Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

[Locked] Why Do I have to unlock the Reach armour again?

OP X19Doug95

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 15
"It wasn't that fun back on the 360 and it looks less fun now.." - If it's less fun to you, then don't play. No one cares.
"Like who asked for this?" - Everyone asked for it, except for you.
"And why did you ask for this?" - Because it's remastered, on a different platform, and has provided new ways to unlock armor through seasons, commendations, and rank; bringing people back, instead of letting everyone enter with everything unlocked.
"I already unlocked everything. I don't want to do it again." - Good.
I didn't ask for a battlepass that makes no sense.
Cough cough, you actually get Inclement Weather BEFORE you the the Gold Visor...
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
ParrotTom wrote:
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
ParrotTom wrote:
X19Doug95 wrote:
It wasn't that fun back on the 360 and it looks less fun now.

Like who asked for this? And why did you ask for this? I already unlocked everything. I don't want to do it again.
Well as long as the grind isn't insanely long, I'll deal with it. Though I do have to ask why we need to unlock the preorder bonuses and the Eternal effect, we already paid for the bonuses, up to $150+ and Eternal was basically a gift.
Maybe because it's a brand new game. You didn't pay $150 for this game you paid $10. This is not the same game that you bought on the 360. You do not get everything for free just because you played the original. Have you never played a remaster before?
I never said I shouldn't have to earn everything again, just that we shouldn't have to do so with like 4 items, 3 of which I bought with my money in the original. I'm not asking for anything that was locked behind levels and credits, just the 1 armor effect they gave to us, the Officer, Recon UA/HUL3, and the Legendary effect. When did I say anything like "I earned it, I shouldn't have to do it again"? You can't earn those 4 items in the original, you had to buy 3 of them, the other was a gift on Bungie day that was unlocked through Halo Waypoint.
And 343 isn't Bungie. It's a new game from a different company. Should feel lucky they decided to add everything even those items you paid for into the game and free at that. All you have to do is play the game. You paid for the items when Reach came out originally and got to use them. 343 is in no way obligated to give anyone anything for free or give them all their armor unlocks just because they played the original.
Well then why don't I have all my achievements unlocked as well from when I played it or when I played Halo 3. You know I worked hard on those as well. You guys saying you worked hard to get the stuff isn't good enough. Guess what you did work hard and you got the unlocks for it and you got to enjoy them when that game was alive, but guess what. It isn't anymore. This new reach is a new game it's not that game. You want to show off your stuff from a different game then have it on your profile.

I agree that it would have been cool to have a nameplate or something for people that played the original, but in no way did I even think that i should have all my progress carried and unlocks carried over to a new game just because I worked hard 10 years ago playing the original and you thinking you guys should just shows how entitled you are.
Yes. I am exactly as entitled as the people who demanded the full armor customization be implemented into MCC in the first place.

I'd like my solid gold house and rocket car now, please.

P.S. Halo 3 came with the armor unlocked in MCC. Want a mulligan? You can keep comparing apples to oranges if you want. I'll just say bananas every time you do.
You were never going to get the same system and your delusional if you think you were, but they did give us a pretty decent one. What you're failing to realize is that they added in not just the Reach armors they opened it up for New ones as well. By having the unlock system it gives players a reason to come back and keep playing. You wanting them all just unlocked and handed to you is what makes you entitled because God forbid you actually have to earn something. We're lucky they are even still updating the thing after all this time and giving us new features and games to keep coming back to when they could of just said screw it and left Reach where it was and not port the game's to PC and just focused on Infinite.
Jeez. Lot of toxic spitfire here.

The more I'm thinking about this the bigger a shame I think it is that 343i didn't either: A) Entirely recreate the original progression/unlock system (for uniformity and familiarity with 360 players) or B) Since this game is literally knocking on a decade old, go ahead and just let everyone have access to all cosmetic options, like they did with Halo 3 and 4 in MCC at launch.

The system they've implemented stinks of, "You don't like Microtransactions? Try this on for size!". I'm grateful 343i finally realized that a lot of us wanted Reach to get some love in the form of a remaster, I really am. I am just nine years tired of them constantly messing with the proverbial Kool Aid when there was nothing wrong with any of it mechanically. Nobody asked them to come up with a creative way to make the armory work differently in MCC. They thought it was an opportunity to modernize it and put their own spin on Reach. Again, I'm not trying to sound like an absolute ingrate (I'm sure I do anyhow), but I honestly think 343i needs to abandon the attitude of having to do things differently from Bungie just so things are done differently. It's getting extremely old, and it makes 343i look perpetually like the petulant younger sibling who can never grow out of big brother's shadow.

Well, there's my own bit of toxic spitfire. Apologies for the hard edge on the criticism, it's just something that's frustrated me for a long time about how 343i does things.

My ultimate hope is that they can humble themselves around the negative backlash to the season system and present a better alternative in an update. I doubt this will happen, however. Logistically, I doubt it would be too difficult to do a universal unlock of all gear for every player. But I think it would be a lot harder to recreate a progression system. Either way, likely the hardest part for them would be to admit that they made a misstep by deviating from what players loved about the original.
Well said.
@Swedish Robot:

With you 100% on this. I try not to rag on 343i needlessly, although I fully admit that in the earlier days of their handling the series I was one of the truly virulent 343i-bashers, and not all of my criticisms were wholly justified or even thought out very well. I've finally come to accept that 343i does want to do Halo well, I'm just still convinced they haven't quite figured out what that means, yet.

I'm not in any position to tell them how to do their jobs, either. But when it comes to a situation like this? I'm just disheartened immensely that it's taken almost a decade for 343i to deliver me the same amount of fun I had with Halo: Reach... By re-releasing Halo: Reach. Except, they still had to mess around with it for some reason.

I've gone from being anrgy and indignant with every move 343i made to trying to cheer them on when I think they're honestly trying to do the right things with the series. This is yet another situation where they've created a one-step forward, one-step back. It's just frustrating.

Here's hoping they're listening and trying to incorporate reasonable feedback and constructive criticism into Infinite.
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
ParrotTom wrote:
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
ParrotTom wrote:
X19Doug95 wrote:
It wasn't that fun back on the 360 and it looks less fun now.

Like who asked for this? And why did you ask for this? I already unlocked everything. I don't want to do it again.
Well as long as the grind isn't insanely long, I'll deal with it. Though I do have to ask why we need to unlock the preorder bonuses and the Eternal effect, we already paid for the bonuses, up to $150+ and Eternal was basically a gift.
Maybe because it's a brand new game. You didn't pay $150 for this game you paid $10. This is not the same game that you bought on the 360. You do not get everything for free just because you played the original. Have you never played a remaster before?
I never said I shouldn't have to earn everything again, just that we shouldn't have to do so with like 4 items, 3 of which I bought with my money in the original. I'm not asking for anything that was locked behind levels and credits, just the 1 armor effect they gave to us, the Officer, Recon UA/HUL3, and the Legendary effect. When did I say anything like "I earned it, I shouldn't have to do it again"? You can't earn those 4 items in the original, you had to buy 3 of them, the other was a gift on Bungie day that was unlocked through Halo Waypoint.
And 343 isn't Bungie. It's a new game from a different company. Should feel lucky they decided to add everything even those items you paid for into the game and free at that. All you have to do is play the game. You paid for the items when Reach came out originally and got to use them. 343 is in no way obligated to give anyone anything for free or give them all their armor unlocks just because they played the original.
Well then why don't I have all my achievements unlocked as well from when I played it or when I played Halo 3. You know I worked hard on those as well. You guys saying you worked hard to get the stuff isn't good enough. Guess what you did work hard and you got the unlocks for it and you got to enjoy them when that game was alive, but guess what. It isn't anymore. This new reach is a new game it's not that game. You want to show off your stuff from a different game then have it on your profile.

I agree that it would have been cool to have a nameplate or something for people that played the original, but in no way did I even think that i should have all my progress carried and unlocks carried over to a new game just because I worked hard 10 years ago playing the original and you thinking you guys should just shows how entitled you are.
Yes. I am exactly as entitled as the people who demanded the full armor customization be implemented into MCC in the first place.

I'd like my solid gold house and rocket car now, please.

P.S. Halo 3 came with the armor unlocked in MCC. Want a mulligan? You can keep comparing apples to oranges if you want. I'll just say bananas every time you do.
You were never going to get the same system and your delusional if you think you were, but they did give us a pretty decent one. What you're failing to realize is that they added in not just the Reach armors they opened it up for New ones as well. By having the unlock system it gives players a reason to come back and keep playing. You wanting them all just unlocked and handed to you is what makes you entitled because God forbid you actually have to earn something. We're lucky they are even still updating the thing after all this time and giving us new features and games to keep coming back to when they could of just said screw it and left Reach where it was and not port the game's to PC and just focused on Infinite.
Bananas.
Look.

None of the other games in MCC carried over ANYTHING from the original game unlocks. No Achievements or stats, nothing.
I suppose there is something to be said for things being already unlocked in H3/4 MCC, but that's a different story.

Basically, it gives people a reason to grind.
Like it or not, it does.
I'd wager there are more people interested in going for all the unlocks, than there are people that are upset about having to unlock them again.
It's just a numbers game.
And this wasn't a secret - it was well discussed months ahead of launch.

I'm somewhat happy with it. The only issue I have is how linear the system now is. You're forced into unlocking items in a particular order.

Also, if you want to see all your fancy unlocks, they're still in OG Reach.

Truth is, they wanted to breathe new life into MCC, and give people a reason to play, something to work towards.
H5 did it on a small scale with Targetmaster skin long into it's life cycle. Without any real new content to play to unlock it.
At least with Reach in MCC there is something new to grind to unlock all those things.
Yea.. this is a little startling for me as well. I know people wanted customization, but to have to redo everything? That seems a little out there.
Ya’ll need to understand, unlocking stuff makes the game a lot more fun than just having it.(For most people) Also, if anyone complains it takes to long and they don’t wanna do, I got 15 tiers yesterday in 3.5 hours. Seriously, just go with it.
Delta5931 wrote:
rapidwarp wrote:
Yea.. this is a little startling for me as well. I know people wanted customization, but to have to redo everything? That seems a little out there.
Well player's need a reason to level up dude. Why is this even a thread. The majority of the fan base wanted this. Why should 343 cater to your specific needs.
I wouldnt have minded a system that toned down the grinding, but this is awful. You get no EXP for Campaign or Custom games, EXP gain itself feels incredibly slow, and you dont unlock any shoulder customization until Tier 2. If it took me 2 hours to get to the Recon helmet, how long will it take me to get some Shoulder pads? Or a chestpiece? I'd take the old system any day over this new one.
What i really don't like is the order and how you unlock armor, i might have 5 points but can't spend it on something that's within the tier, i have to unlock it in the exact same order as everyone else.
Some are wearing the armor because they unlock it, not so much because they like it.

I got to the point thinking they will have the birthday party effect on, and now that's the only thing i heard in matches until they get to the hearts. Still the grinding isn't tedious like the original, i do wish there wasn't an xp cap for what i can get every match.
Delta5931 wrote:
rapidwarp wrote:
Well player's need a reason to level up dude. Why is this even a thread. The majority of the fan base wanted this. Why should 343 cater to your specific needs.
I wouldnt have minded a system that toned down the grinding, but this is awful. You get no EXP for Campaign or Custom games, EXP gain itself feels incredibly slow, and you dont unlock any shoulder customization until Tier 2. If it took me 2 hours to get to the Recon helmet, how long will it take me to get some Shoulder pads? Or a chestpiece? I'd take the old system any day over this new one.
What i really don't like is the order and how you unlock armor, i might have 5 points but can't spend it on something that's within the tier, i have to unlock it in the exact same order as everyone else.
Some are wearing the armor because they unlock it, not so much because they like it.

I got to the point thinking they will have the birthday party effect on, and now that's the only thing i heard in matches until they get to the hearts. Still the grinding isn't tedious like the original, i do wish there wasn't an xp cap for what i can get every match.
Kinda wish XP didn't have as much of a cap as it did. Most I've earned from a game so far is about 22k XP and that was an Invasion game where I did absolutely top tier.
Yeah, I don't like this at all. I wanted a better unlock system in Halo games, but I wanted it in NEW Halo games, not spend a -Yoink- ton of time REUNLOCKING armor I have already unlocked before after spending a lot of time grinding in the past, mostly just so I can see it in the cutscenes.
-Yoink- the battlepass system, where I have to go through mostly -Yoink- armor before I get ANYTHING I even want to get. I can't choose which armor sets I get, I'm stuck with grinding and grinding and grinding just to get mostly armor I will never use. Most people have a certain set already in their mind they want to use, so it just feels pointless getting all that other armor in between.
rapidwarp wrote:
Because players spent a lot of TIME investing in that aspect of the game when it released. Why is everyone acting like a dismissive -Yoink- on here? You're not allowed to ask questions on a forum? Or is that too specific of a need of mine to be catered to? Oh, look at me doing it again. Those darn question marks. Apparently the only point of this place is to imply people are stupid and turn them away from the community.

Sit and spin on it, bucko. Goes for you too, Tiberius.
The entitlement is strong with this one.
I agree. I wasted my life playing Reach matchmaking, which I never enjoyed, to get all of the armor I wanted, so why should I have to waste 50 or so hours reunlocking what I already earned? It's so tedious.
Id unlock it all again for a legacy stats page showing what I accumulated over all those years 😀
OwnMoss3 wrote:
rapidwarp wrote:
Because players spent a lot of TIME investing in that aspect of the game when it released. Why is everyone acting like a dismissive -Yoink- on here? You're not allowed to ask questions on a forum? Or is that too specific of a need of mine to be catered to? Oh, look at me doing it again. Those darn question marks. Apparently the only point of this place is to imply people are stupid and turn them away from the community.

Sit and spin on it, bucko. Goes for you too, Tiberius.
The entitlement is strong with this one.
I also demand a side of ranch every time I go out to restaurants. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Pray you're never my server.

Also, strong words for someone that didn't ever play the original. Why don't you go faff about the "Why Was I Banned" topic where you might have some room to talk?
I just want all my armor effects from being Bungie members etc etc. i wanna feel special ;(
Just putting something else out there, what about players, like myself, who prefer to play single player?

While the grind isn't ideal, it's not the worst, but the fact that there's no way of getting the customisations without playing online multiplayer really bugs me. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a bit of multiplayer every now and then, but I much prefer the solo campaign, and being forced to play several days worth of gameplay (Think they said they were aiming for the unlocks to take approx 100 hours of gameplay?) that I don't want to and don't enjoy just to unlock content that I have to get in a set order seems like a much worse system than the previous one... Why not have experience for single player too? Why not be able to have more choice with what you can unlock in what order?

I get they want to change it since it's a re-master, but I thought the point of re-masters was to make improvements, not make things worse?
Leumas1704 wrote:
Just putting something else out there, what about players, like myself, who prefer to play single player?

While the grind isn't ideal, it's not the worst, but the fact that there's no way of getting the customisations without playing online multiplayer really bugs me. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a bit of multiplayer every now and then, but I much prefer the solo campaign, and being forced to play several days worth of gameplay (Think they said they were aiming for the unlocks to take approx 100 hours of gameplay?) that I don't want to and don't enjoy just to unlock content that I have to get in a set order seems like a much worse system than the previous one... Why not have experience for single player too? Why not be able to have more choice with what you can unlock in what order?

I get they want to change it since it's a re-master, but I thought the point of re-masters was to make improvements, not make things worse?
They've mentioned that they plan to add challenges soon - which should allow for XP to be granted.
AshamanND wrote:
Leumas1704 wrote:

They've mentioned that they plan to add challenges soon - which should allow for XP to be granted.
That's fair if they do then. Like I said, I don't mind grinding for exp, but having to grind for exp in a gamemode you don't like takes all the fun out of it... :/
Leumas1704 wrote:

Completely agree about the unlocking armors again. I remember grinding back in the day for the specific armor that I wanted, since I'm OCD about certain things. Now, I'm going to have to do it all over again... I mean, yes I get that they wanted to keep players engaged with the game in order to have them unlock the armor, but I would also think they'd get 'credit for time played', if that makes sense.
Leumas1704 wrote:

Completely agree about the unlocking armors again. I remember grinding back in the day for the specific armor that I wanted, since I'm OCD about certain things. Now, I'm going to have to do it all over again... I mean, yes I get that they wanted to keep players engaged with the game in order to have them unlock the armor, but I would also think they'd get 'credit for time played', if that makes sense.
That's delusional thinking in these parts. You're delusional. Why are you delusional? Entitled too, mirite?

Sarcasm aside, I think they missed a chance to recognize players that got the game back when it was full price. While you could argue "that was Bungie", there wouldn't be a 343i without them. A nice lil gold star for stickin around isn't unreasonable. Unlikely, but not unreasonable.

Also, did anyone ever unlock EVERYTHING in the armory? The carrot dangling grind would still exist for most players. I only ever got to 39% complete despite voraciously playing.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 15