Skip to main content

Forums / Support / Halo: The Master Chief Collection Support

MCC Won't install from Microsoft Store (PC)

OP Stig Assassin

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Are all of you using Game Pass?

Regardless, at this point, I'd suggest opening tickets with Halo Support describing in as much detail as possible what's going on. If they redirect you to another Support department, refile the exact same ticket with them, mentioning that Halo Support directed you to them.
Mine is through Game Pass.

I'd definitely agree with everyone else opening a support ticket. I've had no communication with them in days, but something seems to be happening.
Mine did the same thing and now it won't let me reinstall because it says I'm missing content.
Now I can at least play Halo CE, but Reach and Halo 2 are stuck / not downloading. MCC in MS store says update, if you click on it and it fails immediately.
Trying to d/l content from within the game just spins and spins, campaign or multiplayer.
Same thing has happened to me. It was installed on my computer (pre H2A release), and when I went to play and update, it said there was an error. Deleted the game, tried reinstalling, and its not even letting me install the game. I'll submit a ticket also.
If you're all on GamePass, this might be an issue related to it. A while back Killer Instinct had a GamePass issue where it would let subscribers download the game (it is a free-to-play game), but only the rotating free content would be unlocked.

This only got fixed after the developers were notified, as they got in touch with the GamePass team and there were still delays for the fix to happen.

I recommend you all open tickets so 343 Industries is at least made aware that this is a widespread issue. Again, if they refer you to another Support contact (i.e. Microsoft Store), simply repeat the ticketing opening process but with them.
Xbox Game Pass here. Mine did the same thing. Went to download and it wasn't working, restarted the computer and the game and all the previous expansions were deleted. Would go to download thru microsoft store and they'd all error out. 6 hours later it finally went through. The game opens with an obvious update to the ui but the in game downloads now state I don't have reach installed but ce is. Halo 2 is at 90% downloaded despite me never downloading it for some reason, single player works but multiplayer didn't download. The in game download screen just shows rotating icons showing the game is downloading despite it staying at 67% for hours. The microsoft store shows a mcc update but it cancels itself every time I click it.
Okay, here's my final update for the support ticket.

Quote:
Hello Stig Assassin​,

Halo Support is unable to assist in the Game Pass installation process. Please use the Xbox (beta) app's Feedback option. The Feedback option can be accessed via the dropdown Profile menu in the top right corner of the app's window.

Thank you,
UNSCOPSAgent10
So no help from them directly. However, My game has fully installed along with the Reach, CE and Halo 2 packs. I've done nothing to fix the problem since putting in that support ticket. Maybe it fixed itself, but I would assume this problem is getting worked on behind the scenes. If you still have the problem keep going through the support options of Game Pass, Microsoft Store and Halo Support. Maybe one of them will actually be able to help.
I'm having the exact same issue myself. I own the game, Windows 10...used to work fine. Games disappeared, cannot even make it install onto another drive.
Had the same issue since Halo 2 AE dropped on PC. Hadn't played in some time so I think that may have something to do with it, was probably behind on updates, last update I downloaded was in march.

Anyways I tried a lot of fixes for the windows store via solutions I found on google and youtube. Not sure if any played a role in fixing the problem, but none of them had an apparent effect.

Game was completely uninstalled at this point - couldn't find it via apps and programs. Using a program called Revo Uninstaller I was able to see that there were still some trace files left behind in the registry. Completely deleted everything related to Halo. Still didn't work.

Noticed in my WindowsApps folder that even though I had deleted Halo there was a folder titled Microsoft.Chelan in there. (Halo installation). Was able to delete it via safe mode with admin command prompt. Still didn't work.

Lastly there was a folder in WindowsApps called MSIVXC. Supposedly this is a cache for installations / downloads for all windows store apps. All the files are named some kind of hash / serial so its hard to tell which one is halo, but all the other files had older dates than the halo installations I had been trying that day. Deleted all files in the folder with that hash or that were modified today (as I hadn't done any other updates today besides trying to download halo). Installation worked after that point.

Just a word of caution here: deleting things from your registry or changing the permissions on your WindowsApps folder can cause major problems. Only try these things if you know what you're doing. I may have screwed some things up too so don't fully take my word for it. It however did work after all this.
After trying much of what's already been said (deleting, updating, uninstalling, reinstalling, MSstore, XBBetaApp …) today I uninstalled everything (again, this time with ccleaner uninstaller), Cleared the store cache (“wsreset” admin but not even in safe mode), cleaned the registry (CCleaner again), made sure all the associated files were gone from AppData and WindowsApps folders, rebooted. Straight to the XBox Beta app, chose install, it started! I let it finish fearing any interaction or disturbance would curse me again… Praise the halo gods, I have everything expected intact now….

It was a little wonky when I opened MCC and checked under settings content, Reach, CE, and 2 had lock icons on them but as soon as I started or resumed a campaign in each they appeared proper and installed (campaign and multiplayer). Everything appears to be in working order for me.
Good luck to those still struggling.
Same issue...
I also have the same issue.

Have tried everything suggested in this thread and still no luck. I submitted a detailed support ticket with Windows Feedback Hub a week ago and haven't heard back.

I don't understand how downloading/verifying apps has been done by so many other online-stores reliably and yet Microsoft can't get this right :/
Hello everybody. Just signed in here to say how I fixed this.
I was struggling with the same problem. Let's go by parts:

I downloaded Halo MCC from MS Store last month, when Halo 2 Anniversary launched on PC. I had to travel to my parents town. New Halo MCC update was launched with fixes for Halo 2. I couldn't download that update, because the internet speed here is so slow. The Store tried to dowload it everytime with no success. One day to another, Halo MCC disappeared from my start menu and the Store thought it was not installed. Indeed it was.

I found this forum. Deleted the MSIXVC-something folder. Fatal error. I ended up messing permissions with the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps special folder. So, none of the "Universal" apps were working, just the win32 programs worked fine. Everytime I tried to open an UWP app it closed itself immediately. How to fix this? Fix your WindowsApps\ permissions. TrustedInstaller is the real owner of that folder, don't touch it. It happens that I also deleted the "Microsoft.Chelan-something" folder from the WindowsApps\ special folder AND the Halo MCC folder from ModifiableWindowsApps\ folder. But still, the Store thought I had the game installed and not installed at the same time.

When I tried to download the game from the Store, after I pressed the Install button, I got the "Something happened on our end. Try again later".
When I tried to download the game from the Xbox beta app, I got "Error 0x000000001"-something.

Every other app and every other game I tried to install from the Store was working fine. Halo MCC refused to install. Today, after two days and after tried wverything, from deleting cache folders to wsreset.exe, I found the solution: reinstall Game Services.
-Run PowerShell as admin, write: get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage –allusers
-Then, enter this: start ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MWPM2CQNLHN (this will open the Game Services page in MS Store)
-Install Game Servies again. Restart your PC.
-Try to install Halo MCC again. It worked for me, but I have to wait to get a better internet.

Stay safe everybody
anyone get a fix? i can't install the game at all, error code 0x80073D12
this worked for me, go to searchbar on desktop. type wsreset.exe, right click and run that as admin, then reset computer. I was able to finally install after this
Hello everyone,
I had the same issue in May, and now (since 3 days), coming out again.
I also try everything what you write. Nothing working.
In May I resolved by reset windows. I was not very happy to do this, but it works.
This week appears the same situation again. App icons are away, the app seems not to be installed but, if I try to install it, it simply doesn't work. In the Microsoft Store download area, show me that I've got to download the new version, but it doesn't work too.
It seems to me a issue that appears every time 343 send a new update / patch over the Microsoft Store.
24/6/2020 was one.
I resolved now in this way (not fine, but it works)..
  1. Login a second user in Windows, give him Administrator policy.
  2. With this user I delete my main Windows user. In this way I'm 100% sure that all the %appdata% are away.
  3. Create the main Windows user account as new, give him administrator policy.
  4. Login in windows my "new" Main user, login in Microsoft Store.
  5. Now I can reinstall MCC..
It seems to me, that by update of MCC, the Store set the app as "uninstalled" even if is not uninstalled, that's why the Store self try to install MCC again, but cannot do this.

By the way, I think the solution "reinstall gaming services" https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/85d779d52cfd46918b4f8b638f2e3c7b/topics/mcc-won-t-install-from-microsoft-store-pc/40366514-67a6-4b5d-b5fe-65580c3029b8/posts?page=2#post34 could be also good, because the gaming services are used also to check if you can use the game or not.
Next time, that the issue come out again, I will try it at first.
Thank you all.
Hello everyone,
I had the same issue in May, and now (since 3 days), coming out again.
I also try everything what you write. Nothing working.
In May I resolved by reset windows. I was not very happy to do this, but it works.
This week appears the same situation again. App icons are away, the app seems not to be installed but, if I try to install it, it simply doesn't work. In the Microsoft Store download area, show me that I've got to download the new version, but it doesn't work too.
It seems to me a issue that appears every time 343 send a new update / patch over the Microsoft Store.
24/6/2020 was one.
I resolved now in this way (not fine, but it works)..
  1. Login a second user in Windows, give him Administrator policy.
  2. With this user I delete my main Windows user. In this way I'm 100% sure that all the %appdata% are away.
  3. Create the main Windows user account as new, give him administrator policy.
  4. Login in windows my "new" Main user, login in Microsoft Store.
  5. Now I can reinstall MCC..
It seems to me, that by update of MCC, the Store set the app as "uninstalled" even if is not uninstalled, that's why the Store self try to install MCC again, but cannot do this.

By the way, I think the solution "reinstall gaming services" https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/85d779d52cfd46918b4f8b638f2e3c7b/topics/mcc-won-t-install-from-microsoft-store-pc/40366514-67a6-4b5d-b5fe-65580c3029b8/posts?page=2#post34 could be also good, because the gaming services are used also to check if you can use the game or not.
Next time, that the issue come out again, I will try it at first.
Thank you all.
Same issue here!!! Cannot even start the game!!! I am sure it is a temporary problem!!! Let's wait a day to see if it will be fixed!!!
This is a different but similar problem I'm having. Halo 2 on MCC worked perfectly fine on my old laptop, but then when I got a new laptop, it didn't work. I downloaded it, Microsoft store says it's downloaded, I open the MCC, and it says 20% downloaded, and it's just stuck there. I get a new laptop because I want to have MCC working, I do the same thing again, but it says 18% downloaded now, and it's stuck. I click Halo 2, but it says it's not downloaded. Help.
I am having the same issue, this must be affecting a ton of people. Why does the Microsoft store do this?
Besides the typical stuff where you commonly get the advice to reset the Store (wsreset.exe) or clear cache and stuff, one of the biggest issue which i experienced first hand for myself, but also for my friends was for not having the most recent windows updates installed. But yeah it's sadly sometimes kinda meh.

Don't get me wrong, in generall i really appreciate MS Store in certain situations, especially thanks to Play Anyhwere which is for me one of the best Features, but i find it pretty wonky that one of the biggest companys, with the most populate OS and stuff, y'know "experts" which also have alot of ressources, still have issues to deliever a smooth Store / Experience.

Than again i've also to say that except some store related issues, my overall experience with Win10 Videogame-related was a absolute blast and the Windows / XBox Overlay (Gamehub is called?) with Win+G or the Xbox App works absolutely fine. And it's far away from this abomination called "Games for Windows Live"
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3