Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection

What causes the Halo 2 br to be inconsistent?

OP tigerninja1226

The high auto aim and bullet magnetism in h2 make it sound like 4 shots should be easy...on paper.

In practice, 4 shots seem quite rare, even when the reticle is red with the dot that signifies that your shot will hit the head. Watching good players like Mint Blitz, you can see that they often use button combos (like double shooting or BXRing) or even grenade spam to make up for the lack of damage.

The question is, why are perfect kills seemingly so hard to get. I have heard that h2, in order to compensate for the bullet magnetism, will add a sub-1.0 damage multiplier to shots that are slightly off-center of the target.

Is there any other reason for the inconsistency? And how does a good player circumvent these limitations?
The reason is because MCC’s Halo 2 is Halo 2 Vista and not the OG Halo 2.
What are the differences? What did Vista mess up to screw with the hit reg?
No it didn’t
All the physics are kinda weird. The sword doesn't always one-hit-kill, the gauss Hog / Scorpion reg is garbage; vehicles in general are wacky. & there's surely more
I mean frankly the issue at some level here just comes down to age and how performance portable the original Halo 2 code was designed to be. Given the immense crunch Bungie had for the game the answer is unfortunately: probably not very. Just because you're running on newer hardware doesn't always mean your code is running better/faster. It can actually introduce many more errors - especially if increased parallelisation is involved (-i.e. hardware using multiple computer cores - likely given that IIRC original Xbox was a single core machine based on Pentium III and dual-core personal computing wasn't really a thing until fairly close to H2V's release.

Sadly there were a lot of very poor software practices even in commercial software in the days of single-core personal computing because people never thought they'd need to write parallel programs.
MorseyBaby wrote:
I mean frankly the issue at some level here just comes down to age and how performance portable the original Halo 2 code was designed to be. Given the immense crunch Bungie had for the game the answer is unfortunately: probably not very. Just because you're running on newer hardware doesn't always mean your code is running better/faster. It can actually introduce many more errors - especially if increased parallelisation is involved (-i.e. hardware using multiple computer cores - likely given that IIRC original Xbox was a single core machine based on Pentium III and dual-core personal computing wasn't really a thing until fairly close to H2V's release.

Sadly there were a lot of very poor software practices even in commercial software in the days of single-core personal computing because people never thought they'd need to write parallel programs.
This. The game is basically held together by scotch tape. There is a reason why you don't see too many crazy mods for it like the other Halos. Even 3 and Reach have campaign overhauls but 2 is just to delicate to mess with too much.

343 have even gone on record stating as such, hence why the lack of added content in MCC.
MorseyBaby wrote:

This. The game is basically held together by scotch tape. There is a reason why you don't see too many crazy mods for it like the other Halos. Even 3 and Reach have campaign overhauls but 2 is just to delicate to mess with too much.

343 have even gone on record stating as such, hence why the lack of added content in MCC.
It's kinda sad in many ways, but likewise short of rewriting everything from total scratch... there's not much you can do