Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Why don't people like sprinting on halo?

OP A Wild Alien

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
o XaVi3r o wrote:
In a game like Halo with a longer TTK and an emphasis on map control and positioning sprint just doesn't make any sense. It makes much more sense to give every player a faster base movement speed if the argument is to increase game speed (which why else would it be there then for that reason). The idea that sprint in its current state increases game speed is just wrong. Your spartan sprinting /= faster paced gameplay. Quite the opposite.

H5's mechanic tries to address this but doesn't remove the fact that sprint takes you out of combat, the maps have to be made larger to accommodate and it will still not eliminate people running away.

It is in my opinion the second worst thing to ever happen to Halo... the first being flinch over descope. Thank god that is removed.
but wouldn't spiriting allow map control to happen faster, or allow you to get there faster, you sacrifice shooting on the move for faster movement.
I think it sounds okay in halo 5 but when I try the beta guess we will all know.
Because it's not Halo.
Sprint has no place in halo.
Yeah but i been playing alone most the time on halo 2 anniversary and sometimes it's to hard to win when there is groups and you can't escape like 2 or 3 on you cause your not gonna take all 3 legit players most the time and i find sprinting then use full sometimes i don't mind if they run from me i can run to and i still end up getting the kill same with halo 4 but i did find some good reasons why other then big maps on halo if i can't run i find it boring and slow

This is a situation where you should die.... Halo is about teamwork and smart decision making, not choosing a poor position then sprinting away

This sums up why sprint is bad in one simple sentence. Halo is about positioning, map control and map awareness. Sprint means you can escape from engagements where by all rights you should be dead. Theres your answer.
it just makes halo not as engaging to me. I felt like in halo2 and 1 were slow from moving around the map. even when I was playing through the campagn, i felt like I was going to fall asleep. but with halo 4, I was able to stay awake and made me more into the game
It's clear you're a fan of Halo 4, awesome. Halo 4 was not 'core' Halo gameplay. Probably why you like Halo 4 over the others is that its more, modernised. Modernised in the sense of loadouts, sprint and all the other stuff that takes away from what makes Halo MP so great in the eyes of the long term players. Sprint detracts from the core dynamics of what Halo is meant to be all about.
First off, 3190 is not a very good sample size for trying to speak for the community, you have no way of knowing what kind of players you interviewed and if the majority of your interviewees disliked Halo 4 just because it wasn't Halo 1-3.

Second, while I agree some things in Halo 4 needed to be removed, (loadouts, flinching, larger maps, etc) sprinting was not one of them. Sprinting allowed me to get to my teammates quicker or escape from combat when a bad situation showed up.

Helping teammates and using strategy is what Halo is about, sprinting lets me get back to my team faster, not a problem.

Getting out of combat when you know you can't win is being a smart player, if the opponent cannot follow me because my team is covering me then that is good teamwork, not a problem.

I think the main reason that people have a problem with sprinting is because it allows you to get back into the fight and kill the person who just killed you before their shields come back. This is the fault of the re-spawn system not sprint. Halo tried to copy an aspect of Call of Duty that CoD players already hate. Revenge kills. The spawning algorithm was weighted so that if the enemy was alone you would spawn near your opponent to get a revenge kill. Halo 4 essentially scrapped the idea of holding positions in the map because your opponents would spawn so close that holding positions was worthless.

I like the way Halo 5 is focusing on two things, returning to what made Halo Halo, and Movement. After playing games like Titanfall and the new CoD that focus heavily on movement I enjoy being able to get around in many different ways. The sprinting in Halo 5 seems balanced to punish people that just keep running away until their shields regen instead of getting back up from teammates.
I liked it in Reach because you had to choose to sacrifice an armor ability for it. It being baseline in Halo 4, while not necessarily being a bad thing, changed the gameplay dynamically. Fire fights became that of 'who could run to cover and pop shot faster' rather than 'those of who could outgun the other player' like former Halo games.
I didn't actually have any problems with sprint in Reach. I think it's partly to do with the fact that map design wasn't based around everyone having sprint as a default ability, so obviously it didn't play too much of a part in terms of the placement and scale of the maps. Many people hate on Reach but I enjoyed it a lot, it was a lot of fun.
Yeah but i been playing alone most the time on halo 2 anniversary and sometimes it's to hard to win when there is groups and you can't escape like 2 or 3 on you cause your not gonna take all 3 legit players most the time and i find sprinting then use full sometimes i don't mind if they run from me i can run to and i still end up getting the kill same with halo 4 but i did find some good reasons why other then big maps on halo if i can't run i find it boring and slow

This is a situation where you should die.... Halo is about teamwork and smart decision making, not choosing a poor position then sprinting away

This sums up why sprint is bad in one simple sentence. Halo is about positioning, map control and map awareness. Sprint means you can escape from engagements where by all rights you should be dead. Theres your answer.
it just makes halo not as engaging to me. I felt like in halo2 and 1 were slow from moving around the map. even when I was playing through the campagn, i felt like I was going to fall asleep. but with halo 4, I was able to stay awake and made me more into the game

It's clear you're a fan of Halo 4, awesome. Halo 4 was not 'core' Halo gameplay. Probably why you like Halo 4 over the others is that its more, modernised. Modernised in the sense of loadouts, sprint and all the other stuff that takes away from what makes Halo MP so great in the eyes of the long term players. Sprint detracts from the core dynamics of what Halo is meant to be all about.
Sprinting doesn't change a situation from should die to didn't die. If your team has great positioning and a player run's into a "should die" situation but escapes regardless of how they escaped that was your team's fight to lose. If the player can escape by sprinting your team position was not good enough, and get this you can sprint too. Your argument sounds similar to this...

"A player ran into a situation where they should have died but got an overshield the instant it spawned and was able to escape."

Does this make the player who escaped a bad player because they used something that was available to them to escape? No, in fact this player is most likely a very good player for knowing what they could handle and knowing when the overshield would spawn.
First off, 3190 is not a very good sample size for trying to speak for the community, you have no way of knowing what kind of players you interviewed and if the majority of your interviewees disliked Halo 4 just because it wasn't Halo 1-3.

Second, while I agree some things in Halo 4 needed to be removed, (loadouts, flinching, larger maps, etc) sprinting was not one of them. Sprinting allowed me to get to my teammates quicker or escape from combat when a bad situation showed up.

Helping teammates and using strategy is what Halo is about, sprinting lets me get back to my team faster, not a problem.

Getting out of combat when you know you can't win is being a smart player, if the opponent cannot follow me because my team is covering me then that is good teamwork, not a problem.

I think the main reason that people have a problem with sprinting is because it allows you to get back into the fight and kill the person who just killed you before their shields come back. This is the fault of the re-spawn system not sprint. Halo tried to copy an aspect of Call of Duty that CoD players already hate. Revenge kills. The spawning algorithm was weighted so that if the enemy was alone you would spawn near your opponent to get a revenge kill. Halo 4 essentially scrapped the idea of holding positions in the map because your opponents would spawn so close that holding positions was worthless.

I like the way Halo 5 is focusing on two things, returning to what made Halo Halo, and Movement. After playing games like Titanfall and the new CoD that focus heavily on movement I enjoy being able to get around in many different ways. The sprinting in Halo 5 seems balanced to punish people that just keep running away until their shields regen instead of getting back up from teammates.
Even if you get into a situation that your going to lose they should kill you as theyve managed to get into that position. Halo gameplay isnt meant to be like titanfall or whatever, I love those games but if you want that gameplay you dont want halo gameplay, halo shouldnt have to morph to what you want it to be. If you positioned yourself correctly you should be able to help that player or if you cant position yourself for whatever reason thats fine but that player dies as a result of it you shouldnt be able to win every encounter just because they got you in a bad spot.

halo 5 isnt returning to what made halo halo other than returning to equal starts, its adding more gimmicks.

Sprinting doesn't change a situation from should die to didn't die. If your team has great positioning and a player run's into a "should die" situation but escapes regardless of how they escaped that was your team's fight to lose. If the player can escape by sprinting your team position was not good enough, and get this you can sprint too. Your argument sounds similar to this...

"A player ran into a situation where they should have died but got an overshield the instant it spawned and was able to escape."

Does this make the player who escaped a bad player because they used something that was available to them to escape? No, in fact this player is most likely a very good player for knowing what they could handle and knowing when the overshield would spawn.
Sprint allows them to run into and back out of the bad spot because its so fast, it allows good players to go unpunished for making and error. No matter how good you are you wont be able to kill someone who's sprinting for cover all the time. Sprint doesnt work for halo gameplay hence halo has to be twisted for it to work, thus it ceases to play like halo.
What we must face is that in today's gaming industry developers must adapt to the status quo of the market in order to sell titles. If they continuously pumped out the exact same product there is a significant chance that they will lose their player bases due to titles which follow the trends and expectations of the general population. Very few franchises have been able to pull that sort of thing off with success such as Call of Duty and Battlefield along with the whole slew of sports related titles. They change little from title to title these days.

Now, I'm sure many of you are saying 'Why didn't Halo developers follow suit with those developers and keep the franchise relatively pure as time went on?' The answer is that Microsoft likely didn't want to take the risk of a flagship franchise being seen as stagnant. They pushed the developers to implement trendier gameplay features with the mindset to keep the players not only coming back for more but to entice newcomers of the franchise to pick up a copy of the game. Even if these features seemingly detracted from the quality of the game it mattered not. For the game would be seen as even edgier than before in order to stand in the spotlight of the Holiday shopping season.

Another symptom of this is how obvious many mainstream titles are released well before they are stable such as Battlefield 4 and the Master Chief Collection. In todays world we must follow the money in order to understand why these problems exist in the first place. It's the nature of the economic beast.
What we must face is that in today's gaming industry developers must adapt to the status quo of the market in order to sell titles. If they continuously pumped out the exact same product there is a significant chance that they will lose their player bases due to titles which follow the trends and expectations of the general population. Very few franchises have been able to pull that sort of thing off with success such as Call of Duty and Battlefield along with the whole slew of sports related titles. They change little from title to title these days.

Now, I'm sure many of you are saying 'Why didn't Halo developers follow suit with those developers and keep the franchise relatively pure as time went on?' The answer is that Microsoft likely didn't want to take the risk of a flagship franchise being seen as stagnant. They pushed the developers to implement trendier gameplay features with the mindset to keep the players not only coming back for more but to entice newcomers of the franchise to pick up a copy of the game. Even if these features seemingly detracted from the quality of the game it mattered not. For the game would be seen as even edgier than before in order to stand in the spotlight of the Holiday shopping season.

Another symptom of this is how obvious many mainstream titles are released well before they are stable such as Battlefield 4 and the Master Chief Collection. In todays world we must follow the money in order to understand why these problems exist in the first place. It's the nature of the economic beast.
Halo dodesnt sell well when it evolves to change too much, that was clear with halo 4. The halo fanbase (you know the people that keep the game alive and the ones the game is aimed at) mostly wanted a halo game that stayed true to the core and only changed slightly like H2/3 did. Halo has been criticised for changing too much and is doing worse because of it. If anything its losing money. A game doesnt always have to change according to the industry for it to do well, this viewpoint is very naive.

I like the way Halo 5 is focusing on two things, returning to what made Halo Halo.......
AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA, "going back to what made Halo Halo". Halo 5? HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA. There's no balanced sandbox anymore, there's no skilled utility weapon, there's multiple weapons that fill the same purpose, strafe is no longer important, the spawn system is not the same, the map design is accomodated for sprint, there's no longer any fall damage, there's one hit K.O melee at spawn, trick jumping is gone, Halo's movement is gone, every weapon has a scope, you can no longer nade powerups, you can't nade weapons, we don't even know if there are powerups, there's sprint, there's thrust, etce. tc. etc. Going back to what made Halo Halo, -Yoinking!- priceless. HAHAHAHHAHA

Not even close. Your example is of a player doing something good: timing the overshield and positioning appropriately, which is the complete opposite of the point I'm trying to portray.

Your argument, in terms of the overshield crap, was just that. Crap. I've lost count of the amount of times when playing Halo 4, that if it where any other game, the other guy would have killed me. Yet I could sprint to cover, regen my shields and fight back - rinsing and repeating to my leisure. The overshield analogy is moot in any case, as overshield has been a part of Halo since day 1. At the end of the day, it's just being more lenient and forgiving to the player; they made an error, yet they used sprint to alleviate it and escape/survive something that in the other games you wouldn't.
To me it's like Flash in league of legends.... except if flash didn't have a cooldown. You're allowed to play recklessly because you know you have this escape. Yes, people will adapt and learn to play that style of game, but it doesn't feel like Halo
Every one dogs on the COD franchise for not changing much, but as soon as Halo changes. We complain. I adapted back then. Have no problem with sprint. More importantly. Why are we even talkoing about this when Sprint can be taken out like it was on Reach?
Every one dogs on the COD franchise for not changing much, but as soon as Halo changes. We complain. I adapted back then. Have no problem with sprint. More importantly. Why are we even talkoing about this when Sprint can be taken out like it was on Reach?
Halo has never stayed the same and people dont want a carbon copy, you fail to realise that these people including myself want a halo game that stays true to the core but adds new stuff and doesnt change what halos gameplay feels like.

Too mich cha ge is what people dont want, people want change just the amount is what many people call stupid.
I don't mind sprint itself, but it's quite irritating to me when I get someone to a one shot and they sprint behind a corner. Then I go to chase after them and I end up running into a grenade and getting killed.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3