Forums / Community / Poll Discussions

Cortana's Possible Redemption in Halo 6

OP masterKC111

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
now I'm not sure if this is even possible, I've only read a few of the books so lore wise I'm not up to par but is it possible that when the librarian took Cortana in halo 4 that she made a copy of her? Then the Cortana we see in halo 5 is a rampant piece that was split from the copy that the librarian made.
Given we see the Librarian again in Halo: Escalation at the Absolute Record and she makes no mention of a Cortana copy, I don't think it is very likely. That's kinda the thing, Cortana coming back just comes out of nowhere with no build-up.
ok that makes sense, I figured it was something in escalation that I missed since nobody has mentioned it before bit seeing u post in here I figured id ask, seeing as I read the forums alot just don't post often and you seem to know the lore quite well
Sure, no problem. I mean, it could be a long-running potential plot point that the Librarian has the "real" Cortana or a "good" Cortana hidden away for some reason, but if that is the case I think doing something to stop the "evil" Cortana has kinda passed since she now has giant--Yoink- Forerunner death machines.
yea thats definitely true, I'm just really curious where they're gonna go with all this, it realm seems like frank has a definitive idea of what's going on so hopefully it will live up to the expectationsi
Eh, I'm not sure Frankie does. He and Brian Reed both said Cortana was dead, though Frankie implied it by saying her fate was obvious at the end of Halo 4 and Halo 4 and later released material said she was killed, dead, you get the picture. Then we find out that isn't the case and when people wondered why Cortana was evil now he said obviously the "young fans" don't get subtlety and nuance. If it really isn't Cortana and just some evil fragment, I can't see why he'd get so defensive over it.
They probably were forced to bring her back by MS because they were franchising Cortana or since MS was franchising Cortana, they, 343, stupidly decided to try to sell more games by bringing her back. Either way it was dumb.
now I'm not sure if this is even possible, I've only read a few of the books so lore wise I'm not up to par but is it possible that when the librarian took Cortana in halo 4 that she made a copy of her? Then the Cortana we see in halo 5 is a rampant piece that was split from the copy that the librarian made.
Given we see the Librarian again in Halo: Escalation at the Absolute Record and she makes no mention of a Cortana copy, I don't think it is very likely. That's kinda the thing, Cortana coming back just comes out of nowhere with no build-up.
ok that makes sense, I figured it was something in escalation that I missed since nobody has mentioned it before bit seeing u post in here I figured id ask, seeing as I read the forums alot just don't post often and you seem to know the lore quite well
Sure, no problem. I mean, it could be a long-running potential plot point that the Librarian has the "real" Cortana or a "good" Cortana hidden away for some reason, but if that is the case I think doing something to stop the "evil" Cortana has kinda passed since she now has giant--Yoink- Forerunner death machines.
yea thats definitely true, I'm just really curious where they're gonna go with all this, it realm seems like frank has a definitive idea of what's going on so hopefully it will live up to the expectationsi
Eh, I'm not sure Frankie does. He and Brian Reed both said Cortana was dead, though Frankie implied it by saying her fate was obvious at the end of Halo 4 and Halo 4 and later released material said she was killed, dead, you get the picture. Then we find out that isn't the case and when people wondered why Cortana was evil now he said obviously the "young fans" don't get subtlety and nuance. If it really isn't Cortana and just some evil fragment, I can't see why he'd get so defensive over it.
They probably were forced to bring her back by MS because they were franchising Cortana or since MS was franchising Cortana, they, 343, stupidly decided to try to sell more games by bringing her back. Either way it was dumb.
Maybe. All I know is that I'm skeptical that Cortana coming back as explained by Frankie and Reed in one of The Sprint episodes was planned all along.
I'm not going to lie, I feel DISGUSTED with Halo5's poop campaign, like seriously the script was go awful and because they gave Locke basically almost every mission in the game, chief had little to no character development besides by the end where the scene actually showed emotion between chief and cortana.
Honestly, I think the Cortana we see in Halo 5 is some rampant fragment. Maybe Warden Eternal found a fragment of her and tried to recreate her? So he could use her to help the created claim the mantle? Warden Eternal obviously believes that the created are the rightful inheritors. Or maybe he's just using them to gain the mantle himself? Only time will tell.
Do you want to see Cortana who has seemingly turned against the human race get redeemed in Halo 6?
Lol. "Seemingly"? I don't think after killing millions of innocent people and proclaiming herself dictator over all life in the galaxy that there is even a question that Cortana has not only turned against the human race - but literally every living thing in that galaxy, including those of her own kind that do not want to join her.

...So no. I don't want any redemption for this shell of what was formerly a positive character in the fiction. I want to see this psychopathic, murdering, abusive thing pay for what it's done and be destroyed once and for all.
Quote:
If so tell me how you think she came to turn against the human race and what Master Chief can and will do to save her.
Also I would like to point out that the Chief already put himself and his only true friends in grave danger in an attempt to reach out to her and offer her a chance to turn back from what she's doing - she refused, and betrayed him the most horrible way possible. He owes her nothing, has no responsibility to do anything to "save" her, and it would be absolutely sick for him to continue to attempt to placate his abuser any longer.
Quote:
I think she will be redeemed because simply when Master Chief makes a promise to Cortana He ALWAYS keeps it.
What the heck are you even talking about? The Chief didn't promise her jack squat - and everything that has happened thus far is because of Cortana's own choices. And the consequences of those choices are what she now has to pay for. I will repeat: the Chief has no responsibility to something that has lied to, manipulated, and abused him, as well as outright threatened and attempted to murder his only friends and family, while also stripping him of his free will and attempting to keep him prisoner for a millennia.

The Chief should never have to be around Cortana ever again. And if 343i has any sense left whatsoever, they won't stoop to glorifying obsessive and abusive relationships simply because Cortana is "popular".
I really dont know how to feel about it because they made her "death" in 4 to be really sad and they should of left it there and contenuid with masterchief destroying the covenant
Not redeeming Cortana in H6 will be the biggest and best thing in gaming history. all in all redeening Cortana is a good thing but doing it so soon after H5 I think would be way way to soon.
No idea where they will take the story but I have a feeling that it will have to do with that Halo ring we saw at the end of the game on legendary.
i already got some good thoughts on halo 6's possible campaign but i haven't posted yet. it's still WIP sorry.
Just put her out of her misery already....
She can be redeemed, but the only way to do it satisfactorily and non-cliched would be redemption through self-sacrifice/martyrdom. She still needs to be punished for previous actions.
She'll be redeemed at the very end, scarifying herself - not to save humanity - but to save John.
When the moment comes when the Chief has to die for her to complete her plan, she'll cave and won't be able to go through with it.
Do you want to see Cortana who has seemingly turned against the human race get redeemed in Halo 6?
If so tell me how you think she came to turn against the human race and what Master Chief can and will do to save her.

I think she will be redeemed because simply when Master Chief makes a promise to Cortana He ALWAYS keeps it.
Yeah that's true but there have been times where things like that don't happen.
BL0ODY JAW wrote:
She'll be redeemed at the very end, scarifying herself - not to save humanity - but to save John.
When the moment comes when the Chief has to die for her to complete her plan, she'll cave and won't be able to go through with it.
But she is Rampant like Mendicant Bias so that may not be true.
Blame it on the Logic Plague! whatever ! If Cortana is not redeemed, then Halo 1-4 loses its charm for me. The best part about Halo was Master Chief and Cortana fighting together and their chemistry. I was praying after halo 4 that they would bring her back somehow but certainly didn't expect her to be evil. HE MADE A GIRL A PROMISE AND HE HAS TO GET THE CHANCE TO FIX HER !!! The only way I can see it happening is that the Cortana of Halo 5 is not the actual Cortana but a trap of the Gravemind/Didact to use her image to persuade Chief because she is his only weakness and to have all Created help with their masterplan of making the Flood return. Maybe all the Created who will enter this so-called "Domain" will get corrupted by the Logic Plague. Certainly the Created or Master Chief wouldn't join forces against humanity if the Gravemind itself came and said please!

I think Halsey will help somehow to find the real Cortana, if she's alive somehow and together with Master Chief they will help stop the main threat which has returned: THE FLOOD!

Cortana: Chief, how did you crack your visor?
Chief: Don't worry, I'll try to be more careful since THERE'S TWO OF US IN HERE NOW! (followed by the TA DA DA music from Halo 3)

HERE'S TO HOPING ..............
i wouldn't mind if she just goes away. Halo should all be about MC
They may incorporate the flood into it like HiddenXperia and LTN have said. There's no way 343 won't redeem her. They've disappointed the fans with her death, and when they brought her back to life the fans didn't like it either because she's evil. The next thing is bringing back the fan favorite character the right way.
I think redemption (and a final, "deader-than-dead", "really dead this time" death) could have been possible had they handled the Halo 5 story differently. I don't think her going insane with power is all that weird, and it is in line with plans Bungie themselves had throughout the series. But they way they handled it in Halo 5 was not natural, believable, or emotional. They went so far off the rails of the crazy train that I have no idea what they're planning with the story. But I desperately hope it can be cleaned up. Anyway the way they presented her in Halo 5 is so different from Cortana that I'm not sure this actually is Bungie's and Halo 4's rampant Cortana. She hums like Guilty Spark at the end of Halo 5, and directly quotes the Didact during the campaign. She sounds like a melodramatic cliche villain like the Didact. There's plenty of room for theories out there, but nothing makes this seem like the Cortana we know, even a corrupted version of her. So whatever this is, redemption doesn't seem possible at this point, and wouldn't feel natural or dramatic now. I think maybe they should clean up by saying it was a different villain's ruse, was never really Cortana in H5 and she's dead, kill off this villain posing as Cortana quickly, and move on to a story more focused on something interesting like the Banished and the return of the Flood. But I don't know how they will do it at this point or what they could do. I just wanted the story of H5's marketing campaign, and the continuation of story threads we got in Spartan Ops. We got neither. So Idk. Nothing makes sense in this universe anymore.
Cortana's reveal as a villain in Halo 5's campaign was a hge kick in the gut ( an interesting move from 343, that is true, but it still hurts)
So I'd love to see her going through redemption on Halo 6, not only becausd she has been one of the main protagonists of the franchise, but also I believe she would never hurt the Chief.
And if the many theories about Halo 5's Cortana being a copy of her many Rampancy states and the real Cortana having been hidden by the Librarian or she is still out there somewhere are true...then I hope we get to see the real Cortana back
there are 2 ways I'd be fine with this going. one being that she is just a rampant copy in which case she isn't redeemed and master chief has to cope with the fact that this isn't cortana and bring him self to kill her, or two she is infected by the logic plague and eventually she realizes what's happening and sacrifices her self to stop something. again.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3