Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Why the love for Reach but not Halo 4?

OP Geth Pathfinder

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. ...
  8. 7
The main reason why I didn't like Halo 4 as much was because they changed the art style, and it felt like a COD game.
Campaign for Halo 4 was great but the multiplayer, which I don't mind, was a bit of a Cod rip off. 343 did say with the new seasons that they are going to add into MCC are going to be game specific or something like that so there will probably be a Halo 4 season at some point. Reach obviously is going to come first though just because its going to be a huge update for MCC and the hype is quite high for it.
Snofl wrote:
Both reach and h4 sucks. Sprint, bloom, abilities and so on just isnt halo.
Halo is a 4v4 shooter with every one starting the game with the same possibility to win, on equal terms. No micro transactions to get better ”things”, no armor abilities etc ... just weapons on the map.
thats why both games sucked and died fast.
Not Reach. Thousands are still on daily. It seems that Reach is one of the best aged Halos. Maybe it wasn’t as popular as Halo 3 but it’s population certainly has lasted longer. Compare Reach’s population now with 3’s in 2016.

As for 4v4, what about BTB? Halo 4’s BTB is what makes it my top Halo.
You're forgetting that In 2016 halo 3 would have been at least 9 years old lol
that game has probably aged the best in terms of population especially with what it was competing with
you cant talk especially if you never played xbox live till halo 4
I specifically said 2016 because Halo 3 would be 9 years old and now(2019) Reach is 9 years old. Also, I started playing online in 2016. I remember trying to find matches in Halo 3.
Well theres more factors involved too
modders and xbox j taggers were running rampant around 2015+ in Halo 3 matchmaking(having my service record messed with and being cheated out of wins is what caused me to stop playing the game)
Surprisingly this was not present in reach(unsure of the reason for this)

Id like to see the numbers for that comparison because halo 3 had a decent population for a LONG time.

2016 h3 was a much diff experience than 2007-2011 Halo 3
Despite disliking a lot about how Reach was designed, I can't deny its not a well put together game with a huge amount of content. Great art style, intact theater mode(though multiplayer theater is downgraded from 3), firefight, campaign scoring, larger suite of gametypes, playable Elites, great customization, interesting additions to the sandbox. And for my part by the end of its life cycle you could still strip away the most frustrating aspects of Reach to build a more classic Halo game, something that just isn't possible with Halo 4.

Reach had its problems but it never had quite the same glaring holes as Halo 4(or 5 for that matter)
Halo 4 was generic that’s all.
Personally I love all Halo games pretty much equally, but I can see why folks felt like with the art style, musical style and sound design changes, along with the COD like multiplayer, that 4 just went too far with changing too many things at once while Reach made fewer small, evolutionary rather than revolutionary changes.
Halo Reach didn't feel like a cod game I was a kid and I could tell between a good halo game and halo 4 blows didn't last more then 3 months never copy call of duty stick to the original
Halo 4 felt gritty in a bland, dull way and was too much like COD. Halo Reach was gritty in the right way, in Reach the color palette was dull but it wasn’t dreadful and gave that soldier on the battlefield vibe. It felt immersive like I was really in a grand battle. Reach also had bigger battlefields and a more interesting atmosphere. Honestly Halo Reach is my favorite game. I don’t hate 4, well the multiplayer i do, but the campaign was... ok. I liked the emotional take on chief and Cortana. 4 also had a weird blend of grittiness and over the top light shows, while Reach had the covenant but they didn’t put on quite the light show and their architectural design was more appealing in my opinion. Though I love futuristic art and over the top light shows, it just didn’t feel right. Reach isn’t definitively better, you like what you like. Halo 4 is a good game but Halo Reach captured a wider audience’s hearts.
I’m really getting sick of the wars within the Halo community. I was just watching The Act Man and the comments are full of Halo 3 fans accusing anyone who likes Reach as being a kid. Why can’t Halo fans accept that others have personal preference. Some like CE, some like 2, some like 3, some like Reach, some like 4(including myself), and some even might prefer 5. Liking 4 doesn’t mean I have objectively bad tastes or that I’m some 12 year old who never played the trilogy.
I don’t get why so many people hate Halo 4 but believe Reach is “the last good Halo game” Halo 4 is based on Reach. Everything about Reach was expanded in 4 apart from armor customization. I know that there’s people who will claim that Reach was the start of Halo going downhill and this question isn’t for them. I’m asking the fans of Reach why they don’t like 4? Personally, I love Halo Reach and Halo 4.

Edit: I brought this topic up because of a recent meme depicting a Halo 4/5 Master Chief putting Reach in a space labeled “Please Place Trash Here”. This joke seemed to offend a lot of people yet I see people constantly saying that H4 is trash.
I think it's ok, halo 4 isn't my favorite but that's just my opinion. I dont like how they ended it and screwed it up with halo 5. The campaign is fine, it could use some improvements. I do love reach more than halo 4.
I’m really getting sick of the wars within the Halo community. I was just watching The Act Man and the comments are full of Halo 3 fans accusing anyone who likes Reach as being a kid. Why can’t Halo fans accept that others have personal preference. Some like CE, some like 2, some like 3, some like Reach, some like 4(including myself, and some even might prefer 5. Liking 4 doesn’t mean I have objectively bad tastes or that I’m some 12 year old who never played the trilogy.
Lol, welcome to the internet, pretty much. Asking a game community to be reasonable and open-minded is like asking the sun to set in the east and rise in the west. Alot of gamers are more concerned with being right than just having a discussion or sharing ideas. They want their preferences to be more than preferences; they want them to be the definitive answer. So they put down others who don't align with their preferences and willfully ignore any info that contradicts their assessment on what is "best". These kinds of gamers won't change because they don't want to and there is no reason to. With that in mind, I find it best to just ignore such gamers instead of wasting the energy of trying to get them to see how ridiculous they are. Some areas of the internet are less regulated than others so you'll see more of that toxicity (YT comments are notorious for this). Most gamers just silently play games and don't really engage in community discussion, so it's not like these toxic people represent the majority. They just happen to be very loud and therefore very noticeable.

For me, I just keep in mind that I'm not looking for anyone's approval in my tastes. If I like H4, I don't care that it got mixed reviews or that people call it a COD clone (it's not). At most I'll correct the misinformation for the sake of other users who may get the wrong impression. But, yeah, haters gonna hate. It's still annoying to see, and unfortunate that the only solution is pretty much learning how to tolerate it in some way.
classic art style!
Chimera30 wrote:
Lol, welcome to the internet, pretty much. Asking a game community to be reasonable and open-minded is like asking the sun to set in the east and rise in the west. Alot of gamers are more concerned with being right than just having a discussion or sharing ideas. They want their preferences to be more than preferences; they want them to be the definitive answer. So they put down others who don't align with their preferences and willfully ignore any info that contradicts their assessment on what is "best". These kinds of gamers won't change because they don't want to and there is no reason to. With that in mind, I find it best to just ignore such gamers instead of wasting the energy of trying to get them to see how ridiculous they are. Some areas of the internet are less regulated than others so you'll see more of that toxicity (YT comments are notorious for this). Most gamers just silently play games and don't really engage in community discussion, so it's not like these toxic people represent the majority. They just happen to be very loud and therefore very noticeable.

For me, I just keep in mind that I'm not looking for anyone's approval in my tastes. If I like H4, I don't care that it got mixed reviews or that people call it a COD clone (it's not). At most I'll correct the misinformation for the sake of other users who may get the wrong impression. But, yeah, haters gonna hate. It's still annoying to see, and unfortunate that the only solution is pretty much learning how to tolerate it in some way.
I agree. It’s better to ignore these people but I’m getting sick of getting hate on every other page I go. I get called names on Instagram and YouTube because I don’t agree with the “majority” of Halo fans. I actually go out of my way to talk about Halo 4 because most fans of Halo 4 are causal; therefore, they don’t go on social media and talk about it. I’m basically trying to show the hardcore Halo community that some of us actually like the unpopular game and don’t love Halo 3. Honestly, Halowaypoint is the best place for avoiding toxicity.

Edit: I don’t mean to say that I don’t like Halo 3. It was an awesome game and I have good memories. I just meant that I don’t put Halo 3 on a pedestal like many die hard fans.
Chimera30 wrote:

I agree. It’s better to ignore these people but I’m getting sick of getting hate on every other page I go. I get called names on Instagram and YouTube because I don’t agree with the “majority” of Halo fans. I actually go out of my way to talk about Halo 4 because most fans of Halo 4 are causal; therefore, they don’t go on social media and talk about it. I’m basically trying to show the hardcore Halo community that some of us actually like the unpopular game and don’t love Halo 3. Honestly, Halowaypoint is the best place for avoiding toxicity.
We do run a tight ship but it’s for a good cause. The official Halo discord is another place where civility and constructive criticism are promoted.
As someone who played Halo 4 a good deal some time ago, I can see why it lacks love from most of the community. It isn't really a bad game at all, it just steered far away from what Halo was, and people really do not like change in video games. Same deal Halo 5 has going on for it.
Halo 4 overall ruined the nostalgia that long-time players expected to see in the Halo series. It felt more like a completely different game (more like COD) than it did its own franchise.

I can see why some people may like 4 and 5 in small cases, but Halo was better off being its own game rather than an inspiration from other games.
I liked Halo 4's Story and Spartan Ops since the gameplay felt smooth, the story was good and Spartan Ops was a nice extra story (even tho it got messed up by a dumb cliffhanger and then to release a 2nd season), the multiplayer while still fun was as most people here say a COD Rip-off. Even tho I liked that running was now apart Halo instead of as an ability, it didn't really feel like Halo. The worst part was the servers, even at release, end of it popularity before Halo 5 and even today it has always had Server issues, would always have to restart the game because ¨You're not connected to Xbox Live¨, ¨Your NAT is closed¨ etc. Even tho I could play Black Ops II and other games back then completely fine. Fun game, good story and a cool new mode, but the MP didn't really feel like Halo even tho I did have fun.
I don’t get why so many people hate Halo 4 but believe Reach is “the last good Halo game” Halo 4 is based on Reach. Everything about Reach was expanded in 4 apart from armor customization. I know that there’s people who will claim that Reach was the start of Halo going downhill and this question isn’t for them. I’m asking the fans of Reach why they don’t like 4? Personally, I love Halo Reach and Halo 4.

Because Halo 4 played nothing like Reach. H4's game-play felt more like CoD and that's why I hated it when it got picked while 'voting' was around in MCC and is why I tend to turn it off as an option these days and I believe H4 may have been the quickest Halo game on the 360 for me to drop from not playing. Though Reach isn't perfect....it was sort of saved by Reach's forge while I can't think of anyone that was remotely interested in playing Halo 4 or it's custom games so any maps I made were kind of wasted. Anyway I feel like Halo 4's are complaints are similar to Halo 5...since they both feel more like twitch shooters and they generally frustrate me, why is why I decided a long time ago when I reached max rank to stop playing H5 after I got the 152 rank, moved back to playing MCC. I just hope Infinite makes me want to play new Halo games instead of frustrating me since I miss enjoying Halo games.

Plus there are many things I hated in Halo 4 like the change in both the art style and the audio changes, many other things like the campaign felt too linear, restrictive and the balancing of vehicles were awful.
Halo 4 - campaign good
Halo 4 - multiplayer terrible
I’m really getting sick of the wars within the Halo community. I was just watching The Act Man and the comments are full of Halo 3 fans accusing anyone who likes Reach as being a kid. Why can’t Halo fans accept that others have personal preference. Some like CE, some like 2, some like 3, some like Reach, some like 4(including myself), and some even might prefer 5. Liking 4 doesn’t mean I have objectively bad tastes or that I’m some 12 year old who never played the trilogy.
Haters gonna hate. Let them talk and enjoy your Halo. This is why it was importent the MCC got fixed. A lot of people can now deside which Halo they want to play. And when they are feeling lucky they should try the other Halo's as well.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. ...
  8. 7