Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Why does Team Hardcore remove the motion tracker?

OP Geth Pathfinder

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. ...
  6. 5
You're failing to see that it takes more skill to predict movement with your own brain rather than use a game mechanic to assist you. If you throw someone who relies on radar into hardcore, he's going to have a bad time. I know this because I'm a living example. I played high-ranked team slayer and doubles in H3 for years before I switched over to the MLG list. I had to re-learn how to predict players because I was taught to rely on my radar.
It’s two entirely different methods of prediction. One is a visible trajectory and you’re going to make your predictions based on that. Hard data that you and your opponent can use in the moment. You can’t run around a corner and just disappear. The other is based on a hunch. Could be a hunch based on experience but that doesn’t really mean much. “May the best guess win” isn’t really a competitive notion. That’s why I’m saying hardcore modes afford more cover, easier getaways shorter kill times. That’s the very definition of cat-and-mouse.
You're failing to see that it takes more skill to predict movement with your own brain rather than use a game mechanic to assist you. If you throw someone who relies on radar into hardcore, he's going to have a bad time. I know this because I'm a living example. I played high-ranked team slayer and doubles in H3 for years before I switched over to the MLG list. I had to re-learn how to predict players because I was taught to rely on my radar.
It’s two entirely different methods of prediction. One is a visible trajectory and you’re going to make your predictions based on that. Hard data that you and your opponent can use in the moment. You can’t run around a corner and just disappear. The other is based on a hunch. Could be a hunch based on experience but that doesn’t really mean much. “May the best guess win” isn’t really a competitive notion. That’s why I’m saying hardcore modes afford more cover, easier getaways shorter kill times. That’s the very definition of cat-and-mouse.
It’s not a hunch, it’s awareness. Good players know how to keep track of where the other team is without needing the motion tracker.

“Hardcore modes afford more cover, easier getaways, and shorter kill times.”

Those first two directly contradict the third...
iCandid wrote:
It’s not a hunch, it’s awareness. Good players know how to keep track of where the other team is without needing the motion tracker.

It’s not contradictory. Once you finally chase somebody down into a corner they can’t back out of its just a matter of landing your shots. Given that everyone is using precision weapons that’s usually a quick kill. Ergo, shorter kill times.
You can have as much awareness as you want but once somebody goes outside of you or your teams visuals you are operating on guesswork. That is literally the equivalent of “he went that way!” Even the best players in the world don’t know what’s happening when they don’t have visual. They might have a hunch, depending on what direction the enemy went and so on and so forth but awareness is a defensive tool for you and your team’s immediate space. It can’t often be applied offensively. Unless you’re a Jedi, you’re not going to extend your awareness beyond your immediate surroundings.
iCandid wrote:

It’s not contradictory. Once you finally chase somebody down into a corner they can’t back out of its just a matter of landing your shots. Given that everyone is using precision weapons that’s usually a quick kill. Ergo, shorter kill times.
You can have as much awareness as you want but once somebody goes outside of you or your teams visuals you are operating on guesswork. That is literally the equivalent of “he went that way!” Even the best players in the world don’t know what’s happening when they don’t have visual. They might have a hunch, depending on what direction the enemy went and so on and so forth but awareness is a defensive tool for you and your team’s immediate space. It can’t often be applied offensively. Unless you’re a Jedi, you’re not going to extend your awareness beyond your immediate surroundings.
Man, there must be a lot of Jedi then. Its almost like an 4v4 environment is not that large a space and with enough information you can either locate most player based on you and your teammates observations, your understanding of the the map, the spawns, your experience, and enemy behavior, or at the very least be confident enough of where players are not that you can move without being paralyzed by the fear your are going to blunder into enemies. And even then, if someone manages to slip through the cracks then they deserve to get the kill because they are not limited to camping to avoid detection at close range like you are when MT is enabled.

You can stick your fingers in your ears and pretend that its all just "guesswork" all you want, it doesn't change the fact that people have been effectively locating enemy players without needing to physically see them for over a decade. The players who can quickly and reliably locate players without MT are simply better players. Refusing to acknowledge something outside your experience as being impossible or "guesswork" and refusing to learn just shows your own limits as a player. You can't tell us the Earth is flat when we've been to space...
iCandid wrote:

Sorry to say, but as the guy above me just said, calling "guesswork" on all the MLG mechanics blatantly shows your limited in-game knowledge and strategies. If you think that without properly seeing enemies you're forced to rely on your guesses alone, you're lacking:
- Spawn system knowledge;
- Communication skills;
- Power weapon based strategies;
- Spawn timings awareness;
- Basic attention to what's properly happening in the game aside from your visor.

Basically, as you yourself already admitted, you rely solely on your radar to play the game. I guess all you do is to wander around the map constantly looking for a red dot in your MT, maybe going to some power weapon or enemy's base from time to time. That's not the most efficient way to play Halo. But you simply can not understand it as long as you play radar based gametypes, since it's literally a blindfold for people that ain't got competitive skills.
"Guesswork" is just an ignorant (literally, no offence) word you use when you watch a MLG PoV of a guy playing MLG Pit that spawns in his snipe tower basement at 12:10, sees his teammates dying in different parts of the map and "randomly guesses" (you would say) to go to the center of the map (Greenbox) to "casually find" (you would say) Rockets spawning on him a bunch of seconds after and then "casually getting" (you would say) a double kill with those rockets in enemy's GreenBox straight after. If you started to play competitive with a mindset willing to learn and to detach your brain from the concept of Motion Tracker, you would realize that the guy probably didn't randomly choose to push GreenBox, didn't casually find rockets just when they spawned, and didn't luckily find enemies pushing the same spot.

I can give you another example with this video:
https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/giafra/video/80634046
If you think that what I'm doing and how I'm moving in this video is merely based on pure guesses, you definitely need to drastically improve your game awareness and playstyle to find the real player that's hidden in you.

Then also I would argue instead that radar is a powerful and useful tool to the competitive players even more, since combining a total game awareness with a precise mapping of your enemies' movements in your next 25 metres literally gives you a semi God mode. I've been playing almost exclusively MLG these past years and recently I moved to social from time to time to play with some other friends who play social, and I'll tell you, a game in which I go less than +10 it's quite rare, even if now I get matched with very skilled people thanks to the new social matchmaking rules. The only times I die is either because I find people camping corners of Guardian with the shotgun or because I push too much for some kill medal.

Try to have in mind these infos the next time you try H3 Hardcore:
http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/news/weapon-and-power-up-respawn-times-2

And watch all of these videos made by FlameSword for every competitive map:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QftcgTAiWTQ

Once you start giving attention to these "details", you'll realize that the arrow indicator on top of your teammates' head with their service tag is far more important than your Motion Tracker ;)
giafra wrote:
iCandid wrote:

Sorry to say, but as the guy above me just said, calling "guesswork" on all the MLG mechanics blatantly shows your limited in-game knowledge and strategies. If you think that without properly seeing enemies you're forced to rely on your guesses alone, you're lacking:
- Spawn system knowledge;
- Communication skills;
- Power weapon based strategies;
- Spawn timings awareness;
- Basic attention to what's properly happening in the game aside from your visor.

Basically, as you yourself already admitted, you rely solely on your radar to play the game. I guess all you do is to wander around the map constantly looking for a red dot in your MT, maybe going to some power weapon or enemy's base from time to time. That's not the most efficient way to play Halo. But you simply can not understand it as long as you play radar based gametypes, since it's literally a blindfold for people that ain't got competitive skills.
"Guesswork" is just an ignorant (literally, no offence) word you use when you watch a MLG PoV of a guy playing MLG Pit that spawns in his snipe tower basement at 12:10, sees his teammates dying in different parts of the map and "randomly guesses" (you would say) to go to the center of the map (Greenbox) to "casually find" (you would say) Rockets spawning on him a bunch of seconds after and then "casually getting" (you would say) a double kill with those rockets in enemy's GreenBox straight after. If you started to play competitive with a mindset willing to learn and to detach your brain from the concept of Motion Tracker, you would realize that the guy probably didn't randomly choose to push GreenBox, didn't casually find rockets just when they spawned, and didn't luckily find enemies pushing the same spot.

I can give you another example with this video:
https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/giafra/video/80634046
If you think that what I'm doing and how I'm moving in this video is merely based on pure guesses, you definitely need to drastically improve your game awareness and playstyle to find the real player that's hidden in you.

Then also I would argue instead that radar is a powerful and useful tool to the competitive players even more, since combining a total game awareness with a precise mapping of your enemies' movements in your next 25 metres literally gives you a semi God mode. I've been playing almost exclusively MLG these past years and recently I moved to social from time to time to play with some other friends who play social, and I'll tell you, a game in which I go less than +10 it's quite rare, even if now I get matched with very skilled people thanks to the new social matchmaking rules. The only times I die is either because I find people camping corners of Guardian with the shotgun or because I push too much for some kill medal.

Try to have in mind these infos the next time you try H3 Hardcore:
http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/news/weapon-and-power-up-respawn-times-2

And watch all of these videos made by FlameSword for every competitive map:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QftcgTAiWTQ

Once you start giving attention to these "details", you'll realize that the arrow indicator on top of your teammates' head with their service tag is far more important than your Motion Tracker ;)
Disregarding any assumptions you made about the way I play, as that was pretty insulting, it doesn’t matter how much you base it off of. If somebody goes somewhere you can’t see them, you can’t see them. If the game was always played that way, like countless other shooters, you wouldn’t see anybody complaining. However, motion tracker is one of Halo’s iconic features and one of the main multiplayer functions that separates it from others. Ironically, you also said what I’ve been saying this entire time, that using the skills you’re talking about and team coordination along with radar is—your words here—: “a powerful and useful tool to competitive players even more when combined with total map awareness...”
which was my entire -Yoinking!- point to begin with in advocating why it should be in the -Yoinking!- hardcore/pro/MLG whatever modes. -Yoink-.
WerepyreND wrote:
iCandid wrote:

Man, there must be a lot of Jedi then. Its almost like an 4v4 environment is not that large a space and with enough information you can either locate most player based on you and your teammates observations, your understanding of the the map, the spawns, your experience, and enemy behavior, or at the very least be confident enough of where players are not that you can move without being paralyzed by the fear your are going to blunder into enemies. And even then, if someone manages to slip through the cracks then they deserve to get the kill because they are not limited to camping to avoid detection at close range like you are when MT is enabled.

You can stick your fingers in your ears and pretend that its all just "guesswork" all you want, it doesn't change the fact that people have been effectively locating enemy players without needing to physically see them for over a decade. The players who can quickly and reliably locate players without MT are simply better players. Refusing to acknowledge something outside your experience as being impossible or "guesswork" and refusing to learn just shows your own limits as a player. You can't tell us the Earth is flat when we've been to space...
“4v4 space isn’t that large and with enough information...”-guesswork

“you and your teammates observation...”-team guesswork

“understanding of the map, the spawns, your experience, and enemy behavior...” —educated guesswork

”be confident of where players are not...”—ignorant guesswork

None of that is hard data like the motion tracker. And I’m not unwilling to learn. I’ve already played the -Yoink- out of both experiences and from those experiences I’ve determined that gameplay with the motion tracker is always more upfront gameplay that focuses largely on overall combat skills instead of various boring flanking strategies. The point is not whether you NEED a motion tracker or not. Never did I say I can’t play the game without it or that it nobody else can either. The whole point was to make a case for why the game would be more competitive and true to the series with it included. Even if you think it would be less competitive, altering the regular rules of the standard game itself and declaring that alternate game where everything works differently the championship mode just sucks.
Disregarding any assumptions you made about the way I play, as that was pretty insulting, it doesn’t matter how much you base it off of. If somebody goes somewhere you can’t see them, you can’t see them. If the game was always played that way, like countless other shooters, you wouldn’t see anybody complaining. However, motion tracker is one of Halo’s iconic features and one of the main multiplayer functions that separates it from others. Ironically, you also said what I’ve been saying this entire time, that using the skills you’re talking about and team coordination along with radar is—your words here—: “a powerful and useful tool to competitive players even more when combined with total map awareness...”
which was my entire -Yoinking!- point to begin with in advocating why it should be in the -Yoinking!- hardcore/pro/MLG whatever modes. -Yoink-.
"If somebody goes somewhere you can't see them, you can't see them" is indeed a true statement, good thing we have all mastered object permanence and gone on to develop our critical thinking skills that can, when combined with the very limited nature of your typical 4v4 map, give better players a pretty darn clear image of the battlefield.

The "staring at the red dots on the map" meta of MT is hardly unique among shooters. Both CoD and BF player have spent years looking at the minimap to find enemies and unsurprisingly, the players who are heavily reliant on simply being given real time enemy locations struggle to locate targets and complain loudly about it.

Yes, Radar is a powerful tool, it is so powerful in fact, that in the hands to two high level teams playing to win, it can result in a complete stagnate gameplay, because surprise when you combine the high level ability to locate players with real time information of every moving player within 25 meters you have no effective means of approaching players who control the power weapons and or power positions.

“understanding of the map, the spawns, your experience, and enemy behavior...” —educated guesswork

None of that is hard data like the motion tracker. And I’m not unwilling to learn. I’ve already played the -Yoink- out of both experiences and from those experiences I’ve determined that gameplay with the motion tracker is always more upfront gameplay that focuses largely on overall combat skills instead of various boring flanking strategies. The point is not whether you NEED a motion tracker or not. Never did I say I can’t play the game without it or that it nobody else can either. The whole point was to make a case for why the game would be more competitive and true to the series with it included. Even if you think it would be less competitive, altering the regular rules of the standard game itself and declaring that alternate game where everything works differently the championship mode just sucks.
Silly me for thinking deductive reasoning has any merit. Going back to that whole "object permanence" chestnut, you understand that there is not a infinite number of locations that a player can be once you have lost sight of them right? They can only be in so many places and can only have gone so far in so much time. There is not an equal chance of a specific player being in both bottom blue and Pink 3 on Midship , in a specific time, in a specific set of circumstances.

You keep stating that all this is nothing but "guesswork" and that you would have to be a "Jedi" to have any sort of knowledge outside of your immediate senses, but this is just demonstrably untrue. You have people right in front to you telling you that the "Jedi" exist and Obi Wan Kenobi has been staring straight at you for hours, but you still just dismiss all of it as "guesswork."

Serious question: Do you think we are just lying to you? To what end? Is is really so hard to believe that there might be a good reason why the removal of MT is one of maybe two things that competitive players have been able to agree upon in all 18 years of Halo's existence?

Altering the "regular rules" is not uncommon in other competitive environments. It took me all of 10 seconds to google the differences between Professional and College Football, and though you might have disagreements about which one has more competitive merit, but are you really going to tell me that either of them are "not playing real football?" In a perfect world for competitive players, removing motion tracker would likely be the only change they would feel is necessary outside of the needs of online matchmaking vs a tournament LAN. Is changing anything one thing all it takes to make something "not real Halo?"
WerepyreND wrote:
iCandid wrote:

“True to the series”. Part of Halos success has always been the ability to play the game many different ways. Just because radar belongs in core play doesn’t mean it should be part of competitive play. Halo competitively has pretty much always had radar removed.

What you’re missing is that making the game more “upfront gameplay” does not make the game more competitive. That just makes it more simple. You reach a point where these abilities are all pretty similar amongst players. Thus what separates players at a high level is the ability to make decisions and work together. What was an easy to use tool, the radar, now must be replaced by skills like communication, awareness, strategy, location, etc. That’s why it’s pretty universal in the competitive community that the game is more competitive without radar.
I can see where people are coming from with the MT removal in Hardcore. The problem I see is that most people don’t communicate in matchmaking. I know this is more of a problem with players that the mechanics. In big tournaments, players use callouts and know spawns. The problem is that most people online don’t use callout and the lack of the MT leads to having no idea what’s going on and no idea where anyone is.
The problem I see is that most people don’t communicate in matchmaking. I know this is more of a problem with players that the mechanics. In big tournaments, players use callouts and know spawns. The problem is that most people online don’t use callout and the lack of the MT leads to having no idea what’s going on and no idea where anyone is.
Like you mentioned, that's not really the playlist's fault, but it's a player issue. There are other playlists with no radar so it's not really a HC issue. If you want people to callout, you'll need to play with a party.
I can see where people are coming from with the MT removal in Hardcore. The problem I see is that most people don’t communicate in matchmaking. I know this is more of a problem with players that the mechanics. In big tournaments, players use callouts and know spawns. The problem is that most people online don’t use callout and the lack of the MT leads to having no idea what’s going on and no idea where anyone is.
Which is why no one is obligated to play in that particular playlist? That is also why we have ranked playlists on top of hidden matchmaking parameters. Players who are not interested in learning or communicating are only going to get so far and while that can be frustrating for the person who is trying to do both of those things, one player can still make a difference. It can definitely be a slog working your way through ranks while solo queuing, but the effort will begin to bear fruit eventually. Not to mention that you are more likely to run into players using their mics in a hardcore playlist than you likely would in regular MM.

it is certainly harder to locate players without a communicating team, it isn't impossible. There is no guarantee that the enemy have any better awareness that you or your teammates. I don't find being paired with a silent teammate any more or less frustrating than getting paired with a teammate with potato aim. It is just one the risks you take with a matchmaking system whether the playlist is hardcore or not.
One way to think about it (team or no team communication):

Think of 2 people. One person who pretty much only ever plays with MT (team slayer, BTB, ffa, etc.) on and one who almost never plays with MT (MLG, swat, hardcore,etc.).

If both people switch the game mode they’re playing/queuing up for to the opposite playlist(s), often the person who usually only plays with MT won’t perform as well in a non-MT game mode until they have developed the skills/spatial awareness that are needed to survive in that environment. Whereas a person that is accustomed to playing with no MT will transition much better when adding a MT on top of being able to play without one.

Both ways of playing can have sweaty matches that are action packed and intense while being textbook competitive by literal definition, but playing without a MT seems to have an additional level of skill/ability that is needed to play well that often isn’t as well developed until you cut off the use of the MT.

Now that being said, if you play against players who know how use their MT’s effectively that does add a certain layer of challenge in its own right, can change strategies, etc.

Personally though I think there is a steeper learning curve in “getting gud” when playing without a MT (especially if solo), so that’s probably another reason (among many) that created the culture surrounding “competitive” play in Halo.

-Edit(s) were grammar related-
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. ...
  6. 5