Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Why is 343 against sharing player numbers?

OP mattlove13

There's nothing to be embarrassed about, even if the population is lower than Halo 5's. One of the coolest things about Halo 3's menu is how you can see which parts of the world are playing the most.
There's actually a good reason behind hiding player numbers in playlists: People don't want to search in a playlist with a small number of players.

To simplify things, if you see a playlist with 100 players and a playlist with 5 players, most people are going to choose the playlist with 100 players for two reasons. First, it has more players so it must be better. Second, it has more players so it will be easier to find a match. This second reason is important to keep in mind.

When a playlist has a low population (and players know it), they avoid that playlist, which only serves to make the playlist population decrease even more. Why search in a playlist you know will have long wait times when you can search and get a match immediately in another? By removing playlist population numbers, this issue is solved because players search in whichever playlist they want, and so the population of the game is more evenly distributed.
DoubleSama wrote:
People don't want to search in a playlist with a small number of players.
MCC doesn't have social playlists, though (they're just filters on the matchmaking customization thing). I get that people might not want to play a certain ranked playlist if it has a low population, but having an overall number over the social menu wouldn't hurt it.
mattlove13 wrote:
DoubleSama wrote:
MCC doesn't have social playlists, though (they're just filters on the matchmaking customization thing). I get that people might not want to play a certain ranked playlist if it has a low population, but having an overall number over the social menu wouldn't hurt it.
I agree with that. There is nothing wrong with overall numbers. I can track how many players get on MCC (PC) on steam and its pretty cool to see when people get online and the trends throughout the year. I think MCC on steam is like the 59th most popular game by average concurrent players.
MCC is more popular than Halo 5 and still fairly high up on the Xbox charts. You can see the gameplay chart here. If you are wondering how the data is gathered, there is a link at the bottom of the article.
tuhin94 wrote:
MCC is more popular than Halo 5 and still fairly high up on the Xbox charts. You can see the gameplay chart here. If you are wondering how the data is gathered, there is a link at the bottom of the article.
I looked at how the data is calculated, but are you sure it's accurate? The Microsoft Store's 50 most-played Xbox games list includes Halo 5, whereas MCC isn't ranked.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/most-played/games/xbox
Bring it back. I concur that a Population Counter may drive players away but that's just the nature of it. Counters properly set expectations instead of potentially having players search for an extended time without success.

For example: if you are searching ranked H2C Hardcore and see that their are only 7 players searching, then you bet your booty I'll be searching to be #8.
mattlove13 wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
I looked at how the data is calculated, but are you sure it's accurate? The Microsoft Store's 50 most-played Xbox games list includes Halo 5, whereas MCC isn't ranked.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/most-played/games/xbox
Yes, it's accurate. The TA chart is calculated by seeing what games people are playing and does not take into account anything else like sales numbers, for example. The MS chart does not explain how the list gets sorted. My guess is they show games based on a combination of which ones generate the most revenue (sales, MTX, etc.), are the most talked about, and released fairly recently. MS has a business reason to show its chart (not saying this is a bad thing, please don't misunderstand), whereas the TA chart is meant purely as a chart for gamers similar to how Steam shows player numbers as mentioned above.
mattlove13 wrote:
DoubleSama wrote:
I think if you're just referring to the overall population numbers on the map there's no issue with that. But at one point H3 did have playlist population numbers listed, and this caused issues.