[Locked] Halo MCC - Server Investigation

OP Postums

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
APRIL 4 UPDATE - 4:25PM PT
We've got even more good news today as well. After bringing the West US datacenter back online and monitoring it closely, we can confirm it is no longer seeing the issue. This means that our NorthCentral US, SouthCentral US, and West US databases are back online and functioning as expected.

While we're considering this issue resolved, we will continue to monitor our all of our datacenters to ensure this does not impact any other locations or players. If you see any remaining cases of warping or hitching, please share a video of it happening and a include a link to the match here on Waypoint.

Thank you again for your patience as we worked through this over the past two weeks. It was a tough one to track down, solve, and apply in the live environment, so we truly appreciate you hanging in there with us.

APRIL 3 UPDATE - 7PM PT
Today comes with good news! Let's jump straight into it by location so you can see how things have progressed.

• NorthCentral US: Rollback completed yesterday. We're seeing servers continue to perform exceptionally at this location.
  • SouthCentral US: Rollback completed today. While we anticipated this to take until Saturday, our partners found and expedited an alternative solution which has resolved the issue at this datacenter.
  • West US: Rollback completed today. This finished as planned today, but because it completed right before peak hours we opted to bring this location online tomorrow morning. In doing so, we ensure West US players can jump in without any issues tonight and allow the datacenter time for a more smooth return (and scaling) tomorrow.
We'll follow up with another update once West US datacenter comes back online and we can look into its status.

APRIL 2 UPDATE - 8PM PT
The rollback continued today and progressed enough for us to turn our NorthCentral US datacenter back on. Unfortunately, it has not completed in our other datacenters. Here's a status of each of our impacted locations:

• NorthCentral US: Rollback completed. The location has been brought back online and we're already seeing servers perform well.
  • SouthCentral US: Rollback in progress. Our partners anticipate that this datacenter will finish rolling back on Saturday. While only a fraction of the matches hosted in this location were encountering the issue, you may still experience lingering funkiness until everything is complete.
  • West US: Rollback in progress. Our partners anticipate that this datacenter will finish rolling back tomorrow. Once it is completed, we'll bring it back online and monitor the performance of its matches.
We realize that the timing has shifted back since our initial estimates, so we wanted to provide increased visibility on today's findings. As a heads up, tomorrow our team will be focused on the following for each location:

• NorthCentral US: Actively monitor the matches hosted here and ensure it continues to perform well.
  • SouthCentral US: Our focus will be to monitor the rollback with partner teams and ensure we're both prepared for it to complete by Saturday.
  • West US: Validate that the rollback completes on the West US datacenter, bring it back online, and monitor it closely (as mentioned above)
Hopefully breaking things down in this manner helps shed more light on the issue and answers some of the questions you may have.
Please know that we're working hard to bring everything back to normal and will provide daily updates until we're able to do so.
We can't thank you enough for your patience and understanding as we work though this with multiple external teams.

APRIL 1 UPDATE - 5:30PM PT
We worked with partner teams today to ensure the rollback continued throughout the day. Our new estimate is that it will be completed within the next 24 hours. While this has taken much longer than we initially anticipated on Friday, we're hoping that it will bring a resolution to these issues.We'll continue to monitor the impacted datacenters and provide another update tomorrow on how the rollback has progressed.

APRIL 1 UPDATE - 12PM PT
Thanks for the continued reports over the weekend everyone. We noticed that our rollback has taken longer than anticipated and has not reached all of the impacted datacenters.We plan on updating this thread again before the end of the day with our progress. Please stay tuned for more information.

MARCH29UPDATE- 5:30PM PT
After jumping on the investigation again today with our partners, we believe we were able to identify the root cause. As a result of these findings, we are going to begin rolling back a change that was made at the impacted datacenters. To help set expectations, we anticipate this rollback may take approximately 24 hours to complete and may mean you'll still see some lingering issues as the transition occurs. That said, please feel free to jump on this weekend and let us know if you're experience has improved – your feedback will be extremely valuable as we keep an eye on the situation. Thank you for your patience and understanding throughout this process. We'll follow up with another update on Monday that will speak to whether or not this change has resolved the issue. MCC will continue to have P2P fallback turned on over the weekend until we are confident it is no longer needed for matchmaking when we are able to reassess Monday morning.

Again, thank you for your continued patience while we sort out this issue.

MARCH 28 UPDATE - 6:00PM PT
Hey everyone,
We've been keeping a close eye on increasing player reports of server issues in Halo: The Master Chief Collection. We have originally identified an issue last week which we have helped alleviate by turning Peer to Peer fallback on, but Latency issues across titles is persisting. The Pub team is engaging with other teams in the studio who have already been investigating this and we are also working with our partners to alleviate this issue. We will continue to investigate and provide updates as soon as they are available.

Thank you for your patience.
Hi Lately I've been being disconnected from Halo 2 game in MCC message state "your connection to the game has been interrupted". I tested my internet connection and all seems fine, and Halo 3 and 4 work fine. Is this a problem with your servers? Thanks!
Played both saturday and sunday and the lagging is still severe.
Me and my pal are playing from Europe and theres always a delay of some sort, so for example we can never do a "trade" i cqc och even 4 shot someone in a BR duel (more like 7-9 shot).
But since this "issue" with the servers the delay have been horrible, and still are (this past weekend).
As of Saturday night (3/30/19) Co-OP on Halo 2 Anniversary has not been usable for me, with the connection between me and my partner being separated around 10m in, deleting our progress in the level. The error is "Connection interrupted". This issue arose once we reached the level "Oracle" on Saturday, not sure if it's the level specifically that is the problem or more likely the server issues started late Saturday/early Sunday. On Friday we had no issues whatsoever, and until late Saturday night there were no issues either. It is not a problem with our connection, our internet, or our machines, we have troubleshooter accordingly
Y'all must still be having issues, multiple drops through out the day. Ive checked on my end, no packet loss, nos ping problems [49ms unloaded, 75ms under load] no nat issues [open] rebooted all equipment, no issues with any other service. Now im banned. Can you at least lift the ban? I havent had any issues all weekend until the last 12-24ish hours. I miss read the ban, thought it was a 24 hr ban.

Well after two more drops I received a 12+ hr ban.
What about the EU servers as I and many others are also facing network issues?
Yep, what about the eu servers? And at least some (good) news about east US servers? Cant barely play on east, but if connected to west Us...
Currently only getting put on East US servers for the past 30 games when im West coast is the west server up and yall hate me or is it still down or can yall finally let us opt into what servers we want to connect to nah?
Recently i have not been able to join any games on the MCC, every time i find a lobby the server fails to load sending me a message saying "Connection Interrupted: your connection to the game was interrupted " and then kicks me out to the playlist selection again. I have an open NAT status and never have any problems with other games including halo 5. This has been going on for months now and its extremely frustrating. I haven't been able to play an online MCC game since september because it literally never connects.
I keep getting kicked out of the match made game when loading the match. Says connection was interrupted. I have open NAT and have no other issues with other titles (on Xbox One X btw). This issue is not resolved. Please let us know what's going on if you can.

Thank you
Recently i have not been able to join any games on the MCC, every time i find a lobby the server fails to load sending me a message saying "Connection Interrupted: your connection to the game was interrupted " and then kicks me out to the playlist selection again. I have an open NAT status and never have any problems with other games including halo 5. This has been going on for months now and its extremely frustrating. I haven't been able to play an online MCC game since september because it literally never connects.
This happened to me the other day. I believe it'll get fixed soon.
Ever since the rollback occurred there has been lots of packet loss and spiking when connecting to West US from ANZ which was not present before April 3rd. Done multiple trace routes to check if it was domestic or international related and it seems to all be on the San Jose end as I don't see any drops or timeouts on the Sydney end. But not been able have full vision of the routing into the US the only issue I found was the traffic initially hits West US but re-routes to a Kanas data-center?

The packet loss itself can last anywhere from 5 seconds up to the length of an entire game which is frustrating considering us players in ANZ never get low ping games so going from a semi stable 170ms ping to something that feels like it's a 300ms UK server is not fun to say the least. Whatever during the rollback has caused this needs to be resolved or at least give ANZ players a good connection search option cause this is frankly making the experience limited from a play-ability standpoint.

Side note: I am not the only one with this problem which has been verified by multiple players I know with various ISP's and all have the same packet loss at the same time regardless if it's ranked or social.

EDIT: So as of today April 11th, West US apparently doesn't exist and North Central US (225ms btw) is just horrendous to play on with the packet loss that is also present in this region. I've also noticed that even on Southeast Asia there is a tiny amount of packet loss but it's almost indiscernible compared to US servers. I'm starting to question the decision making internally now since the August update has done nothing but harm the ANZ region and this sudden packet loss drama is making for a case to just either remove the ping ceiling or allow us to choose our region.

I for one preferred the old MCC where the server was split in roughly a 50/50 fashion compared to just been based a population region. And this is also ridiculous since there could be 7 of us and one American and the algorithm will always give the server to that one player which in mine, and many others eyes, to be unfair and completely blatant favoritism If this is the direction that 343 and Halo will be taking forward into the foreseeable future. It will just never work since most of us grew up playing p2p style halo and put up with it. But this past several months have been frankly the worst in my 19 years of playing Halo, not only does it show no respect for smaller regions but fails to act on issues that have been proven to have only started since the ping ceiling was introduced.

Please stop with the idea that lag doesn't exist cause the August update has done nothing but make everything worse. The servers were never this bad, not to mention the countless ping glitches that have come to light because of the changes that were made to obviously cater to NA players whom I can only guess raise their voices over minor things in comparison to what someone like me goes through. Excuse me for the rant but I'm at the end of my rope and keeping quiet while trying to have my concerns addressed in the background seems to be getting me nowhere.
Trxnsition wrote:
Ever since the rollback occurred there has been lots of packet loss and spiking when connecting to West US from ANZ which was not present before April 3rd. Done multiple trace routes to check if it was domestic or international related and it seems to all be on the San Jose end as I don't see any drops or timeouts on the Sydney end. But not been able have full vision of the routing into the US the only issue I found was the traffic initially hits West US but re-routes to a Kanas data-center?

The packet loss itself can last anywhere from 5 seconds up to the length of an entire game which is frustrating considering us players in ANZ never get low ping games so going from a semi stable 170ms ping to something that feels like it's a 300ms UK server is not fun to say the least. Whatever during the rollback has caused this needs to be resolved or at least give ANZ players a good connection search option cause this is frankly making the experience limited from a play-ability standpoint.

Side note: I am not the only one with this problem which has been verified by multiple players I know with various ISP's and all have the same packet loss at the same time regardless if it's ranked or social.
Oh no it's not just you. This game has horrible hit registration, even within my own region. I know how to lead my shots in H3 and know when someone should die. This game is nothing but an exercise in frustration.
Fahzzy wrote:
Trxnsition wrote:

Oh no it's not just you. This game has horrible hit registration, even within my own region. I know how to lead my shots in H3 and know when someone should die. This game is nothing but an exercise in frustration.
The hit reg is not my concern, the sudden packet loss is. Unless you live in ANZ you can't fathom the terrible experience we're forced into. I used to get a pretty amazing connection to West US but nowadays it's like been on a 200+ ping with people skipping around all game, double nades and lots of bullet refund. It's just disappointing that I can't enjoy Halo for more than an hour most days since all this crap came to light.
Ever since i reinstalled halo mcc over 3 months ago ive never been able to connect to a server it always just tells me "network connection failed try again later" i have no idea why this is happening my xbox can play every other game online no problems. i tried using my phone as a hotspot to see if it was something in my internet blocking me but nope still didnt work. havent seen anyone else have this problem so i have no idea what to do as there is basically no options in the settings. any ideas would be very much appreciated
Halo 343 industries my name is Sheldon. I have to tell you I'm a bit upset because me and my son's recently downloaded the free Chief collection from the Microsoft store. I've recently discovered that we keep getting banned for absolutely no apparent reason. I'm 29 years old and my sons are ages 6 and 4. We are not modders and we are not hackers. I do not understand why we keep playing Halo and every so often we're being banned for nothing. The first band I ignored it and was like what the heck. The second band I started to question the integrity of other players and making false reports. I was cleaning the house today and my sons are playing online multiplayer together. One of my sons wanted me to sign out his brother so he can play by himself. We never quit any match I've already read that you can be banned for quitting. We're simply playing each round and every so often we're being banned. As I'm helping my sun sign in Solo online multiplayer as I enter the lobby it says we're band for a hour. This is absolutely ridiculous.I've heard of Halo when I was a teenager growing up never really played it when I was a kid. I'm just now discovering the Halo gameplay with my sons and we are being banned every so often for just playing the game. I've read the reasons why you can be banned and we have not done any thing to violate the guidelines. My guess is there are other players who are so competitive that if you are not scoring for the team they are literally reporting you so you are banned and cannot play on their team anymore. I would like you guys to investigate this matter because I am a true gamer of 29 years. And this is an absolute discrepancy that needs to be investigated immediately. My son is asking me why he can't play for 1 hour and I'm explaining to him that we've been banned and we're both looking at each other wondering for what????? Thank you please help
Halo 343 industries my name is Sheldon. I have to tell you I'm a bit upset because me and my son's recently downloaded the free Chief collection from the Microsoft store. I've recently discovered that we keep getting banned for absolutely no apparent reason. I'm 29 years old and my sons are ages 6 and 4. We are not modders and we are not hackers. I do not understand why we keep playing Halo and every so often we're being banned for nothing. The first band I ignored it and was like what the heck. The second band I started to question the integrity of other players and making false reports. I was cleaning the house today and my sons are playing online multiplayer together. One of my sons wanted me to sign out his brother so he can play by himself. We never quit any match I've already read that you can be banned for quitting. We're simply playing each round and every so often we're being banned. As I'm helping my sun sign in Solo online multiplayer as I enter the lobby it says we're band for a hour. This is absolutely ridiculous.I've heard of Halo when I was a teenager growing up never really played it when I was a kid. I'm just now discovering the Halo gameplay with my sons and we are being banned every so often for just playing the game. I've read the reasons why you can be banned and we have not done any thing to violate the guidelines. My guess is there are other players who are so competitive that if you are not scoring for the team they are literally reporting you so you are banned and cannot play on their team anymore. I would like you guys to investigate this matter because I am a true gamer of 29 years. And this is an absolute discrepancy that needs to be investigated immediately. My son is asking me why he can't play for 1 hour and I'm explaining to him that we've been banned and we're both looking at each other wondering for what????? Thank you please help
You want this thread: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/84ad72a8b51847978545f685f651fc15/topics/the-official-halo-mcc-why-was-i-banned-thread/95de2d50-5e10-42db-9490-c24efbd2dc74/posts
Ever since i reinstalled halo mcc over 3 months ago ive never been able to connect to a server it always just tells me "network connection failed try again later" i have no idea why this is happening my xbox can play every other game online no problems. i tried using my phone as a hotspot to see if it was something in my internet blocking me but nope still didnt work. havent seen anyone else have this problem so i have no idea what to do as there is basically no options in the settings. any ideas would be very much appreciated
I’ve been having the same issue to! Literally have tried everything but nothing seems to work except the campaigns. If anybody else is having the same issue please comment to make the issue more well known!
Has anyone els been being banned for exiting out of a game an coming back later? I exited out of big team battle bc I had to do something and I come back and it says I’ve been banned for 30 min. I’m new to halo MCC so is that a coming thing or is it just me
My MCC and H5 are not working at all. Load the game, get a black screen or get into a MCC game, has no sound from game, but can hear other players and then it lags out 2/3 way through every game and I get booted and banned for 5 min, Reach is working just fine and so are my non 343 games. What is the deal 343????
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3