Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Poll Discussions

Choose one Spartan Ability NOT to Return

OP MinusSquire2145

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Which Spartan Ability, more than any other, do you most want to never return in Halo, and why?

Smart-Scope
Smart-Scope is the ability to zoom in using any weapon in the game. It slows down movement but increases accuracy. Unlike Smart-Link (traditional zoom), Smart-Scope includes an animation similar to that of ADS in other shooters every time this function is utilised instead of instantly zooming. Additionally, Smart-Scope causes the player to hover if in mid-air.

Sprint
The inclusion of Sprint means that the player now has two movement speeds. The standard movement speed is severely decreased (which has been the case in Halo: Reach, Halo 4 and Halo 5) while a second faster speed exists in which the player can no longer shoot.

Ground Pound
Ground Pound requires the use of another button on the controller which varies ergonomically depending on the chosen controller scheme. It allows the player to lock into an animation while in the air, headed towards the ground until a small shockwave effect is released upon making contact with the floor. With the existence of standard beat downs, animated Assassinations and Spartan Slam; Ground Pound is one of four ways that Halo’s melee system has been split.

Thruster Pack
Thruster Pack, like most Spartan Abilities, is both a movement and gameplay mechanic. It’s an additional method of dodging enemy fire and traversing across level spaces. The Thruster Pack propels the player in any direction very quickly across a short distance.

Clamber
Ever since Halo: Reach, player jump height has been decreased. To counter this, Clamber allows players to climb over ledges onto platforms they could not otherwise reach. It locks players into a temporary animation in which they can no longer shoot.

Slide
Slide is an animation that occurs if a player crouches immediately after engaging in Sprint. It causes the player to continue the momentum of the sprint while in a low position.

Artemis Tracking
This is a Campaign feature used mainly for story purposes. It affects gameplay by allowing the player to have the constant ability to reveal their intended destination. In previous Halo campaigns, waypoints were used only during specific circumstances and locations leaving the player to navigate solely using the level design for the rest of the game. In Halo 5, the player is able to reveal their destination point at any given moment, narrowing the path and limiting encounters.

Essentially, which of these is the worst in your opinion? Which most negatively affects the game?
Smart scope... I really would prefer that all enhanced mobility make its way to the circular file. But if I have to pick one of these, getting rid of ADS would be a fantastic start. Literally every FPS Halo game besides H5 got along just fine without it. Even those that had equipment or abilities. The shoot-from-the-hip mechanic was a staple of Halo, and it needs to return imo.
If I can only choose one I'm gonna go with sprint and I'm not even gonna say why because the topic has been beaten to death for years now lol
Smart scope... I really would prefer that all enhanced mobility make its way to the circular file. But if I have to pick one of these, getting rid of ADS would be a fantastic start. Literally every FPS Halo game besides H5 got along just fine without it. Even those that had equipment or abilities. The shoot-from-the-hip mechanic was a staple of Halo, and it needs to return imo.
Uh, you realize every halo game technically had smart scope right? This has been a lore thing since the fall of reach. You still have a major advantage when firing from the hip in H5. If you got rid of Smart-Scope then that means you don’t get to aim down the sights on a BR or sniper. Same term, different meaning. Also the stabilization thing can be turned off and it’s technically a different ability.
For me it’s ground pound. It’s literally useless in multiplayer because unless the player is braindead he’s going to be moving nonstop to the point where you can’t hit him. Honestly I’d prefer everything to go in the next halo game but I can still appreciate it for what it is in halo 5, I just choose not to use most of them besides thrusters and I actually usually come out on top.
Uh, you realize every halo game technically had smart scope right? This has been a lore thing since the fall of reach. You still have a major advantage when firing from the hip in H5. If you got rid of Smart-Scope then that means you don’t get to aim down the sights on a BR or sniper. Same term, different meaning. Also the stabilization thing can be turned off and it’s technically a different ability.
For me it’s ground pound. It’s literally useless in multiplayer because unless the player is braindead he’s going to be moving nonstop to the point where you can’t hit him. Honestly I’d prefer everything to go in the next halo game but I can still appreciate it for what it is in halo 5, I just choose not to use most of them besides thrusters and I actually usually come out on top.
I may be wrong, but I think you are confusing zoom with smart scope. Smart scope means you can aim down the sights with any weapon, thereby increasing the range of every weapon. Even the AR can be used as a semi-precision weapon with ADS. Zoom on BRs and snipers is just fine with me. That makes sense since they are scoped weapons.
Smart Scope and Zoom are the same thing with a different label. Keep in mind that you can zoom with the magnum in every non-dual wield game and it lacks a scope. Carbine? There's no scope on that either, what about the needle rifle? No scope. How you zoom with these? Lore (not new lore either, we're talking about The Fall of Reach) states that you (a spartan) zoom in with these weapons with the use of Smart Link(Smart Scope is the same thing), which is why it's in Halo 5. Halo 5 just happens to have it that every gun gets the ability to zoom in, think about it, how would infantry even aim with the assault rifle without the help of smart link/scope? I mean, the SRS-99 has a digital display on it, if that doesn't spell smart link/scope I don't know what does.
Smart Scope and Zoom are the same thing with a different label. Keep in mind that you can zoom with the magnum in every non-dual wield game and it lacks a scope. Carbine? There's no scope on that either, what about the needle rifle? No scope. How you zoom with these? Lore (not new lore either, we're talking about The Fall of Reach) states that you (a spartan) zoom in with these weapons with the use of Smart Link(Smart Scope is the same thing), which is why it's in Halo 5. Halo 5 just happens to have it that every gun gets the ability to zoom in, think about it, how would infantry even aim with the assault rifle without the help of smart link/scope? I mean, the SRS-99 has a digital display on it, if that doesn't spell smart link/scope I don't know what does.
Okay we need to separate lore from game play in this discussion. From a lore perspective, smart scope makes perfect sense. A super advanced human society would definitely have that for every weapon, which makes every soldier better at shooting. But from a game play perspective, having every weapon with ADS muddies the sandbox. ARs shouldn't be precision weapons in the game. They have a pretty large effective range in the Halo universe, but in the games, they need to remain within their specific role. Otherwise their value as an individual weapon decreases.
This is completely, one-hundred percent incorrect. You're referring to Smart-Link, which (as I mentioned in the original post) is the traditional zoom function. 343i believed themselves to be upgrading Smart-Link to Smart-Scope in Halo 5; thus the new name. Unfortunately, many of us (if not most) were not fans of this supposed upgrade.
This is completely, one-hundred percent incorrect. You're referring to Smart-Link, which (as I mentioned in the original post) is the traditional zoom function. 343i believed themselves to be upgrading Smart-Link to Smart-Scope in Halo 5; thus the new name. Unfortunately, many of us (if not most) were not fans of this supposed upgrade.
Congratulations, you completely ignored my follow up post that explains literally everything I’m about to tell you again. Smart scope is still smart link, the full HUD has been canon since the fall of reach, including but not limited to the crosshair (marines have this too). It just adds another mechanic to guns that give them a SLIGHT increase in maximum range for a vast decrease in ability to turn, hence the fact you still have a major advantage when firing from the hip. Stabilization is a different ability that can be turned off, wanna hear how I know? Because I’ve played with it off since day one because I hate stabilization.
So tell me again about how my post is 100% incorrect?
Keep in mind that traditional smart link is STILL in the game with scoped guns. The lore is that GEN2 MJOLNIR has compatibility with known firearms that allow them to use holographic sights that are visible with a heads up display, I.E. VISR. This is nothing new, it is literally just expanded smart link.
EDIT:Keep in mind for the other poster that smart scope is here to stay, 343 decided that multiplayer is canon which means the abilities of weapons will be equivalent to their canon counterparts. I wouldn’t be surprised if plasma weapons in halo infinite will be capable of 3 tapping like they can in the books.
Imagine a world in which every Sniper wielding player must no scope...lol
For the fact that Spartan Slam was left unexplained I blindly choose it to not return.
I hate the Spartan slam. It’s a cheap tactic.
I want both ground pound and charge gone, equally.
By spartan slam I think you meant spartan charge. Ground Pound was easy to avoid whether you knew the opponent was charging it up or not. Spartan Charge on the other hand is a cheap way to get an easy kill and hard to avoid. There are very few counters to it. You either have to have a power weapon, have seen the player sprinting from a distance, melee at a specific time, or jump over them (which doesn't work as often as it should).
Why is Armor Lock not on the list when pretty much eveeybody hated that ability? I certainly don’t want to ever see that in a Halo game ever again.
Sadly I could only choose one, and between smart scope, and Artemis I chose Artemis....I HATE having to do that crap in the campaign....its like an easter hunt that tells you EXACTLY where the eggs are. It takes away the challenge of the search. I used to spend countless night searching for skulls and secrets in the halo games, then 5 came out and it was like most of that disappeared, yea the skulls are there still hidden but its less fun for the lore if your just following a map. Take this out of infinite logically, and ill be a happy spartan.
Ground Pound is so bad.

More than the 80% times I used it someone kill me before touching the Ground.
I guess Ground Pound, since all of the above isn't a choice 😣
Preferred it when only some guns had scopes. It made things a lot harder but also fun. I mean, does it make any sense being able to get sniped by an AR halfway across the map?
Never used thruster.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2