Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

[Locked] Why Do I have to unlock the Reach armour again?

OP X19Doug95

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 15
Delta5931 wrote:
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
rapidwarp wrote:
Yea.. this is a little startling for me as well. I know people wanted customization, but to have to redo everything? That seems a little out there.
Well player's need a reason to level up dude. Why is this even a thread. The majority of the fan base wanted this. Why should 343 cater to your specific needs.
I wouldnt have minded a system that toned down the grinding, but this is awful. You get no EXP for Campaign or Custom games, EXP gain itself feels incredibly slow, and you dont unlock any shoulder customization until Tier 2. If it took me 2 hours to get to the Recon helmet, how long will it take me to get some Shoulder pads? Or a chestpiece? I'd take the old system any day over this new one.
The XP system isn't slow if you can finish a whole tier and more in about 2 hours. It's not like the season is going to end by Friday. You'll have months to get everything just by casually playing and you'll get everything pretty fast. You obviously haven't played any other games ever if you think this is a horrible grind.
I did not finish a tier. I got three unlocks from the first tier after two hours of game time. The issue isnt the season ending, it's that it's going to take hours to get the content that I want or customization options I want that would otherwise be avaliable almost at the start in the original Reach.

There are worse grinds than this, but this is pretty bad. I'd also advise against making generalized assumptions about how many games I've played, pal.
As I said in the other post if you got 3 unlocks in 2 hours you're the problem not the game and that's how it is with literally every game with unlocks even the original Reach. You have to work for the unlocks just like you do in every other game and just like you did with the original Reach. Go back and play it again because you did not have all the customization right off the bat like you think you did.

And you obviously haven't played a whole lot if your finding this hard to grasp.
Halo Reach on the 360 gives the player 5000 Credits from the start and the ability to purchase three helmets as well as some Shoulder pieces, possibly even a chest piece. Already, I have more customization options there within 10 minutes of booting the game than I do after two hours with this season pass system.

You're also the person who's telling me that had difficulty understanding that I did not unlock three tiers within two hours, but three unlocks. Perhaps my grasp of the system isnt the one that should be called into question?

EDIT: Actually checked, the original Halo Reach gives you the CQC Base for free, Hazop for 7,000 CR at Recruit, ODST for about 2,000 CR at Recruit, and FJ/PARA Shoulders for 250 CR each at Recruit.
And you could have just as much besides the shoulders in 10 minutes as well. Once again if it took you 2 hours to unlock the first 3 unlocks then you're the problem not the game. Maybe stop crying because they aren't giving you everything for free just because you played the original and maybe actually play the game. If you don't want to play PvP because you're so bad that you are getting next to no XP in 2 hours then play Firefight. That takes zero skill.
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
ParrotTom wrote:
X19Doug95 wrote:
It wasn't that fun back on the 360 and it looks less fun now.

Like who asked for this? And why did you ask for this? I already unlocked everything. I don't want to do it again.
Well as long as the grind isn't insanely long, I'll deal with it. Though I do have to ask why we need to unlock the preorder bonuses and the Eternal effect, we already paid for the bonuses, up to $150+ and Eternal was basically a gift.
Maybe because it's a brand new game. You didn't pay $150 for this game you paid $10. This is not the same game that you bought on the 360. You do not get everything for free just because you played the original. Have you never played a remaster before?
I never said I shouldn't have to earn everything again, just that we shouldn't have to do so with like 4 items, 3 of which I bought with my money in the original. I'm not asking for anything that was locked behind levels and credits, just the 1 armor effect they gave to us, the Officer, Recon UA/HUL3, and the Legendary effect. When did I say anything like "I earned it, I shouldn't have to do it again"? You can't earn those 4 items in the original, you had to buy 3 of them, the other was a gift on Bungie day that was unlocked through Halo Waypoint.
I kind of wish we could unlock what we wanted with the points, it was confusing at first.
ParrotTom wrote:
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
ParrotTom wrote:
X19Doug95 wrote:

Like who asked for this? And why did you ask for this? I already unlocked everything. I don't want to do it again.
Well as long as the grind isn't insanely long, I'll deal with it. Though I do have to ask why we need to unlock the preorder bonuses and the Eternal effect, we already paid for the bonuses, up to $150+ and Eternal was basically a gift.
Maybe because it's a brand new game. You didn't pay $150 for this game you paid $10. This is not the same game that you bought on the 360. You do not get everything for free just because you played the original. Have you never played a remaster before?
I never said I shouldn't have to earn everything again, just that we shouldn't have to do so with like 4 items, 3 of which I bought with my money in the original. I'm not asking for anything that was locked behind levels and credits, just the 1 armor effect they gave to us, the Officer, Recon UA/HUL3, and the Legendary effect. When did I say anything like "I earned it, I shouldn't have to do it again"? You can't earn those 4 items in the original, you had to buy 3 of them, the other was a gift on Bungie day that was unlocked through Halo Waypoint.
And 343 isn't Bungie. It's a new game from a different company. Should feel lucky they decided to add everything even those items you paid for into the game and free at that. All you have to do is play the game. You paid for the items when Reach came out originally and got to use them. 343 is in no way obligated to give anyone anything for free or give them all their armor unlocks just because they played the original.
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
ParrotTom wrote:
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
ParrotTom wrote:
X19Doug95 wrote:

And 343 isn't Bungie. It's a new game from a different company. Should feel lucky they decided to add everything even those items you paid for into the game and free at that. All you have to do is play the game. You paid for the items when Reach came out originally and got to use them. 343 is in no way obligated to give anyone anything for free or give them all their armor unlocks just because they played the original.
You got a little shoe polish just.. no.. to the left.. not there. No. Try.. go wash your face.

Why are all the fanbois acting like keeping your old progression is blasphemy? This thread started as a question and keeps getting the response along the lines of "HOW DARE YOU..." from the 343i defense squad. They clearly have all of your stuff on record. I know because I'm looking at service records pass judgement on the bungholes on this thread.
Quote:
Ki11s0n3
Have you never played a remaster before?
Ya know, I get it when I have to start fresh on DMC Trilogy as Capcom has zero method of recording my progress on previous gen or even my old PS2 memory card. There is no reason to expect as much. Halo 4 just straight up didn't let you customize on MCC, which sure bummed me out. Regardless, no precedent to get my armor set.

https://spartans.svc.halowaypoint.com/players/Swedish%20Robot/Reach/spartans/fullbody?target=large

Look. It's my Spartan. Know where I found that? Here. It's on my profile. Heck, I don't even want to have all the armor unlocked. I'd have settled for MY armor. Let me earn the REST. 343i can clearly see what I was wearing. That picture sure didn't autogenerate itself.

Also, where are all these polls of Reach players saying they specifically DIDN'T want their Spartan back? If nobody cared, this thread would not exist. Clearly, people do. Before you smug chumps decide to chime in with "but only three or four of you give a crap!", bear in mind the people here are a splinter, of a splinter, of a splinter, of a SPLINTER of the community. Twitter and XBL this is not. So far it seems the people chiming in are a about 50/50 split. Anyone else want to point and screech about majority rule?
I was arguing for months to have a legacy reach stat page, and inheritors should have the haunted helmet coming into mcc reach.
I was high up on a lot of different leaderboards, so i guess im a minority.
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
ParrotTom wrote:
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
ParrotTom wrote:
X19Doug95 wrote:

You got a little shoe polish just.. no.. to the left.. not there. No. Try.. go wash your face.

Why are all the fanbois acting like keeping your old progression is blasphemy? This thread started as a question and keeps getting the response along the lines of "HOW DARE YOU..." from the 343i defense squad. They clearly have all of your stuff on record. I know because I'm looking at service records pass judgement on the bungholes on this thread.
Well then why don't I have all my achievements unlocked as well from when I played it or when I played Halo 3. You know I worked hard on those as well. You guys saying you worked hard to get the stuff isn't good enough. Guess what you did work hard and you got the unlocks for it and you got to enjoy them when that game was alive, but guess what. It isn't anymore. This new reach is a new game it's not that game. You want to show off your stuff from a different game then have it on your profile.

I agree that it would have been cool to have a nameplate or something for people that played the original, but in no way did I even think that i should have all my progress carried and unlocks carried over to a new game just because I worked hard 10 years ago playing the original and you thinking you guys should just shows how entitled you are.
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
ParrotTom wrote:
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
ParrotTom wrote:
X19Doug95 wrote:

Well then why don't I have all my achievements unlocked as well from when I played it or when I played Halo 3. You know I worked hard on those as well. You guys saying you worked hard to get the stuff isn't good enough. Guess what you did work hard and you got the unlocks for it and you got to enjoy them when that game was alive, but guess what. It isn't anymore. This new reach is a new game it's not that game. You want to show off your stuff from a different game then have it on your profile.

I agree that it would have been cool to have a nameplate or something for people that played the original, but in no way did I even think that i should have all my progress carried and unlocks carried over to a new game just because I worked hard 10 years ago playing the original and you thinking you guys should just shows how entitled you are.
I dunno, i think 343 finally understood this when they offered something to halo 5 players that hit max rank of 152, for infinite. Halo 5 will be how old when infinite comes out?
I was really hopeful there would at least be a legacy stat transfer.
Yeah, they didnt have to, but it would have been really nice.
Ok so there are other people that are upset with this, I am one of those people, not everyone like PvP, hell I hate it myself, so the fact that we HAVE to grind it to get the armor we want for the damn story mode really pisses me off, I didnt get Reach for the MCC to play PvP or any kind of multiplayer mode to tell the truth, I just wanted to go through the story again with updated graphics, that was it.
Nothing else from any halo game transferred from legacy to mcc. Why would the customization be any different.

At least they don't charge for it. Its just "play the game and you get stuff"

Besides you get 1 point per game(i think invasion gave me 2?) And each thing is 1 point. So just play 1 game and you get one new thing.
Nothing else from any halo game transferred from legacy to mcc. Why would the customization be any different.

Besides you get 1 point per game(i think invasion gave me 2?) And each thing is 1 point. So just play 1 game and you get one new thing.
I'm not upset that it didnt transfer over, I'm upset that the armor wasnt unlocked already like with Halo 3 and 4 on the MCC, the fact that Reach is the ONLY one that you have to work to get the armor for is what people dont like, and not everyone even plays multiplayer, a lot of people get games for their story only, and to tell the truth I would rather pay $5 to get the armor for the story mode then grind in PvP
pALUCARDq wrote:

I'm not upset that it didnt transfer over, I'm upset that the armor wasnt unlocked already like with Halo 3 and 4 on the MCC, the fact that Reach is the ONLY one that you have to work to get the armor for is what people dont like, and not everyone even plays multiplayer, a lot of people get games for their story only, and to tell the truth I would rather pay $5 to get the armor for the story mode then grind in PvP
Oh, gotcha.
Jeez. Lot of toxic spitfire here.

The more I'm thinking about this the bigger a shame I think it is that 343i didn't either: A) Entirely recreate the original progression/unlock system (for uniformity and familiarity with 360 players) or B) Since this game is literally knocking on a decade old, go ahead and just let everyone have access to all cosmetic options, like they did with Halo 3 and 4 in MCC at launch.

The system they've implemented stinks of, "You don't like Microtransactions? Try this on for size!". I'm grateful 343i finally realized that a lot of us wanted Reach to get some love in the form of a remaster, I really am. I am just nine years tired of them constantly messing with the proverbial Kool Aid when there was nothing wrong with any of it mechanically. Nobody asked them to come up with a creative way to make the armory work differently in MCC. They thought it was an opportunity to modernize it and put their own spin on Reach. Again, I'm not trying to sound like an absolute ingrate (I'm sure I do anyhow), but I honestly think 343i needs to abandon the attitude of having to do things differently from Bungie just so things are done differently. It's getting extremely old, and it makes 343i look perpetually like the petulant younger sibling who can never grow out of big brother's shadow.

Well, there's my own bit of toxic spitfire. Apologies for the hard edge on the criticism, it's just something that's frustrated me for a long time about how 343i does things.

My ultimate hope is that they can humble themselves around the negative backlash to the season system and present a better alternative in an update. I doubt this will happen, however. Logistically, I doubt it would be too difficult to do a universal unlock of all gear for every player. But I think it would be a lot harder to recreate a progression system. Either way, likely the hardest part for them would be to admit that they made a misstep by deviating from what players loved about the original.
Come on you know what this is. They could easily just give those the ability to "unlock" and those "locked" to unlock. Just because you wish to play arcade and unlock ALL character's and that is fun for you then more power for you brother. Not everyone wants to unlock and shouldn't have to unlock. Ya didn't complain about everything that was already unlocked from MCC. OP didn't go from PS to XBOX or vice versa.
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
"It wasn't that fun back on the 360 and it looks less fun now.." - If it's less fun to you, then don't play. No one cares.
"Like who asked for this?" - Everyone asked for it, except for you.
"And why did you ask for this?" - Because it's remastered, on a different platform, and has provided new ways to unlock armor through seasons, commendations, and rank; bringing people back, instead of letting everyone enter with everything unlocked.
"I already unlocked everything. I don't want to do it again." - Good.
Hey bro how much does 343I pay you? Do you enjoy insulting strangers? I bet you are so strong and you talk to everyone in public with that tone.
343 doesn't have to pay people for compliments unlike other companies and he isn't wrong and he isn't insulting him. He's responding to the guy's post and answering his questions.
What you fail to realize is that he is being rude to him and you don't go around talking like that to people, quit acting like you two do. I'm not going to insult 6'3 color built male in person unless i'm on drugs!!! that is my point. Treat him with respect but because you two are behind a computer you feel almighty.
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
ParrotTom wrote:
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
ParrotTom wrote:
X19Doug95 wrote:

Yes. I am exactly as entitled as the people who demanded the full armor customization be implemented into MCC in the first place.

I'd like my solid gold house and rocket car now, please.

P.S. Halo 3 came with the armor unlocked in MCC. Want a mulligan? You can keep comparing apples to oranges if you want. I'll just say bananas every time you do.
Jeez. Lot of toxic spitfire here.

The more I'm thinking about this the bigger a shame I think it is that 343i didn't either: A) Entirely recreate the original progression/unlock system (for uniformity and familiarity with 360 players) or B) Since this game is literally knocking on a decade old, go ahead and just let everyone have access to all cosmetic options, like they did with Halo 3 and 4 in MCC at launch.

The system they've implemented stinks of, "You don't like Microtransactions? Try this on for size!". I'm grateful 343i finally realized that a lot of us wanted Reach to get some love in the form of a remaster, I really am. I am just nine years tired of them constantly messing with the proverbial Kool Aid when there was nothing wrong with any of it mechanically. Nobody asked them to come up with a creative way to make the armory work differently in MCC. They thought it was an opportunity to modernize it and put their own spin on Reach. Again, I'm not trying to sound like an absolute ingrate (I'm sure I do anyhow), but I honestly think 343i needs to abandon the attitude of having to do things differently from Bungie just so things are done differently. It's getting extremely old, and it makes 343i look perpetually like the petulant younger sibling who can never grow out of big brother's shadow.

Well, there's my own bit of toxic spitfire. Apologies for the hard edge on the criticism, it's just something that's frustrated me for a long time about how 343i does things.

My ultimate hope is that they can humble themselves around the negative backlash to the season system and present a better alternative in an update. I doubt this will happen, however. Logistically, I doubt it would be too difficult to do a universal unlock of all gear for every player. But I think it would be a lot harder to recreate a progression system. Either way, likely the hardest part for them would be to admit that they made a misstep by deviating from what players loved about the original.
You are the antithesis of toxic. Thank you for adding to the conversation, living up to your namesakes, and doing something other than tell other people how wrong they are for discussing things on a forum.

I've always wondered why they excised those sections from the game in favor of some pseudo-convenient uniformity? Like it was ever so hard to go into Halo 1 and pick the color blue? I'm sure part of it was them updating to a new engine and figuring they'd tweak some other things while under the hood, but I very much agree with you in that they have not handled it gracefully for the sake of making it their own.

I was really, REALLY bothered when I fired up Halo 4 (and Halo 3) only to find out FULL armor sets available with no ability to mix and match. Booting up Halo 5 for the first time was an even bigger slap in the face. Understandably, MCC could be viewed as a side project to 5 and not get the same love and care when it came to such details. Halo 5 however made it clear that it was the new way of doing things because... reasons?

I haven't actually used MCC to play Halo 3 or Halo 4 because of it. It's super cool they listened and put it back in Reach, but I think the extra mile would've been to boot up MCC Reach and see your character instead of poopy brown default Noble 6. Or black. Whatever color they are.I my eyes it reinforces how half--Yoinked!- they've handled these games.

Or I'm an entitled baby with nothing to say of merit.
To be honest I wanted to play the updated campaign with my noble 6, now that I see I'm going to have to spend a fair chunk of time in MP in order to recreate that avatar I can't pretend I'm not disappointed, I'm glad we're back to a full customisation system as with the original Reach and I'm very pleased to have the updated Reach, I'm less pleased that I'm going to have to spend time re-unlocking cosmetics I unlocked 10 years ago. I understand the motivation for using cosmetics as the proverbial carrot but I think the semi-pick your own progression system like the original would have been a better option than the straight linear progression that has been implemented.
Just wanted to point out, that's not how earning season points really works at all.

I'm only just over half thru tier 2 armor unlocks, and just about every time I've noticed season points are unlocked about the same rate as rank ups are, and they seem almost basically tied to one another. Every rank earns a new season point, essentially.

I got a new rank & season point for each game maybe thru the first 5 - 6 tiers, but past that, you're gonna need more and more EXP to actually rank up each rank (naturally). And I'm not exactly a half-bad player. I'm certainly not super amazing either, but definitely not bad either and used to be extremely good years back in Halo 3's days.

But at this point, I, a mostly generally average player, can rank up maybe once or twice within a few hours at this point if I just grind out matches. That leaves me with one or two unlocks in the span of a couple hours, and as I rank up more, that time to unlock each thing is only gonna increase.

Just figured I'd clarify that.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 15