Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

what do you think about mcc mods on xbox

OP AnNoYiNgSoUnDXx

With Mod support comming to pc there is a valid question to ask if mods being portet to xbox may be a thing ( or mod devs being suplied with the tools to cereate some mods ).
we already saw various mods with even some very good ones being made for og xbox and x360 for the halo series. and on pc there is since halo custom edition a dedicated modding community wich spawned many mods and custom maps wich are awsome. and seeing that soem games already have mods on console ( bethesda comes to my mind ) it can happen.

I for my part hope that it will be happening. i hope for a simple and easy mod browser where we could search and install similar to steam workshop various mods. Of course i understand there are some things that would need to be done to make this work but it is doable.
or just imagine how awsome it would be if the devs put some customaps from ce into matchmaking or have like mod playlists. For example think maybe the weaponsandbox fo spv 3 being used for an online match.
If the MCC does get modding tools, all I want is a mod that can spawn AI into the game. Marines, Covenant, Forerunner, Flood. The Forge community would be able to create even more outstanding maps, and the machinima community would have plenty more opportunities for great content.
Just as long as it has does not affect matchmaking in any way (other then custom maps) I'm all for it. I am old enough to remember actual cheaters flying around on Halo Reach one shotting everything with and automatic DMR that fired sniper bullets. That is the only thing that worries me about have mod support coming to MCC and other games becasue it makes it easier for people to do that nonsense.
Unpopular opinion here, but I say keep the mods out. Keep that stuff on PC, and let console MCC remain console MCC.
Unpopular opinion here, but I say keep the mods out. Keep that stuff on PC, and let console MCC remain console MCC.
I'm inclined to agree, skulls act as a soft version of controlled modding for console that is completely tied to the campaign portion of the game. so if the devs want to invest time and resources into more fun skull ideas and features I'm all for it but I think that skull activations menu should be the limit or scope for any future console mods.

This post has been hidden.

0
Unpopular opinion here, but I say keep the mods out. Keep that stuff on PC, and let console MCC remain console MCC.
Why though? I don't see why including optional community made mods would negatively effect anyone else's experience.

Just as long as it has does not affect matchmaking in any way (other then custom maps) I'm all for it. I am old enough to remember actual cheaters flying around on Halo Reach one shotting everything with and automatic DMR that fired sniper bullets. That is the only thing that worries me about have mod support come to MCC and other games becasue it makes it easier for people to do that nonsense.
Well, they would probably be controlled mods that only effect particular parts of the game. It would be similar to how turning on the Scarab skull in Halo 2 only effects Halo 2 campaign, and isn't something you can just bring into matchmaking.
My concerns are numerous

  1. More options = more player base fragmentation. More fragmentation = longer matchmaking times
  2. Mods can’t be made on the Xbox, they have to be done on a PC, so you need a mechanism to publish from PC to Xbox. 343 then needs to make sure this mechanism isn’t exploited for malicious purposes
  3. Related to the above, 343 needs to protect the client side code in console matchmaking from being modded by the mechanism in #2
  4. Also related to #2 above, there needs to be a way to make sure all players have the same mods active on their local machine before they can play together. This isn’t something console players are used to dealing with
  5. There are concerns around making sure available mods are all compatible with each other, or else players can inadvertently break their game.
TLDR mods are complicated. Consoles are simple.
I feel Juggernaut Floods in halo 2 and Halo CE SPV 3 would be great mods for Halo MCC
x N7 117 x wrote:
If the MCC does get modding tools, all I want is a mod that can spawn AI into the game. Marines, Covenant, Forerunner, Flood. The Forge community would be able to create even more outstanding maps, and the machinima community would have plenty more opportunities for great content.
This would be great however Bungie back in the day hated modding and modders so this could very well not happen depending on how 343i feel about the matter but it would be cool
tonic bom wrote:
x N7 117 x wrote:
If the MCC does get modding tools, all I want is a mod that can spawn AI into the game. Marines, Covenant, Forerunner, Flood. The Forge community would be able to create even more outstanding maps, and the machinima community would have plenty more opportunities for great content.
This would be great however Bungie back in the day hated modding and modders so this could very well not happen depending on how 343i feel about the matter but it would be cool
In my personal opinion, as long as the mods aren't used for cheating or malicious purposes and are enabled in a controlled environment ie Forge, Campaign, Custom Games, then I think developers should embrace mods as it ensures a longer life span for the game.
x N7 117 x wrote:
tonic bom wrote:
x N7 117 x wrote:
If the MCC does get modding tools, all I want is a mod that can spawn AI into the game. Marines, Covenant, Forerunner, Flood. The Forge community would be able to create even more outstanding maps, and the machinima community would have plenty more opportunities for great content.
This would be great however Bungie back in the day hated modding and modders so this could very well not happen depending on how 343i feel about the matter but it would be cool
In my personal opinion, as long as the mods aren't used for cheating or malicious purposes and are enabled in a controlled environment ie Forge, Campaign, Custom Games, then I think developers should embrace mods as it ensures a longer life span for the game.
Yh well said friend im not disagreeing with you at all I'm just saying the possibility I don't think would be high but if they did it wouldn't be a bad idea at all!!
tonic bom wrote:
x N7 117 x wrote:
tonic bom wrote:
x N7 117 x wrote:
If the MCC does get modding tools, all I want is a mod that can spawn AI into the game. Marines, Covenant, Forerunner, Flood. The Forge community would be able to create even more outstanding maps, and the machinima community would have plenty more opportunities for great content.
This would be great however Bungie back in the day hated modding and modders so this could very well not happen depending on how 343i feel about the matter but it would be cool
In my personal opinion, as long as the mods aren't used for cheating or malicious purposes and are enabled in a controlled environment ie Forge, Campaign, Custom Games, then I think developers should embrace mods as it ensures a longer life span for the game.
Yh well said friend im not disagreeing with you at all I'm just saying the possibility I don't think would be high but if they did it wouldn't be a bad idea at all!!
I just don't see why Bungie would be so against it. I mean, people have been modding Halo games since the days of Halo: Combat Evolved. Granted, when it came to Halo 2 and its sequels the modding was mainly used for cheating purposes, but then all they had to do was look at how popular Halo: Custom Edition was and still is to this day. When it comes down to it, I just hope that 343i takes a close look at how popular Halo: Custom Edition is and that they take a leaf out of Bethesda's book. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim was pretty much a dead game on console (God knows that stick must be extremely bloody after the amount of whacks the dead horse got), but then they brought mods to the console version and breathed new life into the game.
x N7 117 x wrote:
tonic bom wrote:
x N7 117 x wrote:
tonic bom wrote:
x N7 117 x wrote:
If the MCC does get modding tools, all I want is a mod that can spawn AI into the game. Marines, Covenant, Forerunner, Flood. The Forge community would be able to create even more outstanding maps, and the machinima community would have plenty more opportunities for great content.
This would be great however Bungie back in the day hated modding and modders so this could very well not happen depending on how 343i feel about the matter but it would be cool
In my personal opinion, as long as the mods aren't used for cheating or malicious purposes and are enabled in a controlled environment ie Forge, Campaign, Custom Games, then I think developers should embrace mods as it ensures a longer life span for the game.
Yh well said friend im not disagreeing with you at all I'm just saying the possibility I don't think would be high but if they did it wouldn't be a bad idea at all!!
I just don't see why Bungie would be so against it. I mean, people have been modding Halo games since the days of Halo: Combat Evolved. Granted, when it came to Halo 2 and its sequels the modding was mainly used for cheating purposes, but then all they had to do was look at how popular Halo: Custom Edition was and still is to this day. When it comes down to it, I just hope that 343i takes a close look at how popular Halo: Custom Edition is and that they take a leaf out of Bethesda's book. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim was pretty much a dead game on console (God knows that stick must be extremely bloody after the amount of whacks the dead horse got), but then they brought mods to the console version and breathed new life into the game.
Going back to H3 with mods I have played some maps which had mods and they quickly got banned same with H2. Yes I completely agree with what your saying and yes Skyrim did get life put back into it but I feel Halo doesn't need life it's brilliant and the games are still so popular so many people still do LAN parties and God knows what, the games aren't dead.
I think mods would be great for new campaign experiences and fire fight. In regards to multiplayer... I'm not so sure.
My concerns are numerous

  1. More options = more player base fragmentation. More fragmentation = longer matchmaking times
  2. Mods can’t be made on the Xbox, they have to be done on a PC, so you need a mechanism to publish from PC to Xbox. 343 then needs to make sure this mechanism isn’t exploited for malicious purposes
  3. Related to the above, 343 needs to protect the client side code in console matchmaking from being modded by the mechanism in #2
  4. Also related to #2 above, there needs to be a way to make sure all players have the same mods active on their local machine before they can play together. This isn’t something console players are used to dealing with
  5. There are concerns around making sure available mods are all compatible with each other, or else players can inadvertently break their game.
TLDR mods are complicated. Consoles are simple.
This is a bit late, as I haven't checked this thread in over a week, but I'd like to address some of the concerns you've listed. I'll refer to them by the numbers you've listed them under.
  1. While I would agree in regards to the "mod playlist" idea that OP mentioned (I don't personally support that idea), if multiplayer mods are made available, they'll almost certainly be for Custom Games only. Remember, 343 is adding a custom games browser to MCC eventually. I imagine that would effect playlist populations more than mods would, but it's happening. Ultimately I think when players want a competitive experience, they'll go for ranked matchmaking. When they want a more casual multiplayer experience, they'll go for either the Match Composer or the soon to be added Custom Games Browser. When they want PVE, they'll go for Campaign, Firefight, or Spartan Ops. In my view, having optional mods available as extensions of existing parts of the game is unlikely to effect whether a player is in the mood to play those parts of the game to begin with.
  2. There are games that already do this, such as Fallout 4 and Skyrim. In those games, the developer determines what mods from PC are available in the console mod browser. As for potential exploits, just make sure mods are separate from matchmaking or anything that grants Achievements, XP, or Season Points (in the new progession system coming with Reach). For instance, the campaigns would be moddable, but those would effectively create separate builds of the campaigns from the official ones that you can unlock achievements from.
  3. I would basically give the same response from the previous paragraph, but only add that anti-cheat measures are something that are already being implemented on PC.
  4. This wouldn't be so different from if a player lacks the proper DLC in a game. In MCC for instance, if you don't have ODST, then you can't play ODST co-op with someone that does. The game would just check if all players have the same mods activated as the party leader.
  5. Other console games that allow mods manage to deal with this issue. 343 probably wouldn't feature mods in the browser that effect the menu UI, so if the game crashes when certain mods are used together, players can just load up MCC again and figure out a combination that doesn't crash the game. MCC crashes right now sometimes, as do other games. It doesn't permanently damage anything. They can just display a message when you open the mod browser that tells players that certain mods may not work as intended.
To reiterate, I don't believe that mods being made available on console (if implemented correctly) will negatively effect anyone's experience. Those who want to try them out can do so, and those who don't can ignore them. I should also note that community created mods can give a game almost infinite longevity. Halo Custom Edition has been completely sustained by it's community for more than a decade, with no official developer support whatsoever. If lots of cool mods come to MCC on PC, and console players are completely left out, that could convince some console players to migrate to PC over time, further shrinking the Xbox player-base.

My point is that although there are challenges and technical hurdles associated with making mods available on console, mod support is ultimately a good thing for MCC, and a good thing for Halo, on both console and PC. It's healthy for the game's longevity, and helps foster a sense of community, just like all user-made content in Halo, from Custom Games and Forge maps, to screenshots and Theater clips. The community helps keep Halo alive, and mods can help keep the community alive.
jmandude15 wrote:
My point is that although there are challenges and technical hurdles associated with making mods available on console, mod support is ultimately a good thing for MCC, and a good thing for Halo, on both console and PC. It's healthy for the game's longevity, and helps foster a sense of community, just like all user-made content in Halo, from Custom Games and Forge maps, to screenshots and Theater clips. The community helps keep Halo alive, and mods can help keep the community alive.
Nailed it.
Unpopular opinion here, but I say keep the mods out. Keep that stuff on PC, and let console MCC remain console MCC.
I second that BUT I feel that mods should have an outlet on Xbox. Enforce strict rules that all mods are to be kept within Campaign, Forge, and Custom Games ONLY! The moment a mod joins in a matchmaking game will result in an immediate ban of the account and/or Xbox console. 343 could take it one step further and take a page from EA/Respawn's playbook and force cheaters/hackers to play against each other. There would only be one playlist that would allow them to still play online but it would be against other cheaters/modders.

I think that's fair. It would also allow oversight on the mods to keep an eye on what might creep into matchmaking.