Forums / Community / Poll Discussions

DLC alternative to REQ Packs?

OP Dropkick Pherby

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
What post H6 launch alternatives would you spartans feel comfortable with 343i incorporating into their next i.p. if it was with the intent to be Less Invasive to the player so that we could Earn armors, visors and the like again rather than be stuck with the slot machine system we have now in H5?
This one is tough for me. Personally I don't mind the REQ system and I have put some money into it. But I feel like Halo 6 obviously should have more, not less. As for this thread I would love quality old fashioned paid DLC to return with Halo. But more importantly challenge and the element of limitation should return, like Halo 3 and Reach. Bottom line 343 just needs to continue using their brains and to focus on making Halo 6 as good as it should be.
Happy with Req's, Some one else paying for my DLC.
Weapon skins, armor skins, armor effects and player stances.
Plenty of room for creativity without affecting gameplay or base customisation.
I would rather go back to map packs and halo before never had you pay for armor but was a reward for working for it if it’s like fortnite it’s not as bad but I don’t want to pay just to get the helljumper helmet
HYv47 wrote:
As for this thread I would love quality old fashioned paid DLC to return with Halo.
I would rather go back to map packs
How would you address the issue of paid map packs splitting the population into players who have it and players who don't, which sometimes even causes the people who have it to not even get to play on the maps they bought?
jimmy f13 wrote:
The problem with reqs is that they give 343 a very strong incentive to design the whole game around making players want to buy reqs. This means doing things like prioritizing Warzone during development to the point that BTB wasn't even included at launch and is still an afterthought over two years later, and getting extremely sloppy with the design of armor because they want quantity over quality, and so forth. That's why I think the req system is a bad idea.
and halo before never had you pay for armor but was a reward for working for it if it’s like fortnite it’s not as bad but I don’t want to pay just to get the helljumper helmet
Couldn't they have a set of cosmetics (and by cosmetics I mean things like armors, weapon skins, etc.) that are exclusively unlocked as rewards for accomplishments, and another set that is either obtainable with in-game points or real money, and maybe another set that is only obtainable by purchasing with money? Because honestly I can't think of a better way to set up microtransactions in a Halo game than that.
I would like free map packs.
I would too specifically so the community isn't divided, but also feel REQ packs are a bit invasive and promote profit focused design rather than fun/competitive design that is good enough to generate profit. Personally voted for the Themes, Avatar items.
The game would have to sell well and we there would be some sort of micro transactions basically because of the req system we got free dlc I guess if we could earn some of the classic and fan favorites armor through challenges and have the ability to buy or earn new armor ( that isn’t trash ) sort of like fortnite and reach then I could see it working
Anything but randomization. I don't mind cosmetic DLC but putting it in a slot machine is and HAS ALWAYS BEEN downright offensive and insulting to the playerbase.
Map Packs like the old times.
It would be nice if it was cosmetic only, but I don't mean locking all the armor behind a paywall. You could have all the armor be unlock able or purchased with credits, but if you want certain variations like flame jobs, spray painted designs, cracked visors, weapon/vehicle skins, etc. you could either build req toward them or buy it. That way people still feel "a sense of pride and accomplishment" (little battlefront 2 pun for fun) by having them actually unlock all the base armor though playing the game, but if they want to decorate them they could either pay for them of maybe a system where the longer you use something the more unlocks you get like if I used the DMR while wearing Mark V, I could level up in a skill tree for the next weapon skin, DMR attachment, or Mark V decoration, but if I don't want to go through the trouble, I can pay for a skill tree slot.
Oh, boy, do I miss map packs. I remember when Halo 3 was all that, I used to get so excited over that -Yoink-. If Halo 5 had something like that, I would definitely play more often ;(
Map packs would be great.
HYv47 wrote:
As for this thread I would love quality old fashioned paid DLC to return with Halo.
I would rather go back to map packs
How would you address the issue of paid map packs splitting the population into players who have it and players who don't, which sometimes even causes the people who have it to not even get to play on the maps they bought?
jimmy f13 wrote:
The problem with reqs is that they give 343 a very strong incentive to design the whole game around making players want to buy reqs. This means doing things like prioritizing Warzone during development to the point that BTB wasn't even included at launch and is still an afterthought over two years later, and getting extremely sloppy with the design of armor because they want quantity over quality, and so forth. That's why I think the req system is a bad idea.
and halo before never had you pay for armor but was a reward for working for it if it’s like fortnite it’s not as bad but I don’t want to pay just to get the helljumper helmet
Couldn't they have a set of cosmetics (and by cosmetics I mean things like armors, weapon skins, etc.) that are exclusively unlocked as rewards for accomplishments, and another set that is either obtainable with in-game points or real money, and maybe another set that is only obtainable by purchasing with money? Because honestly I can't think of a better way to set up microtransactions in a Halo game than that.
Fair point about the launch. I get not laying all card on the table at launch give free dlc, but 343 should of had a lot more variety at the start (eg firefight, BTB, classic like griftball multi team etc.) the monthly updates should just be maps, armour cosmetics etc. If they find certain playlist have low populations then rotate them out first
It would be nice if it was cosmetic only, but I don't mean locking all the armor behind a paywall. You could have all the armor be unlock able or purchased with credits, but if you want certain variations like flame jobs, spray painted designs, cracked visors, weapon/vehicle skins, etc. you could either build req toward them or buy it. That way people still feel "a sense of pride and accomplishment"
Yes! What I would like to consider "Layered Rewards" with the Base layer (Recon/Challenge armors, visor color, and emblems) being un-ockable purely in the vanilla game.

Then Additional layers (visor effects, armor skins, emblem portraits) in a mixture of pick and choose and rng since you know that this will be implemented in one way or another, so why not keep it away from game variants, so ALL match types are fair and level playing fields for competition and fun.
both map packs and dlc.also like reach earn some of your gear
extra missions or mini campaigns like halo wars 2. I still like reqs when it comes to weapons and vehicles though. they just need to take cosmetics out of it.
Map packs because they make a ton of money and are entirely optional.
I'm okay with REQs and its attachment to micro-transactions as long as the Warzone environment is designed to severely curb its influence.

While I'm not a huge fan of micro-transactions in games I am appreciative of how Halo's Warzone environment attempts to curb the advantage given to those who pay cash to reduce their need to grind and I'm quite pleased that it doesn't prominently intrude into Arena's game-play other than how it affects a player's ability to customize their character and perhaps by drawing some developer resources away. Plus, I love the fact that most DLC content is free of charge because of the REQ system's inclusion which means that the player base isn't fractured between those who paid to have access to certain in-game DLC maps and those who didn't. Not to mention, I'm glad to know that the revenue generated by micro-transactions goes toward on-going support for the title it's a part of as well as other (future or past - like MCC) titles; plus, to back the growth of the eSports scene.

With that said, I do wish though that players had a little more control over purchasing specific REQ items instead of relying nearly 100% on an RNG system and maybe there should be a few more customization items tied to accomplishments and challenges that can't be earned any other way (there are those who love that). Perhaps in the future they could consider adding a means to use REQ Points (RP) to directly purchase specific REQ items even if they come at an inflated cost in comparison to the value of exchanging RP for a REQ pack (see example below). If people want to pay cash to buy REQ packs only to turn around and sell the items within at a fraction of their purchased cost in order to build up enough RP to purchase a particular item they want -- I'm willing to thank them for supporting the Halo franchise with their wallet. By the way, selling multiple quantities of an item at one time should be possible.

EXAMPLE:
  • A single Common REQ item might cost 250 or 2500 RP to purchase independently depending on if it was a one time use Warzone item or a permanent unlock.
  • A single Uncommon REQ item might cost 500 or 5000 RP to purchase independently depending on if it was a one time use Warzone item or a permanent unlock.
  • A single Rare REQ item might cost 1000 or 10000 RP to purchase independently depending on if it was a one time use Warzone item or a permanent unlock.
  • A single Ultra Rare REQ item might cost 2000 or 20000 RP to purchase independently depending on if it was a one time use Warzone item or a permanent unlock.
  • A single Mythic Ultra Rare REQ item might cost 2500 or 25000 RP to purchase independently depending on if it was a one time use Warzone item or a permanent unlock.
  • A single Legendary REQ item might cost 4000 or 40000 RP to purchase independently depending on if it was a one time use Warzone item or a permanent unlock.
  • A single Mythic Legendary REQ item might cost 5000 or 50000 RP to purchase independently depending on if it was a one time use Warzone item or a permanent unlock.
Meanwhile the Bronze REQ pack remains available at 1250 RP, the Silver at 5000 RP or $1.99, the Gold at 10000 RP or $2.99, and I think they should bring back the Platinum as a standard purchasable option but at 15000 RP or $4.99. Then there's the bundled offers at different cash price points and special REQ packs too that are available for a cash price point or a large RP cost. DLC customization REQ Packs like the Voices of War pack or maybe a campaign side story similar in vein to Spartan Ops could remain purchase only in order to bring in additional revenue and perhaps more story.

Lastly, I also wouldn't mind seeing the Warzone environment and Forge becoming Free-to-Play year round to the public for anyone who has an Xbox Live Gold membership (see my thread about that HERE). I believe that would help bolster the population within that particular environment of the game while also opening up the micro-transaction revenue to more potentially interested players who didn't need to initially pay for the game first. By getting acclimated to the game's mechanics and growing their experience with the title under the free-to-play section I think there would be a decent chance that they would eventually want to unlock access to additional aspects of the title by purchasing the full title. For this to work properly though I think they'd have to tone down the XP and RP payouts for playing the PvE only Firefight modes while boosting the XP and RP payouts for those who play Arena matches.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2