. If Spartan Ops' getting added, it wouldn't really make sense to make a separate download option like if it's another game, but make it an option like H4's campaign and multiplayer.
Nighterlev wrote:
Exactly what I thought the moment I saw it. Obviously it's Halo 4 Spartan Ops. Halo Reach isn't going to be added to Halo MCC this early, maybe by next year but now? Hahaha no. I highly doubt it's going to be coming to MCC at all anyways.
Another possibility could simply be changing the Halo 5 Beta Launcher to a "Halo 5 Launcher" for those who have it installed.

I think we will definitely get Reach, the rest of ODST, and Halo Custom Edition... Next year.
In the last blog they acknowledged the community demand for Reach and ODST firefight, and they said they had already toyed with adding Halo Custom Edition into the game. I would personally love for all three to be added but, given the total possible install size shown, its not happening this update.
Thinking about it, it wouldn't really make sense to make Spartan Ops separate like ODST. After all, Halo 3 and ODST are standalone, but Spartan Ops came with Halo 4. If Spartan Ops' getting added, it wouldn't really make sense to make a separate download option like if it's another game, but make it an option like H4's campaign and multiplayer.
I don't know why or how you'd think it wouldn't make sense, because in my eyes it perfectly makes sense. In Halo MCC as of right now, Halo 3 and ODST are part of the same exact menu's. If you click on Halo 3, you also get ODST. Soo...yeah. If you click Multiplayer, you get Spartan Ops.
So what does 343 have to do here? Take ODST out of the Halo 3 section, add it to the full on campaign. Then take Spartan Ops out of the Multiplayer section, and add it to the full on campaign list.

Why would 343 want to do this you ask? To make people who play Halo MCC aware that Halo 4 Spartan Ops is indeed on Halo MCC. Most people don't realize this at all actually. Spartan Ops was also a seperate download option with Halo 4 originally. It didn't come with Halo 4 at all, you had to separately download it if you wanted to play it from the get go. So...For people who don't want Spartan Ops, they'd be able to separately download it and make the size of Halo MCC smaller if they wanted to.

I think we will definitely get Reach, the rest of ODST, and Halo Custom Edition... Next year.
In the last blog they acknowledged the community demand for Reach and ODST firefight, and they said they had already toyed with adding Halo Custom Edition into the game. I would personally love for all three to be added but, given the total possible install size shown, its not happening this update.
Are we getting Reach? I highly doubt it altogether. Not to mention it was more of a "side thought" when coming from 343. Although I definitely think that Reach coming to Halo MCC is far more likely to happen then either Halo MCC, or Halo 6 for that matter making it to PC at all. Maybe something like Halo 6: Forge but I wouldn't put my money on a powerful PC to play a game that's just going to be dead nonstop like Halo 5 Forge currently is.

They definitely aren't going to be adding Custom Edition to Halo MCC, that's pretty much a known fact already. They did hire a guy who knew a lot about Custom edition and apparently he is implementing a number of changes from Custom edition into the current Halo Combat Evolved build we have today. Will we see anything like mod support though? Definitely not, knowing Microsoft.
Nighterlev wrote:
Thinking about it, it wouldn't really make sense to make Spartan Ops separate like ODST. After all, Halo 3 and ODST are standalone, but Spartan Ops came with Halo 4. If Spartan Ops' getting added, it wouldn't really make sense to make a separate download option like if it's another game, but make it an option like H4's campaign and multiplayer.
I don't know why or how you'd think it wouldn't make sense, because in my eyes it perfectly makes sense. In Halo MCC as of right now, Halo 3 and ODST are part of the same exact menu's. If you click on Halo 3, you also get ODST. Soo...yeah. If you click Multiplayer, you get Spartan Ops.
So what does 343 have to do here? Take ODST out of the Halo 3 section, add it to the full on campaign. Then take Spartan Ops out of the Multiplayer section, and add it to the full on campaign list.

Why would 343 want to do this you ask? To make people who play Halo MCC aware that Halo 4 Spartan Ops is indeed on Halo MCC. Most people don't realize this at all actually. Spartan Ops was also a seperate download option with Halo 4 originally. It didn't come with Halo 4 at all, you had to separately download it if you wanted to play it from the get go. So...For people who don't want Spartan Ops, they'd be able to separately download it and make the size of Halo MCC smaller if they wanted to.
I actually did forget that we had to download Spartan Ops, but either way, it's an option in the game, whereas in Halo 3, there was no option, not even a reference to Halo 3 ODST. Halo 3 and Halo 3 ODST are very different games, as playing as a Spartan is nothing like playing as an ODST, the Brutes are different, the 360 ODST version has a few graphical improvements over Halo 3, etc. Whereas Spartan Ops, it plays exactly the same like the rest of Halo 4. You play as your own Spartan that has no differences to Master Chief whatsoever, no graphical improvements, and the enemies are exactly the same.
This is why I think it wouldn't make sense to me for Spartan Ops to be the hidden game.
It's a nice feature to be sure, and going by the test screens it's looking aesthetically pleasing as well.

At this point I'd call it a necessity for some people given how massive the MCC's current install requirements are, so I'm glad that its being implemented and hopefully it will allow for the streamlining of additional content further down the road (ODST Firefight and possibly Reach).
Well, looks like the covered part of the screen in the screenshot is actually nothing. It's blank. Neither Halo Reach nor really anything else. It could maybe change sometime in the future, but I find that VERY unlikely.
Well, looks like the covered part of the screen in the screenshot is actually nothing. It's blank. Neither Halo Reach nor really anything else. It could maybe change sometime in the future, but I find that VERY unlikely.
I wouldn't hold my breath.