Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Will console MCC add a FOV slider as well?

OP Im A Frank

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
chizaye wrote:
? yuh
Dude you are spamming please stop, it is unnecessary and on other notes this game fov slider unsure if it will come to console.
chizaye wrote:
? yuh
Dude you are spamming please stop, it is unnecessary and on other notes this game fov slider unsure if it will come to console.
Just report this kind of thing and we'll look at it. No need to comment. Please and thank you.
Uhhh if you weren't aware, an FOV slider on a console would be quite moronic. With very large limitations on hardware, both when it comes to the rendering of the games and you controller, it would complicate aiming heavily and tax the console more. Not only is the FOV slider on pc intended for increased accuracy due to sensitivity preferences of PC gamers, but it also defeats some of the aesthetic appeal. Unless you're some kind of freak and enjoy looking at a stretched out world. Console gaming doesn't have the need for professional aiming for obvious reasons and is for casual play so should look to remain aesthetically pleasing.
bro calm down. plenty of games of FOV sliders these days. how did you even get here? people on this sub are weird lol
umessudie wrote:
defymyfoes wrote:
Bro do u even realize how consoles have the cheapest hardware therefore they cant run games like a pc no console game has a fov slider
Doom and battlefield has fov sliders on console, pretty sure more games too
As does Borderlands 2 (not sure about Borderlands 3, haven't played it yet).
There are many xbox games with fov sliders (Doom, bf5, warframe, tf2 etc) and they all run smooth at about 60 fps. They arguament that consoles are just for casual play and should remain low fov for aesthetic purposes, and that pc fov is to help with aiming for players with high sensitivity is also wrong. Higher fov not only makes everything less claustrophobic, but in certain situations it can make the environment look much better.
Uhhh if you weren't aware, an FOV slider on a console would be quite moronic. With very large limitations on hardware, both when it comes to the rendering of the games and you controller, it would complicate aiming heavily and tax the console more. Not only is the FOV slider on pc intended for increased accuracy due to sensitivity preferences of PC gamers, but it also defeats some of the aesthetic appeal. Unless you're some kind of freak and enjoy looking at a stretched out world. Console gaming doesn't have the need for professional aiming for obvious reasons and is for casual play so should look to remain aesthetically pleasing.
Lol I don't know what halo leagues you have been watching.
There are many xbox games with fov sliders (Doom, bf5, warframe, tf2 etc) and they all run smooth at about 60 fps. They arguament that consoles are just for casual play and should remain low fov for aesthetic purposes, and that pc fov is to help with aiming for players with high sensitivity is also wrong. Higher fov not only makes everything less claustrophobic, but in certain situations it can make the environment look much better.
It sad that alot of game developers are stuck in the 90's with concept around console gaming (why majority of games still dont offer an PERFORMANCE Mode like Nioh or Witcher 3 ?) its kinda even sadder when Console gamers them self expect consoles to not evolve (and consoles did evolve alot over the 6.7 and 8th Gen).

Games on Xbox are not on the edge of playable, so increasing FoV wont make the game sudenly stutter :D in general i think there should be some advanced settings for people who want to change them, even if it has an small impact on performace or boost. I remember on Morrowind on Xbox you could at least disable Shadows.

Oh its impossoble was said so often... even about the first Halo and Halo Wars (altough there was this rad Lord of the Rings RTS on Xbox 360 already). Thats why i also really like the Ps1, that thing got so many weird games you usaly dont expect on Console, like a real Tank Simulation or RTS games alot of them, even RPG Maker :D also Ps1 shooters like MEdal of Honor (which only were good on ps1 imo) had modern controlls like Halo just without aim assist... Consoles can do if you make them.
defymyfoes wrote:
Bro do u even realize how consoles have the cheapest hardware therefore they cant run games like a pc no console game has a fov slider
I've played DOOM 2016 on the Xbox One, its got a FOV slider and I haven't seen any major differences in performance no matter the setting. Also played Minecraft Bedrock Edition on the Xbox One, it also has an FOV slider, also no major difference no matter what. Your argument is invalid.

Personally speaking; I don't mind the FOV sliders that much and most of the time I thought its just a silly little setting they added just for fun as a leftover, but if 343 wants to truly enforce cross-platforming with both the console and PC ports of MCC, every little detail and setting in both games must be present equally.

Theoretically I can see this added later on, but right now they got other much larger things on their plates right now with MCC, Reach's crouching problems on consoles among others.

And who knows, they might bring it to Infinite too.
I really hope this happens. A consistent FoV across all the games would do a lot for rotational playlists where you jump from game to game. Halo 3 is so low that jumping to it from another game is jarring.

Them talking about adding it in the upcoming features part of the monthly update is super promising. I don't expect it until every game on PC has it though. Only having it in some of the games would make the feature feel half baked.
defymyfoes wrote:
Bro do u even realize how consoles have the cheapest hardware therefore they cant run games like a pc no console game has a fov slider
There are alot of console games with FOV sliders....
Halo 3 would benefit from a FOV slider.
defymyfoes wrote:
Bro do u even realize how consoles have the cheapest hardware therefore they cant run games like a pc no console game has a fov slider
Dude that is completely not true I can list loads of console games with FOV sliders, Borderlands and borderlands 2, and 3. Lots of console driving soms also have an fov slider. Another thing is 343 WILL be adding an fov slider to mcc as they said it will be in an update on console but not confirmed a specific time. If you want I will list several games with it if it would make you happy. But just know I’ve already invalidated your point with the borderlands series.
defymyfoes wrote:
Bro do u even realize how consoles have the cheapest hardware therefore they cant run games like a pc no console game has a fov slider
Let me prove you wrong real quick.

Out of my game library, here are the games with fov sliders

rdr2
Battlefield V
Battlefield 1
Titanfall 2
Destiny 2
Doom Eternal
Generation Zero
Warframe
Elite Dangerous
Sea of Thieves
Mirrors Edge:Catalyst
Cod: black ops 2(changing aspect ratio changes fov for some reason)
Subnautica
Void -Yoinks!-(Literally up to 140)
Superhot, (from what i remember, but im not sure tho)
TABS
Deep Rock Galactic
Minecraft
Doom 64
Doom 2016

Thats about 70% of all fps games in my library. almost every mcc game is 10+ years old, we’ve seen all of the engines stretched to their limit via mods, so it couldnt be an engine problem, and older games run very smooth. There’s literally no reason not to add a console fov slider, and im happy to know recent news says that we’re getting one anyways.
umessudie wrote:
defymyfoes wrote:
Bro do u even realize how consoles have the cheapest hardware therefore they cant run games like a pc no console game has a fov slider
Doom and battlefield has fov sliders on console, pretty sure more games too
As does Borderlands 2 (not sure about Borderlands 3, haven't played it yet).
Borderlands 3 does have a FOV Slider, I play Borderlands as my Side Hobby
defymyfoes wrote:
Bro do u even realize how consoles have the cheapest hardware therefore they cant run games like a pc no console game has a fov slider
Comments that have aged poorly lol.
Uhhh if you weren't aware, an FOV slider on a console would be quite moronic. With very large limitations on hardware, both when it comes to the rendering of the games and you controller, it would complicate aiming heavily and tax the console more. Not only is the FOV slider on pc intended for increased accuracy due to sensitivity preferences of PC gamers, but it also defeats some of the aesthetic appeal. Unless you're some kind of freak and enjoy looking at a stretched out world. Console gaming doesn't have the need for professional aiming for obvious reasons and is for casual play so should look to remain aesthetically pleasing.
1. No limitations to hardware, these are old games, the newest being 2014.

2. An FOV slider isn't for aiming or sensitivity, it's for Field Of View... Obviously.

3. Again I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that this is for some kind of competitive performance buff. A higher FOV let's you see more, it only becomes truly distorted when you crank it way too high (which if you're doing, that's dumb and stop it). Besides, the distortion happens at the edges of the screen, your peripheral vision, so it's hardly getting in the way. Again, unless you're clueless about FOV, this isn't how one uses an FOV slider.

4. Being able to see more of the game doesn't affect the aesthetic of the game. In fact, it would just let you see more of it.

5. Take note of the discussion that's happened thus far. You're calling this idea that the majority of people are asking for (politely, might I add) moronic. Perhaps consider that you are not the lone saviour of human intelligence and that you might need to look further into the subject before talking down to others?

I think you need to reevaluate your knowledge of FOV.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2