Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Why do I play Halo CE better on Anniversary mode?

OP Gavynnnnn

So, I own both original releases (Halo CE for the Xbox and Halo CE Anniversary for the Xbox 360), but I played Halo CE Anniversary way more. Even still, the hitboxes don't always match the models in Anniversary graphics. Despite that, I'm able to kill jackals, elites, grunts and flood (basically everything) far faster and far more consistently and precise on Anniversary graphics. It just feels more natural to me. Why is that?
Interesting, for me it’s the exact opposite. My guess is subconscious auto-aim. Your brain has probably seen overcharge an elite in the body, switch weapons, and pan up to the headshot so many times that your brain is able to know exactly when to pull the trigger in anniversary graphics but not classic.
Interesting, for me it’s the exact opposite. My guess is subconscious auto-aim. Your brain has probably seen overcharge an elite in the body, switch weapons, and pan up to the headshot so many times that your brain is able to know exactly when to pull the trigger in anniversary graphics but not classic.
The subconscious truly works in strange ways.

I find myself similar when trying to shoot a shield Jackal's hand then head in ODST. But with the exception of different ODST members.

I know they don't have stats differences, but I find it easier to do as Buck than say Rookie.

Weird right?
That makes sense!
I play better in the old
Personally, I play better with the classic graphics due to the consistency of the model's texture and hitbox in the original graphics. The Anniversary graphics sometimes throws my aim off due to the inconsistency of the hitbox with the refined graphics.
I find I play better in the old just due to that feeling more natural to me. Anniversary has some textures that don't 100% match up with some rocks, trees, etc. which sometimes throw me off. It's minimal so I still like to play anniversary but the OG version has a special place in my heart.
Agree with those who've said I actually play better with the older graphics, even though I prefer the newer ones. Sometimes the new graphics mess with you since they're not representative of what's really going on (but the old graphics are) - misleading cover items, misleading hitboxes, etc. You think you're hidden but you're not, you think you're hitting something but you're not...
Agree with those who've said I actually play better with the older graphics, even though I prefer the newer ones. Sometimes the new graphics mess with you since they're not representative of what's really going on (but the old graphics are) - misleading cover items, misleading hitboxes, etc. You think you're hidden but you're not, you think you're hitting something but you're not...
Not only this, but Hunters are actually more difficult to fight in the anniversary graphics because it doesn't show the green glow of their fuel rod cannon charging up like it does in the original. H2A has a couple of examples of artistic choices interfering with gameplay as well. These need to be fixed.

I'm holding out hope for a "Halo CE: Reanniversary" or something at some point. Still have toggleable graphics between new and original, but but make it look spectacular like H2A, not cartoonish like HCEA. Add in Blur cutscenes, eliminate the issues that interfere with gameplay, and have a new multiplayer experience and you've got a great game. The multiplayer should probably be in the Slipspace engine (similar to how H2A does not use H2C's engine), but it needs to have better parity with the original in terms of feel and design that H2A did with H2C.

A man can dream. Who knows, maybe in 2026, on the 25th anniversary. H3 should probably get this treatment before CE does though.
If you played Halo CE on anniversary graphics first, those are the ones you are more used to. But it also may have to do with lighting, and of course, hitboxes.
Gavynnnnn wrote:
So, I own both original releases (Halo CE for the Xbox and Halo CE Anniversary for the Xbox 360), but I played Halo CE Anniversary way more. Even still, the hitboxes don't always match the models in Anniversary graphics. Despite that, I'm able to kill jackals, elites, grunts and flood (basically everything) far faster and far more consistently and precise on Anniversary graphics. It just feels more natural to me. Why is that?
You play good on games your used to seeing. So even jf you didn't play a lot kf it, if you used to watch your friends or even a YouTuber, you'd ba able to hell your hand eye coordination but being more familiar with, yes, the hit boxes whether youve played that game a lot or not. Assuming your good with a controller/preferred device prior to that.
Frame rate also probably has something to do with it. It's much easier to aim when you're working with more frames. Don't quote me here, I don't have the exact numbers but I believe each game runs at the following:

Halo CE on original Xbox probably runs sub-30 fps
Halo CE Anniversary on 360 runs at 30 fps
Halo CE Anniversary on MCC runs at upwards of 60 fps
Exactly or I think I've jumped in the right spot in a map in modern mode........instead there's nothing there in classic, 2 seconds later dead.
Not only this, but Hunters are actually more difficult to fight in the anniversary graphics because it doesn't show the green glow of their fuel rod cannon charging up like it does in the original. H2A has a couple of examples of artistic choices interfering with gameplay as well. These need to be fixed.

I'm holding out hope for a "Halo CE: Reanniversary" or something at some point. Still have toggleable graphics between new and original, but but make it look spectacular like H2A, not cartoonish like HCEA. Add in Blur cutscenes, eliminate the issues that interfere with gameplay, and have a new multiplayer experience and you've got a great game. The multiplayer should probably be in the Slipspace engine (similar to how H2A does not use H2C's engine), but it needs to have better parity with the original in terms of feel and design that H2A did with H2C.

A man can dream. Who knows, maybe in 2026, on the 25th anniversary. H3 should probably get this treatment before CE does though.
I actually like CEA the way it is! I always thought CE was cartoony anyway.
Gavynnnnn wrote:

I actually like CEA the way it is! I always thought CE was cartoony anyway.
I agree, but also back then CE was really good, and now CEA is pretty (really)good for a Cartoon.
Because they cleaned it up a little bit.