Do you like halo going F2P

OP GrayXl

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2

Do you like halo going F2P?

Poll Ended

I wouldn’t mind the F2P model only if it meant they wouldn’t mess with anything but since it is a F2P model I knew they were going to eventually lock something behind a paywall even with cosmetic items, I get it some people will say “stop crying it’s just cosmetic items” - But the fact is I like customizing and I’m tired of seeing all these cool items locked behind paywalls and even if I can unlock it through gameplay the F2P model makes it even boring to grind for since they make it longer to level up to get it. 343 says “we know some people may not like this, but we’re excited!” Like why does that even matter yes I know I’m being and sounding entitled but we the player base are not excited... it just sounds to me they’re excited for the amount of revenue that will come from these paywalls smh.
If the monetization is like CoD Warzone, I'm ok with it. I never cared about skins. Halo is always red vs. blue in arena except of FFA so colors aren't that important. The f2p model might help Halo get a huge playerbase and hopefully that will help our splitted community get every playlist we want and need to be happy with Infinite. F2p is the right way for our hurt beloved franchise.
I wouldn't mind it if it didn't harm the quality of the game. Big player base is good. If those who paid got all the content, and the limited version is an option for those who don't want to pay for it, that would be better. But the way it seems to be affecting Halo makes me vote no to this
I don't like it, but it could turn out to be useful in the long run. Depending on how it's handled.
[deleted]
I already don't recognize Halo anymore. Microtransactions in Halo 5 crossed the line, and I'm not playing it if I have to drop hundreds of dollars or thousands of hours to not look like a Spartan Smurf.
Not particularly. I like the idea of adding more fans to the franchise, but there are some drawbacks:
  • people who wouldn't play Halo unless it is free aren't real Halo fans who would contribute to the franchise as a whole (sorry if that sounds like gatekeeping)
  • Making MP free means the game should be cheaper to purchase, so Infinite shouldn't cost the usual $60. If a huge chunk of the game is free, then those who buy the full game shouldn't have to pay full price if part of the game is being released for free anyway
  • There's a famous saying in business: "If you are not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold". I'd rather just pay for the dang game and be the customer.
  • If the game is free to purchase, then microtransactions will likely take on an ever-increasing role in the game
I can see a number of potential positives and negatives. Some of the positives:
  • A large player population. Infinite will have the largest population of any Halo game since 3. This will lead to a resurgence in popularity that Halo needs.
  • Halo multiplayer will be more accessible than ever.
There are only two major potential negatives that I can see as a result of the free to play model:
  • Possible over-monetization. I understand that 343/Microsoft need to make money, and I am completely fine with some microtransactions and/or paid DLC. What I am concerned about is if they take it too far, like what we are seeing now with the backlash to the new customization system.
  • Cheaters. It is no secret that free to play games are plagued with cheaters, especially on PC. 343 needs to have a good anti-cheat system in place.
I mean, there's no real middle of the road answer... and by that I mean, if certain unlocks are behind an actual cash money barrier, then no, I'm not ok with with it. If however, I still have the ability to unlock everything without having to pay for it (ie; playtime, req points), then that's fine. I'm playing the game anyway for that specific purpose, to grind to 152 and while on that path, finish my commendations and attempt to unlock everything... I'll never pay cash money for unlocks (customization)...
I don't trust it.
I hope to be proven wrong though and will admit so IF they pull it off.
I don't really mind it. The bigger the population, the better
I think that it won't really work, sure they are increasing the size but along with it are a lot of "Fortnite Kids", people just looking for free games that ruin the fan base.
There needs to be a mixed option. While I like it going F2P, I think it leads to bad habits that can't be ironed out... Like Hackers, Monetization and other nastiness
its a great idea, the population is going to be crazy because of free to play and more people will get to try it out because of it not having a price tag on it
The problem with the F2P model is that it has to add features to monetize, or monetize already existing features. The first option isn't bad if the new features don't effect gameplay, the second model is really scummy and should be completely bypassed by buying the game for $60 (which it never is because that'd be less profitable SMH). 343 so far has gone with the hidden third option, removing features, replacing them with worse features, and monetizing that feature. I am 100% against it, but believe that there should be an option to buy the game for $60 and bypass all monetization (get all monetized content for no extra price).
I’d rather pay a premium entry fee for a triple A game so that I don’t have to deal with egregious micro transaction scumbag monetization. Unfortunately, halo infinite seems to be pulling a destiny.
F2P is inevitably going to bring in even more microtransactions, and possibly even advertisements. If we are stuck with a f2p multiplayer, I think that people that actually buy the game should have some sort of major reward, such as an xp boost, or proper customization. Achievements should be directly tied to armor customization, like in Halo 3. Even tie it to the MCC and Halo 5. But not microtransactions
Sypriz wrote:
its a great idea, the population is going to be crazy because of free to play and more people will get to try it out because of it not having a price tag on it
On one hand, it’s great that more people get to play Halo.

On the other, Halo is going to be the new Fortnite, which is going to soil the entire franchise
Sypriz wrote:
On one hand, it’s great that more people get to play Halo.

On the other, Halo is going to be the new Fortnite, which is going to soil the entire franchise
i don't think it'll soil it, it will just become mainstream if people like it
I think free to play is a good decision
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2