Forums / Community / Poll Discussions

Chief's Halo 4/5 armor: Like or dislike?

OP Kirsty4Blood

How do you feel about Chief's armour in Halo 4/5?

Make Your Selection:

I actually liked his armor in 4 and 5 , and I've read other people who thought it worked too. I know there are those who didn't really like it, though. How do you feel about it?
Going with Indifferent. Felt the explanation of changes to H4 was unnecessary - they could have just had him get a new set on Infinity.
Didn't he get a new set between 4&5? I liked his 5 armor for sure.
I think the new armor set in Halo 4 and 5 is pretty nice and for it makes sense since Halo 4 started a new chapter of the Halo series with new looks and everything and it's nothing new since the armor changed in every game from Halo 1 to 3 as well.
KRSTice23 wrote:
Didn't he get a new set between 4&5? I liked his 5 armor for sure.
Yeah he went from Gen 1 Mark VI to Gen 2. But I think OP is lumping them together since the art style, ergo the suits, is so similar.

For me, I didn't like it. But to be fair, I really don't like the whole art style change between the OG trilogy and H4/H5. The armor makes the chief look like a giant brick compared to his more sleek appearance from before. I know that the Chief is a giant brick of a human being to begin with, but going from a smaller suit of armor to a bigger one feels like a step backwards in technology. Kinda like going from an iPhone to a Nokia brick phone. As a general rule (not necessarily true across the board), better technology means smaller. This can be seen in Moore's Law. But beyond the size, the armor went from a focus on the green harness and plating to the undersuit, which made it feel like the new armor was mostly made up of an undersuit with the armor pieces just sewn on.
The green on the Halo 5 armor made it look so weird.
The armor change was pretty confusing. How would he change his armor when he was in the pods for almost 4 years?
Overall, I dislike it. Not going to go through detailed explanation on this post but roughly described, the armor looks like a skintight suit that has heavy pieces of metal just stapled on top of it.

One thing that also made it worse was the way that it got it's beginning, pretty much no change of armor but apparently some nanomachines during cryosleep made the armor look like the new ones developed back in human worlds without connection while also, for some reason, changing the appearance of a backend of a ship cut in half.

Overall, I think 343i makes great graphical looks but the artstyles (so far) have been overall/mostly inferior to those of bungie era, or ensemble studios.
And mostly, not everything.
I choose indifferent because I don't think it looks bad I just like his H2/3 versions better. Infinite looks the best.
His armour in H4 is my favorite out of any game. It looked like a natural evolution of the original chief, but more imposing and realistic. It was also the only armor in H4 that looked battleworn and had a black undersuit (which H5 removed, and I don't count the cracked visor due to how it was done). I was dissappointed when I went into multiplayer and instead of those new badass spartans from the prologue, there were just power ranger armors. A lot of people dislike this new armor because it makes no sense that chief has it when awakening.
I like but I would like to know how Cortana could change his armor while he was in Cyro sleep
I like but I would like to know how Cortana could change his armor while he was in Cyro sleep
Lore-wise it's stated that she used nanomachines to upgrade and redesign it.
To me it seems a bit forced and simply chalking it up to artstyle changes would have worked better, but hey-ho.
I'm not a big fan, the Spartans now have this overdesigned look to them that makes them less memorable.
To me it seems a bit forced and simply chalking it up to artstyle changes would have worked better, but hey-ho.
thank you I just think it would have made more sense if the changed armor types life say when he met up with Captain Lasky
When compared to Halo 1-3 and Halo Infinite, I don't like it at all.
thank you I just think it would have made more sense if the changed armor types life say when he met up with Captain Lasky
I think this could have been a great way to mesh the two art styles. Start off the first part of the game with the H3 armor, weapons, etc. Then when the Infinity comes into play, you start seeing new weapons and armor. Then once aboard the Infinity, the Chief swaps out his old, damaged armor for the Gen 2 platform. I still don't like the new art style as a whole, but this would have served to ease old fans into the new art style.
I liked the idea behind Chief's armor redesign, I always felt like the original classic armors were too thin and looked more like Power Ranger armor than actual Power Armor. But the way it was executed feels poor to me, the specific design just looks too grungy to me, it isn't very clean, has some general design flaws and it still personally bugs me that it doesn't even have a yoinkin' codpiece anymore. Like how is that an upgrade? XD That being said, Infinite's armor design is my favorite yet because it takes the classic aesthetic and adds in that level of bulkiness and just more Power Armor feel that I think it needed. It took all the positives from the 4/5 armor and applied them to the positives of the Infinite armor.
Its ok. I guess
I Think is pretty good, is an "Edgier Look" maybe, but it is good and can be recognizable
I like it, Master chief looks buff, but the new style of halo infinte combine the nostalgic armour and the buff of h4/h5