Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Why the love for Reach but not Halo 4?

OP Geth Pathfinder

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
I don’t get why so many people hate Halo 4 but believe Reach is “the last good Halo game” Halo 4 is based on Reach. Everything about Reach was expanded in 4 apart from armor customization. I know that there’s people who will claim that Reach was the start of Halo going downhill and this question isn’t for them. I’m asking the fans of Reach why they don’t like 4? Personally, I love Halo Reach and Halo 4.

Edit: I brought this topic up because of a recent meme depicting a Halo 4/5 Master Chief putting Reach in a space labeled “Please Place Trash Here”. This joke seemed to offend a lot of people yet I see people constantly saying that H4 is trash.
I don’t get why so many people hate Halo 4 but believe Reach is “the last good Halo game” Halo 4 is based on Reach. Everything about Reach was expanded in 4 apart from armor customization. I know that there’s people who will claim that Reach was the start of Halo going downhill and this question isn’t for them. I’m asking the fans of Reach why they don’t like 4? Personally, I love Halo Reach and Halo 4.
Halo 4 took it a step further and added so many things to appeal to fanbases and try and steal away there competitors playerbase.Halo 4 had a good story,but multiplayer was a cod RIP off.....perks,care packages,hit markers,customizable loadouts,prestiging
It seems any missteps in bungie games get a pass because well 'Bungie' and 343i every misstep is put under a microscope because well '343i'.
Reach and H4 are very similar games in regard to the game mechanics, AAs weapon loadouts and armor customization to a lesser degree.
The major differences are the enemy factions, art style, music and overall feel which I would expect with a new dev team.
Reach as with every bungie halo was a very solid game across the board both mp, firefight, forge and campaign modes.
H4 Campaigns and spartan ops were solid enough experiences with excellent storytelling.
The mp really missed the mark entirely and as most will agree failed to deliver a halo esk experience at all.
Im of the opinion if 343i had of taken the extra year of dev time to be a 3 year cycle instead of 2 H4 would have been a much more polished and refined experience..but even so I doubt that the anti 343i sediment that is around halo titles would be much different to how it is today.
It seems any missteps in bungie games get a pass because well 'Bungie' and 343i every misstep is put under a microscope because well '343i'.
Reach and H4 are very similar games in regard to the game mechanics, AAs weapon loadouts and armor customization to a lesser degree.
The major differences are the enemy factions, art style, music and overall feel which I would expect with a new dev team.
Reach as with every bungie halo was a very solid game across the board both mp, firefight, forge and campaign modes.
H4 Campaigns and spartan ops were solid enough experiences with excellent storytelling.
The mp really missed the mark entirely and as most will agree failed to deliver a halo esk experience at all.
Im of the opinion if 343i had of taken the extra year of dev time to be a 3 year cycle instead of 2 H4 would have been a much more polished and refined experience..but even so I doubt that the anti 343i sediment that is around halo titles would be much different to how it is today.
Why do I feel that even though you didnt quote me or directly mention me in your post that your post is directed at me.I'll list the things I think bungie did wrong in halo reach then.

Contradicts lore from fall of reach novel

Halsey meets spartan 3s in the game but apparently doesnt realize in ghosts of onyx that there was a new group of Spartans

Removal of the br, beam rifle ,and plasma rifle for the dmr,focus rifle, and plasma repeater

Adding in loadouts and armor abilities

Bad mp forge maps
Personally didn't mind H4 but hated the new aesthetic of the game. It definitely was more CoD like which is what probably turned a lot of people off, the story was good and the multiplayer was okay but it didn't capture that Reach feeling if that makes sense.
Why do I feel that even though you didnt quote me or directly mention me in your post that your post is directed at me.I'll list the things I think bungie did wrong in halo reach then.

Contradicts lore from fall of reach novel

Halsey meets spartan 3s in the game but apparently doesnt realize in ghosts of onyx that there was a new group of Spartans

Removal of the br, beam rifle ,and plasma rifle for the dmr,focus rifle, and plasma repeater

Adding in loadouts and armor abilities

Bad mp forge maps
Hahaha no my post wasn't directed at you at all, although we are running into each other a lot from opposite viewpoints atm, healthy debate is, always, a good thing though.
. in fact I totally agree with your comments on the H4 mp.
Halo 4 took it a step further and added so many things to appeal to fanbases and try and steal away there competitors playerbase.Halo 4 had a good story,but multiplayer was a cod RIP off.....perks,care packages,hit markers,customizable loadouts,prestiging
Sure, there’s some CoD like characteristics but that doesn’t automatically make it bad. I actually like the way Halo integrated loadouts(only basic weapons/no power weapons). I enjoy Halo 4 more than Reach because Armor lock was removed, Armor Abilities were rebalanced, loadouts gave more personalization, and BTB maps were great. As for power weapons, they were scattered around maps in spawning locations just like previous Halos. I get that the game didn’t launch like that but power weapons are static now. Vehicles were perfectly balanced in 4. They never felt quite right in the other Halos.

I really enjoyed the way Halo 4 integrated these CoD-like features with Halo to make it its own. I like Reach but I felt like 4 went all out. I’m one of the few people disappointed in Halo 5 for ditching the Halo Reach/4 style of play. I would love for Halo Infinite to return loadouts and AAs in BTB. I get why people want 4v4 Arena to have even starts.
Because it’s basically a downgraded halo reach and was difficult to look at. The campaign was decent, the mp was too much like cod it literally had perks and supply drops there was no real incentive to rank up or progress not to mention you get no reward for reaching max rank. It Felt bland and not to mention spartan ops. Spartan ops was soooo boring. The story had poor writing the missions were repetitive and it felt like you were doing the same objectives over and over. And also The armor customization was a huge downgrade from reach. No longer could you customize everything about your spartan you were just stuck with a torso and helmet. Oh and Sarah Palmer and the spartan 4s. Overall the game was ok I guess it’s even though population just died just weeks after release. Looking back on it now, it’s 1000x better than halo 5 which don’t even get me started on that game. But hey, if you like those games power to ya idc this is just my personal opinion that happens to be shared by a lot of fellow halo players also, reach was far from perfect.
Because it’s basically a downgraded halo reach and was difficult to look at. The campaign was decent, the mp was too much like cod it literally had perks and supply drops there was no real incentive to rank up or progress not to mention you get no reward for reaching max rank. It Felt bland and not to mention spartan ops. Spartan ops was soooo boring. The story had poor writing the missions were repetitive and it felt like you were doing the same objectives over and over. And also The armor customization was a huge downgrade from reach. No longer could you customize everything about your spartan you were just stuck with a torso and helmet. Oh and Sarah Palmer and the spartan 4s. Overall the game was ok I guess it’s even though population just died just weeks after release. Looking back on it now, it’s 1000x better than halo 5 which don’t even get me started on that game. But hey, if you like those games power to ya idc this is just my personal opinion that happens to be shared by a lot of fellow halo players also, reach was far from perfect.
360 H4 absolutely wasn't just torso and helmet it did fully customizable armor,
helmet, chest, l+r shoulder plates, legs, forearms and visor that were achieved on rank or missions plenty of mix and match variation. Plenty of stuff to pick on with 4 but customisable armor certainly isn't one of them.
I'd also argue no other halo title has had quality level of reach customisation.
The BR in Halo 4 feels stupid. Also the sound is more annying than anything else.
The reach-DMR is much better.

I dont like sprint. And in reach sprint didnt feel as annoying as in halo 4.
4 continued with the things people didn't like in reach and showed people that reach wasn't so bad but back when reach was in it's prime people didn't love reach like they do now.
The BR in Halo 4 feels stupid. Also the sound is more annying than anything else.

I find Halo 4 to play similarly to Halo 2. The BR is slightly slower in Halo 4. I also find the Halo 4 DMR to be better than Reach’s. Sprint isn’t really a deal breaker either way for me. Personally, I kinda hope that Halo Infinite ditches sprint in favor of higher BMS.

I find Halo 4 to play similarly to Halo 2. The BR is slightly slower in Halo 4. I also find the Halo 4 DMR to be better than Reach’s. Sprint isn’t really a deal breaker either way for me. Personally, I kinda hope that Halo Infinite ditches sprint in favor of higher BMS.
How does it play similar though? There were no perks,armor abilities,sprinting,care packages,hit markers,grenade Indicators,or loadouts in halo 2.You had to have a perk on in halo 4 just to pick up ammo and grenades.....
How does it play similar though? There were no perks,armor abilities,sprinting,care packages,hit markers,grenade Indicators,or loadouts in halo 2.You had to have a perk on in halo 4 just to pick up ammo and grenades.....
It doesn’t for the most part. I mean sure, both games have insane bullet magnetism which makes the games noob friendly to an extent. Halo 2s Bullet Magnetism made it so that only a 1 or 2 shots from a battle rifle burst would hit the target which meant if you had good aim on a person who was using bullet magnetism than you would win that gunfight 9/10 times. In halo 4, every gun has a high bullet magnetism. You can literally aim to the far side of an enemy and get the headshot. Every precision weapon behaves this way except the Br at long range. Though both Brs benefit from a high bullet magnetism and are essentially the same, the halo 2 one was more balanced Because of buttons combos and exploits. The halo 4 Br is slower and a Dmr player with decent aim can destroy a Br or Carbine player with easily.
I mean, they're both trash (multiplayer-wise) and were huge contributors to the unfortunate downfall of Halo.

H4 is just slightly less trash IMHO.

NBNS however beats anything either one has to offer.
Halo 2’s BR and 4’s both have high bullet magnetism. Both games are easy to jump in to. No, you did not need a perk to pick up ammo, only grenades in H4. Halo 2 Anniversary reveals how similar 2 and 4 play. It’s a modified Halo 4 engine that plays very similar to 2.
Halo 2’s BR and 4’s both have high bullet magnetism. Both games are easy to jump in to. No, you did not need a perk to pick up ammo, only grenades in H4. Halo 2 Anniversary reveals how similar 2 and 4 play. It’s a modified Halo 4 engine that plays very similar to 2.
Halo 4 is not easy to jump into,and having a perk to pick up grenades is ridiculous in any game.High bullet magnetism is the only similarity between the 2 games
Halo 4 is not easy to jump into,and having a perk to pick up grenades is ridiculous in any game.High bullet magnetism is the only similarity between the 2 games
We’ll have to agree to disagree. Halo 4 was one of the first games I played when I first connected my Xbox 360 to the internet. I jumped right in. I can play Halo 4 seriously or I can just have fun running around with different weapons. The weapons are very balanced in Halo 4. Lots of choices instead of BR beats everything. I don’t entirely agree with having Resupply required to pick up grenades but you, as the player, can put it in your loadout if it means so much. You also have to use Firepower to equip 2 Rifles instead of spawning with an AR and BR. That’s why the player has the choice of Tactical Packages and Support Upgrades.
We’ll have to agree to disagree. Halo 4 was one of the first games I played when I first connected my Xbox 360 to the internet. I jumped right in. I can play Halo 4 seriously or I can just have fun running around with different weapons. The weapons are very balanced in Halo 4. Lots of choices instead of BR beats everything. I don’t entirely agree with having Resupply required to pick up grenades but you, as the player, can put it in your loadout if it means so much. You also have to use Firepower to equip 2 Rifles instead of spawning with an AR and BR. That’s why the player has the choice of Tactical Packages and Support Upgrades.
Halo never needed perks especially one that is a carbon copy of a call of duty perk just named differently. Resupply was something every player had from halo 1 through reach and never needed to be taken out and made into a perk.The weapons are not completely balanced either,the boltshot has ridiculous range,and the dmr is superior to the br in every way in halo 4
Halo never needed perks especially one that is a carbon copy of a call of duty perk just named differently. Resupply was something every player had from halo 1 through reach and never needed to be taken out and made into a perk.The weapons are not completely balanced either,the boltshot has ridiculous range,and the dmr is superior to the br in every way in halo 4
It plays and feels like halo titles in swat , that's about the only positive thing in multi player i can think of,
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7