Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

[Locked] "TU" Slayer is Awful

OP Odintsova

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
As a veteran Reach player who rejoiced at the DMR being made, I was so disappointed when Bungie (yes Bungie) said they would add a title update (TU) to Halo: Reach. As a result, reticle bloom would be reduced. This happened back in 2012/2013, maybe 2011? Can't remember.

Bungie completely altered the DMR because Halo 3 fans were upset it wasn't the Battle Rifle. Bloom was reduced and this took away one of the key features that many Reach fans were getting used to: pacing your shots. Ever since Reach was finally added to MCC, I had an a horrible sneaking suspicion that TU gametypes would be the main way of play. And I was right. Aside from Invasion, where you actually have non-TU Invasion, almost every Reach game type in Social play lists is TU (I haven't played much ranked Reach but I know TU is the only version of social game types, non-TU really isn't that difficult...).

Reach was never meant to have a BR and the DMR is basically just a re textured BR. I have heard other Reach veterans over the mic say "why is this guys' DMR so fast?" "they've gotta be cheating," "This game is laggy, I can't shoot as fast as everyone else."

People are confused. Those who don't remember the TU or have no idea what TU even stands for are lead to believe there's something wrong with their connection or that the other player is cheating. I personally hate the inconsistency, too. I love the addition of Reach but jumping between TU games and not having to pace your shots -to- then non-TU games, is extremely incosistent. One could argue the collection is already inconsistent due to there being 5 different Halo titles installed. But there is an entirely different expectation when one goes from Halo CE to Halo 4. The empirical differences immediately let us know that the game play will be different. With Reach, we have two completely different versions of the game and if you forget to read the title in the bottom right corner or have no idea what TU even stands for, you're probably going to lose. You go in with an expectation that gameplay is one way and while they're all different Halo titles, Reach is the only one with two different versions of gameplay (gameplay as in how the game functions, not gametypes).

Obviously it's easy to find out whether or not you're in a TU game, but I really think it takes away from Reach. The game was specifically made to have the DMR and pacing shots. Bungie even said themselves in a ViDoc about the DMR that the BR was too OP and the DMR was the answer to that (my answer too, as the BR had a sharp learning curve and 2007, 13 year old me, couldn't be bothered to learn how to use it, resulting in me not being that great with the BR despite hitting 44 in Lone Wolves).

I really do think all the TU games should be done away with completely. We now have both Halo 3 and Reach, so fans can choose which rifle they want to use. On top of that, Halo 4 offers both rifles. TU makes the game so dreadfully easy for Halo 3 veterans and just really boring overall as the firefights boil down to who can shoot the fastest. It's also really confusing when your reticles flair in TU but it doesn't matter because it's TU so bloom is reduced meaning that you'll hit the shots anyway as long as you know how to aim. The reticle blowing up only adds to the confusion and I get caught off guard thinking if I'm in TU or non-TU (yes I know it's in the corner but I get forgetful and don't always read that, la-dee-da). Removing TU would mean we'd never have to worry about Reach having two different iterations (as if it wasn't already confusing jumping between 5 games: that was manageable, TU is just unnecessary confusion).

Reach always felt different to me. I adore Halo 3 far more, but I can actually engage in the competitive side of Matchmaking with Reach. But TU just makes it feel like Halo 3 v.2.0...
343 implemented the Title Update to Halo: Reach. Personally I think the Title Update helped improve the game. The reduced bloom, rebalancing of Armor Lock, and melee bleedthrough returning being the biggest takeaways.
Agreed, I didn’t like TU when it made its way into Reach. It was especially noticeable in BTB it made the DMR way too good and accurate in long range situations.
100% bloom is terrible. So is armor lock. TU saved Reach.
Bloom was not balanced in OG Reach. Players who decided to pace their shots would constantly lose to players who spammed. Only at very long distances was shot pacing actually encouraged.
TU > Vanilla. Really don’t know why this keeps coming up.
TU > Vanilla. Really don’t know why this keeps coming up.
It's only a 15% reduction at that. I am truly starting to believe that they are just getting outplayed by more accurate players at this point, that or they are mad about the armor lock nerf in which case lmao.
theres nothing worse then timing your shots to keep bloom small, and someone is clearly pulling the trigger as fast as possible, and they get a lucky head shot. Zero bloom=true skill. bloom=luck. pure and simple.
Bloom was not balanced in OG Reach. Players who decided to pace their shots would constantly lose to players who spammed. Only at very long distances was shot pacing actually encouraged.
This is true. Happened to me many times in CQB.
I don't mind TU for 4x4 but it makes BTB boring as the game comes down to long range DMR battles.
I stopped playing original Reach long before the Title Update came out because I was so turned off by how different the gameplay felt from the games before it. Now that Reach is in MCC and I've played some TU matches, I really like the changes that the TU brought. Reach is fun to play now and feels more like classic Halo.
XFitDaddy wrote:
I don't mind TU for 4x4 but it makes BTB boring as the game comes down to long range DMR battles.
this is the first argument against TU that i see as a valid argument.
My biggest problem with the TU is that having less than 20% of your shield makes you an instant one shot with the DMR. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve been in a 1v1, beat the other guy just to get one shot from across the map or even worse, killed by the guy I killed when he respawns when my shield is still up. Needle rifle gets a huge buff from bleed through as well because the last shot that wouldn’t have killed you in vanilla Reach will kill you before your shield is down. Reach used to be very clear on when you would get one shot because your shield had to be popped. Now it’s a guessing game as to when your shield is high enough to survive. Not to mention the melee is completely over powered now. 2 shots with the DMR and a melee is an instant kill because of bleedthrough, which makes using anything else pointless. Time to kill in melee range fights is extremely low in this state, something that wasn’t a problem in non TU Slayer, which was still the most populated playlist in OG Reach before it got put on MCC.
Whenever I see a 'tu sucks' thread, I cant help but think these guys only mad that they cant use armour lock for it's full duration. TU is superior to original in every way.
100% bloom is terrible. So is armor lock. TU saved Reach.
It didn't tho. Look at the population. Over 100k stopped playing on steam in the first week. Myself and others cite the DMR starts and TU as reasons why...
Whenever I see a 'tu sucks' thread, I cant help but think these guys only mad that they cant use armour lock for it's full duration. TU is superior to original in every way.
I actually like what they did to armor lock, I thought it was slightly OP before. But now the DMR is OP... I would take the armor change and dump everything else if possible.
I hate the DMR to begin with, it's like thats the only Weapon left in Multiplayer? Where is my beloved AR? And I don't like TU either, It does feel like the others are cheating, i shoot them first, right at the head, multiple times, yet they seem to be able to kill me with one single shot?
Lyk2 wrote:
I hate the DMR to begin with, it's like thats the only Weapon left in Multiplayer? Where is my beloved AR? And I don't like TU either, It does feel like the others are cheating, i shoot them first, right at the head, multiple times, yet they seem to be able to kill me with one single shot?
"It's like thats the only Weapon left in Multiplayer", Except you know the Needle Rifle, Needler, Plasma Pistol, Focus Rifle, Sword, Hammer, Fuel Rod, Plasma Launcher, Concussion Rifle, Laser, Rockets, Sniper Rifle, Shotgun, and Grenade launcher. Which leaves the AR, Repeater, and Magnum as the only outliers which if you noticed is only a small portion of the sandbox.

Obviously it would be nice if all weapons were viable, but this type of hyperbole does nothing to help your case. The DMR isn't "OP" just because a small portion of other weapons are underpowered.
The title update was literally for people who didn’t like just a handful of changes to the Halo formula (bloom, abilities and specifically armor lock and no shield bleedthrough) and wanted to play something more like previous titles. Basically people that hated Reach’s multiplayer. Being that Reach was the most current title, it guess it’s only fair that the classic players got a little something too.

Whoever applied the title update, be it 343 or Bungie I don’t know, but they had the wisdom to at least keep it in separate playlists and give players a choice. Because GOD I hate TU settings. Don’t mistake me, I loved Halo 1-3 just like everyone else, but the multiplayer was not my favorite until Reach. Thankfully I got to keep playing the game more or less as it was released for a long while.

Now that the MCC is out and is one of the current Halo titles with the most population, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to change anything about Reach. You don’t see me -Yoinking!- about how Halo CE, 2, 2 Anniversary OR 3 don’t have “this or that” to make it more like MY preferred experience. There’s like 4-5 other games in the MCC THAT DONT HAVE BLOOM. If you hate bloom so much, play one of the other ones! If you like abilities but you don’t want bloom, play 4! If you want Bleedthrough, or you don’t want sword blocking, it’s literally in every other Halo title on the MCC! It’s all on the same package! Which is all part of the current title! Those multiplayer experiences have been brought back more or less untouched, other than the polished graphics. Reach multiplayer has been brought back like a Frankenstein’s monster and I hate it. The least that could be done is have ONE non-TU playlist if nothing else.
I didn’t even use armor lock. Jet packer main here. The TU sucks. In fact, armor lock didn’t bother me neither before nor after the TU, it was all the other changes that sucked so hard.

Anytime I see someone defend the TU I can’t help but think they got stomped in Reach because they couldn’t time shots, got killed by teammates covering armor lockers, or got killed by somebody who managed to block their sword strike and now they wanna complain about it.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9