Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Why Do I have to unlock the Reach armour again?

OP X19Doug95

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 10
JB Linken wrote:
I don’t mind having to unlock stuff again, but I am disappointed each player has to unlock the same items in the same order.

Unlike the original Halo: Reach, where you could save up and buy an expensive item first. That said, I believe 343i has addressed this.

I wonder if this system was chosen as it’s more “Battle Pass”-like; and therefore more than likely better for player retention than being able to buy what you want right away, and then potentially quit playing.
I don’t see this new version as worse than the original. You couldn’t really buy anything you wanted because everything was locked behind ridiculously long ranks AND required credits to buy. This new version looks good to me. We have motivation to keep playing but the grind doesn’t look as bad. It’s more straightforward too. It was frustrating in the OG Reach how you had to rank up just to see armor, then unlock, and then save up credits. I would have been disappointed if everyone got all the armor without any work.
X19Doug95 wrote:
It wasn't that fun back on the 360 and it looks less fun now.

Like who asked for this? And why did you ask for this? I already unlocked everything. I don't want to do it again.
I know everyone is bashing you but I see both sides here. For someone who has been playing Reach forever and unlocked everything, I can see why you feel you should be able to enter into the game with the armor that shows your dedication to the game.

With that being said, it does make it more purposeful to play the game with an overall objective, which I would find enjoyable.

I hit level 50 in H2A back when MCC was in it's early stages and now I'm back at rank 1 due to multiple resets. I don't really care that much as it gives me something to do again. Playing ranked becomes pointless when you're max level so I welcomed a reset.

It's not like your achievements are completely gone. If you really want to show off or prove that you did it, you can just show someone your waypoint page and they can see it. You can't even see your armor in game unless you assassinate someone, so it really is just meant to say "look what I did". I get that's upsetting but keep in mind through rank resets and the Reach reset and H2 and H3 ranks not carrying over, everyone lost the "hey, look what I did" achievement at some point. You're not the only one. Back in H2 I hit level 38 in Team Hardcore legitimately and that didn't carry over. I don't even have the info for that tag anymore so I can't even prove it.

Point is, I get it but who cares honestly. The true point of the game is to play it and have fun and the perk that comes with it is reward. If you don't enjoy the game or simply only play it for the sake of that reward, I suggest not playing it.
There is allways a strong group of players who want to earn unlocks. Also, i am glad we can even use the reach like unlock system, they could of just gave us less options like they did in the past with mcc.
I have no complaints with having to unlock my entire kit all over again.
As said above, some peeps get enjoyment out of unlocking things. Makes it feel like you are achieving something.

My issue, is that you can ONLY get unlocks in Matchmaking PvP (although rumour has it, eventually, there will be challenges too.... probably also PvP Matchmaking).
I absolutely despise Matchmaking games. I bought this game for the same reason I bought the original Reach, to play Co-Op Campaign, or random derpy maps like Haunted Manor or Racetracks, with my same group of friends.
And in the original Reach, you could unlock your perfect armour kit, eventually, just by playing any game type.

Here, I'm going to have to Potatoe my way through hundreds of matches, getting carried by 1337's and No-Scopers who are going to despise my very presence on their teams, probably get kicked from many of those matches for "Playing Poorly", and struggle to ever get close to my original kit.
No doubt, I'll get the usual comments of "Git Gud Scrub", but I am not here to be some super 1337 PvP'er. I'm just here to enjoy the Campaign, with the Spartans I played it with originally.
As said above, some peeps get enjoyment out of unlocking things. Makes it feel like you are achieving something.

My issue, is that you can ONLY get unlocks in Matchmaking PvP (although rumour has it, eventually, there will be challenges too.... probably also PvP Matchmaking).
I absolutely despise Matchmaking games. I bought this game for the same reason I bought the original Reach, to play Co-Op Campaign, or random derpy maps like Haunted Manor or Racetracks, with my same group of friends.
And in the original Reach, you could unlock your perfect armour kit, eventually, just by playing any game type.

Here, I'm going to have to Potatoe my way through hundreds of matches, getting carried by 1337's and No-Scopers who are going to despise my very presence on their teams, probably get kicked from many of those matches for "Playing Poorly", and struggle to ever get close to my original kit.
No doubt, I'll get the usual comments of "Git Gud Scrub", but I am not here to be some super 1337 PvP'er. I'm just here to enjoy the Campaign, with the Spartans I played it with originally.
100% agree with you here, the fact that there's no way to get any unlocks in single player is really bad. If they added exp for campaign missions, so you could still level up by replaying them as well as online multiplayer, I wouldn't have any complaints about it, but as you said, there's a lot of people that play specifically for multiplayer, and a lot that don't, and forcing them into the mix together makes it more of a chore to unlock stuff rather than fun, and at the end of the day, if you're not having fun playing a game, you stop playing it. If their idea is to try and keep players interested, it could backfire pretty significantly...
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
ParrotTom wrote:
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
ParrotTom wrote:
X19Doug95 wrote:
It wasn't that fun back on the 360 and it looks less fun now.

Like who asked for this? And why did you ask for this? I already unlocked everything. I don't want to do it again.
Well as long as the grind isn't insanely long, I'll deal with it. Though I do have to ask why we need to unlock the preorder bonuses and the Eternal effect, we already paid for the bonuses, up to $150+ and Eternal was basically a gift.
Maybe because it's a brand new game. You didn't pay $150 for this game you paid $10. This is not the same game that you bought on the 360. You do not get everything for free just because you played the original. Have you never played a remaster before?
I never said I shouldn't have to earn everything again, just that we shouldn't have to do so with like 4 items, 3 of which I bought with my money in the original. I'm not asking for anything that was locked behind levels and credits, just the 1 armor effect they gave to us, the Officer, Recon UA/HUL3, and the Legendary effect. When did I say anything like "I earned it, I shouldn't have to do it again"? You can't earn those 4 items in the original, you had to buy 3 of them, the other was a gift on Bungie day that was unlocked through Halo Waypoint.
And 343 isn't Bungie. It's a new game from a different company. Should feel lucky they decided to add everything even those items you paid for into the game and free at that. All you have to do is play the game. You paid for the items when Reach came out originally and got to use them. 343 is in no way obligated to give anyone anything for free or give them all their armor unlocks just because they played the original.
Well then why don't I have all my achievements unlocked as well from when I played it or when I played Halo 3. You know I worked hard on those as well. You guys saying you worked hard to get the stuff isn't good enough. Guess what you did work hard and you got the unlocks for it and you got to enjoy them when that game was alive, but guess what. It isn't anymore. This new reach is a new game it's not that game. You want to show off your stuff from a different game then have it on your profile.

I agree that it would have been cool to have a nameplate or something for people that played the original, but in no way did I even think that i should have all my progress carried and unlocks carried over to a new game just because I worked hard 10 years ago playing the original and you thinking you guys should just shows how entitled you are.
Yes. I am exactly as entitled as the people who demanded the full armor customization be implemented into MCC in the first place.

I'd like my solid gold house and rocket car now, please.

P.S. Halo 3 came with the armor unlocked in MCC. Want a mulligan? You can keep comparing apples to oranges if you want. I'll just say bananas every time you do.
You were never going to get the same system and your delusional if you think you were, but they did give us a pretty decent one. What you're failing to realize is that they added in not just the Reach armors they opened it up for New ones as well. By having the unlock system it gives players a reason to come back and keep playing. You wanting them all just unlocked and handed to you is what makes you entitled because God forbid you actually have to earn something. We're lucky they are even still updating the thing after all this time and giving us new features and games to keep coming back to when they could of just said screw it and left Reach where it was and not port the game's to PC and just focused on Infinite.
You, are not only a complete -Yoink-, but also one of the biggest fanboys I have ever seen on the internet, holy -Yoink-.
For those of us who have lives (something I do not expect you to be familiar with) this system simply, does not work, it takes a couple hours to get shoulder pads. And no, shoulder pads are not the 3rd unlock, but the 11th. It could quite possibly take me 100 hours of gameplay before I can get just some of the armour pieces I'd like.
Leumas1704 wrote:

100% agree with you here, the fact that there's no way to get any unlocks in single player is really bad. If they added exp for campaign missions, so you could still level up by replaying them as well as online multiplayer, I wouldn't have any complaints about it, but as you said, there's a lot of people that play specifically for multiplayer, and a lot that don't, and forcing them into the mix together makes it more of a chore to unlock stuff rather than fun, and at the end of the day, if you're not having fun playing a game, you stop playing it. If their idea is to try and keep players interested, it could backfire pretty significantly...
Yeah I agree. I like the unlock system and I’m enjoying multiplayer; however, people should have the option to unlock armor by just playing the campaign. I think 343i is looking in to it. They are trying to keep players from abusing the system.
My thoughts exactly. It's -Yoink-,plain and simple. We spent months grinding all of this out already,just because it's running on a new engine doesn't mean we should have to grind blindly for everything again. What's the point in linking accounts if progress won't carry over? Come on. If this is some ploy to sell micro-transactions I'm going to kill someone.
Leumas1704 wrote:
Just putting something else out there, what about players, like myself, who prefer to play single player?

While the grind isn't ideal, it's not the worst, but the fact that there's no way of getting the customisations without playing online multiplayer really bugs me. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a bit of multiplayer every now and then, but I much prefer the solo campaign, and being forced to play several days worth of gameplay (Think they said they were aiming for the unlocks to take approx 100 hours of gameplay?) that I don't want to and don't enjoy just to unlock content that I have to get in a set order seems like a much worse system than the previous one... Why not have experience for single player too? Why not be able to have more choice with what you can unlock in what order?

I get they want to change it since it's a re-master, but I thought the point of re-masters was to make improvements, not make things worse?
Exactly, I love the multiplayer, but I'm not an avid player of it, I mostly play this game for the campaigns, and the armor is mostly just so I can do certain customization settings in the cutscenes for it. I wanted an armor unlock system that was better than Halo 5's RNG microtransaction ways, but for the NEXT Halo game. I've ALREADY unlocked all these armors and now my work has basically been hit with the factory reset option.
JB Linken wrote:
I don’t mind having to unlock stuff again, but I am disappointed each player has to unlock the same items in the same order.

Unlike the original Halo: Reach, where you could save up and buy an expensive item first. That said, I believe 343i has addressed this.

I wonder if this system was chosen as it’s more “Battle Pass”-like; and therefore more than likely better for player retention than being able to buy what you want right away, and then potentially quit playing.
I don’t see this new version as worse than the original. You couldn’t really buy anything you wanted because everything was locked behind ridiculously long ranks AND required credits to buy. This new version looks good to me. We have motivation to keep playing but the grind doesn’t look as bad. It’s more straightforward too. It was frustrating in the OG Reach how you had to rank up just to see armor, then unlock, and then save up credits. I would have been disappointed if everyone got all the armor without any work.
The grind is way worse than it was in the original. If you saw a piece of armor you wanted, you didn't have to waste the points that it cost on other things, you could save them up and then buy that one specifically once you hit the right rank, but now in this new version you still need to level up enough to get it, but now you're just wasting everything on worthless armor that will most likely never be worn, or at least not until you get an actually better piece.
The unlocking process is the same as in both, but this new version is just unnecessarily more tedious.
God1383 wrote:
Yea.. this is a little startling for me as well. I know people wanted customization, but to have to redo everything? That seems a little out there.
Ya’ll need to understand, unlocking stuff makes the game a lot more fun than just having it.(For most people) Also, if anyone complains it takes to long and they don’t wanna do, I got 15 tiers yesterday in 3.5 hours. Seriously, just go with it.
And not everyone has time to do that. I love the multiplayer of Halo, but I'm also not in the mood to just grind it out in multiplayer where I'd rather be playing campaign or something else. If they want me to just waste my time doing the same thing over and over before I get even a hint of something I may actually like, then I'm going to feel bad for 343i when they keep getting posts about people just sitting in the matches AFK, but I'm not going to just seamlessly grind or something that already took a LOT of my time to unlock once before.
Vytlo5569 wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
The grind is way worse than it was in the original. If you saw a piece of armor you wanted, you didn't have to waste the points that it cost on other things, you could save them up and then buy that one specifically once you hit the right rank, but now in this new version you still need to level up enough to get it, but now you're just wasting everything on worthless armor that will most likely never be worn, or at least not until you get an actually better piece.
The unlocking process is the same as in both, but this new version is just unnecessarily more tedious.
What are you talking about? You couldn’t save up for Mark V, Mark VI, Recon, and Gungnir at the beginning. You still had to take forever, unlocking many ranks. The only difference is now they removed credits and just give you armor at ranks. That seems like a good thing to me.
Vytlo5569 wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
What are you talking about? You couldn’t save up for Mark V, Mark VI, Recon, and Gungnir at the beginning. You still had to take forever, unlocking many ranks. The only difference is now they removed credits and jair give you armor at ranks. That seems like a good thing to me.
Technically, you could. You just couldn't buy any other helmets at the start.

The system is good on the back-end because it was a grind for EXP and credits. The problem with the new system on the front-end, is that you have zero choice in what you unlock. You have to unlock what 343 has dictated you can unlock.
It's gonna be about 26 or so hours of gametime until you get a new set of kneepads.
Delta5931 wrote:
Vytlo5569 wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
What are you talking about? You couldn’t save up for Mark V, Mark VI, Recon, and Gungnir at the beginning. You still had to take forever, unlocking many ranks. The only difference is now they removed credits and jair give you armor at ranks. That seems like a good thing to me.

The system is good on the back-end because it was a grind for EXP and credits. The problem with the new system on the front-end, is that you have zero choice in what you unlock. You have to unlock what 343 has dictated you can unlock.
It's gonna be about 26 or so hours of gametime until you get a new set of kneepads.
I’m not sure what your talking about. There is was a lot of armor locked at the beginning of Reach. Even if you somehow had the credits, you couldn’t buy a lot of stuff. Some stuff isn’t even visible until certain ranks. The only difference is that it was easier to get a few pieces of armor early.
Delta5931 wrote:
Vytlo5569 wrote:
JB Linken wrote:

I’m not sure what your talking about. There is was a lot of armor locked at the beginning of Reach. Even if you somehow had the credits, you couldn’t buy a lot of stuff. Some stuff isn’t even visible until certain ranks. The only difference is that it was easier to get a few pieces of armor early.
Right. And that's the problem with the current system. It took at least six hours of gameplay to unlock shoulderpads that could be bought at the start in the original Reach. There were a lot more options at the start than there is here. I mean, even the ODST helmet, which was a Recruit-level unlock for 2000 Credits in the original Reach (you get 5000 Credits at Recruit level) takes over 15 hours of gametime to unlock under this new system.
Delta5931 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
Vytlo5569 wrote:
JB Linken wrote:

Right. And that's the problem with the current system. It took at least six hours of gameplay to unlock shoulderpads that could be bought at the start in the original Reach. There were a lot more options at the start than there is here. I mean, even the ODST helmet, which was a Recruit-level unlock for 2000 Credits in the original Reach (you get 5000 Credits at Recruit level) takes over 15 hours of gametime to unlock under this new system.
Well it’s not perfect. There’s less options in the beginning but I think it will be easier to unlock the later armor.
I admit, grinding for stuff again will be tiresome. But I'm actually fine with it. I need to take a break from grinding on Destiny 2 anyways.
Yeah sorry bro but you are gonna have to start at the bottom like the rest of us. I know the new unlock system isnt great but I would rather have it than everyone just getting the old armor set they were rocking, With that said I still think the new system needs to be improved its pointless for me to want to unlock some HAZOP heads that I will never use. 343 Knows this and will be making some changes soon.
So if i dont unlock anything and keep playing, will the points roll over into the next season, or will i have to start from scratch?
Just a "for instance" hypothetical question.
If they dont roll over, why dont they just auto unlock? Like, whats the point of unlocking it yourself.
And it could be worse.
Y'all could have been playing og reach for 6 years, unlocked everything a half decade ago, to find out nothing transfers to mcc reach, not even a legacy stats page, and your favorite gametype no longer has a veto option, theres no party option after games, and its difficulty has been nerfed.
Afk might be rampant.
The only bright side is that theres no server or lag issues like the old reach has.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 10