Skip to main content

Forums / Support / Halo: The Master Chief Collection Support

Halo CE/2/3 Anniversary FPS abysmal on Xbox One X!

OP Fingergun112

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Right now I was doing the cross-game playlists that are only available on the Xbox One version ATM and after going from Reach in Halo 2 in the playlist, the Frame Rate on Uprising level in the Anniversary Graphics were so abysmal in the outdoor sections that it hitched and stuttered really badly. Also the checkpoints freeze for a second every time I get one, which is very annoying. Before Reach was added months ago when I was working on the Halo 2 achievements earlier this year, I don't remember the performance being less than smooth FPS at 60, its definitely going below this now on the Xbox One X. However when I go into the classic graphics, the performance is perfectly fine as it always has been. Hope this gets addressed when 343 works on Halo 2 Anniversary for PC in 2020.
Want to update this. I have tried playing the new Cross-Play playlists that were added with Reach and CE Anniversary, 2 Anniversary and 3 right now I have noticed were suffering from severe FPS issues not playing at 60 fps at all only in the wide open area sections of the campaign! However on CE and 2 Classic, the FPS is totally fine. 343 needs to get this fixed on Xbox One X when each game comes out because right now, you don't have a fluid experience playing through these campaigns right now!
Same here. Due to the fact that the Halo Reach came out in 4K, I found that I play all Halos in MCC. Reach looks beautiful and works in stable 60 FPS most of the time, while Halo 1 does not. I'll see how the rest works.
Halo 2 run like -Yoink-. Looks like it works worse than Halo CE.
Yeah before Reach was added, I remember all games ran pretty smooth, unfortunately even months ago this year around the April-May update, I started seeing issues with the getting checkpoints in every game except for Halo 4. Even now currently, in Halo CE and 2, the game would freeze for a split second to give you a checkpoint. And Halo 3 and ODST, the framerate stutters every time I get a checkpoint. Oddly Halo 4 I did not see any checkpoint FPS issues.

Now with Reach added, the FPS in general in the open areas of levels in the Anniversary Graphics in CE and 2 is running below 60 fps on the Xbox One X (did not have this issue before Reach was added). However when I am facing a wall or in an enclosed area, the FPS seems to be fine. Halo 3 (not sure on ODST) and 4 seem to be OK.

Also on Reach, there is some sections i am noticing FPS stuttering on the campaign levels, especially the firefight section on the Package. I have a feeling because 343 said that putting in Reach on the consoles, was starting to have Memory issues on the collection as a whole. So hopefully going through every game, they can lower the demand of each game's memory so it won't bottleneck the console's FPS in each title.
Please spread the word on this best we can I also created a post on halo mcc campaign support so I think you should to op so that we can really bring attention to this
Hello all,

We have the same issue on Halo: CE, on One X the fps drops significantly, please raise awareness to this.
Same here. Abysmal FPS drops in Halo CE. Haven't checked the other games except Reach which seems to be fine. Please address this! Thanks. :)
Has there been any update on this issue? Has 343 even acknowledged it?
No updates after recent patch. CE and 2A are unplayable. 343 just don't care
I have the same issue. I thought it was a problem with either my external hard drive or my Xbox One X, but hard resets and transferring the game to internal storage have done nothing for me.
Same here. Submitted a support ticket and let them know on Twitter.

Glad to know I'm not alone. My xbox one x is less than 4 months old. Every other game is fine.
Just did a test with the latest update for CE/2/3, still no fix. In particular with 3, it has some slight FPS issues at times in the campaign, especially on Tsavo Highway, but not as bad as CEA and 2 was.
I've reported it several times through the forums using the ticket system and via the Xbox storefront. It really is unplayable! It easily drops in half and more in Halo 2A all the time and that's with screen tearing so it can't be vsync just being extremely restrictive if it drops below 60.
I did some more testing this evening and I think I figured out the problem of the lower FPS issues in certain sections of levels (the corridor levels seem totally fine on the Anniversary Graphics). It seems like the levels it starts acting up on are levels with alot of flora, grass or nature areas like on the Halo Rings tend to be more demanding on the system this time since Reach was added (even on the snowy areas of Control Room levels on CEA is demanding a bit) but it mostly has to do with the camera angle how your looking at the areas with the grass or flora. Something with Reach caused indirectly the FPS demands on Halo CEA and H2A to increase on graphically more demanding area. Any areas like the Forerunner sections or Spaceship levels seem to be totally fine because of no grass or flora in these sections. They may have to for us Xbox One X folks playing at 4k settings to lower the settings down to Performance setting like on PC to fix this for now. But that may not be the issue totally, it could be something else.

Another issue I can think of is that maybe the reason ODST and Reach might not be affected on Xbox by this but CEA/2A/3 and 4 are potentially have FPS issues now is because on Xbox those are part of the main original package but adding Reach as a second DLC caused the original package to have issues maybe. I don't know just thinking of ideas here.
I did some more testing this evening and I think I figured out the problem of the lower FPS issues in certain sections of levels (the corridor levels seem totally fine on the Anniversary Graphics). It seems like the levels it starts acting up on are levels with alot of flora, grass or nature areas like on the Halo Rings tend to be more demanding on the system this time since Reach was added (even on the snowy areas of Control Room levels on CEA is demanding a bit) but it mostly has to do with the camera angle how your looking at the areas with the grass or flora. Something with Reach caused indirectly the FPS demands on Halo CEA and H2A to increase on graphically more demanding area. Any areas like the Forerunner sections or Spaceship levels seem to be totally fine because of no grass or flora in these sections. They may have to for us Xbox One X folks playing at 4k settings to lower the settings down to Performance setting like on PC to fix this for now. But that may not be the issue totally, it could be something else.

Another issue I can think of is that maybe the reason ODST and Reach might not be affected on Xbox by this but CEA/2A/3 and 4 are potentially have FPS issues now is because on Xbox those are part of the main original package but adding Reach as a second DLC caused the original package to have issues maybe. I don't know just thinking of ideas here.
Nah it happens even in small areas without any flora whatsoever. In very undemanding areas that is. Seem to be more about active and visible AI to me. I bet it's the new menu system utilizing UE4 eating up memory. Either way it's total -Yoink- it's in this state at all since 4K without graphical sacrifices seen in the performance mode of the recent PC ports worked great on X before. Demanding areas before was a breeze at at least about 50 fps.
Podrian solucionar esto ya!! Queria jugar halo 2A pero es horrible tiene fps muy bajos. Esto no estaba asi y no se desde que atualizacion esto se puso asi de horrible, pero enserio no muevan lo que ya esta bien. Estoy molesto por no.poder jugar bien estas campañas en una xbox one x solo empeoran las cosas!!
Digital Foundry has made a video that touches on this issue. They don't dive in, but it's a way to see how big these dips actually are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryr8DIIHGik
I'm having the same problem. Still no fix after more than 6 months. :(
Same here. Halo CE in modern graphics suffers from screen tearing for me. Pretty pathetic.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3