Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

[Locked] Why Do I have to unlock the Reach armour again?

OP X19Doug95

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 10
  4. 11
  5. 12
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. ...
  9. 15
HC SOlO wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
Ok here's the deal id say it's cool to unlock all the armor but considering MCC already gave us the extra armor in the previous Halos I just can't understand why we would have to grind for Reach armor when we literally got for free the halo 2 anniversary special armors, halo 3, and Halo 4 armors. So yea it doesn't make sense. If you gonna make us grind make us grind for everything. It doesn't make sense to have people 100% start over just because it's reupdated version be what kind of excuse my French B.S. is that. Halo 3 and Halo 4 had unlockable armors and had a lvl up system why we do we have entirely different rank up system for Reach is beyyyoooond me in the words of Haha Davis from IG.
People didn't like the lack of guaranteed progression (ranks were based on skill and could be lowered/reset because of bugs). With the addition of Halo: Reach, making its armor unlockable was a logical choice (especially with all the praise the original game's system gets nowadays).
Yea, but that's no excuse for them to make all the past halo earnable armor for free but not make Reach free. If you're going to make us grind. Make us grind for everything. Don't half -Yoink- it.
But most of us hated that the previous Halo's just gave us the armors. So why just give us the reach stuff if the majority were asking to re-earn it. By simply just giving us the stuff would have been "half yoink it". No matter what they would have done there would be some players complaining. Just play the game and you will get the stuff. It's not like you have to do anything difficult to get the stuff.
I certainly didn't hate that they gave us the armors. The biggest complaint among the majority about the armor was that you couldn't mix and match armor sets. The vocal complaints about having everything unlocked came from the minority, the forum community, that wanted everything locked so that only people that grinded again could have it. The complaints were complaints in favor of elitism.

Giving us everything is not half yoinking it. It's literally the opposite. It's making a choice.

You have to waste time in order to get all the gear you had previously. You have to grind in such a way as to unlock only the things that they want you to unlock. I can't grind and recreate my Reach character in any reasonable time frame. Because of this grind, I am playing the game less than if I had my Reach character unlocked.

The grind should have been optional for those that wanted it. For those that didn't it should have been freely unlocked. Again, you can tie that to directly checking achievements and even time stamps for achievements on the old games. They can do that quite easily. Shadowrun did exactly that 13 years ago. Metal Gear Solid did the same concept (only locally) 22 years ago.
Why is it his even still being debated?

It doesn't take all that long to unlock it all.
And why have it all for free, unlocked? Is this how you feel about the achievements too?

Some people might not like this reality: most people enjoy the act of unlocking things.
Some people like loot boxes too. Maybe that's how they should have brought back the armor pieces. By your logic that's how the game should be designed.

This is being debated because there are opinions on both sides of this and it does taker longer than people are willing to play and are less likely to play specifically because of it. The grind you enjoy that keeps you playing is the thing that prevents me from playing more regularly. I want it all unlocked because I already unlocked it and put in my dues and feel robbed by being asked to do it again. I don't care about achievements because achievements are numbers, they are not the things I worked for in Reach.

What you're asking isn't why do I want everything for free; what you're asking is why do I want stuff I worked for.
Unfortunately now that I have completed the armor collection for a 2nd time (easy), I will feel robbed if you get it for free.....just play the game.
Please leave me alone. You have been blocked yet I still get updates from your trolling.
not trolling, just disagreeing
AshamanND wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
Ok here's the deal id say it's cool to unlock all the armor but considering MCC already gave us the extra armor in the previous Halos I just can't understand why we would have to grind for Reach armor when we literally got for free the halo 2 anniversary special armors, halo 3, and Halo 4 armors. So yea it doesn't make sense. If you gonna make us grind make us grind for everything. It doesn't make sense to have people 100% start over just because it's reupdated version be what kind of excuse my French B.S. is that. Halo 3 and Halo 4 had unlockable armors and had a lvl up system why we do we have entirely different rank up system for Reach is beyyyoooond me in the words of Haha Davis from IG.
People didn't like the lack of guaranteed progression (ranks were based on skill and could be lowered/reset because of bugs). With the addition of Halo: Reach, making its armor unlockable was a logical choice (especially with all the praise the original game's system gets nowadays).
Yea, but that's no excuse for them to make all the past halo earnable armor for free but not make Reach free. If you're going to make us grind. Make us grind for everything. Don't half -Yoink- it.
But most of us hated that the previous Halo's just gave us the armors. So why just give us the reach stuff if the majority were asking to re-earn it. By simply just giving us the stuff would have been "half yoink it". No matter what they would have done there would be some players complaining. Just play the game and you will get the stuff. It's not like you have to do anything difficult to get the stuff.
[snip]
Why is it his even still being debated?

It doesn't take all that long to unlock it all.
And why have it all for free, unlocked? Is this how you feel about the achievements too?

Some people might not like this reality: most people enjoy the act of unlocking things.
Some people like loot boxes too. Maybe that's how they should have brought back the armor pieces. By your logic that's how the game should be designed.

This is being debated because there are opinions on both sides of this and it does taker longer than people are willing to play and are less likely to play specifically because of it. The grind you enjoy that keeps you playing is the thing that prevents me from playing more regularly. I want it all unlocked because I already unlocked it and put in my dues and feel robbed by being asked to do it again. I don't care about achievements because achievements are numbers, they are not the things I worked for in Reach.

What you're asking isn't why do I want everything for free; what you're asking is why do I want stuff I worked for.
You said 'The grind you enjoy that keeps you playing" except I never said I enjoy it personally. At the same time it doesn't mean I hate it.
I'm indifferent, and honestly don't understand why so many people hate it.

It's not the same game. It's a remastered version of a game. You still have all your stuff in the old game, this one is new. Everyone starts from the same place.
If you want to show off what you've unlocked in the old game to people, you still can.
This system shows everyone what they've done since Reach launched in MCC. It's arguably the most fair.

If anything, they could have added a small cosmetic to those who achieved Inheritor status in OG Reach, like what they plan for Infinite re: H5. Would have been a nice nod to those folks.

Anyhow, you shouldn't be playing the game only to unlock things. I play it because I enjoy the gameplay. When things unlock, I might use them, or I might not. If you just play the game because you enjoy it, you can stop worrying about all this.

Show me one person that likes loot boxes. And loot boxes have nothing to do with this conversation, everything in MCC is free to unlock, as it should be - and we should be thankful for that! They very well COULD have put a paid system in place, and didn't.
If you already owned the MCC on X1, you got the entire MP for free! They could have easily added a paid battle pass, and they didn't.

  • It's not the same game as the original. It's not just the 'backwards compatible' version. No other games ever have had remasters where everything is unlocked.
  • You aren't robbed of your unlocks. You still have your unlocks in the old game if you wanna show them off. People still play it.
  • It's not that long of a grind, in fact WAY less than OG.
  • The unlocks are free. MP was also free for existing X1 MCC owners.
  • Play for fun, because you enjoy the gameplay, not just for unlocks.
If you approach MCC Reach with these in mind, you'll probably have a better experience.

[Edit].
I noticed you also mentioned that because of this, you end up playing other games in the collection. That's fine I guess, but keep in mind you still earn XP when playing those, so even then you're making progress towards those 'dreaded' unlocks. Another reason that this 'grind' isn't really that bad.
Plus they're adding in challenges soon, so we'll have more ways to earn XP/unlocks, including campaign.
It's a remastered version of the game? OK, so then it's not a new game. It's an old game only slightly touched up. In truth, this isn't even a remaster. There are no new art assets created from scratch like Halo anniversary or Halo 2 remastered. And the game engine as far as physics and mechanics are identical so it's not a remake either. This is a port. A very nice port, and one that runs smoother and at a higher resolution, but still a port. And in that regard games like Destiny kept progress across console generational ports because Bungie understood people don't want to deal with the grind for the exact same things in the exact same game they already again.

The most fair system is to unlock everything for everyone at once. That is irrefutably the most fair. That's not even up for debate. Basic logic dictates 0 barrier is more fair than a time or score barrier or any other metric.

I like loot boxes. Literally billions and billions of dollars have been spent on loot boxes. Valve never has to release another game or sell another game on the Steam marketplace ever again because of CS:GO. I would prefer loot boxes in this game as opposed to the way it's set up now because the odds of me getting the things that I had already earned years ago are significantly higher than getting the things by grinding the game again.

LOL added a paid battle pass for things that were free in the game before that people already grinded for before? LMAO. You can't be serious. That would go down like a lead balloon.

"No other games ever have had remasters where everything is unlocked."Literally every single other game in The Master Chief Collection...
HC SOlO wrote:
HC SOlO wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
Ok here's the deal id say it's cool to unlock all the armor but considering MCC already gave us the extra armor in the previous Halos I just can't understand why we would have to grind for Reach armor when we literally got for free the halo 2 anniversary special armors, halo 3, and Halo 4 armors. So yea it doesn't make sense. If you gonna make us grind make us grind for everything. It doesn't make sense to have people 100% start over just because it's reupdated version be what kind of excuse my French B.S. is that. Halo 3 and Halo 4 had unlockable armors and had a lvl up system why we do we have entirely different rank up system for Reach is beyyyoooond me in the words of Haha Davis from IG.
People didn't like the lack of guaranteed progression (ranks were based on skill and could be lowered/reset because of bugs). With the addition of Halo: Reach, making its armor unlockable was a logical choice (especially with all the praise the original game's system gets nowadays).
Yea, but that's no excuse for them to make all the past halo earnable armor for free but not make Reach free. If you're going to make us grind. Make us grind for everything. Don't half -Yoink- it.
But most of us hated that the previous Halo's just gave us the armors. So why just give us the reach stuff if the majority were asking to re-earn it. By simply just giving us the stuff would have been "half yoink it". No matter what they would have done there would be some players complaining. Just play the game and you will get the stuff. It's not like you have to do anything difficult to get the stuff.
I certainly didn't hate that they gave us the armors. The biggest complaint among the majority about the armor was that you couldn't mix and match armor sets. The vocal complaints about having everything unlocked came from the minority, the forum community, that wanted everything locked so that only people that grinded again could have it. The complaints were complaints in favor of elitism.

Giving us everything is not half yoinking it. It's literally the opposite. It's making a choice.

You have to waste time in order to get all the gear you had previously. You have to grind in such a way as to unlock only the things that they want you to unlock. I can't grind and recreate my Reach character in any reasonable time frame. Because of this grind, I am playing the game less than if I had my Reach character unlocked.

The grind should have been optional for those that wanted it. For those that didn't it should have been freely unlocked. Again, you can tie that to directly checking achievements and even time stamps for achievements on the old games. They can do that quite easily. Shadowrun did exactly that 13 years ago. Metal Gear Solid did the same concept (only locally) 22 years ago.
Why is it his even still being debated?

It doesn't take all that long to unlock it all.
And why have it all for free, unlocked? Is this how you feel about the achievements too?

Some people might not like this reality: most people enjoy the act of unlocking things.
Some people like loot boxes too. Maybe that's how they should have brought back the armor pieces. By your logic that's how the game should be designed.

This is being debated because there are opinions on both sides of this and it does taker longer than people are willing to play and are less likely to play specifically because of it. The grind you enjoy that keeps you playing is the thing that prevents me from playing more regularly. I want it all unlocked because I already unlocked it and put in my dues and feel robbed by being asked to do it again. I don't care about achievements because achievements are numbers, they are not the things I worked for in Reach.

What you're asking isn't why do I want everything for free; what you're asking is why do I want stuff I worked for.
Unfortunately now that I have completed the armor collection for a 2nd time (easy), I will feel robbed if you get it for free.....just play the game.
Please leave me alone. You have been blocked yet I still get updates from your trolling.
not trolling, just disagreeing
Yes you have and I'm not going through this again. I asked you to stop and you clearly haven't since you found me again. I have blocked you and yet still get notifications. Just leave my posts and my name out of your mouth.
HC SOlO wrote:
HC SOlO wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
Ok here's the deal id say it's cool to unlock all the armor but considering MCC already gave us the extra armor in the previous Halos I just can't understand why we would have to grind for Reach armor when we literally got for free the halo 2 anniversary special armors, halo 3, and Halo 4 armors. So yea it doesn't make sense. If you gonna make us grind make us grind for everything. It doesn't make sense to have people 100% start over just because it's reupdated version be what kind of excuse my French B.S. is that. Halo 3 and Halo 4 had unlockable armors and had a lvl up system why we do we have entirely different rank up system for Reach is beyyyoooond me in the words of Haha Davis from IG.
People didn't like the lack of guaranteed progression (ranks were based on skill and could be lowered/reset because of bugs). With the addition of Halo: Reach, making its armor unlockable was a logical choice (especially with all the praise the original game's system gets nowadays).
Yea, but that's no excuse for them to make all the past halo earnable armor for free but not make Reach free. If you're going to make us grind. Make us grind for everything. Don't half -Yoink- it.
But most of us hated that the previous Halo's just gave us the armors. So why just give us the reach stuff if the majority were asking to re-earn it. By simply just giving us the stuff would have been "half yoink it". No matter what they would have done there would be some players complaining. Just play the game and you will get the stuff. It's not like you have to do anything difficult to get the stuff.
I certainly didn't hate that they gave us the armors. The biggest complaint among the majority about the armor was that you couldn't mix and match armor sets. The vocal complaints about having everything unlocked came from the minority, the forum community, that wanted everything locked so that only people that grinded again could have it. The complaints were complaints in favor of elitism.

Giving us everything is not half yoinking it. It's literally the opposite. It's making a choice.

You have to waste time in order to get all the gear you had previously. You have to grind in such a way as to unlock only the things that they want you to unlock. I can't grind and recreate my Reach character in any reasonable time frame. Because of this grind, I am playing the game less than if I had my Reach character unlocked.

The grind should have been optional for those that wanted it. For those that didn't it should have been freely unlocked. Again, you can tie that to directly checking achievements and even time stamps for achievements on the old games. They can do that quite easily. Shadowrun did exactly that 13 years ago. Metal Gear Solid did the same concept (only locally) 22 years ago.
Why is it his even still being debated?

It doesn't take all that long to unlock it all.
And why have it all for free, unlocked? Is this how you feel about the achievements too?

Some people might not like this reality: most people enjoy the act of unlocking things.
Some people like loot boxes too. Maybe that's how they should have brought back the armor pieces. By your logic that's how the game should be designed.

This is being debated because there are opinions on both sides of this and it does taker longer than people are willing to play and are less likely to play specifically because of it. The grind you enjoy that keeps you playing is the thing that prevents me from playing more regularly. I want it all unlocked because I already unlocked it and put in my dues and feel robbed by being asked to do it again. I don't care about achievements because achievements are numbers, they are not the things I worked for in Reach.

What you're asking isn't why do I want everything for free; what you're asking is why do I want stuff I worked for.
Unfortunately now that I have completed the armor collection for a 2nd time (easy), I will feel robbed if you get it for free.....just play the game.
Please leave me alone. You have been blocked yet I still get updates from your trolling.
not trolling, just disagreeing
Yes you have and I'm not going through this again. I asked you to stop and you clearly haven't since you found me again. I have blocked you and yet still get notifications. Just leave my posts and my name out of your mouth.
Sorry, i will not. This is a forum and I am just adding my 2 cents. I didn't have to "find" you lol I have followed this topic for some time. When i choose to add something, I do.
AshamanND wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
Ok here's the deal id say it's cool to unlock all the armor but considering MCC already gave us the extra armor in the previous Halos I just can't understand why we would have to grind for Reach armor when we literally got for free the halo 2 anniversary special armors, halo 3, and Halo 4 armors. So yea it doesn't make sense. If you gonna make us grind make us grind for everything. It doesn't make sense to have people 100% start over just because it's reupdated version be what kind of excuse my French B.S. is that. Halo 3 and Halo 4 had unlockable armors and had a lvl up system why we do we have entirely different rank up system for Reach is beyyyoooond me in the words of Haha Davis from IG.
People didn't like the lack of guaranteed progression (ranks were based on skill and could be lowered/reset because of bugs). With the addition of Halo: Reach, making its armor unlockable was a logical choice (especially with all the praise the original game's system gets nowadays).
Yea, but that's no excuse for them to make all the past halo earnable armor for free but not make Reach free. If you're going to make us grind. Make us grind for everything. Don't half -Yoink- it.
But most of us hated that the previous Halo's just gave us the armors. So why just give us the reach stuff if the majority were asking to re-earn it. By simply just giving us the stuff would have been "half yoink it". No matter what they would have done there would be some players complaining. Just play the game and you will get the stuff. It's not like you have to do anything difficult to get the stuff.
[snip]
Why is it his even still being debated?

It doesn't take all that long to unlock it all.
And why have it all for free, unlocked? Is this how you feel about the achievements too?

Some people might not like this reality: most people enjoy the act of unlocking things.
The most fair system is to unlock everything for everyone at once. That is irrefutably the most fair. That's not even up for debate. Basic logic dictates 0 barrier is more fair than a time or score barrier or any other metric.

Again, unfortunately many of us have completed the armor collection already. Maybe this would have worked if it was this way from the beginning but it was not. You need to put in the time like everyone else. Your perceived grind will end if you just play the game.
AshamanND wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
Ok here's the deal id say it's cool to unlock all the armor but considering MCC already gave us the extra armor in the previous Halos I just can't understand why we would have to grind for Reach armor when we literally got for free the halo 2 anniversary special armors, halo 3, and Halo 4 armors. So yea it doesn't make sense. If you gonna make us grind make us grind for everything. It doesn't make sense to have people 100% start over just because it's reupdated version be what kind of excuse my French B.S. is that. Halo 3 and Halo 4 had unlockable armors and had a lvl up system why we do we have entirely different rank up system for Reach is beyyyoooond me in the words of Haha Davis from IG.
People didn't like the lack of guaranteed progression (ranks were based on skill and could be lowered/reset because of bugs). With the addition of Halo: Reach, making its armor unlockable was a logical choice (especially with all the praise the original game's system gets nowadays).
Yea, but that's no excuse for them to make all the past halo earnable armor for free but not make Reach free. If you're going to make us grind. Make us grind for everything. Don't half -Yoink- it.
But most of us hated that the previous Halo's just gave us the armors. So why just give us the reach stuff if the majority were asking to re-earn it. By simply just giving us the stuff would have been "half yoink it". No matter what they would have done there would be some players complaining. Just play the game and you will get the stuff. It's not like you have to do anything difficult to get the stuff.
[snip]
Why is it his even still being debated?

It doesn't take all that long to unlock it all.
And why have it all for free, unlocked? Is this how you feel about the achievements too?

Some people might not like this reality: most people enjoy the act of unlocking things.
Some people like loot boxes too. Maybe that's how they should have brought back the armor pieces. By your logic that's how the game should be designed.

This is being debated because there are opinions on both sides of this and it does taker longer than people are willing to play and are less likely to play specifically because of it. The grind you enjoy that keeps you playing is the thing that prevents me from playing more regularly. I want it all unlocked because I already unlocked it and put in my dues and feel robbed by being asked to do it again. I don't care about achievements because achievements are numbers, they are not the things I worked for in Reach.

What you're asking isn't why do I want everything for free; what you're asking is why do I want stuff I worked for.
You said 'The grind you enjoy that keeps you playing" except I never said I enjoy it personally. At the same time it doesn't mean I hate it.
I'm indifferent, and honestly don't understand why so many people hate it.

It's not the same game. It's a remastered version of a game. You still have all your stuff in the old game, this one is new. Everyone starts from the same place.
If you want to show off what you've unlocked in the old game to people, you still can.
This system shows everyone what they've done since Reach launched in MCC. It's arguably the most fair.

If anything, they could have added a small cosmetic to those who achieved Inheritor status in OG Reach, like what they plan for Infinite re: H5. Would have been a nice nod to those folks.

Anyhow, you shouldn't be playing the game only to unlock things. I play it because I enjoy the gameplay. When things unlock, I might use them, or I might not. If you just play the game because you enjoy it, you can stop worrying about all this.

Show me one person that likes loot boxes. And loot boxes have nothing to do with this conversation, everything in MCC is free to unlock, as it should be - and we should be thankful for that! They very well COULD have put a paid system in place, and didn't.
If you already owned the MCC on X1, you got the entire MP for free! They could have easily added a paid battle pass, and they didn't.

  • It's not the same game as the original. It's not just the 'backwards compatible' version. No other games ever have had remasters where everything is unlocked.
  • You aren't robbed of your unlocks. You still have your unlocks in the old game if you wanna show them off. People still play it.
  • It's not that long of a grind, in fact WAY less than OG.
  • The unlocks are free. MP was also free for existing X1 MCC owners.
  • Play for fun, because you enjoy the gameplay, not just for unlocks.
If you approach MCC Reach with these in mind, you'll probably have a better experience.

[Edit].
I noticed you also mentioned that because of this, you end up playing other games in the collection. That's fine I guess, but keep in mind you still earn XP when playing those, so even then you're making progress towards those 'dreaded' unlocks. Another reason that this 'grind' isn't really that bad.
Plus they're adding in challenges soon, so we'll have more ways to earn XP/unlocks, including campaign.
It's a remastered version of the game? OK, so then it's not a new game. It's an old game only slightly touched up. In truth, this isn't even a remaster. There are no new art assets created from scratch like Halo anniversary or Halo 2 remastered. And the game engine as far as physics and mechanics are identical so it's not a remake either. This is a port. A very nice port, and one that runs smoother and at a higher resolution, but still a port. And in that regard games like Destiny kept progress across console generational ports because Bungie understood people don't want to deal with the grind for the exact same things in the exact same game they already again.

The most fair system is to unlock everything for everyone at once. That is irrefutably the most fair. That's not even up for debate. Basic logic dictates 0 barrier is more fair than a time or score barrier or any other metric.

I like loot boxes. Literally billions and billions of dollars have been spent on loot boxes. Valve never has to release another game or sell another game on the Steam marketplace ever again because of CS:GO. I would prefer loot boxes in this game as opposed to the way it's set up now because the odds of me getting the things that I had already earned years ago are significantly higher than getting the things by grinding the game again.

LOL added a paid battle pass for things that were free in the game before that people already grinded for before? LMAO. You can't be serious. That would go down like a lead balloon.

"No other games ever have had remasters where everything is unlocked."Literally every single other game in The Master Chief Collection...
Except that was due to limitations. I wish they would add customization to the other games and do what they did with Reach. Having everything unlocked automatically kinda kills the game for me.
AshamanND wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
Ok here's the deal id say it's cool to unlock all the armor but considering MCC already gave us the extra armor in the previous Halos I just can't understand why we would have to grind for Reach armor when we literally got for free the halo 2 anniversary special armors, halo 3, and Halo 4 armors. So yea it doesn't make sense. If you gonna make us grind make us grind for everything. It doesn't make sense to have people 100% start over just because it's reupdated version be what kind of excuse my French B.S. is that. Halo 3 and Halo 4 had unlockable armors and had a lvl up system why we do we have entirely different rank up system for Reach is beyyyoooond me in the words of Haha Davis from IG.
People didn't like the lack of guaranteed progression (ranks were based on skill and could be lowered/reset because of bugs). With the addition of Halo: Reach, making its armor unlockable was a logical choice (especially with all the praise the original game's system gets nowadays).
Yea, but that's no excuse for them to make all the past halo earnable armor for free but not make Reach free. If you're going to make us grind. Make us grind for everything. Don't half -Yoink- it.
But most of us hated that the previous Halo's just gave us the armors. So why just give us the reach stuff if the majority were asking to re-earn it. By simply just giving us the stuff would have been "half yoink it". No matter what they would have done there would be some players complaining. Just play the game and you will get the stuff. It's not like you have to do anything difficult to get the stuff.
[snip]
Why is it his even still being debated?

It doesn't take all that long to unlock it all.
And why have it all for free, unlocked? Is this how you feel about the achievements too?

Some people might not like this reality: most people enjoy the act of unlocking things.
Some people like loot boxes too. Maybe that's how they should have brought back the armor pieces. By your logic that's how the game should be designed.

This is being debated because there are opinions on both sides of this and it does taker longer than people are willing to play and are less likely to play specifically because of it. The grind you enjoy that keeps you playing is the thing that prevents me from playing more regularly. I want it all unlocked because I already unlocked it and put in my dues and feel robbed by being asked to do it again. I don't care about achievements because achievements are numbers, they are not the things I worked for in Reach.

What you're asking isn't why do I want everything for free; what you're asking is why do I want stuff I worked for.
[snip]
  • It's not the same game as the original. It's not just the 'backwards compatible' version. No other games ever have had remasters where everything is unlocked.
  • You aren't robbed of your unlocks. You still have your unlocks in the old game if you wanna show them off. People still play it.
  • It's not that long of a grind, in fact WAY less than OG.
  • The unlocks are free. MP was also free for existing X1 MCC owners.
  • Play for fun, because you enjoy the gameplay, not just for unlocks.
If you approach MCC Reach with these in mind, you'll probably have a better experience.

[Edit].
I noticed you also mentioned that because of this, you end up playing other games in the collection. That's fine I guess, but keep in mind you still earn XP when playing those, so even then you're making progress towards those 'dreaded' unlocks. Another reason that this 'grind' isn't really that bad.
Plus they're adding in challenges soon, so we'll have more ways to earn XP/unlocks, including campaign.
It's a remastered version of the game? OK, so then it's not a new game. It's an old game only slightly touched up. In truth, this isn't even a remaster. There are no new art assets created from scratch like Halo anniversary or Halo 2 remastered. And the game engine as far as physics and mechanics are identical so it's not a remake either. This is a port. A very nice port, and one that runs smoother and at a higher resolution, but still a port. And in that regard games like Destiny kept progress across console generational ports because Bungie understood people don't want to deal with the grind for the exact same things in the exact same game they already again.

The most fair system is to unlock everything for everyone at once. That is irrefutably the most fair. That's not even up for debate. Basic logic dictates 0 barrier is more fair than a time or score barrier or any other metric.
Yes H2A (and HCEA) are more remasters than Reach in MCC. I suppose I shouldn't call it a remaster. I will give you this. While it might not be a remaster - it is NOT the same game. It is now part of an entire collection. It's different. That is irrefutable.
Quote:
I like loot boxes. Literally billions and billions of dollars have been spent on loot boxes. Valve never has to release another game or sell another game on the Steam marketplace ever again because of CS:GO. I would prefer loot boxes in this game as opposed to the way it's set up now because the odds of me getting the things that I had already earned years ago are significantly higher than getting the things by grinding the game again.
This is where you lost me. Seriously. You want loot boxes in MCC? Just stop. Please. For EVERYONE'S sake.
Quote:
LOL added a paid battle pass for things that were free in the game before that people already grinded for before? LMAO. You can't be serious. That would go down like a lead balloon.
That's my point exactly - they might have gone this route and they didn't. I am serious in that the COULD have added it. Don't mistake my words - I do not want a paid battle pass, but it was an option they considered.
You keep bringing this up about having 'already grinded for' stuff, honestly let it go - because again, all your gear is still there. In that same game. Stop ignoring that fact.
Quote:
"No other games ever have had remasters where everything is unlocked."Literally every single other game in The Master Chief Collection...
FINE. Name ANY game that isn't the MCC that EVER did this. I actually spelled out this argument in earlier pages on this very thread - and whoever it was couldn't answer this either.

And are you seriously going to sit here and defend the launch version of MCC? smh.
AshamanND wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
Ok here's the deal id say it's cool to unlock all the armor but considering MCC already gave us the extra armor in the previous Halos I just can't understand why we would have to grind for Reach armor when we literally got for free the halo 2 anniversary special armors, halo 3, and Halo 4 armors. So yea it doesn't make sense. If you gonna make us grind make us grind for everything. It doesn't make sense to have people 100% start over just because it's reupdated version be what kind of excuse my French B.S. is that. Halo 3 and Halo 4 had unlockable armors and had a lvl up system why we do we have entirely different rank up system for Reach is beyyyoooond me in the words of Haha Davis from IG.
People didn't like the lack of guaranteed progression (ranks were based on skill and could be lowered/reset because of bugs). With the addition of Halo: Reach, making its armor unlockable was a logical choice (especially with all the praise the original game's system gets nowadays).
Yea, but that's no excuse for them to make all the past halo earnable armor for free but not make Reach free. If you're going to make us grind. Make us grind for everything. Don't half -Yoink- it.
But most of us hated that the previous Halo's just gave us the armors. So why just give us the reach stuff if the majority were asking to re-earn it. By simply just giving us the stuff would have been "half yoink it". No matter what they would have done there would be some players complaining. Just play the game and you will get the stuff. It's not like you have to do anything difficult to get the stuff.
[snip]
Why is it his even still being debated?

It doesn't take all that long to unlock it all.
And why have it all for free, unlocked? Is this how you feel about the achievements too?

Some people might not like this reality: most people enjoy the act of unlocking things.
Some people like loot boxes too. Maybe that's how they should have brought back the armor pieces. By your logic that's how the game should be designed.

This is being debated because there are opinions on both sides of this and it does taker longer than people are willing to play and are less likely to play specifically because of it. The grind you enjoy that keeps you playing is the thing that prevents me from playing more regularly. I want it all unlocked because I already unlocked it and put in my dues and feel robbed by being asked to do it again. I don't care about achievements because achievements are numbers, they are not the things I worked for in Reach.

What you're asking isn't why do I want everything for free; what you're asking is why do I want stuff I worked for.
Quote:
This is where you lost me. Seriously. You want loot boxes in MCC? Just stop. Please. For EVERYONE'S sake.
I want loot boxes. Might as well. If I have to grind I might as well get a higher chance of getting the gear that I want rather than having to grind even longer which is how the current system, which is way worse than even the original credits system from Reach was. Bring on the loot boxes. I have nothing to lose and everything to gain by loot boxes so bring on the loot boxes.
Quote:
That's my point exactly - they might have gone this route and they didn't
Yeah and they could have also made it a ps4 exclusive but they didn't because that's your point that they're not dumb enough to do the dumbest thing you could think of? Color me unimpressed by this supposed restraint.
Quote:
honestly let it go
How about you just let it go and let me have the stuff? How about you just let it go that I want the stuff I already unlocked? Why is it you ask me to let it go when I am trying to avoid countless hours before I am allowed to customize and enjoy my time playing my character in Reach, but you can't even let it go that I want to avoid the pointless grind? By harping on this by telling me to let it go what have you gained or hope to accomplish? Because your opinion isn't right. There is no objective answer. There is only you unwilling to accept the fact that I don't want to grind a game I already grinded out years ago on the same exact account I've had since 2005.
Quote:
FINE. Name ANY game that isn't the MCC that EVER did this. I actually spelled out this argument in earlier pages on this very thread - and whoever it was couldn't answer this either.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Womp womp.
I believe AoE2DE as well. I think but unverified.
Quote:
And are you seriously going to sit here and defend the launch version of MCC? smh.
I don't know where or how you assume the poor launch of TMCC's multiplayer was OK, but at least in that game's defense it didn't make me grind for things I already unlocked years ago.
HC SOlO wrote:
HC SOlO wrote:
HC SOlO wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
Ok here's the deal id say it's cool to unlock all the armor but considering MCC already gave us the extra armor in the previous Halos I just can't understand why we would have to grind for Reach armor when we literally got for free the halo 2 anniversary special armors, halo 3, and Halo 4 armors. So yea it doesn't make sense. If you gonna make us grind make us grind for everything. It doesn't make sense to have people 100% start over just because it's reupdated version be what kind of excuse my French B.S. is that. Halo 3 and Halo 4 had unlockable armors and had a lvl up system why we do we have entirely different rank up system for Reach is beyyyoooond me in the words of Haha Davis from IG.
People didn't like the lack of guaranteed progression (ranks were based on skill and could be lowered/reset because of bugs). With the addition of Halo: Reach, making its armor unlockable was a logical choice (especially with all the praise the original game's system gets nowadays).
Yea, but that's no excuse for them to make all the past halo earnable armor for free but not make Reach free. If you're going to make us grind. Make us grind for everything. Don't half -Yoink- it.
But most of us hated that the previous Halo's just gave us the armors. So why just give us the reach stuff if the majority were asking to re-earn it. By simply just giving us the stuff would have been "half yoink it". No matter what they would have done there would be some players complaining. Just play the game and you will get the stuff. It's not like you have to do anything difficult to get the stuff.
I certainly didn't hate that they gave us the armors. The biggest complaint among the majority about the armor was that you couldn't mix and match armor sets. The vocal complaints about having everything unlocked came from the minority, the forum community, that wanted everything locked so that only people that grinded again could have it. The complaints were complaints in favor of elitism.

Giving us everything is not half yoinking it. It's literally the opposite. It's making a choice.

You have to waste time in order to get all the gear you had previously. You have to grind in such a way as to unlock only the things that they want you to unlock. I can't grind and recreate my Reach character in any reasonable time frame. Because of this grind, I am playing the game less than if I had my Reach character unlocked.

The grind should have been optional for those that wanted it. For those that didn't it should have been freely unlocked. Again, you can tie that to directly checking achievements and even time stamps for achievements on the old games. They can do that quite easily. Shadowrun did exactly that 13 years ago. Metal Gear Solid did the same concept (only locally) 22 years ago.
Why is it his even still being debated?

It doesn't take all that long to unlock it all.
And why have it all for free, unlocked? Is this how you feel about the achievements too?

Some people might not like this reality: most people enjoy the act of unlocking things.
Some people like loot boxes too. Maybe that's how they should have brought back the armor pieces. By your logic that's how the game should be designed.

This is being debated because there are opinions on both sides of this and it does taker longer than people are willing to play and are less likely to play specifically because of it. The grind you enjoy that keeps you playing is the thing that prevents me from playing more regularly. I want it all unlocked because I already unlocked it and put in my dues and feel robbed by being asked to do it again. I don't care about achievements because achievements are numbers, they are not the things I worked for in Reach.

What you're asking isn't why do I want everything for free; what you're asking is why do I want stuff I worked for.
Unfortunately now that I have completed the armor collection for a 2nd time (easy), I will feel robbed if you get it for free.....just play the game.
Please leave me alone. You have been blocked yet I still get updates from your trolling.
not trolling, just disagreeing
Yes you have and I'm not going through this again. I asked you to stop and you clearly haven't since you found me again. I have blocked you and yet still get notifications. Just leave my posts and my name out of your mouth.
Sorry, i will not. This is a forum and I am just adding my 2 cents. I didn't have to "find" you lol I have followed this topic for some time. When i choose to add something, I do.
You haven't contributed anything to this discussion in reply to me aside from toxicity and harassment. I'm not putting up with it again.
Big T Mac10,

[edit]

I'm not sure if Mario kart is the best comparison - what exactly were the things that were unlocked? Modes, tracks etc? Pretty sure Reach in MCC lets you play any level you want right from the start, without having to beat a level first.

[/edit]

Look, we're both fans of Halo, and we've both played a lot of the games. I'm glad we both love the series.
I appreciate your perspective on some of the things you mention - we're not gonna see eye to eye on the unlock system and I'm ok with that.

But seriously. You actually want MCC Loot boxes.
I don't even know what else to say.
AshamanND wrote:
Big T Mac10,

[edit]I'm not sure if Mario kart is the best comparison - what exactly were the things that were unlocked? Modes, tracks etc? Pretty sure Reach in MCC lets you play any level you want right from the start, without having to beat a level first.

[/edit]Look, we're both fans of Halo, and we've both played a lot of the games. I'm glad we both love the series.
I appreciate your perspective on some of the things you mention - we're not gonna see eye to eye on the unlock system and I'm ok with that.

But seriously. You actually want MCC Loot boxes.
I don't even know what else to say.
OMG.
You: "No one can refute my claim."
Me: Easily refutes claim
You: "That doesn't count!"

No, it counts. Everything was locked in Mario Kart 8. Tracks, characters and parts. Deluxe unlocks the vast majority of it by default. It is literally the exact thing you insinuated has never happened in a remaster.

And why shouldn't I want loot boxes? If I'm going to get screwed by grinding out armor parts I don't want, why not increase my chance of getting the pieces I want earlier?
AshamanND wrote:
Big T Mac10,

[edit]I'm not sure if Mario kart is the best comparison - what exactly were the things that were unlocked? Modes, tracks etc? Pretty sure Reach in MCC lets you play any level you want right from the start, without having to beat a level first.

[/edit]Look, we're both fans of Halo, and we've both played a lot of the games. I'm glad we both love the series.
I appreciate your perspective on some of the things you mention - we're not gonna see eye to eye on the unlock system and I'm ok with that.

But seriously. You actually want MCC Loot boxes.
I don't even know what else to say.
OMG.
You: "No one can refute my claim."
Me: Easily refutes claim
You: "That doesn't count!"

No, it counts. Everything was locked in Mario Kart 8. Tracks, characters and parts. Deluxe unlocks the vast majority of it by default. It is literally the exact thing you insinuated has never happened in a remaster.

And why shouldn't I want loot boxes? If I'm going to get screwed by grinding out armor parts I don't want, why not increase my chance of getting the pieces I want earlier?
Tracks is like missions in Halo. They don't count. Honestly.
Parts (from my understanding) were still locked in Deluxe. Doesn't count.
Characters - OK, one part of this game had unlocks that were given. But not everything was unlocked, and that's my point.

I actually agree with you about getting armor parts I don't want too - the linear unlock system is dumb. The points should allow freedom of what to unlock. But having to unlock them, in my mind, isn't the issue (just the order).

If you want to die on the loot box hill, be my guest. People might have spent money on them in many games, but by and large the overall gaming community does not like them. Especially when randomized. Most people prefer playing and earning an unlock instead of paying for it. You're on the internet, you must know this, right?
AshamanND wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
Big T Mac10,

[edit]I'm not sure if Mario kart is the best comparison - what exactly were the things that were unlocked? Modes, tracks etc? Pretty sure Reach in MCC lets you play any level you want right from the start, without having to beat a level first.

[/edit]Look, we're both fans of Halo, and we've both played a lot of the games. I'm glad we both love the series.
I appreciate your perspective on some of the things you mention - we're not gonna see eye to eye on the unlock system and I'm ok with that.

But seriously. You actually want MCC Loot boxes.
I don't even know what else to say.
OMG.
You: "No one can refute my claim."
Me: Easily refutes claim
You: "That doesn't count!"

No, it counts. Everything was locked in Mario Kart 8. Tracks, characters and parts. Deluxe unlocks the vast majority of it by default. It is literally the exact thing you insinuated has never happened in a remaster.

And why shouldn't I want loot boxes? If I'm going to get screwed by grinding out armor parts I don't want, why not increase my chance of getting the pieces I want earlier?
Tracks is like missions in Halo. They don't count. Honestly.
Parts (from my understanding) were still locked in Deluxe. Doesn't count.
Characters - OK, one part of this game had unlocks that were given. But not everything was unlocked, and that's my point.

I actually agree with you about getting armor parts I don't want too - the linear unlock system is dumb. The points should allow freedom of what to unlock. But having to unlock them, in my mind, isn't the issue (just the order).

If you want to die on the loot box hill, be my guest. People might have spent money on them in many games, but by and large the overall gaming community does not like them. Especially when randomized. Most people prefer playing and earning an unlock instead of paying for it. You're on the internet, you must know this, right?
lol I have nothing to lose by them adding loot boxes. That's my point. This system might as well be loot boxes to me and honestly I haven't heard why it would be a worse system than the one we have now. If the unlocks are all the exact same and all my character's gear are late pass unlocks then why wouldn't I want a gamble that I unlock them or some of them, earlier than the current system?
EDIT: You're conflating loot boxes with paid only loot boxes.
HC SOlO wrote:
HC SOlO wrote:
HC SOlO wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
Ok here's the deal id say it's cool to unlock all the armor but considering MCC already gave us the extra armor in the previous Halos I just can't understand why we would have to grind for Reach armor when we literally got for free the halo 2 anniversary special armors, halo 3, and Halo 4 armors. So yea it doesn't make sense. If you gonna make us grind make us grind for everything. It doesn't make sense to have people 100% start over just because it's reupdated version be what kind of excuse my French B.S. is that. Halo 3 and Halo 4 had unlockable armors and had a lvl up system why we do we have entirely different rank up system for Reach is beyyyoooond me in the words of Haha Davis from IG.
People didn't like the lack of guaranteed progression (ranks were based on skill and could be lowered/reset because of bugs). With the addition of Halo: Reach, making its armor unlockable was a logical choice (especially with all the praise the original game's system gets nowadays).
Yea, but that's no excuse for them to make all the past halo earnable armor for free but not make Reach free. If you're going to make us grind. Make us grind for everything. Don't half -Yoink- it.
But most of us hated that the previous Halo's just gave us the armors. So why just give us the reach stuff if the majority were asking to re-earn it. By simply just giving us the stuff would have been "half yoink it". No matter what they would have done there would be some players complaining. Just play the game and you will get the stuff. It's not like you have to do anything difficult to get the stuff.
I certainly didn't hate that they gave us the armors. The biggest complaint among the majority about the armor was that you couldn't mix and match armor sets. The vocal complaints about having everything unlocked came from the minority, the forum community, that wanted everything locked so that only people that grinded again could have it. The complaints were complaints in favor of elitism.

Giving us everything is not half yoinking it. It's literally the opposite. It's making a choice.

You have to waste time in order to get all the gear you had previously. You have to grind in such a way as to unlock only the things that they want you to unlock. I can't grind and recreate my Reach character in any reasonable time frame. Because of this grind, I am playing the game less than if I had my Reach character unlocked.

The grind should have been optional for those that wanted it. For those that didn't it should have been freely unlocked. Again, you can tie that to directly checking achievements and even time stamps for achievements on the old games. They can do that quite easily. Shadowrun did exactly that 13 years ago. Metal Gear Solid did the same concept (only locally) 22 years ago.
Why is it his even still being debated?

It doesn't take all that long to unlock it all.
And why have it all for free, unlocked? Is this how you feel about the achievements too?

Some people might not like this reality: most people enjoy the act of unlocking things.
Some people like loot boxes too. Maybe that's how they should have brought back the armor pieces. By your logic that's how the game should be designed.

This is being debated because there are opinions on both sides of this and it does taker longer than people are willing to play and are less likely to play specifically because of it. The grind you enjoy that keeps you playing is the thing that prevents me from playing more regularly. I want it all unlocked because I already unlocked it and put in my dues and feel robbed by being asked to do it again. I don't care about achievements because achievements are numbers, they are not the things I worked for in Reach.

What you're asking isn't why do I want everything for free; what you're asking is why do I want stuff I worked for.
Unfortunately now that I have completed the armor collection for a 2nd time (easy), I will feel robbed if you get it for free.....just play the game.
Please leave me alone. You have been blocked yet I still get updates from your trolling.
not trolling, just disagreeing
Yes you have and I'm not going through this again. I asked you to stop and you clearly haven't since you found me again. I have blocked you and yet still get notifications. Just leave my posts and my name out of your mouth.
Sorry, i will not. This is a forum and I am just adding my 2 cents. I didn't have to "find" you lol I have followed this topic for some time. When i choose to add something, I do.
You haven't contributed anything to this discussion in reply to me aside from toxicity and harassment. I'm not putting up with it again.
Good grief, you take this way too seriously. My opinion is just that, an opinion. If you don't like it then so be it. That does not make anything I've done "toxic". Honestly, you have behaved like a child the entire time you have engaged in this back and forth with me. If you put half the effort into playing the game your grind would be over.
HC SOlO wrote:
HC SOlO wrote:
HC SOlO wrote:
HC SOlO wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
Ok here's the deal id say it's cool to unlock all the armor but considering MCC already gave us the extra armor in the previous Halos I just can't understand why we would have to grind for Reach armor when we literally got for free the halo 2 anniversary special armors, halo 3, and Halo 4 armors. So yea it doesn't make sense. If you gonna make us grind make us grind for everything. It doesn't make sense to have people 100% start over just because it's reupdated version be what kind of excuse my French B.S. is that. Halo 3 and Halo 4 had unlockable armors and had a lvl up system why we do we have entirely different rank up system for Reach is beyyyoooond me in the words of Haha Davis from IG.
People didn't like the lack of guaranteed progression (ranks were based on skill and could be lowered/reset because of bugs). With the addition of Halo: Reach, making its armor unlockable was a logical choice (especially with all the praise the original game's system gets nowadays).
Yea, but that's no excuse for them to make all the past halo earnable armor for free but not make Reach free. If you're going to make us grind. Make us grind for everything. Don't half -Yoink- it.
But most of us hated that the previous Halo's just gave us the armors. So why just give us the reach stuff if the majority were asking to re-earn it. By simply just giving us the stuff would have been "half yoink it". No matter what they would have done there would be some players complaining. Just play the game and you will get the stuff. It's not like you have to do anything difficult to get the stuff.
I certainly didn't hate that they gave us the armors. The biggest complaint among the majority about the armor was that you couldn't mix and match armor sets. The vocal complaints about having everything unlocked came from the minority, the forum community, that wanted everything locked so that only people that grinded again could have it. The complaints were complaints in favor of elitism.

Giving us everything is not half yoinking it. It's literally the opposite. It's making a choice.

You have to waste time in order to get all the gear you had previously. You have to grind in such a way as to unlock only the things that they want you to unlock. I can't grind and recreate my Reach character in any reasonable time frame. Because of this grind, I am playing the game less than if I had my Reach character unlocked.

The grind should have been optional for those that wanted it. For those that didn't it should have been freely unlocked. Again, you can tie that to directly checking achievements and even time stamps for achievements on the old games. They can do that quite easily. Shadowrun did exactly that 13 years ago. Metal Gear Solid did the same concept (only locally) 22 years ago.
Why is it his even still being debated?

It doesn't take all that long to unlock it all.
And why have it all for free, unlocked? Is this how you feel about the achievements too?

Some people might not like this reality: most people enjoy the act of unlocking things.
Some people like loot boxes too. Maybe that's how they should have brought back the armor pieces. By your logic that's how the game should be designed.

This is being debated because there are opinions on both sides of this and it does taker longer than people are willing to play and are less likely to play specifically because of it. The grind you enjoy that keeps you playing is the thing that prevents me from playing more regularly. I want it all unlocked because I already unlocked it and put in my dues and feel robbed by being asked to do it again. I don't care about achievements because achievements are numbers, they are not the things I worked for in Reach.

What you're asking isn't why do I want everything for free; what you're asking is why do I want stuff I worked for.
Unfortunately now that I have completed the armor collection for a 2nd time (easy), I will feel robbed if you get it for free.....just play the game.
Please leave me alone. You have been blocked yet I still get updates from your trolling.
not trolling, just disagreeing
Yes you have and I'm not going through this again. I asked you to stop and you clearly haven't since you found me again. I have blocked you and yet still get notifications. Just leave my posts and my name out of your mouth.
Sorry, i will not. This is a forum and I am just adding my 2 cents. I didn't have to "find" you lol I have followed this topic for some time. When i choose to add something, I do.
You haven't contributed anything to this discussion in reply to me aside from toxicity and harassment. I'm not putting up with it again.
Good grief, you take this way too seriously. My opinion is just that, an opinion. If you don't like it then so be it. That does not make anything I've done "toxic". Honestly, you have behaved like a child the entire time you have engaged in this back and forth with me. If you put half the effort into playing the game your grind would be over.
Leave me alone.
AshamanND wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
Big T Mac10,

[edit]I'm not sure if Mario kart is the best comparison - what exactly were the things that were unlocked? Modes, tracks etc? Pretty sure Reach in MCC lets you play any level you want right from the start, without having to beat a level first.

[/edit]Look, we're both fans of Halo, and we've both played a lot of the games. I'm glad we both love the series.
I appreciate your perspective on some of the things you mention - we're not gonna see eye to eye on the unlock system and I'm ok with that.

But seriously. You actually want MCC Loot boxes.
I don't even know what else to say.
OMG.
You: "No one can refute my claim."
Me: Easily refutes claim
You: "That doesn't count!"

No, it counts. Everything was locked in Mario Kart 8. Tracks, characters and parts. Deluxe unlocks the vast majority of it by default. It is literally the exact thing you insinuated has never happened in a remaster.

And why shouldn't I want loot boxes? If I'm going to get screwed by grinding out armor parts I don't want, why not increase my chance of getting the pieces I want earlier?
Tracks is like missions in Halo. They don't count. Honestly.
Parts (from my understanding) were still locked in Deluxe. Doesn't count.
Characters - OK, one part of this game had unlocks that were given. But not everything was unlocked, and that's my point.

I actually agree with you about getting armor parts I don't want too - the linear unlock system is dumb. The points should allow freedom of what to unlock. But having to unlock them, in my mind, isn't the issue (just the order).

If you want to die on the loot box hill, be my guest. People might have spent money on them in many games, but by and large the overall gaming community does not like them. Especially when randomized. Most people prefer playing and earning an unlock instead of paying for it. You're on the internet, you must know this, right?
lol I have nothing to lose by them adding loot boxes. That's my point. This system might as well be loot boxes to me and honestly I haven't heard why it would be a worse system than the one we have now. If the unlocks are all the exact same and all my character's gear are late pass unlocks then why wouldn't I want a gamble that I unlock them or some of them, earlier than the current system?
EDIT: You're conflating loot boxes with paid only loot boxes.
Paid loot boxes are the worst yes.

But even random 'free' loot boxes are entirely less satisfying than actually earning something through gameplay.

Loot boxes in any form are inferior.

The linear unlock system is definitely bad. Allowing for some type of choice in the spending of the Season Point would be much better.

Now, I will compromise on this loot box thing for one possibility.
If they gave us the choice of say 10 different things to unlock with our Season point within a certain tier, that would be good.
But also give us the choice to use that Season Point for a 'loot box' random opportunity to get something from a higher tier. But there would need to be an element of risk, perhaps there is also a chance that Season point spent on a loot box would yield nothing. At least there is a risk/reward involved now - but still giving us a guaranteed option to spend it on a known item. This system would require the ability to earn Season Points beyond tier 100, to account for people that gambled away their points.

But to switch to a pure loot box system - no, that's not going to happen.
AshamanND wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
Big T Mac10,

[edit]I'm not sure if Mario kart is the best comparison - what exactly were the things that were unlocked? Modes, tracks etc? Pretty sure Reach in MCC lets you play any level you want right from the start, without having to beat a level first.

[/edit]Look, we're both fans of Halo, and we've both played a lot of the games. I'm glad we both love the series.
I appreciate your perspective on some of the things you mention - we're not gonna see eye to eye on the unlock system and I'm ok with that.

But seriously. You actually want MCC Loot boxes.
I don't even know what else to say.
OMG.
You: "No one can refute my claim."
Me: Easily refutes claim
You: "That doesn't count!"

No, it counts. Everything was locked in Mario Kart 8. Tracks, characters and parts. Deluxe unlocks the vast majority of it by default. It is literally the exact thing you insinuated has never happened in a remaster.

And why shouldn't I want loot boxes? If I'm going to get screwed by grinding out armor parts I don't want, why not increase my chance of getting the pieces I want earlier?
Tracks is like missions in Halo. They don't count. Honestly.
Parts (from my understanding) were still locked in Deluxe. Doesn't count.
Characters - OK, one part of this game had unlocks that were given. But not everything was unlocked, and that's my point.

I actually agree with you about getting armor parts I don't want too - the linear unlock system is dumb. The points should allow freedom of what to unlock. But having to unlock them, in my mind, isn't the issue (just the order).

If you want to die on the loot box hill, be my guest. People might have spent money on them in many games, but by and large the overall gaming community does not like them. Especially when randomized. Most people prefer playing and earning an unlock instead of paying for it. You're on the internet, you must know this, right?
lol I have nothing to lose by them adding loot boxes. That's my point. This system might as well be loot boxes to me and honestly I haven't heard why it would be a worse system than the one we have now. If the unlocks are all the exact same and all my character's gear are late pass unlocks then why wouldn't I want a gamble that I unlock them or some of them, earlier than the current system?
EDIT: You're conflating loot boxes with paid only loot boxes.
Paid loot boxes are the worst yes.

But even random 'free' loot boxes are entirely less satisfying than actually earning something through gameplay.

Loot boxes in any form are inferior.

The linear unlock system is definitely bad. Allowing for some type of choice in the spending of the Season Point would be much better.

Now, I will compromise on this loot box thing for one possibility.
If they gave us the choice of say 10 different things to unlock with our Season point within a certain tier, that would be good.
But also give us the choice to use that Season Point for a 'loot box' random opportunity to get something from a higher tier. But there would need to be an element of risk, perhaps there is also a chance that Season point spent on a loot box would yield nothing. At least there is a risk/reward involved now - but still giving us a guaranteed option to spend it on a known item. This system would require the ability to earn Season Points beyond tier 100, to account for people that gambled away their points.

But to switch to a pure loot box system - no, that's not going to happen.
If there's 100 things in a given pass and the thing I had previously grinded out is at level 96-100, as would be typical, why would I be better suited with a strict battlepass with each unlock being fixed as opposed to a loot box with a random item and a chance of the higher tiered item I had previously being rewarded earlier knowing that loot boxes and the strict rewards are unlocked at the same interval?

I'm not going to argue that there aren't better solutions, but I fail to see how a rigged system that the game currently has is better than a slightly less rigged system with a chance of happiness, however small, sooner.
AshamanND wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
Big T Mac10,

[edit]I'm not sure if Mario kart is the best comparison - what exactly were the things that were unlocked? Modes, tracks etc? Pretty sure Reach in MCC lets you play any level you want right from the start, without having to beat a level first.

[/edit]Look, we're both fans of Halo, and we've both played a lot of the games. I'm glad we both love the series.
I appreciate your perspective on some of the things you mention - we're not gonna see eye to eye on the unlock system and I'm ok with that.

But seriously. You actually want MCC Loot boxes.
I don't even know what else to say.
OMG.
You: "No one can refute my claim."
Me: Easily refutes claim
You: "That doesn't count!"

No, it counts. Everything was locked in Mario Kart 8. Tracks, characters and parts. Deluxe unlocks the vast majority of it by default. It is literally the exact thing you insinuated has never happened in a remaster.

And why shouldn't I want loot boxes? If I'm going to get screwed by grinding out armor parts I don't want, why not increase my chance of getting the pieces I want earlier?
Tracks is like missions in Halo. They don't count. Honestly.
Parts (from my understanding) were still locked in Deluxe. Doesn't count.
Characters - OK, one part of this game had unlocks that were given. But not everything was unlocked, and that's my point.

I actually agree with you about getting armor parts I don't want too - the linear unlock system is dumb. The points should allow freedom of what to unlock. But having to unlock them, in my mind, isn't the issue (just the order).

If you want to die on the loot box hill, be my guest. People might have spent money on them in many games, but by and large the overall gaming community does not like them. Especially when randomized. Most people prefer playing and earning an unlock instead of paying for it. You're on the internet, you must know this, right?
lol I have nothing to lose by them adding loot boxes. That's my point. This system might as well be loot boxes to me and honestly I haven't heard why it would be a worse system than the one we have now. If the unlocks are all the exact same and all my character's gear are late pass unlocks then why wouldn't I want a gamble that I unlock them or some of them, earlier than the current system?
EDIT: You're conflating loot boxes with paid only loot boxes.
Paid loot boxes are the worst yes.

But even random 'free' loot boxes are entirely less satisfying than actually earning something through gameplay.

Loot boxes in any form are inferior.

The linear unlock system is definitely bad. Allowing for some type of choice in the spending of the Season Point would be much better.

Now, I will compromise on this loot box thing for one possibility.
If they gave us the choice of say 10 different things to unlock with our Season point within a certain tier, that would be good.
But also give us the choice to use that Season Point for a 'loot box' random opportunity to get something from a higher tier. But there would need to be an element of risk, perhaps there is also a chance that Season point spent on a loot box would yield nothing. At least there is a risk/reward involved now - but still giving us a guaranteed option to spend it on a known item. This system would require the ability to earn Season Points beyond tier 100, to account for people that gambled away their points.

But to switch to a pure loot box system - no, that's not going to happen.
If there's 100 things in a given pass and the thing I had previously grinded out is at level 96-100, as would be typical, why would I be better suited with a strict battlepass with each unlock being fixed as opposed to a loot box with a random item and a chance of the higher tiered item I had previously being rewarded earlier knowing that loot boxes and the strict rewards are unlocked at the same interval?
I dunno, neverrmind.
I don't think I articulated my idea properly, and right now I don't have the time to try to re-word it.

We're not gonna see eye to eye on this, but know that the Halo community would be WAY more upset with some type of loot box system.
AshamanND wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
Big T Mac10,

[edit]I'm not sure if Mario kart is the best comparison - what exactly were the things that were unlocked? Modes, tracks etc? Pretty sure Reach in MCC lets you play any level you want right from the start, without having to beat a level first.

[/edit]Look, we're both fans of Halo, and we've both played a lot of the games. I'm glad we both love the series.
I appreciate your perspective on some of the things you mention - we're not gonna see eye to eye on the unlock system and I'm ok with that.

But seriously. You actually want MCC Loot boxes.
I don't even know what else to say.
OMG.
You: "No one can refute my claim."
Me: Easily refutes claim
You: "That doesn't count!"

No, it counts. Everything was locked in Mario Kart 8. Tracks, characters and parts. Deluxe unlocks the vast majority of it by default. It is literally the exact thing you insinuated has never happened in a remaster.

And why shouldn't I want loot boxes? If I'm going to get screwed by grinding out armor parts I don't want, why not increase my chance of getting the pieces I want earlier?
Tracks is like missions in Halo. They don't count. Honestly.
Parts (from my understanding) were still locked in Deluxe. Doesn't count.
Characters - OK, one part of this game had unlocks that were given. But not everything was unlocked, and that's my point.

I actually agree with you about getting armor parts I don't want too - the linear unlock system is dumb. The points should allow freedom of what to unlock. But having to unlock them, in my mind, isn't the issue (just the order).

If you want to die on the loot box hill, be my guest. People might have spent money on them in many games, but by and large the overall gaming community does not like them. Especially when randomized. Most people prefer playing and earning an unlock instead of paying for it. You're on the internet, you must know this, right?
lol I have nothing to lose by them adding loot boxes. That's my point. This system might as well be loot boxes to me and honestly I haven't heard why it would be a worse system than the one we have now. If the unlocks are all the exact same and all my character's gear are late pass unlocks then why wouldn't I want a gamble that I unlock them or some of them, earlier than the current system?
EDIT: You're conflating loot boxes with paid only loot boxes.
Paid loot boxes are the worst yes.

But even random 'free' loot boxes are entirely less satisfying than actually earning something through gameplay.

Loot boxes in any form are inferior.

The linear unlock system is definitely bad. Allowing for some type of choice in the spending of the Season Point would be much better.

Now, I will compromise on this loot box thing for one possibility.
If they gave us the choice of say 10 different things to unlock with our Season point within a certain tier, that would be good.
But also give us the choice to use that Season Point for a 'loot box' random opportunity to get something from a higher tier. But there would need to be an element of risk, perhaps there is also a chance that Season point spent on a loot box would yield nothing. At least there is a risk/reward involved now - but still giving us a guaranteed option to spend it on a known item. This system would require the ability to earn Season Points beyond tier 100, to account for people that gambled away their points.

But to switch to a pure loot box system - no, that's not going to happen.
If there's 100 things in a given pass and the thing I had previously grinded out is at level 96-100, as would be typical, why would I be better suited with a strict battlepass with each unlock being fixed as opposed to a loot box with a random item and a chance of the higher tiered item I had previously being rewarded earlier knowing that loot boxes and the strict rewards are unlocked at the same interval?
I dunno, neverrmind.
I don't think I articulated my idea properly, and right now I don't have the time to try to re-word it.

We're not gonna see eye to eye on this, but know that the Halo community would be WAY more upset with some type of loot box system.
Well then they know how I feel about the trash system the game has now.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 10
  4. 11
  5. 12
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. ...
  9. 15