1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I kind of miss the trash talking before and after games, kinda added an extra dimension when you crushed people or vice versa.
with the advent of party chat we were liberated, but in using this chat we have lost a true treasure in the online gaming sphere and that was the ability to meet new people, or talk smack.
I did enjoy the proximity chat during H3. I remember on grifball I would yell into the mic (including all the friends on my team) and could hear enemies Yelp as I hammered them.
Darth5shot wrote:
I guess 343 could give xp bonuses for people in a party... Which would increase the likelihood of solo players opening up their mic to look for willing participants. But that's all I can think of that will encourage mic usage.

This would require an xp progression system (glaring at you, MCC).
Apparently they are adding a MCC progression system which would be pretty cool. I feel like my games are meaningless right now. But once they add a progression system, with reach included it will spark a lot of activity.
I have a mic but I only use it when I have friends online. It feels awkward talking to the wall. When someone is using a mic, they’re usually some guy eating Doritos, listening to music, or talking to someone else. Another reason is that I’m a quiet person and I don’t know callouts well. I’ve had people get frustrated with me for lack of communication but I play better when I’m not talking. Then there are those toxic players who use every racist, homophobic, and sexual slur they can think of. Xbox Live makes me think that everyone is a bigot. I don’t know if they’re really that racist or they just try to shock everyone. Either way, I can’t stand that kind of constant language. To be clear, I’m not complaining about an occasional square over dying.

Maybe a solution for people who like game chat is a playlist that requires a mic. It could be a playlist that doesn’t allow parties. Or maybe have a preference option like Halo Reach. Players could choose chattiness level and the game could match them with other people who want to talk.
I have a few dozen friends with mics I met in the past year!
I'll admit I don't use a mic much anymore. But it's a bummer that when I sometimes get nostalgic and wanna bust it out, no one has one.
I have a headset, I just don't use it when playing with randoms. I'm not a very social player to begin with, much less with people I don't know at all.
I kind of miss the trash talking before and after games, kinda added an extra dimension when you crushed people or vice versa.
That was one of the main reasons why I avoided using headsets in open lobbies. A little friendly trash talking isn't too bad, but more often than not...I mostly got children who sound like they haven't hit puberty yet cussing more than a sailor because they think it's "cool" too cuss constantly. That or have some butthurt player scream about how he wanted me to die horribly or how he was going to rape my mom/sister because I managed to get a lucky headshot on him once in a SWAT match or he would make an easy target by constantly camping in super open/obvious areas.

Normally, if I entered a match and heard someone along those lines...I would just mute them or jump into party chat with people I actually wanted to talk to.
I did enjoy the old game chat especially single life games like Gears of War and Search and Destroy where all the dead players can talk together. You could mute the absolute idiots and have some great back and forth during games with your team and the enemy.

Felt like ranked had a lot of callouts and mics but not a lot else. Would have liked social games to be more social. Chat about life and such. Maybe action sack or something could have an on and off setting to talk between teammates and the enemy.

PSVR online games are great as people are much more vocal in them. Maybe we will see a return to that one day.
I encounter players with mics like 4 or 5 games ago and they were hilarious.

dang it’s been that long I ever post a comment on the forums.
I encounter players with mics like 4 or 5 games ago and they were hilarious.

dang it’s been that long I ever post a comment on the forums.
Yeah I was playing MCC last night and this teenager was raging really hard and I was crying laughing. not everyone has to have mics, but the good old days everyone did, so theres a lot of nostalgia playing socially.
Game chat goes through the game servers, party chat goes through ms live servers. Because I know this I’m aware that I’d be subject to confirmation bias but in my experience talking through game chat causes lag.

we are talking, we’re just in parties. I only ever switch to game chat if I feel a specific reason to talk to someone: like telling them where I’ll be going with a flag or something so I can toss it to them. If I’m by myself and I see someone going to the flag, I might switch on chat to say something like “I have tunnels clear if you grab the flag.”
People who say this will not be better on PC are mistaken IMO. I play overwatch and pretty much every game of competitive has at least 4 of 6 people on a team will have a mic and communicate. It's really fun chatting with new people and using communication to beat the other teams. Almost every session I play I run into someone being absolutely hilarious on my team and have a good laugh with them. I think there will be lots of chat MCC comes to PC, I really hope they add proximity chat because it was so fun just making jokes to the other team mid game.
Game chat goes through the game servers, party chat goes through ms live servers. Because I know this I’m aware that I’d be subject to confirmation bias but in my experience talking through game chat causes lag.

we are talking, we’re just in parties. I only ever switch to game chat if I feel a specific reason to talk to someone: like telling them where I’ll be going with a flag or something so I can toss it to them. If I’m by myself and I see someone going to the flag, I might switch on chat to say something like “I have tunnels clear if you grab the flag.”
I believe it's the other way around. The party chat is where it lags at and in game is faster. The problem is game chat works not even half the time. Sometimes when you think they don't have a mic you actually just can't hear them, and the chat delay gives you less time to react to a callout.
There's usually only ONE other guy with a mic when I join a 8v8 or 4v4 game (I use one), and no one else. It ruins the teamwork.
I’ve been playing halo wars 2 lately and NO ONE has a mic. Way easier to coordinate strategy with mics. Smh. Friend me if you got a mic and play HW2
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2