Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Why the love for Reach but not Halo 4?

OP Geth Pathfinder

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. 6
  6. ...
  7. 7
Halo 4 - Campaign = Good
Halo 4 - Multiplayer = Okay

Halo 5 - Campaign = Terrible
Halo 5 - Multiplayer = Boring
Halo 4 - Campaign = Good
Halo 4 - Multiplayer = Okay

Halo 5 - Campaign = Terrible
Halo 5 - Multiplayer = Boring
Aren't both campaigns kind of bad?, I mean the Halo 4 story was decent but the game-play itself was kind of bad. Too restrictive and wasn't much to the campaigns level's but yeh Halo 5's campaign was terrible too. I got kind of tired of being killed in Banshee by overly restrictive kill boundaries that made the games feel highly depressing to play.
I personally prefer halo 4 over reach but that may Ben because I haven’t played either game much in comparison to the others - from my point of view Reach’s multiplayer combat is a worse version of Halo 4’s - I don’t like loadouts in either game but halo 4 feels a lot better with how it handled them - I think that people prefer Reach over 4 due to nostalgia - Bungie developed reach and people love bungie so they prefer reach over 4
ronnie42 wrote:
Because Halo 4 played nothing like Reach. H4's game-play felt more like CoD and that's why I hated it when it got picked while 'voting' was around in MCC and is why I tend to turn it off as an option these days and I believe H4 may have been the quickest Halo game on the 360 for me to drop from not playing. Though Reach isn't perfect....it was sort of saved by Reach's forge while I can't think of anyone that was remotely interested in playing Halo 4 or it's custom games so any maps I made were kind of wasted. Anyway I feel like Halo 4's are complaints are similar to Halo 5...since they both feel more like twitch shooters and they generally frustrate me, why is why I decided a long time ago when I reached max rank to stop playing H5 after I got the 152 rank, moved back to playing MCC. I just hope Infinite makes me want to play new Halo games instead of frustrating me since I miss enjoying Halo games.

Plus there are many things I hated in Halo 4 like the change in both the art style and the audio changes, many other things like the campaign felt too linear, restrictive and the balancing of vehicles were awful.
I always felt like Halo 4 was Halo Reach improved. The amor abilities were redesigned to be more balanced(e.g. Hard-light Shield replaced Armor Lock). As for Halo 4 feeling like a twitch shooter, I have heard Halo 4 actually has a longer time to kill than previous games. The campaign did feel too linear, though I liked the story. Lack of ammo is one of my major complaints. For some reason since Halo CE, the games keep restricting the ammo more and more. It went from picking the two best weapons for the situation to scavenging whatever you can find.

I don’t think I’ll ever reach max rank in Halo 5. I’m at 141 and getting very tired of Halo 5. I’m ready for Reach to release on the MCC. I’ll probably exclusively play the MCC after that.
ronnie42 wrote:
Because Halo 4 played nothing like Reach. H4's game-play felt more like CoD and that's why I hated it when it got picked while 'voting' was around in MCC and is why I tend to turn it off as an option these days and I believe H4 may have been the quickest Halo game on the 360 for me to drop from not playing. Though Reach isn't perfect....it was sort of saved by Reach's forge while I can't think of anyone that was remotely interested in playing Halo 4 or it's custom games so any maps I made were kind of wasted. Anyway I feel like Halo 4's are complaints are similar to Halo 5...since they both feel more like twitch shooters and they generally frustrate me, why is why I decided a long time ago when I reached max rank to stop playing H5 after I got the 152 rank, moved back to playing MCC. I just hope Infinite makes me want to play new Halo games instead of frustrating me since I miss enjoying Halo games.

Plus there are many things I hated in Halo 4 like the change in both the art style and the audio changes, many other things like the campaign felt too linear, restrictive and the balancing of vehicles were awful.
I always felt like Halo 4 was Halo Reach improved. The amor abilities were redesigned to be more balanced(e.g. Hard-light Shield replaced Armor Lock). As for Halo 4 feeling like a twitch shooter, I have heard Halo 4 actually has a longer time to kill than previous games. The campaign did feel too linear, though I liked the story. Lack of ammo is one of my major complaints. For some reason since Halo CE, the games keep restricting the ammo more and more. It went from picking the two best weapons for the situation to scavenging whatever you can find.

I don’t think I’ll ever reach max rank in Halo 5. I’m at 141 and getting very tired of Halo 5. I’m ready for Reach to release on the MCC. I’ll probably exclusively play the MCC after that.
Not sure I'd agree about H4 improving. Hard light shield was ok but didn't like the art style or the sound changes and well the forge was somehow worse, smaller but not as bad as H5'S forge is since I actually hate using it, is the 1st where I literally lost interest in making forge maps. As for kill times...I've heard that before about the game itself but still felt like a twitch shooter, found it as just as frustrating to play as H5.
Also not sure if I ever worried about lack of ammo in H4 since usually just adapted to whatever was around me at the time, well I did all that on legendary solo. As for Halo CE I'm not sure about the ammo thing either since I generally did fine.

Yeh I know what you mean about the H5 rank system. I didn't like the game so most of the time I had to push forward while watching Netflix type shows to help pass the time. Also after the 'flight' program was mostly having fun except for some maps where people were trying to spawn trap...I'm sort of mostly exclusively playing MCC these days but not as much as I planned since felt like H5 burnt me out.
Halo Reach was the most social Halo game made in my opinion. It was just a fun multiplayer and social game to play. It was like H3 multiplayer being on steroids. Don't get me wrong I liked Halo 3 overall better though.
People just have different tastes. I too really like Halo Reach and Halo 4. There's nothing wrong with that.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

Not sure I'd agree about H4 improving. Hard light shield was ok but didn't like the art style or the sound changes and well the forge was somehow worse, smaller but not as bad as H5'S forge is since I actually hate using it, is the 1st where I literally lost interest in making forge maps. As for kill times...I've heard that before about the game itself but still felt like a twitch shooter, found it as just as frustrating to play as H5.
Also not sure if I ever worried about lack of ammo in H4 since usually just adapted to whatever was around me at the time, well I did all that on legendary solo. As for Halo CE I'm not sure about the ammo thing either since I generally did fine.

Yeh I know what you mean about the H5 rank system. I didn't like the game so most of the time I had to push forward while watching Netflix type shows to help pass the time. Also after the 'flight' program was mostly having fun except for some maps where people were trying to spawn trap...I'm sort of mostly exclusively playing MCC these days but not as much as I planned since felt like H5 burnt me out.
Halo CE definitely has more ammo. The pistol gets 120 rounds vs Halo 4’s 32 rounds. It’s something I’ve always noticed. Halo 2 really handicapped the player with lack of ammo and it’s only gone down hill. Halo CE is the only Halo where I can actually use the weapon I want. The later Halos force the player to swap out weapons out of necessity instead of preference. The Halo 5 Shotgun has an insulting 15 rounds compared to 60 in CE. Even Halo 3 and Reach had 30 which wasn’t great.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

Halo CE definitely has more ammo. The pistol gets 120 rounds vs Halo 4’s 32 rounds. It’s something I’ve always noticed. Halo 2 really handicapped the player with lack of ammo and it’s only gone down hill. Halo CE is the only Halo where I can actually use the weapon I want. The later Halos force the player to swap out for tiger weapons out of necessity.
Not sure, haven't really thought about it. Plus haven't played as much of Halo 4 compared to other Halo games since think I dropped it pretty quickly after reaching the short rank system.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

Halo CE definitely has more ammo. The pistol gets 120 rounds vs Halo 4’s 32 rounds. It’s something I’ve always noticed. Halo 2 really handicapped the player with lack of ammo and it’s only gone down hill. Halo CE is the only Halo where I can actually use the weapon I want. The later Halos force the player to swap weapons out of necessity.
Not sure, haven't really thought about it. Plus haven't played as much of Halo 4 compared to other Halo games since think I dropped it pretty quickly after reaching the short rank system.
Not just Halo 4. Compare Halo 2 or 3 to CE. The shotgun has reduced ammo compared to CE.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

Halo CE definitely has more ammo. The pistol gets 120 rounds vs Halo 4’s 32 rounds. It’s something I’ve always noticed. Halo 2 really handicapped the player with lack of ammo and it’s only gone down hill. Halo CE is the only Halo where I can actually use the weapon I want. The later Halos force the player to swap weapons out of necessity.
Not just Halo 4. Compare Halo 2 or 3 to CE. The shotgun has reduced ammo compared to CE.
Yeh I can't remember, not really sure why either.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

Yeh I can't remember, not really sure why either.
I’m pretty sure it was to get players to experiment with more weapons vs keeping the same weapons for a while(like I did in Halo CE). My problem with this decision is that it changes the game from encouraging player to switch out their weapons to forcing players to scavenge. I prefer human weapons and like to keep weapons like the shotgun, sniper, and BR for longer than a couple of waves of Covenant.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

I’m pretty sure it was to get players to experiment with more weapons vs keeping the same weapons for a while(like I did in Halo CE). My problem with this decision is that it changes the game from encouraging player to switch out their weapons to forcing players to scavenge. I prefer human weapons and like to keep weapons like the shotgun, sniper, and BR for longer a couple of waves of Covenant.
Yeh I guess that makes sense, though not sure which weapons I prefer since tend to fight with whatever I can find.
Campaign,

The Graphic change,

Elites and Grunts Design, Warthogs Design, Chief's Design, New Weapon Designs Sniper Riffles, Storm Riffle Design, Phantoms Colors,

Missing Characters,

No Brutes and a lot of the classic Convenient Specie's are non existent, No Flood, No Arbiter, No Odst's, No Classic Style Marines, No Profits.

Music

The Music wasn't Halo's it was a unnecessary change almost all the music was just horrible the only good song was the song that was playing when Chief and Cortana were putting a stop to the Didact and his Composer but even that was pushing the line for Halo. The Warthogs sound like Lawnmowers.

Multiplayer

Everything look liked Plato the Graphics just seemed garbage, Multiplayer's Graphic's are so much worse than Campaign, The Ranking System lost my interest.

Okay 343i was just to Ambitious to create there own Halo they forgot about the Fan's. This is why Halo 4 and 5 kinda sucked imo! I'm glad 343i is listening to the fans finally and making nesscessery adjustments for Halo Infinite.
Halo Reach had a few Flaws but not as much as Halo 4 and 5 had! Yes there was Armor Lock and really, really crappy bloom.
But Even though Halo Reach had different Graphics it worked because nothing was changed all weapons and pretty much everything was still the same.
WWelchIII wrote:
Campaign,

The Graphic change,

Elites and Grunts Design, Warthogs Design, Chief's Design, New Weapon Designs Sniper Riffles, Storm Riffle Design, Phantoms Colors,

Missing Characters,
No Brutes and a lot of the classic Convenient Specie's are non existent, No Flood, No Arbiter, No Odst's, No Classic Style Marines, No Profits.

Music

The Music wasn't Halo's it was a unnecessary change almost all the music was just horrible the only good song was the song that was playing when Chief and Cortana were putting a stop to the Didact and his Composer but even that was pushing the line for Halo. The Warthogs sound like Lawnmowers.

Multiplayer

Everything look liked Plato the Graphics just seemed garbage, Multiplayer's Graphic's are so much worse than Campaign, The Ranking System lost my interest.

Okay 343i was just to Ambitious to create there own Halo they forgot about the Fan's. This is why Halo 4 and 5 kinda sucked imo! I'm glad 343i is listening to the fans finally and making nesscessery adjustments for Halo Infinite.
Halo Reach had a few Flaws but not as much as Halo 4 and 5 had! Yes there was Armor Lock and really, really crappy bloom.
But Even though Halo Reach had different Graphics it worked because nothing was changed all weapons and pretty much everything was still the same.
I agree that the Covenant were ugly but the UNSC art style was good in my opinion. I never noticed the Phantom colors in Halo 4. The Covenant species actually are the classic species in Halo 4. The Brutes, Drones, and Prophets were added in Halo 2.

Music wasn’t all bad but I get your point. 343i should have had a little more classic Halo themes. Never Forget(Midnight version) was good. 117 and Arrival are good too.

I disagree with you about the Warthog and the graphics. The Warthog looked and sounded the best in the series(including Halo 5). The only complaint I have with graphics is that the Spartan IV armor looked kind of like plastic in multiplayer.
Because Reach is the perfect Halo. Halo 4 is a fantastic game but not a good halo. But Halo 4 remain the second game with the best gameplay in the saga, after Halo 5.
WWelchIII wrote:
Campaign,

The Graphic change,

Missing Characters,

Music

Multiplayer

I agree that the Covenant were ugly but the UNSC art style was good in my opinion. I never noticed the Phantom colors in Halo 4. The Covenant species actually are the classic species in Halo 4. The Brutes, Drones, and Prophets were added in Halo 2.

Music wasn’t all bad but I get your point. 343i should have had a little more classic Halo themes. Never Forget(Midnight version) was good. 117 and Arrival are good too.

I disagree with you about the Warthog and the graphics. The Warthog looked and sounded the best in the series(including Halo 5). The only complaint I have with graphics is that the Spartan IV armor looked kind of like plastic in multiplayer.
I've should of typed this a little better i loved the graphics in Halo 4! I hated all the changes they made to pretty much everything. Do Not fix what is not broken.
WWelchIII wrote:
WWelchIII wrote:
Campaign,

The Graphic change,

Missing Characters,

Music

Multiplayer

I've should of typed this a little better i loved the graphics in Halo 4! I hated all the changes they made to pretty much everything. Do Not fix what is not broken.
I like some of the changes but not all. Sound design in Halo 4 was perfect. All the guns have so much more kick to them. I like the design of the weapons and vehicles in Halo 4 except the new Sniper Rifle and the Storm Rifle. The vehicles kept the Reach look other than the Warthog. Personally, I love that new design am I’m glad 343i kept the design in Halo 2 Anniversary and Halo Wars 2. Halo 5 is where 343i really changed stuff for no reason. The Wraith looks hideous to me in Halo 5 and the Warthog actually looks like a lower graphical texture compared to 4.

My perfect Halo:
Halo Reach
-Spartan Armor and Music
Halo CE
-Massive campaign levels and competitive multiplayer(2v2 and 4v4)
Halo 2
-Story
Halo 3
-Covenant design
Halo 4
-Vehicles, weapons, graphics, and BTB.
A big word I see floating around 4 is that it was "foreign" to lot of people, both aesthetically and mechanically. The game looked 'too organic' to some, especially in the armor for multiplayer. I've heard the Spartan IVs being called plastic soldiers often. From a gameplay standpoint, it felt too similar to CoD, where again MP makes this apparent. Overall, it didn't feel like Halo to many.

Notwithstanding, I liked 4 and it had many good qualities. Sound design hit home there. God, I loved the sound of the UNSC weapons.
SkellyFun wrote:
A big word I see floating around 4 is that it was "foreign" to lot of people, both aesthetically and mechanically. The game looked 'too organic' to some, especially in the armor for multiplayer. I've heard the Spartan IVs being called plastic soldiers often. From a gameplay standpoint, it felt too similar to CoD, where again MP makes this apparent. Overall, it didn't feel like Halo to many.

Notwithstanding, I liked 4 and it had many good qualities. Sound design hit home there. God, I loved the sound of the UNSC weapons.
Yeah, the weapon sound design in Halo 4 is so good. I want Halo Infinite to have Halo Reach graphics style and Halo 4 sound effects.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. 6
  6. ...
  7. 7