Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

What’s the point of ranks after 100? (No points!)

OP Geth Pathfinder

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
As far as I can tell you still do get a season point from leveling up..? I'm somewhere in the silver set with no crossed swords tier of ranks and I seem to continue getting season points. Now, what will you do with them besides horde them until season 3 because season 2 is just cosmetics for a game that people don't tend to favor? That's a whole other story.
Did you hit max rank in season 1 yet? You stop getting points after hitting rank 100. If you’re still unlocking Reach armor then you probably haven’t hit rank 100 unless you’ve been using your points on season 2 without completing season 1.

What will I do with them? Exactly what they’re for: I’ll unlock season 2 items faster. I actually love CE and I wish that it counted for the challenges. I was actually hoping I could start saving up and hoarding season points after completing season 1. I feel like I wasted my time grinding the last few level in season 1 because now I could be leveling up season 1 from ranks while simultaneously using challenges to unlock season 2.
Enroj wrote:
The new challenge system is amazing. Why do people need to complain about everything? Be grateful and enjoy life
I see no complaining except OP giving feedback to improve MCC a bit, levelling up is pointless right now when you complete Season 1 and only getting Season Points from challenges that are now being reported to sometimes not progressing after meeting the requirements
LethalQ wrote:
My question is why does everything have to be rewarded? I don't get why some are like well I am not going to play if I don't get some sort of digital whatever for playing. Does any one play a game just for fun any more? 🙂
Well I’ve been playing TMCC for 3 years without any rewards whatsoever. My point is why have ranks with no points? The purpose of ranks was to get points originally. If they’re going to drop points for ranks why not just cap the rank at 100? Then everyone can see if you maxed out your rank in season 1. Anything beyond that is a waste of time. My argument isn’t that we should be rewarded for everything. My argument is that many challenges feel useless and the rank system becomes totally pointless after 100.
i wouldnt mind unlocking calling cards for completing tours like tour 4 calling card will be silver with swords on the end
Enroj wrote:
The new challenge system is amazing. Why do people need to complain about everything? Be grateful and enjoy life
I do like the new challenge system apart from a few glitches such as some matches not counting. My main complaint here (as I’ve said multiple times) is that levels don’t unlock points after 100. I am grateful that 343i has done as much work as they have and have really brought this game to life while adding new content. I just think that many challenges feel kinda pointless to people who have already completed season 1.
sparrow279 wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
My question is why does everything have to be rewarded? I don't get why some are like well I am not going to play if I don't get some sort of digital whatever for playing. Does any one play a game just for fun any more? 🙂
I know, I know, they are just videogames, but man, they're not fun anymore because of lag, very toxic community and a lot of bugs.
I'm ok with the first two, but the bugs, man, they're very annoying haha I lost all my challenges progression, that's frustrating, not fun.

You can see in the forums how many people are actually complaining about that hehe.

It's just sad how the Halo community is dying.
I legitimately can't remember a time when people DIDN'T think the Halo community was dying. Reach adds sprint and gets dropped by MLG? Halo's dying. Halo 4 loses a big chunk of players a few months after launch? Halo's dying. MCC has a terrible launch? Halo's dying. Halo 5 is missing features at launch and has a bad campaign? Stick a fork in the whole franchise people, it's done.

People still play Halo everyday, both MCC and H5 are still popular on Xbox Live, whenever there's an info dump on the next game it gets tons of coverage, people still make videos, fanart, lore theories, etc. These days whenever anyone says something like "oh the series is dead, 343 doesn't care, Microsoft doesn't care, nobody's gonna be playing Halo in a couple years" it just seems really melodramatic to me. Maybe Halo's not as big of a deal as it used to be, but people still love it and care about it, and after all the ups and downs we've gone through (and the downs were about as bad as it gets) we still come back. Halo isn't dying, the community isn't dying, it's not like there's some heavy downward trend that it won't come back from, you can see a similar pattern with almost every other long-running game series, especially ones where the multiplayer aspect is such a huge part of the appeal.

As for bugs, yeah, it's annoying. It sucks when your game crashes during a mission, or when your challenges don't complete, or a match doesn't load, but it doesn't even come close to making it unplayable. Does anyone remember when Halo 2, a game now touted as one of the best, came out in 2004 and actually WAS unplayable for a lot of people? Point is, 343 has become a lot more transparent and active as far as supporting these games and fixing old bugs and new ones, so it's not even "dying" in the sense that the developer has abandoned it. If you had said that in 2017, then yeah, I'd totally agree with the assessment that it's looking like more and more of a lost cause. But honestly at this point, aside from releasing some miracle patch that just fixes everything at once, I don't see what else they could be doing. They've acknowledged the problems people have been pointing out and have made a measurable amount of progress towards improving the experience. Most of what hasn't been fixed yet has at least been acknowledged. Provided this pandemic doesn't kill us, I think we'll be fine.
Well said man. Well said. We need more people like you. Rather than jumping to negativity all the time. That's the problem with humans in general.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
For me its about thriving for either getting more XP points to get either that sweet nameplate or those cool colors for my visor or whatever. I already have all the Reach season unlocks, and now I'm looking forward to seeing what I can get with the season unlocks for this season.

I mean previous Halo games, all the ranks were were bragging rights to show off how much you played in Halo. And thats all it is until you have all the unlocks which is a certain rank before the max. Unlike in other shooters where the rank meant something where you unlock it for weapons, perks, ect. (Halo 4 had this but then disgarded in 5)
The point is that challenges make it so you come back for more season 2 unlocks each week. This helps keep the games player base up and gives us something to do. Plus many of us like to reach high ranks, and the challenge help with that. Plus, I think some players wanted to rank up with campaign challenges and now they can.

The point of a season is to have a reason to come back, something to do. I think it did many things right with how it was done on season 2.
Regice554 wrote:
The point is that challenges make it so you come back for more season 2 unlocks each week. This helps keep the games player base up and gives us something to do. Plus many of us like to reach high ranks, and the challenge help with that. Plus, I think some players wanted to rank up with campaign challenges and now they can.

The point of a season is to have a reason to come back, something to do. I think it did many things right with how it was done on season 2.
I feel like maybe you missed the point of my post. What’s the point of ranks when they don’t grant any season points? What’s the point of XP only challenges when ranks don’t grant anything? I’m not bashing on season 2, I’m confused why ranks cease to unlock any season points after the first 100 ranks(typically completed during season 1).

[I updated my forum post title since it might be confusing people. This issue is for people who have maxed out season 1 before starting season 2. The issue has more to do with ranks than season 2 specifically]
Ranks are more for Bragging rights, like in must games, Ranking up is for talk nothing more. It also a way to know how long someone has been playing.
Not really true since the ranks came out waaaaay too late. I have the most games played on MCC (37 000) and the highest game time (11 000 hours) and on "Center Shots", but I'm not even close to have the most XP. Although I get what you mean.
you have three games played in mcc
Regice554 wrote:

I feel like maybe you missed the point of my post. What’s the point of ranks when they don’t grant any season points? What’s the point of XP only challenges when ranks don’t grant anything? I’m not bashing on season 2, I’m confused why ranks cease to unlock any season points after the first 100 ranks(typically completed during season 1).
I think it's because the ranks get hard to increase, so the unlocks would be overly hard to get. However having points from it would totally help with new unlocks.

Plus I think some players just want to show off rank and feel left out because they only play campaign. I think it's a thing. But some of those players also wanted armor so we're right back to pointless exp.
Regice554 wrote:
Regice554 wrote:

I think it's because the ranks get hard to increase, so the unlocks would be overly hard to get. However having points from it would totally help with new unlocks.

Plus I think some players just want to show off rank and feel left out because they only play campaign. I think it's a thing. But some of those players also wanted armor so we're right back to pointless exp.
They do prestige every 30 ranks so it doesn’t get harder in an upward angle; though the tours do get just slightly more difficult each time. Still, how can granting seasonal points after rank 100(albeit a little slower) possibly hurt the game? To be clear I’m not saying challenges that grant seasonal points shouldn’t be in the game. My point is why not allow both options. As of now, challenges are the ONLY way for me to unlock anything and I completely ignore XP challenges.
Regice554 wrote:
Regice554 wrote:

They do prestige every 30 ranks so it doesn’t get harder in an upward angle; though the tours do get just slightly more difficult each time. Still, how can granting seasonal points after rank 100(albeit a little slower) possibly hurt the game? To be clear I’m not saying challenges that grant seasonal points shouldn’t be in the game. My point is why not allow both options. As if now challenges are the ONLY way for me to unlock anything and I completely ignore XP challenges.
I think it's for pacing, so season 2 or 3 you can't just have all the unlocks the first day because you saved up tons of unlock points. But, what you proposed dose work, we would just have more unlocks for higher ranks which they technically did earn.
Regice554 wrote:
Regice554 wrote:
Regice554 wrote:

I think it's for pacing, so season 2 or 3 you can't just have all the unlocks the first day because you saved up tons of unlock points. But, what you proposed dose work, we would just have more unlocks for higher ranks which they technically did earn.
I don’t really see a problem with people saving up their points. If you’re someone who has no life and maxed out season 1 in a month, why not allow that person to save up 50 points and drop them all at once on day 1 of season 2? It’s just cosmetic items and won’t give them an edge. Also if 343i wanted to prevent that, they could have implemented a temporary rank lock at 100. After reaching rank 100 and maxing out season 1, you can’t rank up until season 2.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, or post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Its just somethin to brag about. Never cared for ranks, just play for fun
They should add the possibility to earn 50 points per level (each season) and the rest with challenges because it's actually pointless earning a lot of experience through challenges if you don't earn anything else (most of the challenges only give you xp).
Exactly. That’s my point. Why give XP when ranks mean nothing? The only people it helps are those who haven’t completed season 1 yet
Funnily enough, I haven't completed season 1 yet. You can get up to 5 per challenge, have you actually completed them all or only a few?
Regice554 wrote:
Regice554 wrote:
Regice554 wrote:

I don’t really see a problem with people saving up their points. If you’re someone who has no life and maxed out season 1 in a month, why not allow that person to save up 50 points and drop them all at once on day 1 of season 2? It’s just cosmetic items and won’t give them an edge. Also if 343i wanted to prevent that, they could have implemented a temporary rank lock at 100. After reaching rank 100 and maxing out season 1, you can’t rank up until season 2.
A couple of issues here. Some complain about unlocks being too easy, and other too hard. And many want the cosmetic to have to be earned. The season 2 addresses some of those issues. And I think a bunch of us thought that we would have 100 points caried over from season 1. That was not the case and we have to play more. And personally I got mad at a few players that had all unlocks or at least the last 10 unlocks a week or two on season 2. Because I played since the update hit and got all unlock points only for someone to be ahead of me by several unlocks. I was working towards the odst legendary nameplate.

Oh and making a rank cap would also upset people who grind for rank, that's an entire part of the community they would have to alienate just for cosmetics.
Regice554 wrote:

[I updated my forum post title since it might be confusing people. This issue is for people who have maxed out season 1 before starting season 2. The issue has more to do with ranks than season 2 specifically]
This issue is for people who have maxed out season 1 before starting season 2

This is me. I'm not sure I understand how this has affected me. If I continue to play the game do I not progress through the same unlocks?
HC SOlO wrote:
Regice554 wrote:

This issue is for people who have maxed out season 1 before starting season 2

This is me. I'm not sure I understand how this has affected me. If I continue to play the game do I not progress through the same unlocks?
No, if you maxed out season 1 before season 2 then you at minimum have reached rank 100. NO season points are awarded for unlocking ranks past 100. Challenges that grant season points are the only way to unlock anything. This is the whole reason for me posting this forum
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3