Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Why Season Unlocks are Bad for MCC: Explained

OP Jacoby04

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
The problem is the community as a whole demands a progression system in this day and age... I agree that progression systems are dumb overall, and don’t fit Halo...
Ok so this just isn’t true (the first part). While many gaming communities DO thrive on progression systems, I can tell you that the MCC community is looking for this in MCC; nor do I think that, by adding this to MCC, new players will suddenly want to spend 60 bucks on an “old” game. The MCC community is on MCC to continue playing the classic halo games, and to play them as they were made 15 years ago. If they wanted something new, they would be playing Destiny, or Anthem, or Fortnite. There are PLENTY of new games that offer the progression system as they are discussing implementing it in MCC.
1) If 343 is looking to support this community and keep it alive, they should stop making gameplay-altering changes to 15 year old games.
2) If 343 is looking to grow the Halo community, they should release a new Halo game (and before some idiot comments here, yes I know they are working on it, I would love for them to stop touching MCC in the meantime).
3) If 343 is looking to jump on the progression system/season bandwagon in order to make more money or to appease “modern gamers” then, again, this needs to happen in a new game not a 15 year old game.
I’m not going to fault 343 for keeping the old Halo games relevant. CE and H2 would be dead if they hadn’t brought them to the Xbox One. I’d rather have a slightly modified version of a 15 year old game I can play today then a dead, untouched original.

As I have digested some more I don’t mind adding a progression system, I can just ignore it. All the customizations that come as progression unlocks aren’t in the game at all now, so I’m not having anything taken from me.

In my mind, if adding some cosmetic unlocks helps drive engagement with MCC and sells more Gamepass subscriptions we’re probably all winners. The core gameplay of all the titles is intact and I can enjoy Halo on a modern console I’m 2019 so I’m happy.
The problem is the community as a whole demands a progression system in this day and age... I agree that progression systems are dumb overall, and don’t fit Halo...
Ok so this just isn’t true (the first part). While many gaming communities DO thrive on progression systems, I can tell you that the MCC community is looking for this in MCC; nor do I think that, by adding this to MCC, new players will suddenly want to spend 60 bucks on an “old” game. The MCC community is on MCC to continue playing the classic halo games, and to play them as they were made 15 years ago. If they wanted something new, they would be playing Destiny, or Anthem, or Fortnite. There are PLENTY of new games that offer the progression system as they are discussing implementing it in MCC.
1) If 343 is looking to support this community and keep it alive, they should stop making gameplay-altering changes to 15 year old games.
2) If 343 is looking to grow the Halo community, they should release a new Halo game (and before some idiot comments here, yes I know they are working on it, I would love for them to stop touching MCC in the meantime).
3) If 343 is looking to jump on the progression system/season bandwagon in order to make more money or to appease “modern gamers” then, again, this needs to happen in a new game not a 15 year old game.
The core gameplay of all the titles is intact and I can enjoy Halo on a modern console I’m 2019 so I’m happy.
But it’s not. It WAS. And I totally agree that 343 has done an amazing thing by making MCC. But they’ve begun making changes to the core gameplay. So while I was also happy, I am getting less happy.
To be fair not all the changes to the mcc are bad, I love the modern aiming option as just such one example, I'm excited about the new unreal engine running the updated UI crisp 3d armor instead of crappy jpeg images.Whilst I'm apprehensive about some changes none of seem like a deal breaker or will stop me to playing it the way I like.
To be fair not all the changes to the mcc are bad, I love the modern aiming option as just such one example, I'm excited about the new unreal engine running the updated UI crisp 3d armor instead of crappy jpeg images.Whilst I'm apprehensive about some changes none of seem like a deal breaker or will stop me to playing it the way I like.
Congrats? We have different opinions? I abhor the new aiming system. The point is that while 343 is doing things like a “new aiming system”, they are no longer bringing together the community, they are now dividing it, as is clearly illustrated here. You were happy MCC was made. Me too. Then 343 made changes. You are still happy. I am not.
Congrats? We have different opinions? I abhor the new aiming system. The point is that while 343 is doing things like a “new aiming system”, they are no longer bringing together the community, they are now dividing it, as is clearly illustrated here. You were happy MCC was made. Me too. Then 343 made changes. You are still happy. I am not.
The aiming system is a perfect example of if I want legecy halo experience it's still in the options menu it's not lost if I want to try a modern aiming system it's a in game option I can choose to use it or not. Isn't that what innovation is all about? Things like an adjustable fov slider, crossplay between platforms would also come into this type of category for the mcc moving foward.

I still play legacy halo on back compat and would love to see og ce and h2 to be included in this as that's the only way to keep the truly legacy halo titles alive the Mcc has already evolved far to much to ever be that again if it really was.
Yes I'm happy that a populated mcc allows more mp options that I just can't get as often playing on the legacy titles alone.
As poeple being concerned about a ranking and seasons it is merely a topical subject atm but it's hardly causing any lasting division to the community. All I'm seeing is healthy respectful debating about all of our visions for mcc moving foward.
Let's leave the divisive debate to the sprint and AA vs classic movement crowd
They are not changing anything about the game. They are adding a fun progression system to allow more players fresh content. No one is altering a game.
The core gameplay of all the titles is intact and I can enjoy Halo on a modern console I’m 2019 so I’m happy.
But it’s not. It WAS. And I totally agree that 343 has done an amazing thing by making MCC. But they’ve begun making changes to the core gameplay. So while I was also happy, I am getting less happy.
How have they made changes to the core gameplay? They literally added a progression and armor unlocking system.........
The aiming system is a perfect example of if I want legecy halo experience it's still in the options menu it's not lost if I want to try a modern aiming system it's a in game option I can choose to use it or not. Isn't that what innovation is all about? Things like an adjustable fov slider, crossplay between platforms would also come into this type of category for the mcc moving foward.

I still play legacy halo on back compat and would love to see og ce and h2 to be included in this as that's the only way to keep the truly legacy halo titles alive the Mcc has already evolved far to much to ever be that again if it really was.
Yes I'm happy that a populated mcc allows more mp options that I just can't get as often playing on the legacy titles alone.
As poeple being concerned about a ranking and seasons it is merely a topical subject atm but it's hardly causing any lasting division to the community. All I'm seeing is healthy respectful debating about all of our visions for mcc moving foward.
This gets a little off topic, but the "legacy" aim option doesn't actually match the aiming as it was before that update. I wish I could go back to the aiming before the update entirely.
Jacoby04 wrote:

This gets a little off topic, but the "legacy" aim option doesn't actually match the aiming as it was before that update. I wish I could go back to the aiming before the update entirely.
Really? . I haven't gone back except in 360 back combat games . Reach and H4 were modern aiming anyway ,
They are not changing anything about the game. They are adding a fun progression system to allow more players fresh content. No one is altering a game.
Feminine Vixen's concern is that 343 taking liberties with a modern progression system, that doesn't match Halo's style will lead to them taking additional like liberties modifying the games further.
She pointed out ways that they changed the original games that she feels is bad (I agree).
Some examples include bomb arm time in Halo 2, flag return time in Halo CE, and aim options. At this point, they are no longer keeping our legendary games alive but tweaking them to make them modern.
I personally love a lot of changes they have made since updating it again, but I do not like changes that change gameplay or the core of the way the games operated.
There are parallels between modifying the original games to modernize them, and making a modern progression system, neither of which I like.
We've gotta make sure to keep discussions friendly and about the seasonal unlocks! :)
Jacoby04 wrote:

Really? . I haven't gone back except in 360 back combat games . Reach and H4 were modern aiming anyway , I like all my setting across the whole games to be the same , there's an excellent tutorial that can give you the actual numbers for game , both legacy and modern as well as 5 , so in effect pc you could make the all the titles use legacy settings if you so desired
Jacoby04 wrote:

Really? . I haven't gone back except in 360 back combat games . Reach and H4 were modern aiming anyway ,
I'm pretty sure Reach and H4 did not have the same aiming. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but they weren't even made by the same company.
Again, this isn't the focus of the thread, just examples of concerns with taking liberties of modernizing a game to far, which people don't have to agree about.
Jacoby04 wrote:

Really? . I haven't gone back except in 360 back combat games . Reach and H4 were modern aiming anyway (reach onward used the axial and redial system prior to that was just axial if I'm remembering the setting correctly ) . , I like all my setting across the whole games to be the same , there's an excellent tutorial on YouTube that can give you the actual numbers and setting values , dead zones settings that were built in defaults for each game , both legacy and modern as well as h5 values so in effect you could make the all the titles use legacy settings if you so desired or vice versa . As long as my setting are uniform as well as controller layouts I'm happy .now I'd just love the same fov for each title as bms is pretty much the same till h5

giving the player more options for control settings, fov sliders , various controller mapping options iin no way diminishes the legacy aspect of the games it's the dev giving the player agency , same as allowing inputs like keyboard and mouse , Allowing players more freedom is exactly what mcc should be doing its progressive without altering halos core DNA .
It would be cool to have holiday themes for halo on the actual holiday. Image brute shots and ammo boxes under the Christmas 🎄 tree. Infected Easter egg hunts would be fun too. Fireworks 🎆 in the sky on fourth of July and new years maps. Turkey 🍗 day odd ball maps, crazy and silly!
I think the whole thing is bad. Keep the current skill ranks (or at least show in game what our highest skill rank achieved was) and put in an exp system to move toward ranks just like in reach. No seasons. No bs.
This is not true. Although the OP is talking about the “new content” they’ll be adding and not directly addressing the changes made to the games, 343 is in fact making changes to the game, which I address in my original comment on the post—here’s a recap:
“A while ago, my friends and I noticed the 343 changed the flag return mechanics in H1. H1 has been around for eighteen years, and now 343 has decided that it can be “improved”. Last time I played H2 with my crew, we found out that 343 has changed the bomb planting mechanic. 343 has also changed sudden death. They have changed the way H2 plays FIFTEEN YEARS after its birth. 343 has decided that, after fifteen years, its just not working.”
Now because 343 has made these changes, I have lost faith in them to maintain the integrity of the classic Halos; so although the changes they’re suggesting in regard to seasonal content and progression may only affect cosmetics, I assume changes to the gameplay are not at all off the table.
This is not true. Although the OP is talking about the “new content” they’ll be adding and not directly addressing the changes made to the games, 343 is in fact making changes to the game, which I address in my original comment on the post—here’s a recap:
“A while ago, my friends and I noticed the 343 changed the flag return mechanics in H1. H1 has been around for eighteen years, and now 343 has decided that it can be “improved”. Last time I played H2 with my crew, we found out that 343 has changed the bomb planting mechanic. 343 has also changed sudden death. They have changed the way H2 plays FIFTEEN YEARS after its birth. 343 has decided that, after fifteen years, its just not working.”
Now because 343 has made these changes, I have lost faith in them to maintain the integrity of the classic Halos; so although the changes they’re suggesting in regard to seasonal content and progression may only affect cosmetics, I assume changes to the gameplay are not at all off the table.
Valid point, along with spawn changes iand weird hit detection in H3
Jacoby04 wrote:
Well written OP Just unlock all the original games with the original intent of each title w ranking or credit system armor unlocks ect, but with with the 4k hdr paint job ,and a UI that acts solely as a central hub to pull it all together to track stats ect change in game settings ect

MCC is the living halo museum and this legacy should always be properly honored and respected as such.
Sometimes less is more, I worry that 343i over ambitious ideas will push and evolve the mcc away from the collection of the halo games and into another unrecognizable beast altogether
Thank you; I wholeheartedly agree!

I sympathize with players that want some unlock system, and I think there's compromise there, but this hits the nail on the head for me.
Personally, as I do a fair amount of machinima work and film planning, unlock systems bite in so many ways. Players that are willing to assist you in filming sometimes cant because they don't have the correct armor, and players that put in the time and effort to get all the armor are few and far between when you're looking for body actors.

I get why there is an unlock system in place, I just like to complain about it XD I got all the armor in Halo 5 minus Achilles within the first three months, after that, I kept up to date on new armors coming out and kept the completion at 99%. I understand that not everyone does this, I just saw it as a way to get everything fast and keep up to date on anything new coming down the line.
Can you elaborate on what mechanics were "changed?" If its things like return time/touch return or planting time, those are as simple as changing an option in the game file. You can do that in Custom Games.
iiBloxorz wrote:
Can you elaborate on what mechanics were "changed?" If its things like return time/touch return or planting time, those are as simple as changing an option in the game file. You can do that in Custom Games.
She literally explained it more than once in the comment you quoted, you can read about the changes in community updates, and that's not what this thread is about.
Season unlocks are 343 taking liberties with unlocks in Halo, just like they've taken liberties with gameplay changes, when people want classic experiences and the full suite of what was previously possible to achieve. This needs to stop on both fronts.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3