1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I have noticed this across almost every game that I play. Why does no one use a mic anymore? Headsets are way cheaper than they used to be, so a lot of people should have one. I have been playing a ton of BTB on MCC and its not as fun because the community is almost non existent. Is there something we can do to return people to game chat? We need to make it an unwritten rule for Halo players to go back to game chat.
Many players including myself would rather play in silence or talk with there friends in party chat than go through the crap shoot of game chat. I would imagine most PC players will probably prefer to use discord over game chat too.
There are more options compared to the past so game chat isn't a requirement for people to talk with one another anymore. TBH, until MCC gets improvements in that area, I'd rather keep it how it is now since you can't even see who's talking in CE or H2C. You basically have to either mute each player until you find the annoying person or you have to mute everyone which neither is ideal.
Many players including myself would rather play in silence or talk with there friends in party chat than go through the crap shoot of game chat. I would imagine most PC players will probably prefer to use discord over game chat too.
Whats wrong with game chat though? I think its funny talking to new people, and they could either be really funny or really annoying. That's the fun of it.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
There are more options compared to the past so game chat isn't a requirement for people to talk with one another anymore. TBH, until MCC gets improvements in that area, I'd rather keep it how it is now since you can't even see who's talking in CE or H2C. You basically have to either mute each player until you find the annoying person or you have to mute everyone which neither is ideal.
What can the next Halo do to make it better? Or the MCC update. To give incentives to people who have mics in game chat.
What can the next Halo do to make it better? Or the MCC update. To give incentives to people who have mics in game chat.
Well they're working on a progression system so maybe that will encourage people to use their mics more in order to win games, but it's not really an incentive if they're already using a mic in party chat or a different application. Don't really know for the next game.
Personally when I play MCC it's with 4-5 of my buddies and we are in a private chat. Whenever I play alone I normally do not wear a headset because someone on my team is normally a kid yelling, heavily breathing into the mic, playing music I do not care for, talking randomly to their spouse, etc.
Yeah, I don't really think the microphone thing is all that popular nowadays. Friends and team mates using mics for private chats while playing is the most common scenario, but otherwise mics aren't really... in vogue, so to speak. Blame the fact that there are young pre-teens out there screaming at other players over the mics for the drop in popularity, if you will. After all, why deal with it if you don't have to? Mics may make it easier for team players to communicate, but otherwise it's just useless anyway. Besides, talking to someone over the mic can be a distraction when I'm trying to listen for sounds of battle or the noise of specific weapons being used by team mates or enemies nearby.
Yeah, I don't really think the microphone thing is all that popular nowadays. Friends and team mates using mics for private chats while playing is the most common scenario, but otherwise mics aren't really... in vogue, so to speak. Blame the fact that there are young pre-teens out there screaming at other players over the mics for the drop in popularity, if you will. After all, why deal with it if you don't have to? Mics may make it easier for team players to communicate, but otherwise it's just useless anyway. Besides, talking to someone over the mic can be a distraction when I'm trying to listen for sounds of battle or the noise of specific weapons being used by team mates or enemies nearby.
I guess that’s true. But wasn’t it great when you lobbied in halo 3 and there was a full on screaming match between 7 people?
In this day and age I stay in party chat. There's times where I drop swear words not at anyone but just like oh that yoink got me again or their taking the yoink flag out front. Don't want to get reported for my language even though I'm not directing it anyone.
Whats wrong with game chat though? I think its funny talking to new people, and they could either be really funny or really annoying. That's the fun of it.
Rolling the dice on whether or not I'm going to be annoyed by somebody isn't something I find fun. If you enjoy it, that's all well and good. But, I got my fill of that sort of stuff back in the H2/H3 days. The trash talk, screaming, and awful music drove me away from using gamechat as soon as party chat became an option on the Xbox 360.

I still have nightmares of everybody screaming "Veto! Veto! Veto!" in every single Halo 3 lobby.
They probably just use it for the party that they are in.
You can blame Xbox party chat for no one using mics in game chat.
In this day and age I stay in party chat. There's times where I drop swear words not at anyone but just like oh that yoink got me again or their taking the yoink flag out front. Don't want to get reported for my language even though I'm not directing it anyone.
Ugh it's true. I tend to let my language slip too. I would definitely get reported.
Because Party Chat.

Also there's little incentive for Halo players to use their mics online.
I know how you feel. I have had times where I was playing SWAT with Randoms and while I try to communicate and no one does. Still, that is better than having your own teammates telling you to shut up and stop talking when you are simply calling out enemy locations from time to time. Now adays to avoid this, most people just stick to private/party chats. That way they can just talk to those they want to and not have to listen to those they don't want to. Hell, I have seen people complaining about the in-game callouts that characters do in Halo 5, which in all honestly, I love because I get more help from the "teammate" callouts that the game automatically does over actual communication from my teammates.
It's not that people don't have mics, it's just that people would rather chat in parties instead of in-game and run the risk of getting reported for something they say.
Mainly I prefer to fire up pandora or spotify and listen to music while I play with my headset unplugged. Or I'm talking to my friends in a party. Most of the time when I hear people talking on their mics, its mainly just crap talking, annoying kids, or just jerks in general.
I have noticed this across almost every game that I play. Why does no one use a mic anymore? Headsets are way cheaper than they used to be, so a lot of people should have one. I have been playing a ton of BTB on MCC and its not as fun because the community is almost non existent. Is there something we can do to return people to game chat? We need to make it an unwritten rule for Halo players to go back to game chat.
After you experience racism and death threats can you really blame people like me for not wanting to talk in game chat?
I guess 343 could give xp bonuses for people in a party... Which would increase the likelihood of solo players opening up their mic to look for willing participants. But that's all I can think of that will encourage mic usage.

This would require an xp progression system (glaring at you, MCC).
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2