Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

What’s the point of ranks after 100? (No points!)

OP Geth Pathfinder

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
After getting 100 ranks, ranking up doesn’t grant season points. What’s the point of completing XP challenges at all after that? Literally the only way for me to unlock stuff is through challenges now. I thought challenges were going to allow more ways to unlock stuff not replace the standard ranks.
The same point all xp ranks...just to show how MCC or, what whatever particular game that has them, you have played. Hopefully the next season you can get a season point by completing challenges and leveling up.
They should add the possibility to earn 50 points, 1 per level (each season) and the rest with challenges because it's actually pointless earning a lot of experience through challenges if you don't earn anything else (most of the challenges only give you xp).
They should add the possibility to earn 50 points per level (each season) and the rest with challenges because it's actually pointless earning a lot of experience through challenges if you don't earn anything else (most of the challenges only give you xp).
Exactly. That’s my point. Why give XP when ranks mean nothing? The only people it helps are those who haven’t completed season 1 yet
Ranks are more for Bragging rights, like in must games, Ranking up is for talk nothing more. It also a way to know how long someone has been playing.
They should add the possibility to earn 50 points per level (each season) and the rest with challenges because it's actually pointless earning a lot of experience through challenges if you don't earn anything else (most of the challenges only give you xp).
Exactly. That’s my point. Why give XP when ranks mean nothing? The only people it helps are those who haven’t completed season 1 yet
Ranks are useful for intimidating the enemy team and making them quit before the game starts.
Ranks are useful for intimidating the enemy team and making them quit before the game starts.
I’m much more intimidated by competitive playlist ranks. I honestly can’t even tell what someone’s social rank is next to their profile since it’s just a symbol. Lots of people have played and played this game but still suck. I’m over 100 but lots of players who haven’t completed season 1 yet are better than me.
For me personally the best part of ranks is just being able to see how far I've come, how much xp I've earned, seeing a visual indication of just how much I've played the game. Cosmetics are mostly secondary to me, at least the CE cosmetics. Once I got all the Reach cosmetics I really stopped caring so much about season points.

With all that said, season point rewards are pretty cool, and now that Season 1 is over, stopping at 100 for leveling up seems pretty arbitrary. I mean, getting 100 points doesn't even necessarily mean that you completed one season since you can put them into either one you want. It kind of made sense during Season 1 when there were only 100 rewards and leveling up was the only way to get them but now it just seems dumb, especially since in the dev updates they made it seem like challenges were meant to supplement points on top of leveling up.
sparrow279 wrote:
For me personally the best part of ranks is just being able to see how far I've come, how much xp I've earned, seeing a visual indication of just how much I've played the game. Cosmetics are mostly secondary to me, at least the CE cosmetics. Once I got all the Reach cosmetics I really stopped caring so much about season points.

With all that said, season point rewards are pretty cool, and now that Season 1 is over, stopping at 100 for leveling up seems pretty arbitrary. I mean, getting 100 points doesn't even necessarily mean that you completed one season since you can put them into either one you want. It kind of made sense during Season 1 when there were only 100 rewards and leveling up was the only way to get them but now it just seems dumb, especially since in the dev updates they made it seem like challenges were meant to supplement points on top of leveling up.
Yeah. Why make challenges that are XP only if we can’t get any points from ranks? It would kind of make sense if all challenges granted points. Like if challenges were implemented as a replacement to levels. It seems to me that the challenges should have been in the game during season 1. I’ve lost the motivation to grind levels since there’s no pay off. Challenges are a nice goal though. Half of them became pointless as soon as I realized that levels don’t grant points. Also why isn’t your rank available on Halowaypoint? That would be a nice place to so off how much you’ve played.
My question is why does everything have to be rewarded? I don't get why some are like well I am not going to play if I don't get some sort of digital whatever for playing. Does any one play a game just for fun any more? 🙂
LethalQ wrote:
My question is why does everything have to be rewarded? I don't get why some are like well I am not going to play if I don't get some sort of digital whatever for playing. Does any one play a game just for fun any more? 🙂
Well I’ve been playing TMCC for 3 years without any rewards whatsoever. My point is why have ranks with no points? The purpose of ranks was to get points originally. If they’re going to drop points for ranks why not just cap the rank at 100? Then everyone can see if you maxed out your rank in season 1. Anything beyond that is a waste of time. My argument isn’t that we should be rewarded for everything. My argument is that many challenges feel useless and the rank system becomes totally pointless after 100.
Wait, are you saying that after hitting Sergeant First Class in Tier 8, you no longer get season points for ranking up? If so, are there even enough challenges in a season to unlock the 100 items? I apologize if this has already been covered before, but I just got back into the MCC this last week so this stuff is all new to me.
LethalQ wrote:
I know, I know, they are just videogames, but man, they're not fun anymore because of lag, very toxic community and a lot of bugs.
I'm ok with the first two, but the bugs, man, they're very annoying haha I lost all my challenges progression, that's frustrating, not fun.

You can see in the forums how many people are actually complaining about that hehe.

It's just sad how the Halo community is dying.
Wait, are you saying that after hitting Sergeant First Class in Tier 8, you no longer get season points for ranking up? If so, are there even enough challenges in a season to unlock the 100 items? I apologize if this has already been covered before, but I just got back into the MCC this last week so this stuff is all new to me.
I don’t remember the name of the ranks or anything. All I know is after reaching rank 10 in tier 10(100 total) you don’t get any points from ranking up. I thought that once season 2 came out we’d get points for ranking again but this is not the case. You can only get points from challenges but, luckily, there’s plenty of weekly PvP and PvE challenges that reset. For example: play a few social matches, competitive matches, and win a few games and you’ll be able to get 4 or 5 season points from those 3 challenge alone. Those reset every week. There’s plenty of other challenges too but some only grant XP(no season points). If you haven’t reached rank 100 the challenges can be useful, but to those of us who maxed out the first season, XP is useless since ranks no longer unlock points.
LethalQ wrote:
Well I’ve been playing TMCC for 3 years without any rewards whatsoever. My point is why have ranks with no points? The purpose of ranks was to get points originally. If they’re going to drop points for ranks why not just cap the rank at 100? Then everyone can see if you maxed out your rank in season 1. Anything beyond that is a waste of time. My argument isn’t that we should be rewarded for everything. My argument is that many challenges feel useless and the rank system becomes totally pointless after 100.
Season one was about leveling up...season two is about challenges... Hopefully season three will be both. Especially since I have already completed all the challenges so now I have to wait for the new weeklys to reset.
LethalQ wrote:
I know, I know, they are just videogames, but man, they're not fun anymore because of lag, very toxic community and a lot of bugs.
I'm ok with the first two, but the bugs, man, they're very annoying haha I lost all my challenges progression, that's frustrating, not fun.

You can see in the forums how many people are actually complaining about that hehe.

I haven't experienced to much lag at all in a long time... They seemed to have patched the progression reset bug and at least there was a work around for it... But yeah all the bugs is tough to put up with. Halo is still fun to play though. I play other games from time to time but always gravitate back to Halo.
I don’t remember the name of the ranks or anything. All I know is after reaching rank 10 in tier 10(100 total) you don’t get any points from ranking up. I thought that once season 2 came out we’d get points for ranking again but this is not the case. You can only get points from challenges but, luckily, there’s plenty of weekly PvP and PvE challenges that reset. For example: play a few social matches, competitive matches, and win a few games and you’ll be able to get 4 or 5 season points from those 3 challenge alone. Those reset every week. There’s plenty of other challenges too but some only grant XP(no season points). If you haven’t reached rank 100 the challenges can be useful, but to those of us who maxed out the first season, XP is useless since ranks no longer unlock points.
I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
LethalQ wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
Season one was about leveling up...season two is about challenges... Hopefully season three will be both. Especially since I have already completed all the challenges so now I have to wait for the new weeklys to reset.
LethalQ wrote:
I haven't experienced to much lag at all in a long time... They seemed to have patched the progression reset bug and at least there was a work around for it... But yeah all the bugs is tough to put up with. Halo is still fun to play though. I play other games from time to time but always gravitate back to Halo.
I may complain about a few annoyances in TMCC but this game is still 10x better than it was pre 2018. Before the patches and match composer was added. I still played this game back then but it is so much better now. I’ve always hated Halo 3 and now I’m actually enjoying it. Hit detection and sound effects are way better. Match composer is the best thing to ever get added. All 343i has to do is add Halo 4 customization (including the Champions bundle) and this game will be near perfect. Complaining about season 2 is honestly just a minor annoyance. I can’t actually believe we get skins in CE. It’s actually pretty cool.
LethalQ wrote:

I legitimately can't remember a time when people DIDN'T think the Halo community was dying. Reach adds sprint and gets dropped by MLG? Halo's dying. Halo 4 loses a big chunk of players a few months after launch? Halo's dying. MCC has a terrible launch? Halo's dying. Halo 5 is missing features at launch and has a bad campaign? Stick a fork in the whole franchise people, it's done.

People still play Halo everyday, both MCC and H5 are still popular on Xbox Live, whenever there's an info dump on the next game it gets tons of coverage, people still make videos, fanart, lore theories, etc. These days whenever anyone says something like "oh the series is dead, 343 doesn't care, Microsoft doesn't care, nobody's gonna be playing Halo in a couple years" it just seems really melodramatic to me. Maybe Halo's not as big of a deal as it used to be, but people still love it and care about it, and after all the ups and downs we've gone through (and the downs were about as bad as it gets) we still come back. Halo isn't dying, the community isn't dying, it's not like there's some heavy downward trend that it won't come back from, you can see a similar pattern with almost every other long-running game series, especially ones where the multiplayer aspect is such a huge part of the appeal.

As for bugs, yeah, it's annoying. It sucks when your game crashes during a mission, or when your challenges don't complete, or a match doesn't load, but it doesn't even come close to making it unplayable. Does anyone remember when Halo 2, a game now touted as one of the best, came out in 2004 and actually WAS unplayable for a lot of people? Point is, 343 has become a lot more transparent and active as far as supporting these games and fixing old bugs and new ones, so it's not even "dying" in the sense that the developer has abandoned it. If you had said that in 2017, then yeah, I'd totally agree with the assessment that it's looking like more and more of a lost cause. But honestly at this point, aside from releasing some miracle patch that just fixes everything at once, I don't see what else they could be doing. They've acknowledged the problems people have been pointing out and have made a measurable amount of progress towards improving the experience. Most of what hasn't been fixed yet has at least been acknowledged. Provided this pandemic doesn't kill us, I think we'll be fine.
As far as I can tell you still do get a season point from leveling up..? I'm somewhere in the silver set with no crossed swords tier of ranks and I seem to continue getting season points. Now, what will you do with them besides horde them until season 3 because season 2 is just cosmetics for a game that people don't tend to favor? That's a whole other story.
The new challenge system is amazing. Why do people need to complain about everything? Be grateful and enjoy life
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3