Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Was Halo 2 Aniversarry the best competitive halo?

OP CattyMusician

I have a theory that if halo 2 Aniversarry was released as a stand alone title. It would have been one of the most successful halo games if it had proper ranks and dedicated servers! I honestly absolutely loved the style and gameplay of H2A however the servers and lack of ranks made the game impossible to play.

With the legacy team at 343i working on mcc I am gonna be giving H2A the time it deserves! What do you all think?
I don't know about the best competitive game being that you could carry so many grenades but H2A was the best Halo ever made. It's sad it didn't get the proper respect it deserved. It really should have been a stand alone game with way multiplayer stuff.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
If H2A was a stand alone game and had a solid online service it would most definitely have been the most successful halo on the next gen console. Imagine if they had released H2A with...

1. H2A stand alone game with 75 achievements.
  2. Remastered campaign & Soundtrack
  3. Remastered multiplayer with 12 original halo 2 maps
  4. Halo 3 True Skill system. Halo Reach Credit/exp system.
  5. Ranked Playlists - Lone wolves : Team doubles : Team Slayer : Swat : Snipers : HCS
  6. Social Playlists - Rumble Pit : Action Sack : Social Slayer : Big Team Battle : Infection
  7. Every weekend they could introduce a double exp playlist.
  8. Forge with the option to make a map from scratch. Like a forge world.
  9. Theatre mode.
  10. Dedicated servers
With all of that if they had waited and not added all the ports down MCC and made H2A a stand alone title I am convinced it would be the best selling halo game on the next gen console!
Totally
If you mean I can 4 shot people 100% using my feet to aim against 'pro players' strafing as hard as possible. then yeah, its the best Halo title.
#JusticeForH2A

Honestly it would've probably been best if it was a stand alone title with both original and remastered multiplayers. Imagine how much more they could've done with it. Like adding a ranking system, full piece by piece armor customization with unlockables, daily challenges, and maybe perhaps other modes? You know, things that would make players feel like we're playing for more than just the nostalgia of old days. I hope this new mcc update brings more than just fixed bugs. But even then if it's fixed I'd be fine with just that, as long as the H2A community shows some growth. I'm just saying though, it took them this long to finally fix it, it would be nice if they give us more things to have fun with :/
No, The original Halo 2 was the best competitive Halo. The MLG tournaments were insane and the teams "Final Boss" and "Carbon" were the best
Uh, no? Have you never played CE or H2?

No, The original Halo 2 was the best competitive Halo. The MLG tournaments were insane and the teams "Final Boss" and "Carbon" were the best
Wrong. CE. H2 was the most competitive for 4v4. CE for 2v2, but also just overall. It's unrivaled.

Wrong. CE. H2 was the most competitive for 4v4. CE for 2v2, but also just overall. It's unrivaled.
The scene was hardly known in the CE days. Halo 2 was when everything picked up and EVERYONE was playing. Halo 2 was certainly the most cut throat in the way of competitiveness

The scene was hardly known in the CE days. Halo 2 was when everything picked up and EVERYONE was playing. Halo 2 was certainly the most cut throat in the way of competitiveness
...it really wasn't though. CE dwarfs any other Halo in terms of skill gap. Trust me. Ask any pro player who was around back then. Even some that weren't. I'm not necessarily talking about in terms of number of players playing or level of competition. Even though the Ogre Twins were literally unebeatable at CE, which is a testament to the skill gap. If we're talking about competition as far as teams though, then H3 trumps H2, as much as I hate to say it. Just look at all the teams and players making top 8s back then. And grand finals. From like '08 to '10. It was crazy. FB, Carbon, Str8, TD, Classic, Darkest Hour, Instinct, etc. MLG was SO entertaining back then.

Anyway, this is coming from someone who believed that H2 was the most competitive for like 12 years. I literally lived on H2 back on the day. Until I finally started playing CE 2v2s on MCC. And MCC CE isn't even the definitive version, but it's still more competitive/skillful. H2 will always be my personal favorite Halo game, but nothing compares to CE in that regard.

...it really wasn't though. CE dwarfs any other Halo in terms of skill gap. Trust me. Ask any pro player who was around back then. Even some that weren't. I'm not necessarily talking about in terms of number of players playing or level of competition. Even though the Ogre Twins were literally unebeatable at CE, which is a testament to the skill gap. If we're talking about competition as far as teams though, then H3 trumps H2, as much as I hate to say it. Just look at all the teams and players making top 8s back then. And grand finals. From like '08 to '10. It was crazy. FB, Carbon, Str8, TD, Classic, Darkest Hour, Instinct, etc. MLG was SO entertaining back then.

Anyway, this is coming from someone who believed that H2 was the most competitive for like 12 years. I literally lived on H2 back on the day. Until I finally started playing CE 2v2s on MCC. And MCC CE isn't even the definitive version, but it's still more competitive/skillful. H2 will always be my personal favorite Halo game, but nothing compares to CE in that regard.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and with that said, no one is "wrong". I think Halo 2 was the peak of the competitive. I've been playing Halo since I first played the demo on an original Xbox Kiosk, Summer 2001. I've been playing ever since and I've been a part of everything since then. CE had a strong scene as long as you had people willing to host a LAN party/event. Halo 2 exploded with the MLG Pro Curcuit. Halo 3 had a fairly strong scene but wasn't nearly as potent as Halo 2. Reach came out and everything tanked. Since then, the professional scene is barley a fraction of what it used to be and now that everything has to be done via online, HCS tournaments included, it's hard to have an event on a scale that Halo 2 was back in the mid 2000's
Great input by everyone. I hope that with this mcc update we can enjoy the multiplayer on mcc. Really looking forward to playing H2A with everyone! Maybe even have some online tournaments 👍

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and with that said, no one is "wrong". I think Halo 2 was the peak of the competitive. I've been playing Halo since I first played the demo on an original Xbox Kiosk, Summer 2001. I've been playing ever since and I've been a part of everything since then. CE had a strong scene as long as you had people willing to host a LAN party/event. Halo 2 exploded with the MLG Pro Curcuit. Halo 3 had a fairly strong scene but wasn't nearly as potent as Halo 2. Reach came out and everything tanked. Since then, the professional scene is barley a fraction of what it used to be and now that everything has to be done via online, HCS tournaments included, it's hard to have an event on a scale that Halo 2 was back in the mid 2000's
IMO Halo 1 is the best Halo game when analyzing it from a competitive merit standpoint. IMO Halo 1 has more competitive merit than Halo 2.
Halo 1 still has an active competitive grassroots scene that LANs Halo 1 but Halo 2 doesn't have a competitive grassroots scene that still LANs Halo 2. Most people that still play Halo 2 competitively only play the game online. You would think that the people that consider Halo 2 to be the best competitive Halo game would make an effort to still have Halo 2 LAN events like the competitive Halo 1 community does for Halo 1 but unfortunately they don't.

There's an annual week long Beach LAN event that takes place in Indian Rocks Beach, Florida. Beach LAN normally takes place around August every year.
There's also a semi-annual VA Beach LAN hosted by Devilman. Here's a link to all the game play videos from Devilman's recent VA Winter LAN that took place last month.

Besides the annual week long Florida Beach LAN event and Devilman's semi-annual VA Beach LAN there are other various Halo 1 LANs every year that take place in various locations in the US.

Agreed with CE being most skill based and competitive. H2 is a more teamwork based game and I think was the most competitive scene rather than H3. What is your gamer tag since you play MCC CE 2v2s? Also, Cloud7 always comes in with the best posts
xxcloud7xx wrote:

IMO Halo 1 is the best Halo game when analyzing it from a competitive merit standpoint. IMO Halo 1 has more competitive merit than Halo 2.
Halo 1 still has an active competitive grassroots scene that LANs Halo 1 but Halo 2 doesn't have a competitive grassroots scene that still LANs Halo 2. Most people that still play Halo 2 competitively only play the game online. You would think that the people that consider Halo 2 to be the best competitive Halo game would make an effort to still have Halo 2 LAN events like the competitive Halo 1 community does for Halo 1 but unfortunately they don't.

There's an annual week long Beach LAN event that takes place in Indian Rocks Beach, Florida. Beach LAN normally takes place around August every year.
There's also a semi-annual VA Beach LAN hosted by Devilman. Here's a link to all the game play videos from Devilman's recent VA Winter LAN that took place last month.

Besides the annual week long Florida Beach LAN event and Devilman's semi-annual VA Beach LAN there are other various Halo 1 LANs every year that take place in various locations in the US.
I can't argue with that! All solid points. I agree

Agreed with CE being most skill based and competitive. H2 is a more teamwork based game and I think was the most competitive scene rather than H3. What is your gamer tag since you play MCC CE 2v2s? Also, Cloud7 always comes in with the best posts
My username. I don't play CE customs though because of host disadvantage. Waiting for the patch. I love me some H2 customs though.