Skip to main content

Forums / Support / Halo: The Master Chief Collection Support

Can't access Halo CE Anniversary

OP An Error4538

I would show screenshots if I could, however the forum seems to show no option for that.

I downloaded halo MCC on pc through the microsoft game store (on game pass so I'm not permitted to poke around the files) and the game is up to date and I checked several times to make sure. The installed games tab within the game show that I have the campain and multiplayer for halo CE anniversary installed. However, attempting to launch Halo 1 campaign or multiplayer gives me an error telling me that Halo 1 isn't installed and asks me if I'd like to install the game. Clicking yes does nothing. And I can't find that anyone else is having this error.

The error message reads as follows
*HALO: CE DLC Required*
Halo: CE is not installed. Would you like to install it now?

Restarting the game and my pc several times has done nothing and neither has reinstalling the collection.
I would show screenshots if I could, however the forum seems to show no option for that.

I downloaded halo MCC on pc through the microsoft game store (on game pass so I'm not permitted to poke around the files) and the game is up to date and I checked several times to make sure. The installed games tab within the game show that I have the campain and multiplayer for halo CE anniversary installed. However, attempting to launch Halo 1 campaign or multiplayer gives me an error telling me that Halo 1 isn't installed and asks me if I'd like to install the game. Clicking yes does nothing. And I can't find that anyone else is having this error.

Restarting the game and my pc several times has done nothing and neither has reinstalling the collection.
Uninstall MCC from your computer then reinstall everything that works.

Uninstall MCC from your computer then reinstall everything that works.
Already stated that I did that in the post
Encountered this issue with my MS Store build a while ago and managed to get it fixed. In my case, those are the steps I took to solve it:
  1. Reset Gaming Services. Go to Settings > Apps > Search for "Gaming Services" > Reset/Repair
  2. Try to fix Xbox Live for Windows 10. Go to Settings > Gaming > Xbox Networking. From there, check if all status is green and, if not, select "Fix it".
  3. Try to log out and back in to your Xbox/Microsoft account through the Xbox companion app.
  4. Reset/repair MCC. Launch your start menu and scroll down till your find MCC. Right-click the item to open the context menu and go to More > App settings. From there, either select repair or reset.
(on game pass so I'm not permitted to poke around the files)
Actually, you can. Just go to Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps\HaloMCC and you will access all your game files. Similar to Steam, that way, you can interact and modify files for modding for example.
Exact same situation.
Exact same situation.
Did you try all of the solutions posted above?
If anyone else is having this issue:

go to your xbox companion app, on the left panel above the list of your games, is a button. Click on it and choose the download queue option. You should see all the Halo games listed in there.

After you download Master Chief Collection, every game has to download and install separately again (just around 10 MB). Apparently, if one gets stuck or encounters an error, they will stop installing without the app telling you that they are already in your queue.

Just click on all of them and click resume installing/install.
I have tried so many so called solutions to get this game running - including reinstalling god knows how many times - and still it says DLC is not installed!!!!
I do not see individual games in my mcc list so can't install them separately.
I can confirm that SinCloneYCity's solution works. I had the same problem and now it's cleared up. Just click the "three-lines" button below the Xbox logo, click on Queue, and then click on each game and tell it to install.
Anyone find a fix for this? I tried both PhilLB1239 and SinCloneYCity's solutions and I still can't install Halo CE. I keep getting error code 0x97e00017. Googling it doesn't find anything.