Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

What so special about Map control?

OP BlueishCone9161

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I honestly get annoyed when i run into a game and theres people who just sit in the middle of the map and just kill me whenever i move and thats just social mathmaking but people in general just enjoy the concept of map control
git gud
Well i could but i have n actual life so i cant really get that good and spend an entire all nighter weekend of just getting good

Map control adds a layer of skill and rewards proper map controlling
So pretty much in my vision another way of spawn killing but people allow it you cant do that much and in some map It SCREAMS map control which sucks. People who just do map control preffer playing map control maps and hate maps were theres no map control

Then why do you play halo
I like halo's multyplayer and its fun unlike cod were its mostly bs buuuut i could just be saying im bad at cod but oh well point is im not going to quit a game over some dumb thing that player love doing how i see map control you just like spawn killing and you are useless without it or you cant get that much kills without power weapons but if you are good and can get kills WIth stock weapons your just a word that shall not be said because it will get tagged

Do people agree wih me or feel a different way with map control or just praise map control which in my vision is a noob gamer move.
Would you call it a "noob gamer move" if it was your team controlling the map? Would you dislike your team if they did? Would you consider it a hollow victory for using tactics you dislike?
Quote:
Map control adds a layer of skill and rewards proper map controlling
I think you thoroughly answered your question. Halo's MP is deeper than simply aiming and shooting. Being good at aiming and shooting is just one part of being good at Halo as a whole. If you don't understand the map you are playing on, what differentiates one map from another beyond the pretty scenery?
Map control is your reason for moving around. Fights at regular intervals on power weapon spawns, it increases the pace of the game. Being able to go deep into the enemy base and get spawn kills rewards movement. Without map control, without a reason to move, the game would be a camp fest. Crouching corners, sneaking around. Is that how you expect people to play?
In a even game, you can have map control setups, but also have teams breaking a map control setup and then making their own and so forth. It's usually the mismatched games where one team is spawn killing for an extended period of time. You can also have a life and be good at the game.
Cause having map control is like Obi Wan Kenobi having the high ground, it’s the best way to achieve a victory of over your opponent
Are you the same person who said bumper jumper is bad?
Map control offers you the most advantage when looking around for opponents. If you and your teammates can lockdown key locations then you will have such advantages like cover, teammate sight lines for team shotting, or power weapon spawn control. It’s not impossible to break map control (unless your teammates quit) you just have to play it smart. No matter how you design a map, there will always be map control it would be like -Yoinking!- about acceleration in a driving game. It will always exist there is no way to remove it from Halo unless you change the genre Halo exists in. Even in CoD there are places on the map that offer better advantages than others. Map control is embedded in the DNA of Halo, you either try to understand or ignore it. It’s not hard to understand there are plenty of guides that can help you out.

Construct for example, map control for this map relies heavily on controlling the top portion of the map. 1 player at each purple lift, 1 player in the sword/sniper platform, and the last player can really be placed anywhere to either support the other players or act as an X-factor. Benefits of controlling top include easy cover when battling against players from the lower level. All you have to do is walk away from the edge. Other benefits include easy access to sniper, sword, and bubble shield. I can list the pros vs cons of construct map control, but even if you make a box of a map there will always be map control. Some parts of the box will have better sightlines of spawns than others.
It takes knowledge of the map, weapons spawns and advantageous utilization of both weapons and locations. A good team who practices map control doesn't sit in 1 spot like your implications, yes there are people who camp power weapons spawns and to that yeah thats a noob move and NOT map control that is someone who doesn't know strategy or rotation and will set up shop by a sniper or rocket launcher, and to that I will say it works. But people with experience with the game will learn the call outs and rotate the map in attempts to deny assets and get an advantage on the other team.

Let me ask you this did the British call the American rebels noobs and cowards for their guerrilla tactics? Maybe, but did America not strategically use the land and their knowledge of the surroundings to not only get an upper hand but push the Empire out of the states?
Map control is an integral part of arena shooters. Frankly it’s a pillar of arena gameplay. Halo does differ significantly from the OG Arena shooters like quake and unreal as it is intentionally slower paced, tactical and team oriented.

however, map control and of course weapon spawns are a key aspect of those games and halo. It combines competitive strategy with a player’s individual mechanical skill. Honestly this is a case where “git gud and adapt” is a reasonable response. Regardless of halo’s meta, you can’t honestly expect wandering aimlessly around a map to result in success in any game really.

I would add though some maps can be poorly balanced that results in map control being too easily acquired and maintained. I do not believe it should be something easily achieved given relatively equally talented players on both teams. it shouldn’t be too cheesy. Examples of poor balance I think would be halo 3’s stand-off in any non-swat/sniper slayer variant and narrows on swat/snipers.
x N7 117 x wrote:
Would you call it a "noob gamer move" if it was your team controlling the map? Would you dislike your team if they did? Would you consider it a hollow victory for using tactics you dislike?
yes i would because it feel like im doing nothing and just letting my team doing the work
Map control is your reason for moving around. Fights at regular intervals on power weapon spawns, it increases the pace of the game. Being able to go deep into the enemy base and get spawn kills rewards movement. Without map control, without a reason to move, the game would be a camp fest. Crouching corners, sneaking around. Is that how you expect people to play?
you do have a valid point mabey im just salty when i just die by a guy map controlling me and abusing power weapons but then again it feels like im being spawn killed
Enroj wrote:
Are you the same person who said bumper jumper is bad?
what is that supposed to mean again......I dont even use bumper jumper nor hate anyone that uses it
SENCHIEF10 wrote:
Map control is an integral part of arena shooters. Frankly it’s a pillar of arena gameplay. Halo does differ significantly from the OG Arena shooters like quake and unreal as it is intentionally slower paced, tactical and team oriented.

however, map control and of course weapon spawns are a key aspect of those games and halo. It combines competitive strategy with a player’s individual mechanical skill. Honestly this is a case where “git gud and adapt” is a reasonable response. Regardless of halo’s meta, you can’t honestly expect wandering aimlessly around a map to result in success in any game really.

I would add though some maps can be poorly balanced that results in map control being too easily acquired and maintained. I do not believe it should be something easily achieved given relatively equally talented players on both teams. it shouldn’t be too cheesy. Examples of poor balance I think would be halo 3’s stand-off in any non-swat/sniper slayer variant and narrows on swat/snipers.
Map control after reading all of thease replies somewhat starting to make sense in my head but i just get this gripe where i feel like im just getting endlessly spawned killed or i just whine too much
Do people agree wih me or feel a different way with map control or just praise map control which in my vision is a noob gamer move.
I would't call it a Noob gamer move (I problably wrote that in frustation) but more of what makes it so special while everyone likes it i just dont get it but again mabey i could just be bad at the game and complain a lot but point is I dont understand the liking of it and most of the times when i attempt map control (which i fail) I usually get called trash so theres that but one more thing.......Does map control really feels like spawn killing or not
Any Suggestions on how to be a better map controller?
Map control adds a layer of skill and rewards proper map controllingSo pretty much in my vision another way of spawn killing but people allow it you cant do that much and in some map It SCREAMS map control which sucks. People who just do map control preffer playing map control maps and hate maps were theres no map control
Map control is fine for fighting over objectives and taking vehicles but spawn killing is still seen as cheating, regardless of if some claim it's a legit strategy. The best thing anyone can do when doing this is just report them, move on. Some like to claim spawn killing is 'fair'...but giving the opposing team no option to play is an unfair advantage exploit, would go against the T & D. As far as I'm concerned if I see this with fake 50's exploiting this then I'm fine with them having their ranks completely reset.
Speakum, is my English? Read hard is for me time this.
You'll probably hate CE. It's 90% map control. Some of the maps in that game can expose how too much of a good thing can be bad. If it makes you feel any better I just lost 8 matches in a row because of it. It didn't matter how good I was with the pistol. The other teams just run around with rockets and camo.
Anyway. I think Halo 3 had the perfect balance between individual gun skill and map control. You had to be good at both. Every game in Halo 3 feels like a chess match. It isn't the most popular halo for nothing.
ronnie42 wrote:
Map control adds a layer of skill and rewards proper map controllingSo pretty much in my vision another way of spawn killing but people allow it you cant do that much and in some map It SCREAMS map control which sucks. People who just do map control preffer playing map control maps and hate maps were theres no map control
Map control is fine for fighting over objectives and taking vehicles but spawn killing is still seen as cheating, regardless of if some claim it's a legit strategy. The best thing anyone can do when doing this is just report them, move on. Some like to claim spawn killing is 'fair'...but giving the opposing team no option to play is an unfair advantage exploit, would go against the T & D. As far as I'm concerned if I see this with fake 50's exploiting this then I'm fine with them having their ranks completely reset.
Spawn killing has been a thing since the dawn of shooters. You keep the enemy team at their base so they can’t get your obj
ronnie42 wrote:
In 4v4 spawn killing is most likely coincidental, the spawning system just picked a really -Yoink- place to drop ya. The only gamemode that I’ve been ruthlessly spawn killed is H3 BTB Objective. Every time I think I can warm up to btb I search, get CTF Valhalla, and the other team proceeds to just dominate the game. In objective game modes you can never spawn on the other side of the map (in slayer you can), so they just occupy your base so you spawn outside and kill you with every power weapon and vehicle. They should just remove the banshee from objective gamemodes, especially since when one team controls both there is no way to fight back.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2