Skip to main content

Forums / Support / Halo: The Master Chief Collection Support

Can't install Halo 2 content

OP VEMONED

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I spend a couple hours downloading the new halo 2 update in PC, when it finished I launched the app and tryed to play the new content, MCC told me that the game was not installed, Checked my installed games and the Halo 2 content was highlighted but the infamous blue lock was in the Halo 2 cover, I tried to uninstall halo 2 to install it again, but the damn blue lock doesn't let me select the chechboxes please help me 343i, I just want to play my favorite game of all time.
As a side note: I have the game pass ultimate subscription, restarted the application multiple times, have tryed reverting MCC to defaults, repairing the app, restarting the PC, trigger the download from the campaing menus, clicking the halo 2 campaing checkboxes, nothing works.
I have the same issue with the Steam version. When it finish to download the 20.1GB update, it restart the counter for the remaining time.
If you enter to the game, it says that the download is no finished.
I discovered that the halo2 folder inside the MCC folder in steamapps only has 10.3GB of data. When the Steam client says that the 20.1GB of update has been downloaded.
I tried to force Steam to be aware that the update is no there by removing that halo2 folder. I shutdown my PC and went to sleep. Now the Steam client says the 20.1GB of update has been downloaded, but the time counter is still restarting. And the game does not say anything about it anymore.

What I mean is that if I try to start the Halo 2 Anniversary campaign, it says that the content is not in the system. So, I select the campaign and multiplayer to be install, and now nothing happens.

I just wanna play my favorite Halo.
I had a similar issue this morning. I own Halo: The Master Chief Collection from the Windows Store. The Microsoft Store App automatically downloaded the update for the game this morning and no other updates were showing.

When I launched the game via the Xbox App, and went to play the Halo 2: Anniversary Campaign, it would tell me the content was not installed and asked me if I wanted to install it (I declined), yet when I went and checked via "Options and Career," the Halo 2 content was installed but had the same blue lock you did. This also occurred to me when Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary launched.

I restarted the game, with no luck. Restarted my PC with no luck. Checked the Windows Store App for updates again, and nothing. I was able to uncheck the Halo 2 content (though I did not confirm and uninstall it), and I finally went back to the Campaign menu and accepted the prompt to Install, and it did nothing.

After dropping back to desktop for a while, I got a Windows Notification that "Halo 2: Anniversary has finished installing. Check it out!"

I went back in to the game and everything is now working fine. When I check for updates in Windows Store App, there's now specifically one for Halo 2: Anniversary with it's own graphic. The only oddity is my overall install size for Halo: The Master Chief Collection is 10 GB smaller than it should be according to yesterday's patch log, and I don't know why. It's 64.7 GB for me when it should be 75 GB.

Having said that, perhaps accepting the prompt from the Campaign menu to install the content got it going. If not, then I can only conclude it actually wasn't done downloading even though no download was shown at all. Perhaps it'll be the same for you.
What seems to be happening, for me at least, is that AFTER installing the update, the Microsoft Store app needs to download a 10mbish file to finish the installation.

You probably have the same issue I did where I already had an item queued for download and the "Halo 2: Anniversary " file is last in the queue.

Check the Microsoft store app and go to the 3 dots at the top right, then downloads and updates.
Same here. Game not recognizing the dlc has been downloaded. Even in the custom installation menu it shows i have it installed. Even in the File explorer it shows HaloMCC Folder > Halo 2 folder. As soon as I go to multiplayer search it shows download symbol over halo 2 and anniv. Yes even the campaign, Every option beyond the option for halo 2 campaign it gives me the message of not being installed.
I can even customize my halo 2 spartan.
I think this is Microsoft Windows 10 store problem but i could be wrong.This has happened to me with Halo Anniv as well.
NRico7 wrote:
Same here. Game not recognizing the dlc has been downloaded. Even in the custom installation menu it shows i have it installed. Even in the File explorer it shows HaloMCC Folder > Halo 2 folder. As soon as I go to multiplayer search it shows download symbol over halo 2 and anniv. Yes even the campaign, Every option beyond the option for halo 2 campaign it gives me the message of not being installed.
I think this is Microsoft Windows 10 store problem but i could be wrong.This has happened to me with Halo Anniv as well.
In-game, when it asks you if you want to download the content, have you accepted or declined?
NRico7 wrote:
In-game, when it asks you if you want to download the content, have you accepted or declined?
If I accept the message it then brings me to custom installment menu. All games have checkmark for campaign and multiplayer. I unchecked the halo 2 options and reinstalled it. Still nothing. So I had to submit a support ticket
NRico7 wrote:
NRico7 wrote:
If I accept the message it then brings me to custom installment menu. All games have checkmark for campaign and multiplayer. I unchecked the halo 2 options and reinstalled it. Still nothing. So I had to submit a support ticket
Okay. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!
Check your MS store. Mine had an error that occurred when I shut down the Delivery Optimization service in Windows 10 due to it stealing all my bandwidth, thus disallowing me to play online with low ping. I went in, and pressed retry on everything, and initiated the download for halo 2, and it downloaded my license data, allowing me to play.

Here is a screenshot of how my store looks after I have resolved it:
https://prnt.sc/sgmrur
Well i just reinstalled the entire game and that seems to work. There is something still wrong with this game because i had to do the same exact thing with Halo CE.
How did you reinstall the game? I can’t find the app folder in windows apps.
No help from support

UNSCOPSAgent10
(Halo Support)
May 14, 2020, 10:57:46 AM PDT
Hello Oddmanout4679​,
Halo Support is unable to assist with issues related to the Microsoft Store app. Support and troubleshooting guides for the Microsoft Store app can be found here. Please reach out to us if you encounter any issues that may occur when launching or playing the game.
Thank you,
UNSCOPSAgent10
How did you reinstall the game? I can’t find the app folder in windows apps.
Did you try searching through the Microsoft Store App?

It should be under "See More>My Library>All Owned." If not, you should simply be able to search for the game in the Store and install via there.
I updated my pc mcc through the game pass app. it wouldnt launch through game pass, nothing happens when i click play.
I try launch through desktop and it says windows store cannot open this, see in store for details. click that and it is saying an error on install and to try reinstall.
have tried that a few times and does the same thing every time, "something unexpected happened" Code: 0x80070780
i have updated the microsoft store, xbox app, restarted pc, nothing changes anything.
please help
What seems to be happening, for me at least, is that AFTER installing the update, the Microsoft Store app needs to download a 10mbish file to finish the installation.

You probably have the same issue I did where I already had an item queued for download and the "Halo 2: Anniversary " file is last in the queue.

Check the Microsoft store app and go to the 3 dots at the top right, then downloads and updates.
That was my issue, thanks!
somehow i can download it after i restarted the game, it should say if it was at 100% 85 or something, when it goes back to 100 it should be downloaded.
having similar issues, waiting for fixes..
Jup, I have the same problem. Microsoft store is showing my that I downloaded halo 2, the costum installation menu in the master chief collection shows my too that I have halo 2 installed. However, when I try to play the campaign or multiplayer it is always telling me for whatever the reason that it isnt donwloaded.
I have the same issue. I can't even play any of the other Halo games like Halo Reach. It keeps saying that Halo " DLC required. Would you like to install now? I click on yes and nothing. I have the MCC with the Xbox Ultimate Pass.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2