Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection

What Happened to Matchmaking?

OP tigerninja1226

Not hear to just *yoink* and moan, this is a problem I haven't seen many people talk about.

It is worth noting that I primarily search solo. Not sure how much that might skew my experience.

The matchmaking system has been a problem since 2017, when 343 said they were going to "fix" the mcc.

However, in every Playlist in the game, the games are all incredibly sweaty and playing against teams or high-level players are common place. Even in action sack.

For example:
>BTB is infested with teams of 8 that WILL relentlessly spawn trap you.
>4v4 has similar issues, but with less vehicle spam, of course.
>Even in action sack modes like ricochet, there are full teams.
>Teams in general feel unbalanced most of the time

Oh, and of course ranked is dead. (literally, even after 5-10 min or searching I can't find a game)
So it seems like I can't search for people on my skill level even if I wanted to.

This occurred back in 2014-2016, but was mainly restricted to ranked Playlists. You could actually search social TS or action sack and have fun games.

So could someone explain what happened? This change wasn't even gradual, I remember logging on when the initial updates started, and being matched into full-team btb matches. I've heard about SBMM being in this game, could that be why? The new content 343 has added is great, but what is the point if the MM system renders the multiplayer into an extremely unfun experience?
I've heard about SBMM being in this game, could that be why?
If you are getting relentlessly spawn killed it’s more likely the lack of SBMM. The population isn’t very large especially in regions outside of the USA, and in order to find matches faster in social the SBMM parameters quickly drop off. It’s also worth noting there are no party restrictions in social, otherwise full teams of 8 would never find matches. I don’t think any of this has really changed since launch.

I usually search with a group of 4-6 friends in Reach BTB and the matches are decently balanced. Been on a bit of a losing streak, but nothing that I couldn’t at least have fun in. I did search BTB H3 last week and we matched against a stack of 6 or 7 Diamond tour players and lost 100-27. The map was also pretty crap, but it was probably the largest loss deficit I’ve experienced in quite a while.

I think what best explains your experience is the low population and the ability for high level players to group together against randoms. Should stricter SBMM be implemented it would be very unlikely for high skill teams to ever find a game.
If you are getting relentlessly spawn killed it’s more likely the lack of SBMM. The population isn’t very large especially in regions outside of the USA, and in order to find matches faster in social the SBMM parameters quickly drop off. It’s also worth noting there are no party restrictions in social, otherwise full teams of 8 would never find matches. I don’t think any of this has really changed since launch.

I usually search with a group of 4-6 friends in Reach BTB and the matches are decently balanced. Been on a bit of a losing streak, but nothing that I couldn’t at least have fun in. I did search BTB H3 last week and we matched against a stack of 6 or 7 Diamond tour players and lost 100-27. The map was also pretty crap, but it was probably the largest loss deficit I’ve experienced in quite a while.

I think what best explains your experience is the low population and the ability for high level players to group together against randoms. Should stricter SBMM be implemented it would be very unlikely for high skill teams to ever find a game.
I see. That is quite a dilemma. What do you think a good fix is? Obviously there is only so much we can do with a low population, but is there any kind of "band-aid" fix you can think of. The closest I can think of is to release the server browser sooner. The low population is kind of like a catch 22 in way: Repopulating the game would improve the experience, but it's current state makes me apprehensive to recommend it to people, which makes me sad.

One more question, why does ranked in particular seem to have such a low population. Of course, people who play ranked are only a portion of the community, but as stated before, the search times feel exceptionally long. I know the party matching can mess with the times, could that be it? Okay, that was more than one question, but you get the idea.
Social needs team matching.
Social needs team matching.
If the population was big enough sure but it isn’t.

Cant blame people for wanting to go in as a group with friends. That way I don’t have to deal with team killers, or people being idol.

is there any kind of "band-aid" fix you can think of.

One more question, why does ranked in particular seem to have such a low population. Of course, people who play ranked are only a portion of the community, but as stated before, the search times feel exceptionally long. I know the party matching can mess with the times, could that be it? Okay, that was more than one question, but you get the idea.
I agree with you, the best scenario is to release the customs browser. Social matchmaking is fun if you want more standardized experiences and care about leveling up your tour rank which gets slightly tedious. Even more whacky modes in social can leave salty tastes in players mouths when all they want is to relax.

Folks don't play ranked because very few players want to play close or "sweaty" matches. It's also doubly frustrating to actively try to rank up when you have less than stellar teammates. The SBMM is also pretty strict in ranked meaning you will have to wait until the game can find a team of about equally skilled players. I imagine if you are at the top, it is unlikely there will be other players in your bracket.
It’s as simple as this, the game is at its end of life and has a VERY low population.

the remaining player base of games at this sort of stage of life, typically are the more veteran/skilled players. That Doesn’t mean there aren’t lower skill players, but it’s going to skew towards sweaty matches in all matchmaking. There’s really nothing that can be done about this.

halo is kinda at an all time low in interest and popularity.
The customs browser is coming for season 6 n should make this issue better.
NoBagNebby wrote:
The customs browser is coming for season 6 n should make this issue better.
But still, that ain't matchmaking. It's literally playing custom games. You won't get XP for that.
Not hear to just *yoink* and moan, this is a problem I haven't seen many people talk about.

It is worth noting that I primarily search solo. Not sure how much that might skew my experience.

The matchmaking system has been a problem since 2017, when 343 said they were going to "fix" the mcc.

However, in every Playlist in the game, the games are all incredibly sweaty and playing against teams or high-level players are common place. Even in action sack.

For example:
>BTB is infested with teams of 8 that WILL relentlessly spawn trap you.
>4v4 has similar issues, but with less vehicle spam, of course.
>Even in action sack modes like ricochet, there are full teams.
>Teams in general feel unbalanced most of the time

Oh, and of course ranked is dead. (literally, even after 5-10 min or searching I can't find a game)
So it seems like I can't search for people on my skill level even if I wanted to.

This occurred back in 2014-2016, but was mainly restricted to ranked Playlists. You could actually search social TS or action sack and have fun games.

So could someone explain what happened? This change wasn't even gradual, I remember logging on when the initial updates started, and being matched into full-team btb matches. I've heard about SBMM being in this game, could that be why? The new content 343 has added is great, but what is the point if the MM system renders the multiplayer into an extremely unfun experience?
Well firstly population has gone down in recent years so mostly only experienced Halo gamers are mostly playing plus 343i refuse to do anything with the spawn killers that will probably never be dealt with and little is being done about the afk problem so I guess players are getting tired of it and the long wait times are most likely putting off gamers. I think the problem is 343i's lack of interest in dealing with the issues I mentioned and the decline of Halo as a whole that has hurt the population and 343i just don't seem to care about dealing with the complaints about the spawn camping. I like that there adding new content but the issues I've mentioned kind of feel like there un-doing the good things there doing and I'm finding it difficult to motivate myself to get back to playing Halo and I'm sure custom games browser may end up hurting the online matchmaking more but not sure yet. I'm still not sure why they haven't even had a 'team up' option for players wanting to continue playing with previous team to make matchmaking faster.
Don't even bother with ranked, it´s also broken. The same issues persist.

I doubt 343 is going to do something about it, especially if the player count is as low as people say it is. To be honest, I doubt the player count is really low, but even if it isn't that low, adding a more restrict MM would increase queue times, something that they are probably trying to avoid. I'd say ranked is dead due to it not being special at all. Everything that ranked has, social has it too, but with a bigger player base. If 343 made ranked more attractive by making more special challenges or by making matches give more XP, maybe more people would play it. So, if you want fair matches play FFA.