Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

What’s your favorite variant of the Assault Rifle?

OP Ivan Drago3067

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
This is going across all the games in general. Mine is the Halo Reach one as far as aesthetics go.
As far as looks go, I prefer the Halo 3 assault rifle; but as far as practicality goes, I prefer the Halo: Combat Evolved/Anniversary assault rifle. There's just no arguing with something that can release an entire clip into a Flood combat form.
For aesthetics I have to second the Reach AR. It just looked and sounded right whereas most other ARs looked like toys. For gameplay though, my vote has to go for the CE AR. That thing didn't merely fire bullets. Its barrel was a portal to the bullet dimension whose sole purpose was filling every square inch of air full of as much hot lead as possible.
Aesthetically, I'd have to say the Halo 3 AR but gameplay wise, probably the Reach or Halo 4 version.
I like the look of the CE AR best. It looks like it’s made out of some high tech plastic and has that iconic silhouette.

I also think it’s functionally the best in both Campaign and multiplayer. In multiplayer it’s got that sweet melee range. It’s very satisfying when someone drops in on you thinking they’ll surprise you only to go from full shields to dead instantly from the double-melee combo.

In speedrunning I keep one in my pocket for a number of levels because sometimes I have to push enemies out of my way. I tend not to kill with it, only stun them and make them backpedal so that I have a hole.
The halo ce assault rifle is my favorite. High dps against unshielded enemies, and a huge mag size.
The MA5K oh wait.....

JK it's the Halo 4 MA5D, it's better than the Halo 5 version for some reason. (balancing I assume)
Game-play wise, it's Halo 5's by far.
Halo 3 for the looks. Nice and sleek, not as ridged as the other renditions. But gameplay, gotta go with the H2A one. Actually feels like it punches
Toss up between CE & H4 for looks. Halo 5's for functionality.
I can't say for Halo 5.

But I actually really like the "feel" to the Halo: Reach assault rifle, it feels ... heavy, if you get what I mean, I feel like it's going some good damage.

The original one from Combat Evolved felt too much like an SMG, sure it had a high ammo capacity but, eh ... I did find it useful against Flood Infection Forms though.

Halo 3's kind felt too light, like it wasn't doing much, even though apparently it does more damage than Reach's

Halo 4's was okay though.
Halo 4’s is my favorite. I love the sound effects of it and how it looks in H4. Halo 3’s AR sounded like a silenced BB gun. In terms of functionality: Halo CE, 3, and 4 kill in 16 rounds. However, H4’s is slightly more accurate than 3’s and CE’s AR has a higher rate of fire. Reach’s AR is the weakest, as it kills in 19. Reach’s AR sounded better than 3’s but it just didn’t hold up in gameplay.
Rated in terms of functionality:

1. Halo CE
2. Halo 4
3. Halo 3
4. Halo Reach

I’m not covering Halo 5 because I didn’t do any practice with its weapons due to the lack of split screen. In addition, H5 updated constantly, making any comparison outdated. I have actually tried each AR in split screen to test the damage in Halos CE-4.
Slightly cheating, as it wasn't in the original game, but I like the Halo 2: Anniversary version best. My least favourite is Halo 3's, because it feels weak to use.
Halo CE/Anniversary is the best for me, I think is the strongest of all the series, and also have more bullets than other games. God, this weapon is powerful, I love it.
H2A for looks and sounds...H5 for function.... The perfect AR would be the H2A that can zoom in like the H5 version.
For me personally it’s Reach all the way, both in aesthetics and functionality :)
My favourite is this one. Especially with the Prime Skin.

First Halo I played where you can kill another Spartan with less than a full clip.
I forget if H2 has an AR or not but Halo 3 has the best one aesthetically, and gameplay is probably CE

First Halo I played where you can kill another Spartan with less than a full clip.
I think that’s the Halo 4 assault rifle (could just be me not knowing) so I don’t really know what you’re talking about, CE has the only AR you can do that with.

I think that’s the Halo 4 assault rifle (could just be me not knowing) so I don’t really know what you’re talking about, CE has the only AR you can do that with.
Halo 4 one is it.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2